Chapter 36- Birthday girl

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

„ Sweetie, wake up.“Yeon Hee shook her head and buried it deeper within the pillow, trying to ignore her mother's voice.

„ Yeon Hee-ah, wake up!“ She heard her mother's voice again, now growing impatient when she pinched her leg under the covers.

„Yah, eomma, let me sleep!“ Yeon Hee mumbled, pulling her legs closer to her chin so her mother couldn't reach them.

„ It's time to wake up, birthday girl.“  Yeon Hee pulled the covers over her head, scoffing back at her.

„ Can't my birthday gift be more sleep?“ She heard her mother sigh for a moment and she felt extra weight on the bed when she sat beside her.

„ You are going to miss the gifts and the cake if you continue to sleep...."

„ It can wait.“ Yeon Hee mumbled, trying to get back to sleep. Her mother chuckled a little and leaned her head on Yeon Hee's back, looking up at the ceiling with a sigh. There was a comfortable silence for a couple of minutes before Yeon Hee heard her again.

„ Sweetie, the stars are fading away. In a couple of years you won't be able to see them at all.“

„ So what if they fade away? The only thing that matters is that we painted them together. I mean, you did, with me as your moral support......“ She pressed herself deeper in bed, expecting her mother to tickle her sides, just like she always did when she tried to get her out of bed. But it didn't happen this time. Yeon Hee heard her sigh when she whispered her next words.

 „ They are not enough for you anymore. My little warrior is not so little after all.“ No. This was strange. Unfamiliar. This is not how it went. This is not how it happened.

 „You have to find yourself new stars to gaze upon. You have to let go of these.“ Yeon Hee felt the shivers on her spine as her mother's weight disappeared from her back. She felt her voice close to her ear this time while the feeling of something being wrong grew in her chest.

 „ Yeah, sounds good!“

„ It is time to open your birthday presents Yeon Hee. Eomma searched far and wide for hers.“ She felt her heart beating fast and she moved a little, ignoring the discomfort in her chest when she spoke again.

„ We fly here...“

„ That must be one hell of a good gift you got me then.“ She felt her mother laugh in her ear.

„ B.A.P!“

„ Good....yes I guess you can say that. But it's also kinda bad.“

„ Why would you get me a bad birthday gift?“ Yeon Hee asked, pouting beneath the duvet. She felt her mother chuckling when she gently tugged on her hair.

„ Leggo!“

„ But if it wasn't bad sweetie.....how would you ever fall for it?“ Yeon Hee opened her eyes suddenly with the sounds of No Mercy from B.A.P echoing through the room, feeling the tension in her chest caused by her dream. Sweet baby Jesus, again! God! Her subconcious was a giant . Every ing year the same thing. She took a sharp intake of air and closed her eyes again. She knew this was going to happen. Always around her birthday, like it was a giant cosmic joke. She always dreamt about that last birthday she celebrated with her, her thirteenth birthday. She felt the pain in her chest at the thought and she gripped the duvet, pulling it closer to her chin. Always the same... Wait. But was it? The second part of the dream wasn't like always. This time there was no tickle fight to get her out of the bed. No....she said something to her. She could almost catch the words at the end of her consciousness, she could almost hear them again.....

„ Boom, clap, boom, boom, clap.....“ She snapped out of her thoughts when she realized she was hearing B.A.P. Oh, no, no, NO! She widened her eyes in realization as she listened to her fifth alarm go off, which meant she was in the red zone. As in super late.

„ !“ She yelled, jumping out of bed and then stumbling over her slippers, feeling the pain appear in her ankle. ing awesome. She cursed, gripping her ankle and jumping on one foot.

„ Oh, I am so screwed.....“ She turned around looking for her school uniform which was hanging by the door, pulling it off the hanger, then pulling the skirt and her shirt on, still jumping around. Tie, tie, tie.... She noticed it on her spelling bee trophy from sixth grade on the other side of bed, so she jumped on it to grab it, going for her socks in the drawer next. For the next two minutes she was still jumping on her leg, biting her tie while she was pulling her socks on and when she finally made it, with her ankle screaming from the abuse, she ran in her bathroom, tying her tie on the way. She quickly washed her face and took her toothbrush, cursing herself in her thoughts. So, so, so screwed........so, so, so late. She looked at her pale face in the mirror, violently brushing her teeth, looking tired and flustered. Dreaming of her mother, ing up her ankle, being late on her birthday...what a nice way to start a day. ing amazing. She suddenly stopped and looked at herself. My birthday. 19 years. She smiled slightly at her reflection, pointing her tootbrush at the mirror.

