Chapter 06

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

“I am totally excited about today’s guests, aren’t you?” Ellen DeGeneres asks her audience who screams for answer and she smiles widely. “I have gotten a fever; I can’t get enough of them!”

Everyone in the audience loves to hear her say that. Ellen takes a few steps to the side.

“Today’s special guests are huge in Asia, and their popularity has reached USA and Europe; once you hear them, you can’t get enough! I wanted them so badly on the show, but before they will come out here, let us look at a clip of my visit to New York where I for the first time ever – EVER – went on a concert of Asian artists. Let’s look at it.”

5 Pieces who are backstage are curious of the clip and they look at the screen that shows the clip to the live audience.

~~_~~_~~_~~_~~_

Ellen is walking outside Madison Square Garden in New York where fans are gathered and waiting to get inside for the concert. Ellen walks up to a fan holding a sign for 5 Pieces, asking who her favourite member in 5 Pieces is.

“MARIA!” “EM!” “HANNAH!” Several fans screams and in the background you can hear a lot more answering too a little after. Everyone is excited.

“Do you like them?” Ellen asks.

“YES!”

“Do you love them?”

“YES!”

“Would you marry them?”`

“YES!!”

Ellen laughs since those that answer are mostly girls, but their answer is crazily loud and confident. She then asks if they will watch her show because 5 Pieces will be there.

“YES!”

“What do you like about 5 Pieces?” Ellen can’t stop smiling and she smiles bigger when the fan is stamping with her feet and nervously shaking her hands when answering.

“They are cute and they are y and they are charismatic, have a great stage presence,” the fan answers in a panicking voice, not believing it is real that she will see them live.

“Their songs are the best,” another one answers.

“Who is your favourite?” Ellen asks again for fun and she laughs over the loud and crazy answers from those around that it is impossible to hear what they say. “I am meeting 5 Pieces now! They are backstage practicing now from what I heard. Should I scream when I meet them? Act like this?”

Ellen screams and has fun like the fans and in a louder voice she says she is going. She goes backstage for the concert, showing her backstage card to everyone she walks by, giving weird comments at times too that is apparently very fun to the Americans.  When she sees Super Junior’s Siwon – without knowing who he is – she comments that he is handsome, of course saying it in her own unique way.

“I am looking for five outstanding girls,” Ellen says to a staff. “They are singers, but not Asian.”

Ellen turns back to the camera. “It can’t be hard for them to know who I mean, right?” she says, meaning that SM Town is of Korean artists, while 5 Pieces aren’t Koreans. She is showered where 5 Pieces is, and is told that 5 Pieces are doing their final rehearsal at the moment and she is showed the way to the stage so they can watch a little of it.

Ellen gets to stand further away from the stage where she can have a clear view of the stage but not grab any attention. 5 Pieces is doing a rehearsal of the song [Hey! Hey! Hey!] and all of them look very cute on the stage. The great beginning of the song is quickly stopped and it is Emelia who talks to the staff. She talks in English in the microphone, so everyone can hear her say something about her in-ear.

The rehearsal ends and Ellen heads backstage. Since 5 Pieces are back in their room, Ellen goes there to meet them. The room is opened and she can hear their voices in there before looking inside.

“Hello, we are pieces of one – 5 Pieces!” the girls say in chorus when standing together. Ellen, standing next to them, tries to say the same thing but misses the timing.

~~_~~_~~_~~_~~_

“Here is 5 Pieces!” Ellen says when they return to the studio. The cameras all focus on the five girls on the stage next to where Ellen is standing and everyone starts to clap their hands and cheer.

[Original] starts to play, as it is seen as 5 Pieces most successful song since debut. Maria shows her famous expressions when the camera zooms in on her when she begins to sing the song. They perform it in Korea, but still there are fans in the audience that keeps up with them.

The chorus comes, which the audience seems to really like.

*You, you, you (ALWAYS, YOU) You, you, you - *, , (ALWAYS, YOU) , , *

We are who we are, be proud of yourself - *우리 우리가 누구인지, 자신을 자랑스러워해야*

You, you, you – you, you, you - *, , , , *

Don’t try to be someone else, be proud of yourself - *다른 사람이 되려고하지 마십시오, 자신을 자랑스러워해야*

You, you, you (DON’T PUSH, YOU) You, you, you - *, , (DONT PUSH, YOU) , , *

You, you, you* - *, , *

The girls are singing live, and they are just great when singing. Not a single wavering, and they use a lot of power in their voices. You can hear Maria’s voice stand out in the chorus, as she sings louder than the others.

The chorus is sung two times at the end. Maria and Carolina shows their amazing vocals when doing an outstanding adlib together, and the song ends with Emelia saying *No more hiding, step up and show them, ORIGINAL* - * 이상 숨어 있고, 밖으로 나와 그들을 보여, ORIGINAL*

“Wow!” Ellen says when the music stops. She looks at the audience. “Wow!” she claps her hands again when the audience keeps applauding and she then greets 5 Pieces with hugs when the girls comes over to her. “No wonder you are so popular. Please sit, sit.”

When the audience has calmed down, the interview starts. Ellen can’t stop smiling and her first comment is that those in the audience must be big fans of 5 Pieces since they were seen singing along. Exactly everyone in the audience – fans or not – were somehow following along before the song ended because it is catchy.

5 Pieces gets to introduce themselves and they also gets to introduce the song they just sang.

“Before you performed, we saw a clip of when I visited you in New York. As far as I know, it was your first time in New York, and you were there for a concert,” Ellen is saying.

“We were in New York with out colleagues in the same agency, named SM Town. And we just had the best time ever because – as you said, it was our first time in New York – and there were a lot of people who came to cheer us on,” Emelia is answering in English.

“There are so many kpop fans in America, so all of us where just really surprised,” Carolina adds – all SM Town were surprised is what she means.

“But here is a question that you must’ve gotten a lot of times before; why did you want to debut in Korea?”

“I don’t think we ever told each other ‘hey, let’s debut in Korea’,” Maria starts to answer. “It was just that we sent in our video for an audition, just to show that we are interested in kpop, but we never thought we would get accepted.”

“So you had no plans of debuting in Korea at all?” Ellen looks surprised.

“We knew we wanted to go to Korea, but I don’t think we thought of debuting at all. If it wasn’t for that audition, we would probably be in Sweden now and working with something else and kpop would just be our fandom,” Carolina answers.

“We all had some kind of interest to music. I mean, it’s not like we only listen to kpop, not even now. It’s just that kpop made us interested in making music too,” Emelia adds with Hannah nodding.

Ellen can’t help but to look surprised. “None of you wanted to be singers until three years ago?”

The girls can’t help to laugh, all suddenly saying ‘no, no’ or ‘it’s not like that’ to not have a big misunderstanding.

“SM Entertainment helped us reach a dream that we thought was too far to reach, so before the auditions we never thought we could actually be singers. During the auditions none of us where that good at singing, but we have learnt a lot and we have the confidence now. We love the stage and to perform, and our fans are so supportive that we want to just do better and better.”

“That’s what made you catch my interest,” Ellen smiles, “you have achieved so much in three years that when I saw your performance I thought you have trained for ten years!”

She then keeps on; “When I talk to you now and when I met you the other day, you are all shining like artists, but you all seem to be down to earth. Have the idol-status changed you a bit these years?”

“I think we haven’t really changed that much in our personalities,” Maria says slowly and looks at her members. “We are still geeks…”

“Geeks?” Ellen asks and the audience laughs while the girls’ just smiles.

“Yes, seriously, we are geeky teenagers who love to watch movies and giggle whenever Jacob Black takes his shirt off in Twilight,” Maria says in a funny way and everyone laughs and some fans even screams. Ellen laughs too, imagine the girls watching twilight and screaming.

“We are very down to earth,” Julia nods her head. Her comments make them laugh again.

“Then you all still have your teen crushes?” Ellen is curious.

“Loads!” Maria answers loudly. “If people saw us watching a movie, they would never be able to see us as artists again. We love to overreact and whenever there is a cute or hot actor on TV we starts to giggle right away.”

“Justin Bieber is here today…” Ellen mentions quietly, glancing at the audience to see the reaction. She looks back at 5 Pieces, seeing how Maria is smiling wide. “What do you think of him?”

“He’s cute,” Maria answers quietly like a shy fan-girl, but then becomes her usual self when saying; “we enjoy listen to his music. To be so young he is really great.”

“So you just think he is a good artist?” Ellen looks sceptical.

“Well…” Maria is again the one who answers, smiling. “He has a girlfriend already.”

“Ah, so he’s not on the list of hot celebrities you can consider dating because he has a girlfriend?” Ellen asks and they laugh at the joke.

They keep on, talking about music and Korea. 5 Pieces teaches them some simple Korean words that is necessary to know when you got to Korea – like greetings – and they also reveals how they first started to know the language.

“First, we learnt through the music,” Hannah gets to answer. “There are words you often repeat in songs, like love is a word you easily learn. In our song that we performed earlier, we sing a lot *you* and *I*, which I think gets stuck in your mind when hearing it.”

“Ah, yes, I still want to get up and do your moves, going *you, you, you*,” Ellen says and moves her head a little when singing, all of them laughing.

“Kpop is really popular, which you must’ve noticed when you were in New York. Even if you aren’t from Korea, 5 Pieces is still representing kpop, right? Why do you think kpop is so popular, like why did you five like it in the beginning?” Ellen asks.

“I think that… there are several of reasons to why people likes kpop,” Maria answers. “When we were younger, we listened a lot to Backstreet Boys and boy-bands like that, and I think that kpop reminds us of that, but … kpop is growing and changing every year since it begun.”

“The fact that we had no idea of what they were singing in the beginning made me like it,” Emelia reveals, causing laughers.

“Like you have told us,” Carolina says to Ellen, “our music is easy to sing along to even if it is in a language you don’t know, and that we dance together makes you just want to move.”

“There are a lot of people who are questioning us, since we aren’t related to Asia at all but we still are seen as representatives for kpop,” Maria starts to answer Ellen’s first question. “We were also confused at first, but now we think that we represent foreigners who loves kpop, that there is no line drawn to where you can go and who you can be. We want to represent a lot of things, so we are working hard to achieve it.”

“I talked to you girls before,” Ellen says and glances at her papers, “and you told me that music brings the world together. I really loved those words, because you went to Korea, against all odds, and you have showed the world just that – music brings the world together. You inspire me so much, and thank you for coming here today.”

“Thank you for having us,” 5 Pieces says in chorus.

Ellen’s voice changes a little when she turns to the camera to end it.

“5 Pieces’ single [One and Only] is released worldwide on October 31st and you can see their music video on my website. On my website you can also find out more about 5 Pieces.”

5 Pieces performs [One and Only] for the ending of the show before they have to go to the airport, as their busy schedule in Korea is about to start.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 24th: 5 Pieces Reveals Backstage Picture From Ellen DeGeneres Show

Headline 24th: 5 Pieces Poses With Justin Bieber!

Headline 24th: Ellen DeGeneres Writes On Twitter That 5 Pieces Can Be World Wide

Headline 24th: Best of 5! Pieces Airs Girl Group Special Episode Part 1

 

Headline 25th: 5 Pieces Releases [One and Only] Repacked Album in Korea