Suspicion

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The panic in Mihyun's voice was more than evident and Luhan worriedly touched her arm when she hung up.

 

She quickly explained the situation to him and told him to bid the members goodbye in her place and already started running, ready to dash off, when he suddenly grabbed her wrist.

 

“What are you doing?” Mihyun asked him, trying to get rid of his hand, but he only shook his head.

 

“What are you doing? You don’t know the way to your home, do you?” He asked back, and she immediately shut up. In all her panic, she had totally forgotten that she couldn’t possibly go home by herself because she didn’t know the way.

 

“Aside from that it's already past midnight. I'll take you home.” He mumbled, pulling her forward and Mihyun quickened her pace in an instant.

 

The two of them left the building through the backdoor and ran outside. After what felt like eternity, Mihyun stopped to breathe. Her chest ached and her breath was extremely loud and unsteady - it felt terrible.

 

She motioned to Luhan that she had to take a short rest, just to get some oxygen into her hurting lungs. She could feel him pat her back as she took deep breaths, filling the deathly silence of the night with her panting.

 

A few seconds passed, Mihyun straightened up, ready to run again, only to fall on her knees - something in her thought she couldn’t run anymore. It felt like they had been running straight for thirty minutes, when it had probably been half of the time, but her stamina wasn't good at all because of lack of sport she did as a child; sports was too 'dangerous' for a heiress...

 

Luhan gently pulled Mihyun up by her arm and walked forward. Then he turned around and reached out his hand to her, smiling.

 

His smile was encouraging Mihyun more than words could ever have; it was the brightness, the gentleness and mostly the trust in his eyes that made you believe that if you took his hand, everything would be alright. She gratefully smiled back, took his hand and started to run again.

 

She was running as fast as she could, holding Luhan's hand, while he was leading the two of them through the darkness of the night.

 

 

 

Heavily panting, they finally arrived at Mihyun's mansion's yard. She took a deep breath and could feel Luhan squeezing her hand lightly. He smiled at her and as he let to of her hand, Mihyun realized something. Luhan's hand was so familiar to her that it felt so empty and cold without his warmth and something in her just wanted to grab it again and never let go.

 

Mihyun gulped, smiled weakly back to him and waved at him before tip-toeing to the entrance. She turned around one last time, just barely catching a glimpse of that angelic smile of his before he disappeared into the darkness.

 

 

The door was open and Hyosung stood there, the telephone in her hand, and worry written in her face. She pushed the phone into Mihyun's hand.

 

She frowned as she slowly put it next to her ear.

 

“H-Hello?”

 

“Mihyun.” Her father said through the phone, sounding strangely unfocused.

 

“Yes.” Mihyun hoped that her voice wouldn’t give away how nervous she was.

 

“I won't come home for a while.” He replied and Mihyun didn’t even feel that stitch that she had always felt when she was smaller. Guess, I got used to it.

 

“But you're not going to leave the house for the following weeks, don’t even go to the circus.” His voice sounded so unusual, almost like he was afraid. Mihyun frowned. Her father, afraid?

 

“Why?” Was all she asked.

 

“I can't explain it. But listen, if you go out, you will be punished. Don't forget that. Only to school and back and never forget the bodyguards.”

 

Mihyun's eyebrows creased even more. Her father sounded so strangely distracted, as if his mind was somewhere else.

 

What he said next, almost made Mihyun fall from the stairs that she had been standing on. “I already organized your birthday fete. Every information will be send to the new maids. Since it's your 18th, the fete is going to be big. I invited all of the higher class and the royal family.”

 

Why did the man that called himself her father suddenly want to throw a fete fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter