Birthday Fete IV.

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As Mihyun stepped away, Luhan grabbed her arm carefully and she instinctively turned her face to him. A huge mistake. Mihyun cursed the one tear that rolled down her cheek when their eyes met. She threw him one last stare before dashing away.

 

The guests looked at the middle of the hall with dropped jaws. The crown princess was being kissed by an artist while the birthday child, an extremely rich heiress, just ran away. It was silent until Luhan let go of the princess, who was slightly dazed from the kiss. She quickly recovered and motioned the guests to back to whatever they were doing.

 

The guests nodded, the alcohol in their blood made them feel relaxed, and no one seemed to be bothered about the fact that Luhan just kissed the crown princess. Better for him though.

 

 

 

Mihyun ran out of the hall, not bothering about the weird gazes she got and the people she bumped into. She just wanted to get away. The lass entered the corridors and didn’t bother to stop until she'd feel calmer. As the chaos of feelings finally subsided a bit, she stopped and leaned her back against a wall.

 

More tears had rolled down her cheek while she was running. Mihyun slapped her cheeks, telling herself to stop crying. Ashamed, she wiped away the tears. Why the heck did she cry over something like this?! Because of a kiss? She huffed. There was no reason to cry or to feel angry. It wasn’t like she never saw him kiss... but Mihyun knew that there was a huge difference.

 

She had seen Luhan kiss many girls, yes, but that had been during the musicals, meaning it was always scripted, it was just acting. But earlier he was kissing a girl of his own choice. No script said so, no one forced him. He did it, not because the princess forced him, only because the princess asked him to do so.

 

Mihyun laughed bitterly. Didn’t she say that it was up to Luhan whether he'd kiss the princess or not, only a few seconds before the kiss? So it was up to him, and he did it. Did that mean that he wanted to? There was no other reasonable motive for kissing the princess. The realization hit Mihyun hard, and it hurt. It really did.

 

 

 

 

Luhan watched as Mihyun ran out of the hall. His heart clenched, yet he couldn’t run after her, at least not now. He never expected her to cry, and as he remembered how disappointed and hurt her eyes had looked earlier, glittering with tears, he drew in a sharp breath.

 

He never intended to hurt her. He'd never. But that damn girl just had to let her emotions take her over... Luhan was honestly touched that Mihyun was so angry at what the crown princess said, but he could care less about what that stupid princess said. What bothered him was that Mihyun put herself into danger, again.

 

When Mihyun was constantly retorting to what the princess said, he already sent her warning glances. He was worried about what would happen to her if she had a fight with the crown princess. That girl never thought about the consequences in these situations. If she had actually slapped the princess, she would have been jailed immediately. In this society, the royal family was treated like the nation's treasure.

 

When the princess was about to yell that Mihyun had wanted to slap her, Luhan couldn’t think of something else to silence her. So he kissed her... A kiss didn’t mean much to him. In all those musicals he already kissed so many girls he even stopped counting. But he didn’t expect to hurt Mihyun with this.

 

He saw it again and again, in front of his mind's eye. Mihyun's hurt expression and those glittering tears.

 

Luhan had to admit, what the princess said was really ridiculous and exactly the kind he hated. That naive, unknowing and arrogant way of thinking that artists were less worth than others. That their opinion was unimportant.

 

He smiled a bit as he recalled what Mihyun said.

 

I don’t think it's up to you or me to decide whether he does it or not, but up to him. Amid all those arrogant and terrible people, she was the one who thought about him. To the outerworld the princess might seem like the nicer girl with the cute aura and sweetly done actions and Mihyun the colder one, because she emitted a darker aura and didn’t bother to behave sweetly. But Luhan knew which girl actually possessed the kinder heart. It was his one and only Mihyun.

 

But no matter how much Mihyun had of a kinder heart, the princess would always win. Not only because of the royal blood, but because people always failed to look behind the facade. They failed to see what was behind those sweetly done actions, the bright smiles, the cute aura.

 

A person could have the kindest heart in the world, if the behavior was, like the upper-class would say, inappropriate, then the person wasn’t a good one.

 

Smiling sweetly doesn’t equal to having a good heart. Nor does not smiling make you a bad human. That was something those superficial humans had yet to learn.

 

 

Luhan looked at the princess, who stood next to him, still slightly dazed from the kiss. He ignored the gazes from the guests, even though he knew what he did was probably as reckless and dangerous as Mihyun's slap would have been. Luhan knew what he did. At least he thought so.

 

The princess, flush

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter