Taking Responsibility [6]

Indestructible
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica lay on her bed with a smile; a smile that meant her life was about to change for the best very soon. She never thought that she would end up dating her best friend of many years because firstly, she didn't believe in maintaining a platonic relationship when they broke up. Secondly, they were just too close as friends to develop into something more and lastly.... she just never saw Yuri in that way. 

To say that she never suspected Yuri of having feelings for her was an utter lie because she could see it in his actions though he was never vocal about it. Many a time, Yuri chose to pick up the pieces of her mess not because she asked for it, but because he was willing to despite her protests. 

“Sooyeon! Yuri’s here to pick you up for class!” 

 

Flashback. 

Jessica was still crying in her own room at the Kims', she wanted to be at home with her mother so much. Even though her mother never really supported her and even knocked her down when she was feeling low, Jessica knew that without her mother, she would cease to exist today. She buried her face in the pillow, trying her best to stop her tears from spilling out. 

“Jessica?” Mrs Kim poked her head in.

“W-What?”

Mrs Kim felt her heart crack at the very sight of Jessica, the girl was a complete wreck by now. She hadn't stopped crying ever since she stepped foot into the Kims' house and no one disturbed her for they would never be able to understand how bad the situation was. Every time she came home after school, she would just lock herself in the room and cry. Almost a week had passed but nothing has changed. 

And therefore, Mrs Kim was overjoyed at this moment, “there’s someone looking for you downstairs.” 

 

Taeyeon was there. Yuri was there. Sooyoung was there. Sunny was there. Hyoyeon was there. Unexpectantly, Soojin and Yoona were there too.

And..... her parents. 

 

“S-Sooyeon…” Mrs Jung stood from her seat instantly, her teary eyes showing just how much she had missed her daughter. Jessica stood rooted in her spot; she didn’t know whether to acknowledge her parents or not, considering that Mr Jung had already disowned her and Mrs Jung didn’t do anything to stop it.

Yuri frowned when Jessica didn’t move at all but he could understand why she was in such a dilemma. His best friend was just being the paranoid girl she was underneath that bravado she had in school. He received a small nudge from Yoona, “go to her… I think she needs someone’s reassurance.” Yoona winked, making Yuri blush slightly. By now, Yuri had already made sure he would put more effort into Jessica and not Yoona because his feelings towards Yoona were merely an infatuation which wouldn’t last.

With every step Yuri took towards Jessica, both Mr and Mrs Jung were only more convinced that their baby girl would be in good hands even if she didn’t have them by her side.

Jessica looked up when she saw Yuri’s feet next to hers, “Yul…” Yuri didn’t say a word, simply wrapping his arms around her shoulders as he brought her into a hug. Jessica felt as if a water dam had just been released, her tears falling once more as she drenched Yuri’s t-shirt. “Shhh… your parents are here to see you, Sica. Why are you crying?”

When Jessica started to shake her head uncontrollably, Mr Jung felt his own tears pool in the corner of his eyes. He and his wife had neglected her so much to the extent where she didn’t even know if she was worthy of being a part of her biological family again. “Yeobo…” Mrs Jung sighed, rubbing her husband’s back, “go to her, please.”

Yuri knew when it was his turn to move and he reluctantly broke the hug, even with Jessica's fingers clutching tightly to his t-shirt. Jessica dipped her head even lower when she saw her father staring at her with an unreadable expression; she was completely ashamed. 

 

However, it wasn't Jessica who started to cry first.

It was Mr Jung. 

 

He broke down in full view of everyone and into Jessica's embrace, unable to believe how heartless he was when he kicked his own daughter out. He wasn't able to understand how Jessica felt at all; in the past, when she was attending high school and even now, when she had accidentally messed up and needed someone by her side. He wasn't a good father. 

“I’m s-so… so sorry, princess…” Mr Jung whimpered, hugging Jessica so tightly that she thought she was going to suffocate, “I’m a bad daddy! I’m not f-fit to be one…” 

And as Mr Jung confessed all his mistakes, Jessica didn't even realise that Mrs Jung was now standing behind her with tears rolling down her cheeks as well. Jessica felt her own tears fall when Mrs Jung hugged her tightly as well, her heart feeling so warm and overwhelmed by the change in her parents.

 

From that day forth, Mr and Mrs Jung both made Jessica a promise - to be worthy and supportive parents and grandparents. 

 

Flashback end.

 

She couldn't hide the smile appearing on her face when she heard her mother's voice echoing from downstairs. “Coming, Umma!” Jessica yelled back and leaped up from the bed, checking herself out in front of the mirror one more time.

There was a difference in status this time so she couldn’t afford to be too casual.

The term 'best friends' was going to be past tense soon.

 

Yuri didn't know just how beautiful his best friend could be when she wanted to be and he was completely stunned in his footsteps. He couldn't stop grinning at the mer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter