Chapter 24

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

“Did you girls tell your families about you going to Sweden?” Manager Kim asks when they are sitting in the van on the way to the airport. Hannah is the only one who grimaces by the question.

“I did! My sisters will come to Stockholm for the fan meeting,” Maria answers in a happy bright tone.

“I told my mom to come to our concert in January,” Carolina looks proud too.

“My mom has work, so she can’t come,” Julia says, not really bothered by it. Emelia says that her parents are working too.

Hannah had mailed her sister to ask if they wanted to come on either the fan signing in Sweden’s capital next month or if they wanted to come to the concert in Seoul – both could work. But when her sister had answered, she had talked to their mother about it. Their mother had said they had no time to joke around with Hannah, since they have either school or work. In other words: they wouldn’t come.

She hasn’t talked to her sister since the girls made their comeback in August, and no one in her family seems like they want to keep the contact either. Hannah sees no reason to go back home now when there is no school, so she doesn’t care.

When they arrive at the airport, Hannah sits down next to Carolina while waiting to get on the plane. Carolina is checking online on the group’s fan page – like she always is doing.

“There is one topic that has been hot for the past few months,” Carolina starts to say the moment Hannah sits down next to her. She shows the thread for Hannah. “Your body.”

Hannah sees the thread having more than 1200 pages since it was created, filled with comments and photos of nothing else but Hannah’s body. One of the comments says that though Hannah is the shortest member in 5 Pieces, her body makes up to it all and she has become one of the hottest in kpop.

“They’re weird,” is the only thing Hannah says before she looks away.

“Truth is, I agree with most of them,” Carolina says in a low voice, looking through the comments and photos – about Hannah’s body. She gets just a little irritated about that. “This picture is just… goddess like, just what they say.”

Hannah glances at the picture and then looks questioning at Carolina.

“Oh come on! You must see it,” Carolina says and rolls down to another picture of Hannah. “This is definitely impossible to not see. You have the curves, magnae.”

The pictures are from performances and screen shots from programs. The picture Carolina now is showing is from 5 Pieces second album, a solo photo of just Hannah for the album. Wearing the pyjamas outfit she looks very cute, but the fans commenting seems to take it as a huge mix of cute and y, giving comments like ‘that picture made my year’ and the funny ‘5P had a poster by the road in Korea for their comeback, accidents in the area increased by 44% because the drivers couldn’t take their eyes off the goddess on the poster – true story!’

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

5 Pieces arrives in Japan and heads straight to the music video filming of their Japanese version of [I Love You]. They greet the staff in the Japanese they have repeated on the way there before they go to get ready for the filming with make-up, hair and outfits.

Hannah laughs when they are back at the set. She is wearing a cosy pocket accent sweater in pale pink. It’s really cute and winter-like, and since it isn’t as long as a dress she has a white long top under with the layers of lace sticking out under the sweater. It’s really cute and simple, just like the concept. Her hair is wavy and for accessory she only has one long necklace with a simple ornament and on her feet she has these thick socks they also had in the Korean concept.

Hannah and Julia bows at the staff when they walks closer to where they will film, being the first two ready. Their outfit is the same, just small details are different.

Hannah is the first one to greet the Japanese making of cameras. She has longed to speak in Japanese and since they now are in Japan, she does it more than necessary. Now, well, since it is for the Japanese fans it is good that she speaks in Japanese.

“Hello,” Hannah says happily in Japanese and she smiles widely when looking at the camera-man filming her, but she is a little nervous. “My name is Hannah, and this is 5 Pieces first… music video filming in Japan. Yay!”

She is very energetic and doesn’t seem to have too much problem with the language and she ends up clapping her hands on her own after saying ‘yay’.

“I am wearing… a cute outfit, for the shooting. What do you think?” she asks in one of the popular and easy phrases she has learnt. “In the Korean version we are in a bedroom in the music video, wearing pyjamas. In the Japanese version we will somewhat have the same concept.”

She is asked by the camera-man how she feels about releasing a single in Japan.

“I am excited, really… I’m very excited about it,” Hannah corrects herself and then laughs at the camera-man and tells him to not laugh at her. “I think all of us are excited to spend some time with the Japanese fans, and I think… it will be fun. We have worked hard with the single because the Japanese version is a little different from the Korean. It will probably turn out pretty.”

She smiles when he mentions her being active in Japan before, but not as a singer. “I acted in a drama… two? Two years ago. I learned a lot of Japanese at that time but I have forgotten all of it now, ha-ha. Ah, and at that time there were a lot of people asking me when 5 Pieces would debut in Japan.”

She is about to leave to start her shooting when she stops to look at the camera one last time. “I’m happy.”

The other girls don’t speak much Japanese in front of the cameras. Emelia shows off some sentences, knowing more Japanese than the other three. Maria and Julia clumsily say some simple words like ‘cute’ and ‘well done’.

For the whole day they are filming the scenes for the music video, being cute and the making of cameras for different channels catches the girls laughing a lot while filming.

Maria is talking in Korean to the cameras when Hannah comes up from behind. They have already been filming for several hours.

“Hannah is really good at Japanese,” Maria admits, “the rest of us are learning.”

“Our leader isn’t very good at Japanese, but her voice makes up for it,” Hannah says in Japanese when getting up next to Maria who just nods.

“See… it sounds amazing, but I have no idea of what she is saying,” Maria says in Korean.

“Study more,” Hannah says in Japanese, taps Maria on the shoulder before walking off. Maria looks after her before she looks back at the camera.

“She is confident,” Maria does funny grimaces and then says in Japanese; “I’m hungry.”

The whole night they stay up filming the music video. Hannah often helps her members when the Japanese translator isn’t around, but even Hannah needs translation at times. They do many interviews also for the music video, explaining the concept and asking people to give it a lot of love. Hannah gets to talk a lot when they are talking in Japanese, but they also ends up talking in Korean a lot.

“5 Pieces is finally debuting in Japan!” Hannah says in Japanese and all members clap their hands, starting another interview. “The main song is originally from our second Korean album. The song [I Love You] has been translated to Japanese, and we hope it will show our loving and cute side to the people in Japan.”

“It will be a cute song you can listen to during this winter,” Emelia says in Japanese as she has practiced.

The music video filming continues. The girls are fooling around since they haven’t gotten much sleep, and during the break they are either resting or going online. Hannah can’t rest so she goes online and she even goes on a site that Carolina had told her to check.

Whenever it is Carolina who wants you to watch a site, it is always about 5 Pieces. Always! Carolina even said on her radio a while ago that she is always looking up 5 Pieces name online.

The site Hannah goes in on now is tumblr. It is a used whose site is really pretty, filled with macros, photos and clips of different idols.

There are some small pictures put together next to each other, and above them is the headline ‘Those Little Adorable Moments’. On the first picture, Hannah sees herself laughing with Carolina, both looking crazy. The text for that picture is ‘when you laugh together’; the next text for the next picture is ‘when you secretly hold hands’ is of Julia and Carolina when they had hold hands on the stage. ‘When your reaction is the same’ is from Star King of Emelia and Julia; ‘when you cry together’ is from last year when they had won with [Original]. The final picture is bigger of the girls standing next to each other, holding hands, smiling, with the text ‘when you realise nothing can get better’.

Hannah smiles when seeing it and she rolls down, seeing a simple one. It is one simple black and white picture of 5 Pieces doing a group hug. On the picture it stands ‘coming to Korea would’ve been meaningless if I came alone - Maria’.

“They are awesome, aren’t they?” Maria chuckles when she comes over to Hannah. She is holding a bottle of water, not looking like someone who would say what is written on what Hannah just read.

“Mm,” Hannah agrees with her and looks back on the site. She rolls down a little, finding some funny too. But then… she finds something that makes her grimace. Maria looks at what it is, seeing a macro of Hannah from a performance with the text ‘watch it guys, this girl is taken’ and then it is a picture of Honggi singing like just he can with his finger pointing, with the text ‘GTFO, she’s mine!’

“Yeah… those are pretty popular,” Maria says, like an expert. “You and Honggi are online just as popular as you and Julia, and you two were ranked as the most popular couple in our group.”

Hannah looks weirdly at her, asking how she can know it. Maria just smirks, saying she knows everything.

“This can be why Jonghyun’s sister wants to meet you,” Emelia pops up her head on Hannah’s other side. She has been sitting there the whole time, with her arms crossed and eyes closed.

Hannah looks worried. A few days ago, Jonghyun’s sister had called her. They haven’t met since last year, so that she calls now all of a sudden worried Hannah. They decided to go watch the musical Fame on Friday together, and Hannah has been worried for the reason.

“Why talk about Honggi when she is Jonghyun’s sister? Stupid,” Maria rolls her eyes. “I’m sure she wants to see if Hannah wants to marry Jonghyun.”

“WHAT?” Hannah and Emelia both burst out in shock.

Maria gives a laugh. “What else? Koreans are very pushy about marriage, especially the families.”

Hannah looks like she is going to panic. Marriage? She isn’t even twenty!

“Ya, he’s an idol, not even Super Junior is married. She probably wants to meet to make sure there is absolutely nothing suspicious with Honggi, to confront you about it. Maybe Jonghyun asked her to,” Emelia says.

“That’s so stupid!”

They then have to prepare for the next shooting, the two older members leaving Hannah worried about Friday. She later texts Jonghyun to ask why his sister would want to meet her. Jonghyun answers late, just writing that it is nothing to worry about since his sister likes Hannah. Hannah just pouts, since that was before she knew they were a couple.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 20th: 5 Pieces’ Final Performance On Inkigayo

Headline 20th: Maria Reveals More Of Her Diva Personality On Running Man

Headline 20th: Haha & Maria Couple On Running Man?

 

Headline 21st: 5 Pieces & f(x) Shows Their Sisterly Friendship On Best Of 5! Pieces