„ Happy birthday, stupid. Next time...move the damn slippers.“ She finished washing and grabbed her hair brush, utangling her hair and turning around to find  her scrunchie which was, of course, not there. ing awesome. So hair down it is. She ran back to her bedroom, grabbing her backpack and throwing random books in, picking up her cellphone which was still playing music, then shuffling her feet outside going for her sneakers. Oh, I am going to have to run. She grabbed the first pair of shoes from the cupboard and quickly put them on, going for her coat next. She was almost by the door when she snapped her fingers, hitting herself lightly on her head. Candy. Chocolate sticks. I should take a couple and eat them while running. God... I will even have to bribe his majesty the to share his coffee with me. Again. She ran to the cupboard and opened it, pulling her bag of chocolate sticks when a black box with a note on fell down on the floor. What was that? She picked it up and read it with a frown of confusion on her face. I knew you were going for the candy. She flipped it around to see the other part of the note. Happy birthday, superbrat. Eomma might have painted stars for you, but apba would take them down from the sky to see you smile. She pressed her lips and rolled her eyes, cringing at the message.

„  Ugh...so cheesy, dad.“ She opened the box to see a delicate silver chain with a star shaped pendant made from black opal stone. Omo! So beautiful! The black stone was shinning on her palm and she smiled, raising her eyebrow in surprise. Jewelry wasn't really something she wore often, she always forgot to put it on but this was...special because it was from her father. He never bought her jewelry before, his gifts were always something else she wanted, like summer school in Japan or a trip to Italy She put the necklace around her neck, smiling at her reflection in the window. She took her phone and dialed his number, going for the door. He picked up the call after the first ring, obviously expecting it.

„ Isn't this my spoiled birthday girl! How did you like my gift?“ She scoffed, smiling as she locked the door behind her.

„ Yah, dad, you would take them down from the sky? Talking about cheesy....“He laughed on the other side, smugness obvious in his voice.

„ I knew you would like that.“

„ It's amazing, dad. I love it.“ She said to him while running down the stairs, ignoring the pain flashing through her ankle.

„ Yeon Hee-ah, are you running?“

„ I am kinda late....“ She heard him chuckle on the other side at her response.

„ You know, I've been expecting you to call me whining about how cheesy and obnoxious I was. But when you didn't..... I assumed you overslept. So there is a taxi waiting for you in front of the building.“ She stopped in the middle of the stairs, widening her eyes in surprise at his words.

„ Really?“

„ Who knows my brat better than me?“ She smiled again, sighing deeply before she whispered back to him.

„ I do love you dad.“

„ I know. I am the most amazing father in the world.“

„ Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....“ He scoffed on the other side, dissatisfied with her response.

„ Brat.....I am getting off work early today and Mrs. Song....well,  you should expect a lot of my little girl is growing up and tears. She called me today saying that she had been crying into the cake icing all night long.“

„ Just like old times.“ Yeon Hee said, smiling gently at his words even though she knew he couldn't see it. At least something is just the way it was supposed to be.

 

********************

„ I still can't believe those two dragged you into this.“ Yeon Hee said apologetically to Hae Sook who was currently dragging her by hand to Ji An's family restaurant after school. Hae Sook shook her head and smiled innocently at her.

„ Nobody dragged me into anything. They just said they wanted to buy you lunch.“

„ Hae Sook, I like you a lot....but you are a horrible liar.“ Yeon Hee scoffed in return while rolling her eyes. Her friends were anything but subtle the whole day, whispering in each other's ear when they thought she couldn't see them, annoying her in the process so much she went to sit down next to Kris during lunch. At least he didn't talk much. Not to mention... he barely ever talked to her. Ah all the glances, the whispers, the giggles....they even dragged poor Hae Sook into their web of lies.

„ What do you mean you are on to us, Yeon Hee....? There is nothing going on.“ Ji An's nonchalant tone was obviously faked, causing Yeon Hee to roll her eyes and purse her lips as she followed them into the classroom, silently thanking the Heavens that only those two and Min Woo knew it was her birthday. She barely managed the energy to handle them, God knows what would have happened if Tao or God forbid Chen knew about it.

„ Sunbaenim, I am not lying! I told you exactly what they said to me.“ Hae Sook frowned at Yeon Hee, opening the door to the reasturant as Yeon Hee followed her inside, barely covering up a small smile on her face caused by Hae Sook's less than subtle ways. Hae Sook suddenly turned to her and nodded like she had made an important decision.

„ Sunbaenim, please close your eyes.“ She raised her eyebrow at Hae Sook who was beginning to blush under her stern look.

„ Why would I do that?“

„ Sunbaenim.....please? Please, please, please.....“ Oh, God. Fine. But there better be a couple of strippers in front of me when I open them. She closed her eyes and sighed.

„ Fine. Can we go now?“ She heard Hae Sook chuckle as she dragged her inside and the familiar smell of Lee's family restaurant filled Yeon Hee's nose, making her stomach churn in hunger. Food, God how I missed you..... Hae Sook suddenly stopped and released her hand, making Yeon Hee frown in return.

„ Can I open my eyes now?“ She heard a familiar giggle which was not....a girl's giggle. What is happening?

„ I am opening my eyes now....“ She said impatiently before she felt Hae Sook's small hand covering her eyes.

„ Wait, sunbaenim!“ Yeon Hee now heard shuffling noises followed by a quiet laughter and she frowned again, pressing her lips in suspicion. That is not Ji An's laugh. Min Woo? They brought him too?

„ OK. You can look now.“ She felt Hae Sook's hand leave her eyes and she sighed, finally opening her eyes. She barely noticed the poster that said happy birthday when someone attacked her, almost dragging her down on the floor.

„ Happy birthday, noona!“ She heard Tao's voice when he gripped her tightly, almost choking the life out of her, making her see nothing except his shirt in front of her eyes. Suddenly she felt another pair of hands pulling her from the back and she heard Chen's whiny voice in her ear.

„ Yah, Panda, quit hogging her!“ Yeon Hee found herself in a sandwich between a Panda and a troll, hearing them argue about her as they both squeezed the life out of her.

„ Happy birthday, ex fiancee!“ She heard Chen chuckle as he lifted her from the ground. She finally got enough breath in her to speak to them, her voice lowering into a hiss.

„ Unless you don't want this to be my last birthday ever....loosen the grip on me.“ She heard laughter around them when she finally managed to get back on her feet, making Chen and Tao pout in disappointment when they had to release her. She breathed deep and raised her head, ready to scold them for breaking her ribs when she noticed the crowd. Oh. So it is a surprise after all. She stood there, slightly open in shock when she saw the people in front of her. Yeah sure, Soo Ae and Ji An were there laughing at her facial expression but so were Yixing and Hae Sook, who were smiling politely at her, Min Woo who waved at her nonchalantly and the rest of the dweebs were there too....Kris who had a small smile on his face, Luhan who winked playfully at her and even... even him who raised his eyebrow at her. How....?

„ Did you really think we wouldn't know it was your birthday, noona?“ She heard Tao in her ear when he hugged her slightly from behind, earning himself a slap from Chen.

„ You are not the only one here, Panda.“ Tao stuck his tongue out at Chen before smugly responding to the troll.

„ But noona loves me the most.“ Yeon Hee shook her head to clear her mind before pointing at her best friends.

„ You told them?!“ Soo Ae shrugged her shoulders and crossed her arms when she responded.

„ We didn't need to.“ Yeon Hee saw them all giggle at her surprise but she couldn't even say a word, her mind barely recovering from the shock.

„ We've been aware for quite some time now. How else would we get you presents if we didn't know?“ Luhan said, while everybody mumbled in response, agreeing with him. Presents? She saw Soo Ae approaching her, slapping Tao's hand which was gripping Yeon Hee's shoulders before dragging her to sit at the head of the table, whispering in her ear as Yeon Hee sat down.

„ After everything you did for all of us....why would you think we wouldn't do everything for you?“ But....this is different. All of you are here, even jackass. As a matter of fact....if these are the people that like her, why is he there?

„ You?“ She asked him with a raised eyebrow as he smirked, shrugging his shoulders.

