Birthday Fete I.

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The preparation for the birthday fete was in full progress. A mansion that was always used for big events- of course it belonged to the Lee property- was being cleaned by thirty new maids, who were newly employed. The kitchen had also employed ten more cooks and assistants only to prepare the fancy food for the tonight's fete.

 

It was loud- one cook was yelling at an assistant in the huge kitchen because the box, in which the lobsters were, was missing, thus causing a fight within the already running, sweating and yelling maids. It was almost describable as chaos. Rare for something like chaos to be happening on poverty of the upper-class, let alone on Lee's.

 

And everything was happening because of a mere birthday, but of course it wasn’t a normal one, it was a fancy one.

 

“All the fuss over my birthday.” Mihyun muttered to herself, highly irritated, as some maids were trying to make a beautiful hairstyle of her hair. Already two hours did the lass spend in this changing room - three if the one hour for measuring for the dress she was going to wear, was counted - and she was close to stomping out of the room and ripping that terribly tight dress off her skin, along with ruining the complicated construction, people called sophisticated hairstyle.

 

She always hated getting dressed and whatnot for an event. But today was really the worst, it wasn’t enough that she had to wear a pretty dress, no, it had to be a specifically tailored, just for her. And she had to stand a whole hour for the sartorial. A normal dress would have been perfectly fine. Heck, even her school uniform would have been enough.

 

All the extravagance... Mihyun didn’t know what to do with it. What she had wanted her whole life was a normal birthday fete with the people she loved, maybe along with a small cake and sincere birthday greetings.

 

When the maids behind her finally gave her signal that she was finished and could leave, the girl almost jumped from the chair. Immediately, the maids came to smooth down the creases that had formed on the dress in Mihyun's hurry. Because Mihyun ran too fast out of the room, some small strands fell out of her hairdo, but she could care less. She just wanted to get out of the room.

 

The car was already parking in front of the mansion, and drove away when the door was closed and the heiress was in it. The atmosphere in the car was tense because Mihyun didn’t have the happy aura a normal birthday kid would have. Hers was dark. When she got out of the car, she hoped that the fete wouldn’t be half as bad as she was expecting it to be. The lass entered the mansion from the backdoor, and to her surprise her father approached her.

 

When did he come back? Mihyun thought, frowning as she felt her father's hand on her shoulder.

 

“I came back just for this fete.” He said, but his daughter didn’t show any reaction. Nothing. But what did he expect? A heartbreaking father-daughter reunion? Mihyun almost laughed as the thought crossed her mind. “Ah.” Was all the lass said before proceeding to go to the huge hall of the mansion. She opened the door to it, and stopped to peek inside.

 

The hall was already filled with people, and new small groups entered it, seemingly endlessly. Families stood together, chatting and laughing while sipping on their champagne, wine, or punch. Smaller children choked at the amount of smoke that belched out of the cigarettes of the guests.

 

Greetings and kisses on cheeks were being exchanged, everyone was having fun, and no one spared a thought on the actual purpose of this event, the birthday child. Mihyun wrinkled her nose at the sight of the hall. Just as she imagined the fete to be. Fancy and superficial.

 

A voice behind her made her flinch a bit. “Mihyun, go out and greet the royal family. It was extremely hard to have them attend.” Her father said authoritarian. The girl sighed, but did as she was told.

 

She had no other choice anyway, did she?

 

Mihyun half stumbled, half walked th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter