Chapter 30- Many sides of Yeon Hee

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The other half of the chapter is kinda different because I've written it in a new POV.

You'll see soon enough what I mean.

 **********************************************

 

„ Eun Ji, get your head out of your papers and look up when you are speaking.“ The third year dark heared girl who Yeon Hee just spoke to immediately blushed and nodded, proceeding to look up. Yeon Hee tapped her pencil on the edge of her chair, staring at her debate club on the stage. Split into two times of 5, they were currently debating about the consequences of globalization, their topic that day. Okimura, who was loking half normal after almost 10 days of being sick, was sitting at the edge of the stage looking at them while she was sitting in the first row, glancing between them and her note pad. Eun Ji-tendency to avoid eye contact with the audience, may cause the impression of insecurity. She looked at her cellphone and raised her hand. Time's up.

„ That's enough. Do Hyun, your answer to Eun Ji's rhetoric.“ The second year boy with big hazel eyes smirked, walking to the front without any papers, fully confident in himself.

„ I am convinced my colleague gave her arguments a lot of thought but I tend to disagree.“

„ I am shocked.“ Yeon Hee heard another second year student, the short girl with black and pink hair and a permanent bored expression on her face scoffing behind him, not even sparing him a glance from her chair. Do Hyun pierced Hyo Jin with a hateful look and she responded by loudly popping a gum in his direction. Nam Do Hyun- shows great potential, but his ego is his weak spot. You get him to lose his cool, he is done. Hyo Jin winked at him and waved her hand nonchalantly in his direction.

„  Go on. Dazzle us all.“ Hyo Jin-extremely lazy even by Yeon Hee's standards. Very bratty and very spoiled. Shows the greatest talent for public speaking, but her laziness makes her unprepared. Plus-tends to irritate her opponent to death, making him lose his patience. Minus-she tends to irritate Yeon Hee as well at times. Like now.

„ Hyo Jin.“ She spoke, her voice calm and low, making them all turn to her. Hyo Jin frowned a little in return, already expecting a scolding from her president.

„ If I wanted to hear brattiness, I would just listen to myself whole day. Also, get rid of the gum when you speak.“ The girl proceeded to take out the gum in a dramatic way and put it under Do Hyun's chair while Yeon Hee wrote a note in her note pad.

„ I would pick that up if I were you. Who knows where it may end up in the end,  Hyo Jin-ah.“ She nonchalantly spoke, not looking up from her notes, causing them all to giggle like little children.

„ Do Hyun, you have your 6 minutes. Points of information from the other team are open after the first minute and before the last one. Hyo Jin, you can't ask Do Hyun anything to trip him up, taking into consideration you are really on his team. “ The boy stopped giggling and proceeded to explain his stance on bad sides of globalization as Yeon Hee listened, looking at her cellphone while the other team interrupted him three times to ask questions which he wanted to explain in graphic detail. Yeon Hee snapped her fingers at him when he finally finished speaking.

„ Your arguments are not bad, but you didn't need to accept that last question, OK? You broke your time limit. Remember, you have to accept two, anything more than that can become burden. Don't push it.“ She looked at her vicepresident who nodded back and raised his glasses.

„ Before our final word and conclusion, I am going to tell you what I've noticed so far so be careful who you choose to give the closing word. Also, Okimura has new information about the competition in April which he wants to share with you.“ Okimura got off the stage and joined her, holding his trusty tablet, glancing between his president and the rest of the club. Yeon Hee clapped a little to get their undividided attention and all 10 of them approached and sat down near the edge waiting for her commentary. They were improving themselves.She looked at the 4 boys and 6 girls in front of her, crossing her arms on her chest. They were different ages and they all had different reasons for joining the debate club. Some, like Hyo Jin, joined because they needed to get an extracurricular activity and they chose the debate club, thinking it was going to be easy. Some, like Eun Ji, joined to overcome their fear of public speaking and some like Do Hyun joined because they were genuinely interested in debating. Gong Sil on the other hand joined " to talk his way into girls...hearts".She cringed at that memory remembering Hyo Jin response.

You really need all the help you can get in that area sunbae, fighting! Yeon Hee smiled at them, remembering everything she encountered while running the debate club, remembering everything her members did in the last couple of years. Yes, they were all here for different reasons but almost all of them really took a shine to debating, including Hyo Jin no matter how much she pretended to be disinterested. On a level.....they were like a very noisy, smartass, sassy family. And they were all stuck with her. Lucky people.... Yeon Hee sighed once, glancing over all of their faces.

„ You are not bad kids, but....“

„ Ah, the famous but.“ Geun Young, another fourth year who joined because of pure interest spoke up with a dissatisfied expression on her face,

„ How nice of you to volunteer to be first Geun Young, your president really appreciates it." Yeon Hee said, putting a hand on her chest, acting like she was touched. Geun Young shook her head and pressed her lips not to smile at her, listening to the rest of her comment.

"You were very eloquent, you get extra points for that graceful response to our darling Hyo Jin's question but you have a tendency to drift away from the topic in question. If it were not time limited response, I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but it may seem like you are lost and unprepared for the real topic. Keep an eye on it, OK?“ Geun Young nodded, not offended at all at her president's advice.

„ Eun Ji, remember what I said about practicing in front of the mirror at home. You are improving yourself, no doubt about it, but you have to keep an eye contact with me, the audience and your opponent. You have to appear confident, not arrogant, because it may cause hostility- especially amongst the judges.“ Eun Ji nodded at the advice and smiled in return.

„ Hyo Jun, as always absolutely delightful and...horribly unprepared. I personally appreciate you ability to bull, but it would be better if you have something to bull about.“ Hyo Jun rolled her eyes when Yeon Hee continued to dish out commentary which she finally finished when she went for her cup of coffee and returned back to her seat letting Okimura take over.

„ OK, guys, the competition is in the beginning of April. The panel is about international relations, most of the focus is on Korea's relations with the rest of Asia, especially China and Japan, European Union and USA. The teams are consisted of four members.“ The members started whispering to each other with slight fear and excitement on their faces when Yeon Hee spoke again.

„ Now guys, the principal is used to having that trophy in her office for the last three years and your president is used to winning. So, the four that go must be thoroughly prepared.“  She suddenly felt the hairs rising on the back of her neck and a strange unsettling feeling took over her, like something suddenly changed in the room. Geun Young raised her hand, biting her lip as she asked her question.

„ How do we get to decide which four are going to the competition?“ Yeon Hee mentally scolded herself for her thoughts and tried to respond as calmly as possible, hoping she was just being paranoid.

„ Well, it's pretty simple. I am giving you 10 days to prepare yourselves the best you can because we are going to have our own little competition here. You will be facing each other. Okimura will draw up similar questions to the ones you can expect in the competition. I will get some unbiased people to judge you. They will judge you by the quality of your arguments, the strength of your rhetoric, your charisma and the ability to think on your feet. The four that are judged to be the best are going to be in the team. After that, the chosen four will have special team building exercises until the competition, OK?“ The members started talking again, interrupting each other, excitement obvious on their faces as they discussed the mini competition. Hyo Jin suddenly raised her hand and narrowed her eyes at Yeon Hee.

„ So Okimura and you are not going to participate?“

„ I am taking a break, I will only be managing the team but not actively participating. Senpai, on the other hand....“ Okimura  turned to her, his eyebrow raised in question and Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders, casually brushing her hair from her shoulder.

„ I haven't decided yet. Perhaps.“ Hyo Jin frowned a little at her response before returning to discuss the competition with Eun Ji. Yeon Hee's eyes followed the youngest member of the club with interest, curving her lips as she thought about her. Hyo Jin was a competitive spirit, fully aware she had the most natural talent and wanting to measure it with Okimura and Yeon Hee.  I do wonder if I can use that....

„ I am giving you a five minute break before the finishing argument. Think about how you want to end the debate today and convince me you have proven your point.“ Yeon Hee spoke loudly, drinking another sip of her coffee while watching her club members jump up and regroup again, silently discussing who was going to be chosen to give the closing word. She smiled knowingly at Okimura who walked over to her, lifting his glasses as he did.