„ I just came for the food.“ Surprise, surprise...

„ Fair enough.“ 

„ Sunbaenim, I don't think you understand how much you mean to us. We would never forget what you've done for all of us.“ Hae Sook said, smiling happily at her.

„ Even if you are a demon....“ Chen started, winking at her.

„ You are our demon.“ She heard Ji An whisper in her ear when she hugged her from behind.

„ Here is the birthday girl! I brought out your favourite food, Yeon Hee!“ She heard Mister Lee's voice behind her and she managed to see him carrying food with his wife and son.

„ Mister Lee, you didn't have to....“ She managed to mumble through the tight grip Ji An had on her, making Mister Lee shake his head at her.

„ Nonsense. You are like our own daughter.“ He put the food in front of them before smiling at her.

„ We should all work to make you just as happy as you make people around you, Yeon Hee." Yeon Hee knew her jaw dropped at the sight in front of her and she felt warmth in her body and a tingling sensation in her eyes, like she was about to cry. I am...touched.  For s sake...How did I get myself into this kind of a sappy situation? She stared at the people in front of them and she finally realized that the circle of people she cared about had widened beyond her wildest imagination. With an exception or two...of course.

„ You have to open our presents now!“ Tao said excitedly, after half an hour of eating and after Chen sang happy birthday with his now slightly hoarse voice because he had a cold and his nose was all red, courtesy of the water gun attack.

„ Mine first!“ Chen who sat across from her exclaimed, pulling a package beneath the table and pushing it into Yeon Hee's hands. Oh God...what is it? She took it from him, fearing what might be inside.

„ Uhm....do I have to?“ Chen rolled his eyes at her hesitant tone of voice.

„ Yes.“ Yeon Hee pressed her lips and sighed, opening the box where she found a bright yellow shirt which made her cringe for a moment.

„ Who told him?“ She asked, narrowing her eyes at them.

„ Ji An.“ Chen and Soo Ae answered at the same time, making the pixie blush in embarrassment.  For the love of God, her yellow loving secret was out.

„ Come on...take it out!“  Chen yelled at her making her roll her eyes, pulling the shirt out to see the writing on it. The world's second biggest troll.

„ Second?!“ She looked at him, furrowing her eyebrows in anger when he laughed and opened his jacket which had been covering that exact same shirt with the words The world's biggest troll on it.

„ Well, yeah.“ As if!

„ In what world am I less of a troll than you?!“

„ Listen to the shirt. The shirt knows.“ She reached her hand to him, snapping her fingers at him impatiently.

„ Come on. Give me the shirt.“

„ Yah, this one is mine!“ She stood up and flicked his forehead, making him whine at her.

„ Fine! Fine. Ugh, so violent!“ He frowned at her, starting to take off the shirt.

„ Girls, take a picture of this moment, it will last longer.“ He winked  seductively at Soo Ae and Yeon Hee who cringed in return.

„ I am so glad we broke off the engagement for you Soo Ae.“ Yeon Hee whispered while Soo Ae shook her head in return.

„ You can take him back.“

„ Girls, girls! There is enough of me to go around. You don't have to fight over me.“ Chen said, giving the shirt to Yeon Hee who gave him the other one, pulling the world's biggest troll one over her white shirt.

„ Oh...I am so, so glad.“ She mumbled in in response to Chen's egomaniacal words as she fixed the shirt on her body. She then proceeded to smile and beckoned Chen to lean over the table.

„ Come here, troll.“ He backed away a little, suspicion obvious in his eyes as he pulled his shirt back on.

„ So you can hurt me again?“

„ Just come here!“ He leaned in closer when she surprised him by hugging him tightly over the table.

„ Thank you.“ She felt him smile next to her ear before he kissed her cheek.

„ Anything for my ex fiancee.“ Suddenly she heard Tao scoff in jealousy next to her, pulling on her hand before pressing his lips in distaste at Chen's smug smile.

„ It's my turn now.“ She rolled her eyes at his childish antics before sitting back down on her chair only to see Tao run out of the room. Where are you going, Panda?

„ Why...why is he leaving?!“  She asked, feeling the fear starting to appear in her chest at whatever Panda was going to pull on her nex. Suddenly Tao rushed back in with a giant plush panda in his arms, the panda being half of Yeon Hee's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter