Chapter 39

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

“No,” he tells her and grabs her arm to pull her closer and he points at the picture on the wall of her and him. “This expression on your face is not the face of a friend. You keep denying, but for what reason? You like me more than a -“

Hannah suddenly covers his mouth knowing that even if she says something he won’t get quiet. Her face is really looking troubled and irritated and she keeps her hand over his mouth. Honggi just looks at her, not trying to take her hand away. “Please … don’t say anymore,” Hannah whispers with her eyes closed. “Just … don’t.” Honggi still doesn’t do anything, so Hannah takes away her hand without looking up at him. He waits for her to talk, but just looking at her face makes him know that he is right.

Hannah sighs and she walks over to her bed where she picks up Ace in her arms and she sits down. Honggi keeps looking at her, still waiting.

“Jonghun will come soon,” she then says to Honggi without looking away from Ace in her arms. Hearing her avoid the topic makes him angry. “You should drink some more water,” Hannah also says, talking about the hangover he will probably get in the morning.

“Are you serious?” Honggi asks her in a high voice that makes both Hannah and Ace twitch. He looks angry at her. “Why can’t you talk to me? Why are you avoiding something that is so obvious?”

“Sssh,” Hannah hisses at him, afraid her members will wake up. Honggi walks over to her, sits down next to her with his body turned to her and he holds on to her arm to look at her. Ace jumps down on the floor.

“Your friend-act is very hard to stand,” Honggi tells her in a low, hard tone, not letting go of her arm while Hannah can’t look at him. “Even before when we were downstairs, you listened to everything I said and you even touched me to make me feel better. You know I won’t stop telling you the same thing over and over again, yet you can’t stay away from me. You get pissed of when I tell you that I like you, you even stop talking to me, but in the end you can’t be mad at me for long.”

“That has nothing to do with-”

“I can call you in the middle of the night or when you are busy during the day; yet you always take time to talk to me,” Honggi keeps on without letting her interrupt him. Hannah still won’t look at him. “Why do you keep denying it, Hannah?”

He gets quiet after that question, waiting for a respond. Hannah just sits still and looks down. He moves her arm in a try to make her look at him, but she can’t raise her head. Honggi holds on to her chin to make her look at him. Their eyes meet. Honggi looks angry and serious while Hannah looks just sad.

“I treat all good friends like that,” she tells him, talking about all the examples he has said.

“Liar,” he almost clenches his teeth when telling her, still holding on to her chin. Hannah slams away his hand from her chin, now looking irritated back at him.

“The reason why I don’t talk to you is because no matter what I say you won’t listen to me,” she answers one of his many questions.

“Because all you say is lies,” Honggi tells her. Her cell phone lying on the bed starts to ring and Honggi is fast to grab it before Hannah to turn off the call. He looks back at her, both of them staring at the other. “I am tired of your lies, Hannah. Be honest for once. Tell me that you love me more than a friend, don’t deny it anymore.”

“Then what?” Hannah asks him. “If I told you that, if I lie or not, what difference does it make?”

He takes a sudden grip of her; his hand by her jaw, his fingers in her hair and his thumb on her cheek. “It means everything for me.”

“Not for me,” Hannah whispers coldly when leaning a little closer to him. She grabs the cell phone in his hand at that moment and gets up, understanding that it was Jonghun who had called to say they are outside. Honggi gets up too and grabs her arm to turn her around. Hannah throws away his hand and then pushes him back, holding in the tears.

“Just go,” she almost cries at him, keeping her voice low even if her tone gives off the meaning she says. She stays still with her head low, boiling with frustration, when Honggi walks closer to her. He stops right next to her, looking down at her on the side.

“You are really the worst,” he tells her in a low voice, sounding as angry as he can, “Really, really the worst.” After those words he opens the door and walks out. Hannah walks out after him and just when she sees him closing the door to the apartment after him she locks it. She is angry and she leans her forehead against the door after locking it. She wants to cry, but because she is angry she holds in the tears.

Two minutes later she has calmed down and she turns around to go back to bed. A few steps later she stops and looks up. Some meters away from her stand Julia.

“Did I wake you up?” Hannah asks, pretending it’s nothing. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t act like nothing has happened, Hannah,” Julia whispers. “You can talk to me.”

Hannah nods. Julia gives a pout when seeing the tears forming in Hannah’s eyes and she walks over to give her a hug. Hannah hugs her back, saying she doesn’t know what to do. Julia holds on to her tight. A little later, Julia says they can talk in the morning, since they need to sleep. Again Hannah nods. After going to bed, Hannah can’t fall asleep. She keeps turning and sighing and turning again; it’s impossible to sleep.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Morning comes. Manager Lim drives the girls to the saloon to get ready for the music video filming. He mentions, just like Maria did, that Hannah doesn’t look well. She simply says that she didn’t sleep much, glancing at Julia who glances back.

At the saloon, Carolina makes her planned change of hair-style. Her hair that has gotten a little longer after their [I Love You] promotions where she had a straight short haircut in brown is now dyed to black and thinned out. She is really satisfied with the look, saying it makes her more mysterious. Emelia had the day before also changed her hair a little for their concert video filming. She had made her long hair a little more red, like a brown-red colour. It’s barely seen on Emelia though.

When they arrive at the set it isn’t finished for them to start filming, so the girls are told to wait in the room that has been prepared for them to rest and change in.

“Now, will you please tell me what’s wrong?” Maria sits down in front of Hannah who again is spacing out from her seat. Julia looks up when hearing Maria’s question, glancing at Hannah who looks up at their leader. When Hannah is about to say something, Maria interrupts her. “And don’t tell me it’s nothing. You look like you barely have slept and you have been acting really strange the whole morning. Now tell me what it is.”

Hannah tells them. All five members gather in the bathroom to not have anyone interrupting and she tells them about what happened during the night. They told Manager Lim that they were going to have a girl-talk, so he won’t interrupt them. Like always when Hannah has something to say, it ends with that Maria hugs her and says ‘oh, baby’ in a sad voice.

After they have had their talk the girls’ heads out of the bathroom, getting their make-up touched and waits for a few more minutes before they can meet the producer and start the filming.

During the first break, Hannah checks her cell phone. Jonghun has left several messages, both texts and voice mails. She ignores them all since she knows it will be about Honggi and instead sends a text to Jonghyun who also has sent a text to her. He doesn’t know anything about what happened at the night, and Hannah has no intention of telling him over the phone.

“Is it okay like this?” Julia asks when seeing Hannah leave her cell phone again. Hannah looks questioning at her. “To not talk to Honggi.”

“He won’t listen,” Hannah mutters. “And since I am the worst, he won’t talk to me.”

Julia looks a little upset. “Maybe you should talk to him,” she says, “you shouldn’t always wait for others to approach you, Hannah, at times you make mistakes too and you have to take the initiative sometimes. Don’t glare at me; you know it’s true.”

Hannah just walks away. She doesn’t want to talk to Honggi and not about him either. She tries to focus on the music video filming, but several times even the producer tells her to focus because she keeps making mistakes. It irritates her that she disappoints them all just because of what happened at the night. It irritates her that Honggi makes her unable to focus on the filming.

The days go on and during dinner they are all sitting and eating together. Emelia suddenly asks Hannah to come with her. They walk through the corridor, away from the set and Hannah asks what it is. She thinks she will be scolded for messing up so much during the day, but Emelia leads her to a room near the back door and when Hannah follows her inside she sees that Honggi is sitting in the room on the sofa.

“Talk,” is all Emelia tells them in a dark voice before going back to the door, pushing Hannah inside to not be in the way. “And don’t leave this room until you have made peace.” With those words she closes the door and it gets quiet in the room. Honggi doesn’t look up from where he is sitting and Hannah doesn’t move from where she is standing.

Emelia returns to the dinner with a satisfied little smile in her face. The other members look at her.

“I hope it will work,” Maria sounds doubtful, putting a spoonful of food in .

Hannah glances at Honggi. He is angry, and she can understand why. But she is angry too. Julia was right about that Hannah should take the initiative once in a while too, but she isn’t very good at it. The way his face curls up just slightly, so little that it is barely seen, makes her know he is angry at her. Like a child he is doing that expression. Hannah pouts, also looking like a child.

“Why are you here?” Hannah then asks.

Honggi almost glares at her, keeping his head low and looking up at her. Hannah looks back at him. It is like their eyes are shooting laser at each other.

“Your members told me to come,” he answers.

“That doesn’t mean you have to do as they say,” Hannah mutters. Honggi glares at her again while Hannah looks somewhere else.

“What’s your problem, Hannah?” he asks her, sounding really angry. “You are acting all close to me and then you push me away. It’s frustrating! You keep lying to me and no matter how much I think about it I can’t understand why you do that. Why can’t you be honest with me, Hannah? What are you afraid of?”

“I don’t know!” Hannah answers. It gets quiet. Honggi gets a softer face expression when looking at her while Hannah looks like she is about to cry. “You keep putting me in a corner, Honggi, over and over again. It’s uncomfortable and it freaks me out. I know that I love Jonghyun; it’s just something about him that really makes me feel different. But then it’s you … and I just get so confused.”

While Hannah is talking, half to herself and half to him, Honggi leaves his seat and walks over to her. He touches her arm carefully.

“I don’t know,” Hannah finally says in a low voice. Honggi puts his hand by her cheek, caressing it one time before taking his hand to the back of her head and embracing her in a hug. He closes his eyes when he feels her arms around him, hugging him back.

Seconds passes with the hugging each other before Honggi leans back, not stepping back so her grip loosens but he just leans his upper-body back a little. He puts both his hands around her face, making her look at him with tearful eyes. She is really beautiful even when she is on the verge to cry. The make-up for the music video makes her eyes look bigger, so he can understand why she is holding in the tears to not ruin the pretty make-up.

Honggi’s eyes are glimmering when Hannah looks at him. He has this sad face-expression that is like art when she looks at him, making her not wanting to look away. Honggi leans closer, his face in front of hers, and he closes his eyes when his lips touch hers in a soft kiss. Hannah closes her eyes too, and like in a perfect movie a tear falls when she closes her eyes. She just stands there without moving even if his lips are touching hers.