„ Unbiased judges?“ He spoke to her in Japanese like usual, even though his Korean was perfect. Yeon Hee was one of the rare people he could speak fast conversational Japanese in school because it reminded him of home, making him feel less homesick. Taking into consideration how good her kohai was in dealing with birocracy, smartasses and her, that was the least she could do. Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders, tapping her finger on her cup.

„ It's time to call in some favours.“ He smiled before pointing at his tablet.

„ It seems our old friends confirmed their arrival.“ Yeon Hee raised her eyebrow at him, a smug smile creeping on her lips.

„ She is coming this year too?“ Okimura nodded causing Yeon Hee to smile widely, leaning back into her seat. Well, well, well... Taeyeon was coming this year too.

„ The score is 2 to 0, right?“ She asked nonchalantly, looking to the side.

„ Like you don't know that, senpai.“ Yeon Hee laughed, passing her finger over the lid of her cup.

„ Well, I think it would be a shame if I didn't give her an opportunity to finally beat me. After all, this is the last year it can happen.“

„ You plan on joining the competition then, senpai?“ He asked, already aware of the answer she was going to give him.

„ It would really be such a shame if I didn't give her one last chance. How could I ever be so cruel?"  Okimura rolled his eyes when she suddenly stood up and clapped to get their attention.

„ Listen up, guys. Change of plans. I will be joining you in the mini competition.“ All of a sudden sheer panic appeared on most of their faces.

„ Sunbae?“ Do Hyun asked, confusion obvious on his face.

„ I have some unfinished business with an old rival and meeting her at the competition in April would make very..... happy. So, this is the deal. Okimura will prepare the questions and keep them secret from everyone, including me. The judges are still completely unbiased.“ She smirked at them slightly.

„ If you manage to beat me, you will be able to take anyone down. So... try to beat me guys. Who knows, maybe it's time to get dethroned by one of you. Hold your own against me and you will hold your own against anyone.“

„ Can we get more time to prepare then?“ Hyo Jun asked, excitement and resolve obvious on her face. Ah..there it is. The competitive spirit.

„ Very well. Two weeks. In two weeks the mini competition will be held. Fair warning, guys. I will not go easy on you.“ She turned around fully aware of Okimura's wide smile.

„ You know perfectly well that even if they had a century to practice, they wouldn't be able to beat you.“ He spoke again in Japanese while laughing at his words, hiding it behind his palm. Yeon Hee narrowed her eyes at him, shaking her head in fake disappointment.

„ My God, aren't you a pessimist.“ 

„ I am just being realistic. Taeyeon has been trying to beat you for years now and they will do it after two weeks? Please.“ Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders, pulling the sleeves of her shirt.

„ That doesn't matter. Imagine how much harder they will practice now when they think they can beat me. How much more prepared they will be. They will knock the real competition out of the park in April. Plus, at least I got Hyo Jun to ing prepare for something once in her life.“ Okimura's eyes found Hyo Jin on the stage and he sighed, seeing her bicker with Do Hyun again.

„ She is a competitive spirit.“ Yeon Hee grabbed her cup of coffee and nodded, following his gaze.

„ Indeed. I think we will finally see her full potential. To tell you the truth, she may be the future of the debate club when you and I leave.“

„ Now that's a depressing thought, senpai.“  He whsipered shaking his head, causing her to laugh loudly. His expression suddenly changed to confusion mixed with fear as he stared at the seats behind her. She turned around to see his Majesty sitting in the back row, his legs raised on the chair in front of him, him leaning back with his hands behind his head, looking completely relaxed like he owned the ing room. He noticed her glare and slowly waved at her, making no additional move like getting up from the seat. Oh, God..... what now?! She clenched her teeth, a wrinkle showing between her eyes when she frowned. At least now she knows what that weird feeling she got earlier was all about.

„ I need to go take care of something.“ Okimura backed away slowly, avoiding the 's look like it was the plague.

„ No problem, senpai.“ She rolled her eyes and bit her lip in frustration, climbing up to the back row, already pissed off at his mere presence. He leaned back and closed his eyes like he was sleeping, his tie loose, his hair rustled, the sleeves on his shirt raised like he was vacationing, a lone folder laying on his lap. Yeon Hee tapped her fingers on the chair in front of him.

„ Yah, move your feet! Do you think this is your ing bedroom?“ He smirked, not even opening his eyes.

„  Look who's talking. Already forgot what happened this morning?“ Forgot?! I am ing traumatized for life here. She sighed once, trying to calm herself down.

„ If this is about that again, I asked Tao and he said it was OK. What happened with Luhan was entirely your fault.“ He opened one of his sharp black eyes and stared at her.

„ Who the hell wakes up like that?“

„ Excuse me, the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was your face! Who wants to see that first thing in the morning?!“ She knew she shouldn't have gone to sleep in their playroom, but she was so ing tired.  She may or may not have watched One Piece until like three in the morning, so she was really desperate and sleepy and they weren't there, so she grabbed a chance. She closed her eyes for 10 minutes, setting her alarm to wake her up before they arrived. But unfortunately....they arrived early. And there she was, having absolutely weird dreams in which Luffy's crew consisted of the ing dweebs and Tao was asking her something stupid in the dream. Next thing she knows, she smelled cinammon and pinetrees instead of sea air, which reminded of something, of someone....And then her alarm was going off and she opened her eyes. The first thing she saw when she opened them was the douchebag's face. What would a person think?! What would a person do?! OK, maybe screaming and almost breaking her neck and Luhan's nose was a little too much, but Lord Jesus, she was in full out panic mode, totally forgetting at that moment where she was and that she was the one at fault for falling asleep there. Not to mention he was having fun mocking her for that. She had been cringing the whole day because of it.

He pouted slightly, twisting his face into one of those discustingly cute expressions that made her not want to look at him. Ever.

„ I was just making sure you didn't miss school, I know how much you would hate that, partner. But that was some dream you had. Was it about me?“ Ahm, none of your business! And, no!

„ I don't know. Was I screaming in the dream the way I screamed when I saw your face?“ He smirked a little at her response.

„ I always have that effect on girls.“ Egomaniac. She rolled her eyes and raised her cup of coffee to her lips when he suddenly snatched it away, drinking from it. Son of a !

„ Yah, stop drinking my coffee!“ He shrugged his shoulders and continued to drink.

„ Like you didn't drink mine yesterday.“ Well....I was desperate.

„ The cups looked the same, and I accidentally switched them.“

„ Yours was empty.“ There is no need to be so nitpicky about it. It has nothing to do with the current situation. She breathed deep before frowning at him.

„ I still maintain it was an accident. And just for future reference, put more sugar in yours.“

„ Why, so you can accidentally drink from it again?“ Jesus, you are giving me a headache! She rubbed her temple, sighing as she spoke again.

„ Just get on with it, why are you even here?“ He shrugged his shoulders, slightly whistling in his chin.

 „ Always so impatient....“ She snapped her fingers at him, furrowing her eyebrows.

„ Today, your Majesty.“ He started playing with his leather bracelet, looking completely relaxed.

„ I need to take care of someone but our contract is limiting my options. Now..... me being such a good partner, I came to ask you to suspend one of the rules for....I don't know 10 minutes, so I can deal with it. After all, I wouldn't dream of damaging our contract in any way.“ The no bullying act. Ah, yes, she put that in the contract as well. Mostly because she remembered the look of fear on the boy he picked on the day she got him arrested. There were many things she hated about him, God oh so many she should have a list somewhere, but that one was one of the worst. Surprisingly, he didn't even seem bothered by it, saying  that he needed nobody to bully when he had her to make her life a living hell. What prevented her from punching him at that moment was pure willpower.On the other hand, she had to talk with Tao about that as well and somehow that turned out with him being on the edge of tears thinking he had pissed off his noona(seriously the boy was as emotional as Ji An in one of her inspiration waves) and it all ended up with her patting his back and telling him he could go shopping with them that weekend. That picked his mood right up. Jesus how the she turned into a caretaker for the boy.... But alas, now instead of one fashion expert she got two y ones. She really was a lucky woman....Wait, hold up. Pay attention to the conversation, Yeon Hee.

„ Why would I do that?“ She asked, snatching her coffee back from him.

„ That rule had nothing to do with us and  I still agreed to it, mostly because bothering you provides me with enough fun as it is. But now I need to have it suspended  so I can teach someone a lesson.“ Teach someone a lesson. Lord, you are an asshat. She frowned at him, raising the corner of her lip in distaste.

„ No. Whatever it is, I am sure you can talk it out with that person. After all, you managed to negotiate with me. Everybody else is a piece of cake.“

„ Yeah, that would be true, if it wasn't for the person we are talking about. I don't want to waste my breath on him.“ He crossed his arms, turning her attention to her debate club on the stage, ignoring the glare she was giving him.

„ I am telling you, your Majesty, I will consider any violent act from your side as a direct violation of our truce. If you are willing to risk our truce, go right ahead.“ She turned around, already feeling the throbbing in her head. His voice was nothing short of amused when he spoke.

„ Well then, that was hardly unexpected.  I know you would hate to see me bother anybody but you, Yeon Hee-ah. But don't worry, you are still the first one on my list.“

„ Thank God, I was already beginning to panic.“ She responded, rolling her eyes at his stupidity even if he couldn't see it. She heard him laugh a little behind her and she couldn't resist to turn around. . And she wasn't even talking about him...

„ Yixing came to see me an hour ago, saying he was worried about Hae Sook. It seems the budget has been suddenly breached today, threatening the whole project. Now, of course I demanded to see the documents and you would never know what I found.“ She pressed her head, the irritation growing in her chest. New problems. Just what she needed right now.

„ I am sure whatever it is Hae Sook can take care of it alone. I am not in any of the clubs who have their exhibition in the park, your Majesty, and I have been neglecting my club for far too long. I promised to help her with the speech, I did. I took care of the the manager too. I like the girl but I am convinced she is fully capable of solving everything else on her own.“ He nodded, loosening his tie even more.

„ That's exactly how she feels. Like she has to deal with this on her own.  But she can't. Not this time.“

„ So, you are solving it for her?“ She asked with a slight mocking smile on her lips. That was a surprise. In the beginning she was worried about them working together, taking into consideration Hae Sook was innocent and kind and he was the most annoying jackass on the planet. But much to her surprise, he managed to get her to like him instantly, always making her laugh, even getting her to eat lunch with them (even though Yeon Hee had invited her before) which led to her bringing a couple of her friends and Yixing, plus Min Woo took it upon himself to check upon his girls right then, bringing a few of his friends which all led to her lunch time turning into a circus show. Long gone were those days where she slept during lunch, her head buried in her backpack on the table, listening to Soo Ae and Ji An argue about something. No wonder she wanted to have a moment of peace that morning. Which turned into one of the most traumatic events in her life....

„  She didn't even tell me at first. She said she was ashamed of herself for letting it happen and that she was thinking of a way to handle it. But, taking into consideration who we are talking about here, I sincerely doubt she was given a choice. Now, I started to like the girl and I still owe her for the gwiyomi you did, so.....“ She frowned a little, remembering the scene from the coffee shop. God, So much shame it hurts her deep within. No, Yeon Hee, he is just trying to get on your nerves. Hae Sook. Problems. Focus.

 „ I am sure she can handle him, whoever he is.“ He smiled slightly before leaning forward, his warm breath, a combination of the smell of coffee with a side of cinammon, caressing the skin on her cheeks.

„ His own mother can't handle him.“ OH. Of course.

„ Choi Young Ho. Of course.“ He nodded, the smile reappearing on his face.

„ Now when I finally got your attention, are you reconsidering the suspension?“Oh, for s sake.... She snatched the folder from his hands and opened it, glancing through the papers. I'll deal with it. I can't very well let you go and ing ruin this truce because of such a moron.Plus....it was no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter