Chapter 61

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

Hannah has been filming for a few hours when her final scene is finally here. Like the day before, she is just wearing a long shirt. Today’s shirt is in black, and the make-up has been falling down beautifully with help by her stylist and her tears. The scene is on a bed, an empty bed without sheets and the whole room is dark and cold. Hannah has been everywhere in the room during the day. She has been standing by what is a window, staring out while filming; she has been lying and sitting on the floor; she has walked around the room and now she is on the bed.

Emelia had stopped by quickly before, and she hadn’t been able to say a single word to either the staff or Hannah. She had just showed up and then left. She couldn’t say that the song is perfect and that it is Hannah who makes it perfect. The whole group thinks that, though Hannah doesn’t know it. It actually hurts Emelia to see her best friend since almost eleven years back cry while singing such a song that she has written herself. She had just given Hannah a hug when they met up on the set, and told she has to leave in a few minutes.

On the side now, Manager Kim is standing with a small filming camera. She is filming the last minutes of the filming, only focusing on Hannah as she is the only member of 5 Pieces there. The final scene is done and it gets quiet for about three seconds before the director says they are all done and Hannah quickly starts to bow and thank everyone for their hard work. She keeps doing it over and over again to the staff while slowly heading to the side. Hannah smiles when coming up to her manager holding the camera.

“The music video filming is now over,” Manager Kim says to Hannah.

“The filming is over!” Hannah cheers and claps her hands before bowing to someone walking by and thanking that person for their hard work. She then turns to her manager who asks how it has been going. “I think it has been very fun to work with everyone on this project, though it was hard to cry today,” Hannah says and smiles. “And I think they will make the video look very beautiful, so I will look forward to see how everyone will react when seeing it.”

“What do you think your members will say when seeing the music video?” Manager Kim asks, still filming.

“Um…” Hannah thinks for a while. “I don’t think they will say much… Maybe give me a hug?”

“Why a hug?”

“Because that’s what we do when we don’t have anything to say,” Hannah laughs awkwardly. “But I hope that people will not misunderstand the lyrics and the meaning of the song. It has a lot of thought in it, so my wish is for people to listen to it. And I hope the video will turn out beautifully.”

With those words, she walks off to get changed and get rid of both the extra long hair and make-up.

In the car, on the way to the agency, Hannah is embarrassedly smiling while looking out the window. Manager Kim, who is giving her a ride, out of nowhere started to talk about how happy she and Manager Lim are that Hannah’s and Jonghyun’s relationship isn’t disturbing their work. Manager Kim is also slightly surprised by how well the two of them are able to keep a low profile – without that walk they were caught taking two weeks ago – and she also asks if this teenage crush doesn’t make them want to see each other all the time. Hannah answers shortly and in a low voice, holding in the smile as much as possible because she has seen Jonghyun many more times than what her manager knows of. Especially when he has secretly come by at the apartment.

“It’s good that you aren’t letting love getting in the focus,” Manager Kim is saying. “You have a rough schedule and no matter what you think at the moment, it is the future you must think of.”

Manager Kim is holding a lecture, but Hannah knows that 5 Pieces comes before anything else. Even if she loves Jonghyun, her friendship with 5 Pieces is more important. The girls know it and he knows it too. But that doesn’t mean anything, because when Hannah comes to the music room she is happily greeting Jonghyun with a kiss.

“Did it go well?” Jonghyun asks and Hannah nods. He takes her hand and whispers in her ear that he has prepared something before he leads her to the piano. He sits her down by the piano and sits down next to her, showing her the sheets in front of them while looking at her face.

“What’s this…?” Hannah looks confused from the sheets to Jonghyun.

“I got some free time and asked my teacher to help me out,” he answers. “I have been practicing briefly just now. But I would want to perform it with you; not live or on stage or anything, just… something for us, here.”

Hannah smiles. Jonghyun had prepared the piano notes and lyrics for the song [Bound To You] from the movie Burlesque, that Hannah had been playing the day before. He looks dreamy when he looks at her. It is slightly irritating for Hannah how he had decided it on his own and prepared everything without even asking her, but she admits that she secretly had wanted to somehow perform the song. Jonghyun’s face expression convinces her and she gives a nod.

“You want to try?” Jonghyun shines up over her nod.

“Sure…” Hannah says and she quickly tells him to not expect a lot from her when Jonghyun looks extremely happy. He gives a strange nod-shake-movement with his head out of happiness and Hannah can’t help but to smile over how happy it made him that she said they can try out the song.

For an hour they are practicing the song. Hannah looks like a fool in love when watching him play on the piano and several times Jonghyun stops to play to kiss her instead. It’s fun to practice, and though they do practice seriously, they still smiles and laughs because it is so fun. One time when they are practicing, Jonghyun suddenly stops to play on the piano while Hannah is singing so she stops too and looks at him and she laughs when seeing that he stopped because he was looking at her.

After a breathtaking kiss, they parts and Hannah meets up with some of her members a floor up, including producer/song-writer Melissa Allen. Melissa warmly greets Hannah when she joins them and though not all members are there, Melissa asks if everyone who should be there have arrived and she is eager to show the reason for their meeting.

“I have no idea of how you girls did it, but when I went to your concert I got so inspired that I have been working like a maniac for one week,” Melissa starts off in her American. “But out of all the inspiration I got, it’s this song that I think would work the best.”

She hands over a paper with lyrics on it and Hannah looks at the one Carolina holds on to. [Daze] is the name of the song and Melissa does a hand movement for the music to start playing. They start working on it right away; Melissa telling how she imagines the song and she even asks the girls to try some parts in how she has imagined it. Melissa gives out a glad shout when hearing it, saying that it is perfect. The recording will be tomorrow.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Hannah had woken up early in the morning to go for her audition. She was so nervous when first going for the audition, and Manager Lim is smiling at her when she comes back after it, to drive her to the recording where her members already have started to work on the new song with Melissa Allen.

Normally after an audition, Hannah has two ways to express herself. First, she is either calm as if the nervousness she had when entering has disappeared. Second, she is like she was the first time, excited, because it went better than expected. Today, surprisingly, she is none of them. She seems to be furious and Manager Lim keeps asking her what it is and tells her to calm down as Hannah keeps talking but he has absolutely no idea of what she is saying as she is bringing out her cell phone from her pocket – she had turned it off for the audition.

“LEE HONGGI!” Hannah shouts the moment she hears him answer after dealing his number. Manager Lim sitting with Hannah in the car gets quiet when hearing her shout the name.

Honggi had expected her to call today. So he was fully prepared to answer with the cell phone a little away from his ear when answering, of course after seeing who it is calling. It didn’t surprise him at all that she would scream or be angry at him, though he wouldn’t understand the reason.

“Did I ask you to say anything? Do you have any idea of how embarrassing it was for me to go in like that?! Ya, Lee Honggi, don’t ignore my words! If I wanted any help I would ask for it, GOT THAT?!”

Manager Lim doesn’t dare to look away from the road while driving, knowing that if Hannah sees him glancing at her she will get furious at him. Madly, Hannah hangs up before Honggi can say anything and she turns off her cell phone before throwing it to the backseat. To not let it be quiet in the car, she turns up the volume for the music and sits with her arms crossed and looking mad. She sits like that for many minutes before lowing the music and staring at her manager.

“Appa,” she says angrily. “Do you have any idea of what that idiot did? He talked to the producer of the drama! The one and only woman who today told me she had heard SO many good things about me. Can you get that?!”

She gives out a frustrated sound and turns up the volume anew to keep pouting out the window.

By the time they come to the studio, Hannah has calmed down and she politely greets Melissa and the recording engineer. Her members are all there already, and Carolina loudly and happily asks how it went. Emelia hits her on the arm, giving her a stare that somehow makes Hannah wonder if Manager Lim- no, Honggi has talked to them. As soon as Hannah gets a chance, she asks Emelia if she talked to Honggi.

“He texted, saying you are probably angry at him because of the audition,” Emelia rolls her eyes. “So we have been warned.”

Hannah glares at her before looking through her bag after her cell phone. Emelia leans closer to her over the armrest between them, telling Hannah that she is overreacting. Hannah just grimaces at her but Emelia takes away her cell phone. “You, are, over, reacting.”

“Fine,” Hannah pouts, takes back her cell phone and puts it in her bag again.

Melissa then keeps them busy. Since the parts of the song had just been guessed out for the members in what probably will sound the best is changed a little so it will sound better. It is their first time recording with Melissa, and she seems to like that the lyrics she made works perfectly in the mix of Korean and English. They take a pause from the recording, but they keep practicing the song and coming with ideas. Just for fun, everyone tries on the rap too.

“I see why Emelia is the rapper,” Melissa jokes with a laugh and pushes Julia on the side. “I’m just joking with you. I was actually thinking of letting someone else take this last part. Emelia is the only one rapping, right? So it will be a fun challenge.”

The girls nods and asks if she has anyone in mind, also saying that Carolina can rap at times too. Melissa, who was about to speak, gets quiet when hearing that. She thinks about it and asks the girls to sing it to the music so they can get the feeling. Emelia raps the last of her part when the music is playing and Julia raps, next is Hannah, then Carolina and lastly Maria. Everyone is thinking after they have done it, wondering who would do it the best. None of the girls have anything against having a rap part since it isn’t much to rap.

“Whoa… how come everything you do, you have to do so well?” Maria chuckles with a smile, shaking her head. She has only been impressed and more impressed during the day, recording for the first time with 5 Pieces. She thinks it is amazing to work with them, though it has only been a day. The girls have no end of their ability, and it surprises her that they still have so much more to show than what she has seen on stage and in their current music. And while 5 Pieces are working really hard to stand up to Melissa’s suggestions, it isn’t a difficult atmosphere.

“As it looks like at the moment, Hannah has the least parts in the song,” Melissa says. Since she can’t figure out who raps that little piece the best among them, she looks at how much singing they have in the whole song. The girls smiles by that, since most producers doesn’t think of who sings the most. Hannah, on the other hand, looks surprised to hear her name.

“Me?” she asks.

“You don’t want to?” Melissa asks.

“She wants to, she is just shy,” Maria is fast to answer and pats Hannah on the back. Hannah keeps looking surprised. They tell her to record it so they can hear how it would sound, and Hannah is nervously walking inside the recording with the lyrics. They have all gone through the lyrics, so it is not a question of how Melissa has thought it to sound. Hannah goes through it by herself before they asks her if she is ready and she nervously gives a nod and stands by the microphone.

*Broken glass can’t be fixed, the cracks will always be seen, never disappear

I don’t want to be here anymore*

It gets quiet the moment Hannah has done the part and she is quiet too in wait for a comment from the others. She can see how Melissa is quietly spacing out, probably in deep thoughts, while her members are looking at each other. Melissa presses the button so Hannah can hear her talk; “Do it one more time. Give feelings in the last part.”

Hannah nods.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 18th: Magazine Releases Photos For 5 Pieces’ “It Matters” Charity Project

Headline 18th: JYJ’s Yoochun Thanks 5 Pieces On Twitter For The Signed [Switch] CD

Headline 18th: SM Entertainment Releases Life of Pieces DVD For Season 1-3