Rescuing the Captives

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It early in the morning when Mihyun woke up. The third day in this prison cell. She glanced at Soyeon who leaned against the wall, her eyes closed. Suddenly the door to the corridor was opened and the girl squinted her eyes, attempting to see who came in. Two guards and the one who seemed to be the boss of this prison.

 

As they got closer, Mihyun realized that they were going to her cell. Could it be that her father agreed to the extortion? Was she free? For a short moment thoughts like these shot through her mind. Only a few seconds later, she regretted having even thought of her father, when the 'Boss' grumbled, “That Kim girl.”

 

Mihyun quickly closed her eyes and feigned to be asleep, as the man unlocked the cell's door. She opened one of her eyes irreducibly and peeked at the man that had entered the prison cell. The key – probably for the prison cells – hung from his belt, and Mihyun had to hold back the urge to grasp at the keys. An attempt to flee right now was most-likely not going to work, since she couldn’t get past the two guards. She had to wait for less opponents.

 

Soyeon was still half asleep while she was being dragged away. Mihyun watched with a slightly bitter expression, as the girl was being brought away. To her family, Mihyun thought. A small spark of envy spread across her body. No one was going to get her, since she knew her father very well. She had to get out by herself.

 

When the door closed again, all the guards had left the corridor, Mihyun stood up and walked closer to that one particular bar. The thinner one. She wrapped her fingers around it and pulled a bit. The bar was slightly loose. She put all her strength into pulling. Pulled and pulled, until the bar was distorted.

 

Letting go of the bar, she loosened the stiffness in her hand and held up her hand right in front of the gap between the distorted bar and another one. Her hand went forward, and Mihyun nodded her head when she noticed that her hand fit through the gap.

 

Now she had to wait.

 

Many hours passed. Mihyun felt like it was eternity. The cold ground of the prison cell against her skin. The humid room. It was suffocating. She wanted to get out. She wanted to put her plan into action. Impatience shot through her whole body, her fist clenched and loosened, again and again. There was this uncontrollable tension. This terrible tension and anxiety.

 

Then finally, after the sun had already set, the door to the corridor was opened again and only one man came in. It was the one with the keys – Mihyun recognized him immediately – and he went from cell to cell to bring food and water. Shortly before he reached Mihyun's cell, she stood up and went closer to the bars.

 

The man didn’t even look at her, crouched down and pushed the tablet with the food closer to the cell. Just as he wanted open the tiny aperture, that was very low at the bars, Mihyun let out a small scream. Then she feigned groans of pain and held her head. The man instinctively shot up and made one step closer to the prison cell.

 

Mihyun knew he didn’t have the intention of helping her, but out of reflex he had just stepped closer. Reflex. Only one second. And that was her chance. Without wasting any second, her hand shot through the gap and grabbed the man's arm. She pulled arm closer, until it was halfway through the gap, and twisted it. Her other hand also shot up and helped twisting the man's arm. He let out a groan and involuntarily turned around, his neck facing Mihyun. Without any second thought, she forcefully hit his neck through the gap. Hopefully she did it properly, the way Luhan taught her. Within seconds the man fell on the ground, unconscious, and a huge sigh of relief escaped Mihyun's lips. Thank God.

 

Taking a shaky breath, she pulled the man's lower part of his body closer to the cell and grabbed the keys. Once she held them in her hand, she immediately unlocked the cell. As fast as possible, she unlocked the cell next to hers and motioned the boy and the girl in the cell to be quiet. They looked at her with wide eyes before following her silently.

 

After unlocking about six prison cells, the door opened and Mihyun almost let go of the keys from shock. One of the guards drew in a sharp breath and immediately ran towards Mihyun. Just as she wanted to turn around and run, the captives, she had freed, shot forward and pushed the guard on the ground. By now more than fifteen captives were out of their cells – enough to overwhelm the guards.

 

More guards entered the corridor, but so did Mihyun free more captives. Soon all the prison cells were unlocked, and the huge grou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter