Chapter 43- How the mighty have fallen

Pride and Prejudice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Buckle up kids.

You are in for one hell of a ride.

********************************************************

 

Minseok's POV

 

" What the hell is all of this stuff?“ Minseok grumbled under his breath while looking at the shelf with flowers in the store. He has been standing there for at least 10 minutes, trying to decide whether buying flowers was his thing. That's what guys usually do, right? Buy flowers for their girlfriends or girls they hoped would become their girlfriends? But at this very moment, he was drowning in the midst of those wretched things and God he was completely lost. Horticulture was clearly not his thing. He frowned trying to decipher which name belonged to which flower when a young woman in her early twenties, wearing an employee uniform and a name tag approached him.

„ Can I help you somehow?“ He barely looked at her, making her freeze at the spot, blush starting to appear on her cheeks. On any other occasion Minseok would find that entertaining but at this moment...he was a bit more preocuppied.

„ I am just....looking.“ The woman shook her head and coughed a little, trying to clear her mind before speaking again.

„ Any special occasion?“ Yeah, his funeral. Because that's exactly what's going to happen when he tells Yeon Hee that he loves her. He smirked a little, not noticing the woman's eyes widening in return. She hesitantly smiled before pointing at the flowers.

„ Well, girls usually like flowers so you can't miss with this.“ Minseok furrowed his eyebrows and bit his lip thinking about her words.Yeah, girls like flowers but this was Yeon Hee they were talking about. Which means all the things he thought he knew about girls just flew out of the window.The confirmation of his doubts came in the form of a memory, a conversation he listened in when he wasn't supposed to, the memory which made him laugh when he remembered how it went.

„ Ugh, that has to be the most cliche thing I could ever think of.“Yeon Hee  rolled her eyes, talking to Ji An  in the hallway while they were walking to class with Minseok and Chen following behind them. Minseok had been listening in for a while, trying to find leverage to get her to go to the dance with him, ignoring Chen who was talking to him. Ji An pressed her head like she was about to get a headache before pointing at herself.

„ I would be happy if someone gave me flowers for Valentine's day. Or any day for that matter. It's a beautiful gesture! It says that the man thinks of you and....“

„ He thinks of me so he buys me dying flowers? Like, let's remind you of death while you watch these poor plants wither away slowly in front of you. But, hey they were pretty the first day.“ She snickered at Ji An who sighed and moved her bangs from her face, crossing her arms in frustration.

„ You really have no romantic bone in your body.“ Yeon Hee shrugged her shoulders in a nonchalant manner before responding.

„ If you want to make the other person happy, buy something that makes that person happy. Don't settle for cliches. Isn't that romantic enough for you, pixie?“ She finished with a mocking tone when Ji An just stopped walking and turned to her with a raised eyebrow.

„ What if flowers are what make me happy?“ Yeon Hee turned to her with a sweet smile on her lips.

„ Then you are a psycopath who likes to watch things die and  someone as innocent and pure as me can't hang out with such a person.“ She brushed her hair from her face and winked at her, continuing to walk when Ji An yelled behind her.

„ Yah, Yeon Hee-ah!“ He was laughing so hard at the memory while the woman watched him in wonder, probably thinking he had gone mad. God, she was incredible.

 „ You haven't met this one.“ He muttered with a smile that was the improved version of his playful heartbreaking smile and the woman's jaw dropped at the sight. She proceeded to grip her chest, overwhelmed by the warmth of his smile but he was too entranced thinking about Yeon Hee to notice. Something the other person likes? He laughed, backing away from the shelf while thinking how dumb he was, even taking into consideration for a moment she would like something so ordinary as flowers. She would probably smack him over the head with them.

„ Thank you.“ He said to the woman, nodding in her direction. 20 minutes later he was sitting at the counter of the convenient store with an extensive collection of Yeon Hee's favourite candy in front of him which were supposed to make her less hostile towards him. It worked for Tao and Min Woo, so maybe it could work for him too? Maybe the candy would buy him some time before he drops the bomb. He glanced at the cellphone next to him. taking a deep breath.

7:39 p.m. He nodded to himself and drank his soda while tapping his fingers on the counter. Kim Minseok, you got this. You only have to tell her that you love her. Piece of cake, right?

„ Oh, God this is going to be a disaster.“ He mumbled, putting his forehead on the hard surface. He never, ever said those words to anyone and he never actually thought he would be given a chance. And the first time he says it, he is going to have to pray the girl who hears it doesn't reach over the table and kill him for everything he put her through. He sighed while glancing at the cellphone again. Not even a minute had passed. He didn't know if that made him more nervous or relieved because.....she was furious with him. She was always mad at him but today he almost blew his chance with the arrogant approach he took on when he called her. He didn't ask her to meet him, he practically ordered her, not wanting to be put into a position to admit how important it was for him. He's lucky she didn't hung up on him right then and there. But then he had to let his guard down  and utter the word please, putting his hopes on the line as he waited for her response. And when she agreed....he celebrated in the locker room for 10 minutes straight, laughing in relief.

But relief was now gone and tension was there instead. She was not going to go easy on him. She knew he left on Sunday morning with no other reason other than what happened between them, which meant he acted immature and childish. But the thought of seeing her in the morning, him being in such a mess, his feelings too strong and chaotic, he didn't know if he was going to say or do something stupid. So with the first light he went down the mountain and returned to Seoul. He went to the gym, trying to tire himself out enough for hours not to think about it and when that wasn't enough he did what he always did when he was trying to get his life back under control, something she mocked him about constantly. He cleaned. Everything. After hours and hours he finally slumped on the couch, his eyes staring at the ceiling, his hope of getting rid of the burning sensations in him gone with the wind and the smell of window cleaner. The sensations were even stronger now as he stared up in silence. Then he did what he thought he would never do in a situation like that. He smiled. He felt his heart beat in his chest and smiled widely. He loved. He feared for years that he couldn't love at all, thinking that something was broken in him beyond repair. But now he felt it, felt it deeply. He loved her, God those words sounded so glorious and terrifying in his head so he had to try them out loud.

„ God, I ing love her.“ He yelled out, probably waking his neighbours but he couldn't care less at the moment. He was in love.  He glanced at the clock on his cellphone again. 7:42. He sighed, rustling his hair, trying to think of the approach he was going to take. He thought about that since he pissed off his neigbours with his confessions of love in the middle of the night. He was considering the slow approach, taking his time to get close to her again, making her less mad day by day. Of course that all went to hell when he saw  her talking to those idiots from SM soccer team. She was way too irresistible for her own good. Those morons were lucky he didn't just run up to them and throw them off the bleachers, even though he knew he had no right to be mad about it. But damn it, he wanted to have the right! So the slow approach was not in consideration anymore. 

7:45. He bit his lip, spinning the cap of the bottle on the plastic surface of the counter. How is she going to react to him confessing to her? Well, she will be shocked at first that's for sure. Then she will start to laugh because she will think he was playing her. Is he ever going to be able to convince her that he isn't playing? His past is not really helping him in his mission. He wasn't an angel when it came to girls, not even in the slightest and she could be hesitant because of it. But, damn it all to hell, she was the only one for him now. She was the only one for him ever since she threw her lunch at him. He couldn't pay attention to anyone but her because she was so ing fascinating. Every little thing, every little quirk of hers he found made him fall even more for her, down the rabbit hole and he was never getting out of it. Her love towards childish cartoons, her habit of pulling her sleeves over her knuckles when she was cold or nervous, her obvious distaste for green algaes which would show when she would pout, taking them out of the bowl with such disgust like she witnessed someone steal her candy, her habit of biting the insides of when she thought about something thoroughly, the way the corners of her lips would lift when she would talk about books, or anime or her debate club, or....when she would talk to him, especially in the last couple of weeks. He took a long breath, closing his eyes. That was exactly what he counted on. He spend days rethinking every conversation they shared, e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter