Chapter 15

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

After being in the studio at the morning, 5 Pieces did the pre-recordings of Inkigayo and Music Bank and they have now come to Yoo Heeyeol’s Sketchbook that they have been preparing for. They are now backstage, waiting to be introduced.

“The next performers are pretty outstanding,” Yoo Heeyeol starts the introduction. “They came to Korea with the only knowledge of their love to Korean music… You already know who they are, don’t you? Now they are becoming world known artists, loved in Korea and around the world, here is 5 Pieces.”

He could hear the audience cheer during his introduction, so he just had to ask if they know who he is talking about. He walks to the side after the introduction and [One and Only] starts to play.

*Baby, baby my boy* Emelia starts off the song like always.

Hannah is smiling like her members while performing. They are having fun like always. During the chorus, when they are all singing *tell me how much you like, like, like, like me* and *tell me when you fell, fell, fell for me* they can hear some of the fans sing along and that makes Hannah smile even more.

She admits she is acting cute at some parts. But she isn’t the only one. Carolina loves to act cute and she doesn’t hide it. Julia sings her part and then it is Hannah’s turn. Since the audience seems to like the performance, she is all in on being cute.

*But when I see you, you, they all fade away

You are sparkling, being my Bling, Bling*

She does hand gestures during ‘sparkling’ and there is one guy who is heard more than others when she does ‘bling, bling’. Later when her part comes again, she sings;

*But when you see me, they all fade away

I am sparkling, being your Baby, Baby*

And again there is this one guy who is heard louder, almost screaming ‘baby, baby’.

Their performance is great, and the audience seems to love it even if it is in English. When the performance ends, chairs are placed on the stage and Yoo Heeyeol comes up. He is clapping when he comes up to 5 Pieces and the girls greet him politely before they are asked to take a sit.

They are sitting in their normal order next to each other, so Hannah – on their very left side – is sitting next to Yoo Heeyeol with Julia on her other side.

“Thank you so much for coming here today,” he tells the girls.

“Thank you for having us,” the girls say politely in chorus.

“When I talked to you backstage before, I heard you saying that you love to come here because the audience seems very calm compared to when you normally performs,” Yoo Heeyeol says and the girls nods. “But then there was this guy over there-” he points at a place in the audience and the girls looks – “he was far from calm!”

They laugh, since everyone heard him well during their performance. The guy is blushing wildly.

“But it is a very likable audience,” Carolina says and the audience cheers, making them laugh a little again.

“5 Pieces is loved wherever they go,” Yoo Heeyeol says, “Do you have a particular age group of your fans? There are a lot of teenagers that listen to your music?”

“There are a lot of teenagers,” Emelia answers. “Teenagers and people in their twenties seem to like our music. But we would want people of all ages to enjoy our music, especially older people.”

“When we came out with [I Love You] we got more male fans too,” Maria adds.

“I love you!” someone in the audience shouts and it gets an awkward atmosphere since everyone looks at the audience before laughing.

“I think you have gotten more girly,” Yoo Heeyeol keeps on.

“We haven’t changed…” Carolina says and glances at the members. “I think that before we had a charismatic image because of our songs like [Original], so automatically we were seen as more serious, while with our latest songs we have more of the cute concept.”

“We were giggling a lot before too,” Maria says as she understands what Yoo Heeyeol means. She does an overdoing giggle for the audience just because she says that, and the others smiles at it. Typical Maria.

“Your new song,” Yoo Heeyeol says with a chuckle over Maria’s giggle. “[One and Only] is in English. There have been a lot of thoughts of it whether 5 Pieces is heading out of Korea to become world known artists, if you understand what I mean.” The girls nod. “Is 5 Pieces going international?”

“There have been a lot of questions and our fans here in Korea have asked us many times if we are leaving Korea,” Maria is answering. “We ARE going international, as more and more around the world are starting to take interest in us, our music and also in Korea. But since Korea is the country that originally created 5 Pieces, we have no intentions of leaving.”

“So in the future, you are saying that Korea will always have your main attention?” Yoo Heeyeol wonders.

“Yes,” Maria answers and the others agree. “So for all our Korean fans, there is no need to be worried. At the moment we will have a lot of activities, but we won’t leave Korea.”

Yoo Heeyeol nods and looks at his papers. “5 Pieces recently celebrated their three year anniversary since debut,” he says and the audience cheers and 5 Pieces smiles. “Before you debuted, you had Korean idols, right?”

“Yes,” the girls nod.

“Have that changed anything now? There are a lot of new groups, have your idols somehow changed or do you still have the same idols?” Yoo Heeyeol asks. “This is actually a question a fan sent in for us.”

“The idols we had when we came to Korea are still our idols,” Emelia answers and the audience gives out a sound that they don’t believe her. Emelia almost glares at them in her way. “Do you know who our idols are?”

“Who are your idols then?” Yoo Heeyeol wonders.

“My forever idols are Shinhwa,” Maria reveals and she is nodding proudly when the audience is cheering. “I still haven’t met anyone of them, but we are all looking forward to their comeback next year.”

The audience cheers even more and Maria cheers with them.

“There are then groups that are in SM Entertainment with us,” Hannah reveals a little carefully. “When we made our comeback with [I love You] and this group was performing, all of us were glued on their performance like this.” Hannah focuses her eyes out in nowhere, slightly opened and hands by her chest, causing a lot of laughters and Carolina even leans forward to see what she does.

“They were active when you were active…?” Yoo Heeyeol tries to figure out who it is.

“*Superman*” Maria sings and does the superman move with her arms like they do in Super Junior’s [Superman]. The audience cheers while the girls’ smiles, and Yoo Heeyeol looks a little surprised.

“It’s impossible to not like them,” Maria explains and the audience cheers once again. “Even today, when we know them, we are learning a lot from Super Junior and they were one of the groups that we were fans of before coming to Korea.”

“It’s not like we are screaming whenever we sees them,” Hannah tries to explain too. “We respect them as singers and entertainers, though we at the beginning were really awkward and shy. They are very charismatic on stage”

“You are friends with your idols?” Yoo Heeyeol asks, as he knows they are friends.

The girls’ smiles and Maria gives a smirk. “We are awesome, aren’t we?” she asks and causes a lot of laughter, even from her members.

“5 Pieces have prepared a special performance for us today,” Yoo Heeyeol says as the interview comes to an end. “What kind of performance have you prepared?”

“We have prepared two performances,” Carolina answers. “Hannah and Maria will sing a song and Emelia, Julia and I will show a dance.”

“Thank you for coming here today,” Yoo Heeyeol finishes and the girls stands up and in chorus thanks again.

[I Hate This Part] – Hannah and Maria (Pussycat Dolls Cover)

(song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S97MaG3kOMY&ob=av3n)

[Hannah] We’re driving slow through the snow on 5th Avenue

And right now radio’s all that we can hear

Now we ain’t talked since we left, it’s so overdue

It’s cold outside but between us it’s worse in here

 

[Maria] The world slows down

But my heart beats fast right now

I know this is the part

Where the end starts

 

[Both] I can’t take it any longer

Thought that we were stronger

All we do is linger

Slipping through my fingers

I don’t wanna try now

All that’s left’s goodbye to

Find a way that I can tell you

 

[Maria] I hate this part right here

[Hannah] I hate this part right here

[Maria] I just can’t take your tears

[Hannah] I hate this part right here

 

[Maria] Everyday, seven takes of the same old scene

Seems we’re bound by the laws of the same routine

Gotta talk to you ‘fore we go to sleep

But will we sleep once I tell you what’s hurting me?

 

[Hannah] The world slows down

But my heart beats fast right now

I know this is the part

Where the end starts

 

[Both] I can’t take it any longer

Thought that we were stronger

All we do is linger

Slipping through my fingers

I don’t wanna try now

All that’s left’s goodbye to

Find a way that I can tell you

 

[Hannah] I hate this part right here

[Maria] I hate this part right here

[Hannah] I just can’t take your tears

[Maria] I hate this part right here

 

[Hannah] I know you’ll ask me to hold on

And carry on like nothing’s wrong

[Maria] But there is no more time for lies

‘Cause I see sunset in your eyes

 

[Both (Maria does a lot of adlibs)] I can’t take it any longer

Thought that we were stronger

All we do is linger

Slipping through my fingers

[(Hannah does adlibs)] I don’t wanna try now

All that’s left’s goodbye to

Find a way that I can tell you

 

[Hannah] That I gotta do it

I gotta do it

I gotta do it

I hate this part

 

[Mara] I gotta do it

I gotta do it

I gotta do it, oh

 

[Hannah] I hate this part right here

[Maria] I hate this part right here

[Hannah] I just can’t take these tears

[Maria] I hate this part right here

After that their performance has ended, the other three members’ walks up on the stage. Rihanna’s [Breakin’ Dishes] starts to play and a cool, charismatic and confident dance performance starts. Emelia is the centre, being the tough dancer she is in the group. Carolina is mimicking the song at times and even if it is short, is makes a good impression.