Chapter 46- Baby girl

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Moon Ji Woon's POV

 

„ It's really bad.“ Mrs. Song whispered while staring at the same sight as him. Ji Woon adjusted his glasses and nodded in agreement.

„ I know.“

„ No, Sir, it's really, really bad.“ She exclaimed, putting the plates for dinner on the table with a loud thump before turning to the refrigerator and opening it wide, pointing at something inside.

„ You see this? I've baked this yesterday. Her favourite cake.“ Oh, God.

„ It's untouched.“ He said, looking at the tempting chocolate cake. Ahjumma nodded before closing the door with a bang.

„ Not only that. Her ice cream is still here, brand new, her secret stashes have not been disturbed in days and she hasn't opened the cupboard with the rest of the candy.“ It's unbelievable. His daughter never went a day without something sweet. For the last 10 days she hasn't even touched it. She has barely eaten anything at all.

„ It's not only food. Couple of days ago I found full bottles of shampoo in the trash as well.“ Shampoo? Ahjumma raised her hand and started to count the things she found in the trash during last week on her fingers.

„ Cinammon. I don't know why...but she got rid of all cinammon in the house. Not to mention she threw out all the boxes of strawberry tea as well.“ Ji Woon scratched his head in confusion while looking at ahjumma.

„ What does cinammon have to do with this?“ Ahjumma shrugged her shoulders before continuing.

„ You know I bought those adorable little cans of air freshener with the pinetree scent? That's gone too.“

„ What is this, spring cleaning?! Why would she get rid of those things?“ Ahjumma tilted her head to the side, thinking thoroughly about the situation before responding.

„ I think it's some kind of a cleansing ritual. She is trying to get rid of everything that reminds her of the boy.“

„ Like shampoo and air freshener?“ Ji Woon frowned  in disbelief while taking his glasses off and cleaning them on his shirt as ahjumma continued to talk, moving around the kitchen. Ji Woon returned his gaze on the balcony where his only daughter was sitting in a lounge chair, being covered in a thin blanket to protect her from the cold while reading a book with headphones on her head. Ahjumma continued to speak, turning her head to the dinner cooking on the stove.

„ That's not all. You see those headphones on her head? Nothing is playing. She hasn't listened to music in...“

„ 10 days.“ Ji Woon nodded, letting out a deep sigh. Mrs. Song leaned on the counter, crossing her arms before nodding to herself, finally coming to her conclusion.

„ This is heartbreak, nothing else can cause her to be like this.“  They both stared at Yeon Hee when she moved a strand of her hair that fell from the messy bun on her head before looking up at the sky. She then shook her head and turned the next page, all the while not looking back at the apartment. Ji Woon felt anger growing in him as he saw the most precious creature in his life like that, so different and distant. My baby girl. My only daughter being like this because of that boy? He pressed his lips before speaking. not even trying to hide the frustration in his voice.

„ I warned the boy. I warned him not do anything stupid. And he still hurts her? I am going to make him suffer so much he is going to wish he was never born.....“. Mrs. Song tapped her fingers on the counter for a couple of moments before loudly sighing.

„ Normally, I would be all up for that Sir, but let's take a moment to think about it rationally. The boy was in love with her, there is no doubt about it. He looked at her like she was a miracle.“

„ Because she is.“ Ji Woon said through his gritted teeth, his heart aching in his chest at the sight of his daughter.

„ I agree. But even if she is a miracle, she is still Yeon Hee. You know Sir, as well as I do, how complicated she can be when it comes to feelings. We can't suppose right off the bat that she had nothing to do with the break up. Let's just get all the facts straight before going to murder the boy.“ God, he hated when Mrs. Song was reasonable. Because there was something very true in the words she had just said. Could Yeon Hee have done something that led to this? He knew his daughter well and he knew how unwilling she had become to show her emotions to anyone. She has always been the one to keep her feelings to herself but after Soo Eun... Ji Woon sighed once before whispering his next words.

„ Last time I saw her like this, it was right after Soo Eun died. You don't happen to think any of this mess has anything with her death anniversary two days ago?“ Mrs. Song shook her head, moving away from the counter to set the dinner on the table before looking up at him again.

„  I think memories of that just made her feel worse. But no, all in all, this is a new kind of pain for her. This is a love issue, I am sure of it.“ Ji Woon kept looking to the balcony, his eyes fixed on Yeon Hee who had barely moved in the last couple of minutes.

„ Love issue. I never had to deal with something like this before. My baby is...“ Mrs. Song stopped setting the glasses on the table, watching him as he rubbed his eyes under his glasses.

„ Sometimes I miss her mother so much. She would know what to do at this moment.“ Mrs. Song suddenly hit the counter with a spatula, making him jump up at the sudden noise.

„ Sir, if you didn't write my paycheck I would use this spatula on you now. You Moons are never insecure, God knows the only thing that's bigger than your brains is your arrogance. And now I have one heartbroken Moon on the balcony and one hesitant in my kitchen? A-a, we are not doing this......“

„ No offense for the arrogance comment, Sir.“ She added, acting apologetically but Ji Woon just nonchalantly waved his hand in the air before responding.

„ How can I be offended when it's true, Mrs. Song?" Arrogance. A character trait both him and his daughter shared. Ahjumma raised her eyebrow at him while pointing her spatula at his chest.

„ You always say she is a Moon like you, don't you? She has always been your baby girl even if she is a grown woman now. You know her better than anyone. You are the one she loves the most, the only one she has, the one she needs right now. You will know what to do, Mister Moon. You will know what to say. Because she is yours.“ She nodded to herself when she finished her monologue before turning around to clean the kitchen.

Ji Woon smiled, looking over the apartment remembering it all, remembering just how deeply he loved his daughter and the bond they had. She was his. She has always been his. Ever since her mother found out she was pregnant with a child, Ji Woon thought of  the unborn baby as his, his everything. All those nights while his wife would fall asleep early in his arms, he would look at her and her pregnant belly with pure adoration in his eyes. He would draw patterns on her stomach making sure his baby felt it, so that she always knew he was there. The first time she kicked was when he whispered to her that he loved her more than anything else in the world, that he would always protect her from any harm. He didn't admit it out loud to his wife, but he always thought of the baby as a girl from the very beginning. He would say he didn't care for the gender as long as the baby was healthy but he always hoped for a mini Soo Eun in his arms. A little girl who would be just as amazing as her mother. Of course, when they finally got her, he realized he got even more than he bargained for. The beautiful baby girl soon revealed herself as a full pledged Moon from her very first words and he couldn't be happier at that moment. She was more than he could ever hope for. From her habit of pulling off his glasses and trying to chew them as a baby, to her habit of snuggling into his chest when she felt sleepy, the way she would pull at his nose if she was bored, she made him fall in love with her so much that he never wanted to let go of her- making his wife complain she was a total daddy's girl and that she felt ignored. He smiled to himself as he glanced at the table in the dining room and remembered the way little Yeon Hee in her historical outfit was giving out her performance for him on the table, causing ahjumma to have a heart attack in the process. Her smug smile and a theatrical bow she gave him before running away from ahjumma still made him laugh to this day.

Or the way she would shuffle her little feet in the living room, jumping on him while curving her lips into a pout, saying that eomma wanted her to wear stupid  frilly socks and that she would rather listen to ahjumma give her a speech about vegetables for two days straight than wear them. The way she proved herself as the most wonderful brat in the world when she told ahjumma she was her little girl, no matter the blood they didn't have in common. It was then he realized she was even more special than he could ever imagine. That people wouldn't be able to resist her in a thousand years. They could have resisted her brilliant mind or her smart tongue but her heart was going to knock down all the walls people built around them. He remembered the way she did her victory dance when she first beat him in chess, shuffling her feet on the carpet, earning herself an applause from everyone in the room. He was stunned then, he had to admit. She was even smarter than he originally thought. He remembered the way his daughter would lay down on the floor, surrounded by books at the age of 4 saying that she wants to learn everything that eomma and apba know and know it better. The way she looked at him in the eye during dinner one night, saying that she will be running his firm one day, causing her mother to almost choke on rice from laughter. She was a competitive spirit and she never had any real competition, so Ji Woon had to become that for her, he had to become something she would surpass one day.

He remembered the way she looked at her mother on the day of the costume party in her elementary school when her mother suggested she dressed as a princess.

„ Princesses are boring. I want to be a witch. They have more fun.“ She then proceeded to look at him for confirmation which he gave her without hesitation.

„ She is right. Witches do have more fun.“

„ But princesses have a crown.“ Her mother responded, giving him a death glare. His little girl just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter