Chapter 3

Cure From The Cold-Blooded

Chapter 3: My Story Part III

 

"Wake up!”

I squinted after hearing the voice - familiar yet unfamiliar. I sat up, rubbed my right eye with my right finger. Finally, when I’m half awake, I looked up to find the voice whereabouts. It was the man.

I looked at him, still refusing to speak.

“Get up right now and prepared. Today you’re going to find a job, and if you don’t or at the end of the day, come back telling me you can’t find any, I’ll sell you off to the brothel, you heard me?!” His voice. It was disgusting. I couldn’t even look at him in the eyes anymore.

"How did I end up here?" I thought to myself.

I nodded. That was the most I could do.

Right after he left the room, I went to the toilet that was located beside my desk. It was small, extremely small but enough for me.

I could feel a sense of relief when the cold water hit me. There was nothing I wanted more than staying there for the rest of my life. After the extremely long yet seemed short shower, I wrapped a towel over myself and walked to my bag that was still placed beside my bed.

I was too tired to even pack my bag last night that I fell asleep right away.

I put on a white loose t-shirt and a torn legging. I took my phone and headphone and walked down the hallway of the empty and dark apartment. Frankly, it’s really dark even though it’s in the morning. I looked around and saw no one. It was so quiet I could hear a pin drop.

I put on my white sneakers and headed out.

I walked down the street. It was my first time - being by myself, with no one watching over me. I couldn’t understand this feeling, but I was happy. I felt free for the first time. I looked around and watched every move of every single person that I’ve lay eyes on. I looked at every store and every restaurant, and examined everything that the people do. I walked passed a restaurant, and unknowningly, I turned back. It looked like it has been here for decades. It is old, the wall is dirty and the interior and exterior of the restaurant is old and vintage. I walked in, not knowing what my legs just did. I looked around. There were not much people. It was my first time - my first time to ever enter such restaurant.

“Do you need anything, young lady?” a soft voice was heard.

I turned around and saw an old lady. She looked fragile yet strong and happy. She smiled. She smiled at me. It was by far the most comforting expression I’ve ever seen since my brother…

“I…I…” I muttered.

“Here, take a seat.” She offered me the empty seat beside her.

I sat down quietly. I also realized I was actually speaking.

I never leave my sight off her. She was comforting. I felt safe around her and I’ve no idea why.

“Now have a sip and when you’re ready, you can tell me what you want. I’ll try my best to help you.” She said while flashing another warm smile at me as she handed me a glass of ice water.

“Are you hiring?” I said, stopping her as she walked away.

She turned around.

“Yes, love. I needed help. Would you like to work for me here?” She flashed me another smile.

“Yes, please. Can I start today?” As much as I know I have no experience in working and I’m too exhausted to do anything right now, her presence was the only thing I needed right now.

“Yes. You can help me by clearing those plates there. And if you don’t mind, can I ask a favor from you?” She asked.

“Definitely. Anything, Madam.” I looked at her, full with curiosity.

“Smile, love. You’re beautiful and if you smile, you’ll look even beautiful.” She smiled, "And please, called me halmeoni."

I looked at her. My mind was in total blank.

“Beautiful?” I thought to myself.

This was the first time I’ve ever heard someone said that I’m beautiful. Is that how I should feel? Happy?

I gave her a smile, the smile that I once wore every day.

Without saying another word, I went to the tables full of dirt plates and started piling them up. I’ve no idea how I did it, maybe because I always helped the servants back then. It’s kind of weird to even say that now. I don’t even have the rights to say I’ve a family once.

 

 

It was already 11 pm.

“Thank you for your help, young lady. If you’re still willing to stay here and work for me, please come here tomorrow at 1pm. It’s okay with you?” the old lady said.

I nodded. I bowed to her and waved goodbye before I turned around and walked back to the hell of an empty and dead place.

“What’s your name, love?”

I turned back to her and look at her for a few seconds.

“Dara. My name is Dara.” I flashed her a weak smile.

“Dara. What a pretty name. Now run along, it’s late and you sure don’t want to make your parents worry.” Before I could say anything, she turned and walked away with another man - the man who worked at the restaurant as well, probably her son.

“Dara. What a pretty name.” … “you sure don’t want to make your parents worry.”

Her words lingered in my mind. Parents? Pretty name?

Finally, I reached the door. I bent down to the carpet and took out the key that was hidden there.

I slid the key into the keyhole and turned.

 

*CLICK*

 

I removed my shoes and walked towards my room.

Right before I reached my room, I passed by a room. I heard commotion and a woman screaming.

I covered my mouth with both of my hands and slowing leaned against the door.

My head was twirling in confusion. All I could heard were the sound of broken glass smashing everywhere, and the sound of furniture breaking. Still, nothing could beat the loudness of the woman scream.

 

 

 

*BANG*

 

 

 

“AHHHHHH!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. I fell to the cold hard floor staring at the door that was shut right in front of me.

Suddenly, the door bolted opened.

I slowly looked up. The eyes - the eyes that I hated to see. It was staring back at me. I snapped back to reality and realize his face was splatter with blood – red fresh blood. He's holding onto a gun on his right gun, and his knuckles is bleeding.

I slowly lowered my head and saw nothing but a woman lying on the floor. The floor was full of blood. The smell of the house was disgusting; the smell of death, to be exact.

I was shivering and shaking in fear. I wanted to scream but somehow my voice betrayed me.

I stared at the floor, stunned. I was trying to put back pieces in what I saw seconds ago. Suddenly, a rough hand was placed at my chin. My head was roughly tilted up. I didn’t cry. I’ve no idea why there was no tears forming. I was confused as .

“If you ever dare to tell anyone what you saw or heard, I’ll personally kill you.” He let go of my chin roughly.

“You... you killed her.” I stuttered, still staring at the floor.

I could feel his eyes burning holes everywhere of me.

I slowly stood up and looked at him.

“You killed her.” I said.

 

*PA*

 

I could taste blood, blood on my lips. I wiped it off with the back of my hand and stared back at him.

Before I could registered whatever that had happened, I felt someone grabbed my hair and pushed me against the wall.

“Don’t you dare, .” His voice was as cold as his eyes.

He let go of my hair. I’ve no idea where he got all that strength but I fell to the floor.

I saw his shadows slowly backing away from me. I was relieved but still shivering as I watched him dragged the woman out of his room.

Floor stained with innocent blood.

I stood up, trying to walk as fast as possibly back to my room.

“Have you got a job?” that voice again.

“Ye…yes.” I said, looking at the door of my room, wanting to ran towards it immediately.

“Good. Every month, you're gonna hand in to me your pay and if I caught you hiding even one cent of it, you know what I’ll do.”

I ran towards my room, not wanting to know what he’s going to do with that woman.

 

I sat on my  bed, with my knees bended. I hugged my knees and lowered my head.

“Help me. Someone help me.” I thought to myself.

 

 

 

It was just another day at the restaurant. I was walking back to the murderer’s place.

I locked myself in my room right after I reached that indescribable gross place.

 

*BANG*

 

I heard the entrance door shut closed.

I hide under my blanket, trying to block myself away from the world, but I guess it didn’t worked.

 

I was pulled out of the bed and the next thing I know, I was slammed onto the cold concrete wall.

He was drunk. He was so drunk, I know nothing good is going to happen.

 

I was consistently slammed back against the wall; I can feel my back starting to bruise.

My lips started bleeding when he slapped me with all his strength.

Still, no tears were formed. I fell onto the wall. Staring into blank spaces, not thinking what he’s going to do next.

 

“You little !” he shouted.

He reeked of alcohol and I hated it. I don’t even know what I did to deserve his unstoppable violence.

My head was knocked against the wall. My body was starting to bruise and bleed.

 

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

It has been five years. The same violence I’ve experience. Till now, my body will still be full of bruises and cuts.

He thought his violence could scare me and make me be obedient towards him. However, that's where he's wrong.

I've saved a sum of amount from extra work. I never eat three meals a day, I never buy pretty clothes or shoes, I never go to the salon. I saved every penny I’ve earned.

I’m leaving. And he won’t stop me.