Chapter 27

5 Pieces' Magnae (5)

Maria looks upset when they are waiting to board the plane at the airport.

“We should have a talk when we come back,” she finally says and looks up at Carolina and Julia who just came back from the bathroom. “A serious talk; it’s been a while since we had that last time.”

“Yeah, because we never have the time,” Emelia chuckles, “And when we have time you either go to sleep or are busy dancing around to music.”

Maria bites back, saying she is always there if someone wants to talk, even when she is tired. That she can’t be the one who always tells them to have these talk meetings. Hannah hugs her arm, quietly saying that they will have a talk. They keep mentioning it when they are boarding the plane and Hannah even covers Maria’s mouth when noticing she is getting fired up at Emelia’s ignorance. Their manager scolds them too for talking about it in public, since fans are crowding around inside the airport.

Maria quiets down and puts her arm around Hannah instead, saying there is good they have her to cheer her up.

“I can’t cheer people up,” Hannah laughs.

“Dance for me,” Maria tells her in English and she starts to move her body a little. When Maria starts to lowly sing *b-bring the boys out* both of them starts to do the dance in SNSD’s [The Boys] where they sing *girls generation make you feel the heat* and they can hear fans shout loudly.

Hannah laughs and pushes Maria a little out of embarrassment and she then waves happily to the fans before heading on the plane.

Hours later they are at the rehearsal of MAMA Awards in Singapore together with other artists. Wearing casual clothes they take on the stage for the rehearsal of their performance. Before the rehearsal they sit backstage, waiting for their turn. Super Junior’s Donghae sits with them for a while too, talking like always.

“You really look tired,” Donghae mentions when Carolina comes over to where they are sitting.

“Mm. Our schedule has been really killing lately,” Carolina answers, eating a tangerine. “We barely got any sleep last week with the music video filming and MelOn, and this weekend we had a photo shoot for two full days, and also the practice for MAMA.”

“It’s always like that,” Donghae says. “Going back and forth from this and that. It’s hectic.”

The girls are nodding in agreement.

Talking to seniors like this actually helps them a lot, they can change their mind in how to not look so tired in public and be given advice. The girls are sensitive now. Because of their schedule in Korea, Japan, the preparations for the concert and that they will go to Europe in just a week makes them worried and they stress about it since they have had a busy schedule since they came back to Korea in June, with the preparations for the album and then the album was released in August, so they have had it tough and it won’t loosen up yet.

“How do you feel about going to Europe then?” Eunhyuk asks when he comes over to them too. “I heard there are thousand of fans wanting you to come.”

“Not thousand of fans,” Emelia laughs. “But we have been practicing our greeting in different languages.”

“We were told to talk in English,” Carolina tells. “And in Sweden we speak Swedish.”

“Swedish,” Donghae says out of nowhere.

“They will have translators for us when we are in Paris and in… the country they talk,” Maria says and points at Emelia and Julia.

“Germany,” Julia chuckles.

“I only know what it’s named in Swedish,” Maria shrugs her shoulders, not interested at all to learn the country’s name in Korean. They are then told to go to the stage, so the members of Super Junior they walk by does high-five with them when passing to the stage.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

After finishing rehearsal they head back to the hotel. Emelia and Carolina are sharing one hotel room with stylist Mi Young while Hannah, Julia and Maria are sharing another room. All the girls meet up in the first room and Hannah lies down tiredly on her stomach in Carolina’s bed.

Mi Young is in another room; the girls don’t really keep an eye on what she is doing.

“About tomorrow…” Hannah mumbles, still lying on the bed. “We shouldn’t expect anything, right?”

“Mm,” Julia nods and sits down next to her.

“Even if we have been told to not expect anything, we should still have fun,” Maria says in a loud voice. “We are the strong and confident 5 Pieces who lately also have become very cute. We should feel honoured to just be nominated.”

Ever since they were told they were nominated at the music awards – like MAMA – they have been told to not expect to win any awards. Time after time they have been told to not expect anything, and the girls know why. They aren’t Koreans, not even Asians, but they are proud over themselves that they will get to perform at the awards and even being nominated at least. A part of them are still disappointed that they won’t win anything; since they are aware of that their music has been very popular.

“We could have a talk now,” Carolina suggests out of the blue.

A minute later, the girls are sitting together on one bed. Hannah and Julia are both sitting with their backs against the wall, Emelia is sitting in the corner of the wall, stretching out her legs over the bed while Carolina is sitting on the side and Maria is for once sitting with a straight back – which changes after a few minutes.

“Who wants to start?” Maria asks but raises her hand herself. “Wait. Something is missing.”

“Food,” Emelia chuckles

“Yes, but that’s not what I mean,” Maria says and crawls over their legs to the hotel phone. “What language do you speak here?”

“For you, it’s English,” the girls’ chuckles, all of them wondering what she will do.

Maria calls down to the receptionist to ask for a favour, and she asks if there is a possibility they can get some candles. Not many, but big. They are being said they will take care of it and Maria thanks before she asks if they can get some pancakes too.

“Ooh, pancakes,” Hannah and Emelia both smiles when hearing what she orders. And Hannah also adds: “ask for Coke.”

While waiting for the candles and pancakes, the girls starts to talk. Julia gets to talk about We Got Married. Since weeks have passed – okay, months – since they started, feelings can have developed. But Julia and Kevin had texted each other when they weren’t filming and made sure they aren’t liking each other the wrong way – but the filming is still going very well and they are very cute together.

They are all good at talking when they are with each other. Since they don’t have to think of how to talk or what language, it’s easy for all of them to talk comfortably. When the pancakes arrive they are eating and talking at the same time; going from this topic to that, back to a previous topic and going to another. It’s like always.

They bring up the worries they have. They will face new challenges, with the Japanese debut and European meetings. Hannah’s mother seems upset again, barely talking to Hannah while Julia’s mother is worried about their health and Carolina’s mother will even come to the concert in Korea in January to support them. They also talks about MAMA that is in a day, but doesn’t get to say much before they are told to go to bed.

Before going to bed, the girls put their hands together on Maria’s command.

“Winners of awards or not, we are 5 Pieces and tomorrow we will bring a hot performance like we always do,” Maria says and smiles when hearing the members laugh at her words. “We are 5 Pieces.”

“5 Pieces!” they laugh together.

5P_HANNAH: Excited about tomorrow, we will try to show a good performance! Will you watch it? For everyone, a picture of me and Julia from the airport ^^,

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

The next day, the girls get ready for the red carpet. They aren’t wearing their stage outfits but more comfortable and not as cute outfits for the red carpet. Already in the black van they can hear the noise when they drive up to the carpet and a woman in pink dress talks in English next to the van.

“And next arriving to the red carpet is the pop idol group 5 Pieces!” the woman’s voice echoes through the microphone when the door opens. The group walks out one after one and before they starts to head for the brief carpet interview they waits for each other to walk together. “The charismatic 5 Pieces have become world known artists with this year’s music and they also changed their style from charismatic to cute, and today they are owning the red carpet with their beautiful clothes and just look at those heels!”

They stand up next to each other with the nicely dressed interviewers on both of their sides. On their left side they are asked to introduce themselves by the Koreans. “Hello, we are 5 Pieces!” and they also adds in English before the one on the right side asks them in English how it feels to be in Singapore.

“This is our third time visiting Singapore and we really like the city and the weather,” Carolina answers in English. “And to be able to attend MAMA is a big honour for us.”

“What are you expecting of today’s MAMA?” they are asked, still in English.

“There are many great artists here today, so we are expecting to see a lot of amazing performances, including our own,” Emelia is answering, though she doesn’t forget to look charismatic since she is still into having that as her image.

The girls walk over to the wall to take pictures after the interview, standing next to each other and raising a hand, looking here and there at the cameras trying to take their pictures. Hannah has a sweet smile in her face and she moves her head slightly every other second to varies the pictures.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

At the beginning of the MAMA awards, 5 Pieces is sitting with some of the other artists in the audience. They are sitting in front of SNSD when they come, everyone still in their beautiful outfits. When hearing Super Junior win as Singapore’s favourite, they stands up, applauding and cheering them on. Maria leans forward to do high five with Shindong.

When Koda Kumi sings, Hannah sings along for herself. She really loves the song [Ai No Uta] and she doesn’t even notice that the camera for the show catches her for a second too.

The girls are sitting like hypnotized when will.i.am starts his performance. It looks really cool to have all the dancers a screen over their head that shows the artist’s face singing the song. None of them are big fans of Black Eyed Peas, but it is still really cool. They are all really having fun during [Where is the love], standing up and singing along to the parts they know. Like they say; music makes one.

Hannah is teary when they watch Ulala Session’s performance. She had no idea of who they were before, but just like that she knows who they are and hearing their singing makes her eyes get teary. They are really amazing. Next to her, Julia takes her hand in hers.

Later when Seo In Young gets award for her style, Maria is clapping her hands wildly. For those who don’t know, Maria is a big fan of hers. The camera team seems to know as they focus on Maria for a few seconds. Maria is in a trance now when Seo In Young is on the stage, leaning towards Julia to see the stage.

They watch SNSD’s performance. Always impressive and Super Junior’s a little later is also very impressive. The girls are standing up for Super Junior’s performance, standing with SNSD, clapping their hands and again enjoying the performance of their seniors and idols.

They head backstage before the next winners are announced. Like they were told they have been nominated for many categories, but they won’t win. They also know that either Super Junior or 2NE1 will win the final, biggest awards at the end. They are looking forward to it since they are friends with both groups. Either way, 5 Pieces are nervous about their own performance.

When they go backstage to prepare for their performance – changing outfits and that – it’s chaos because the clothes had been mixed up and the nervousness to the performance is making the problem bigger than it is, even when it’s solved.

Hannah fixes her necklace so it won’t fall off and Emelia has to fix her heels. 2NE1 is also backstage to prepare for their stage next to 5 Pieces, and they give them a fast cheer.

Its 5 Pieces turn in a few minutes. The girls get together before they have to go take their positions, and Hannah can feel that they are all nervous for the performance.

“5 Pieces,” Maria says and looks at them, “let’s show them what makes 5 Pieces, pieces of one. Who are we?”

“5 Pieces!”

“WHO ARE WE?”

“5 PIECES!” they all screams and throw their hands in the air.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 28th: 5 Pieces Heads To Singapore

Headline 28th: Best Of 5 Pieces Airs 17th Episode With FT Island – Highest Viewer Rating So Far!

Headline 28th: FT Island & 5 Pieces Again Reveals They Are The Best Friends Through Best Of 5

Headline 28th: Emelia & Hannah Have Been Best Friends For Almost Ten Years