Back

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A piercing pain shot through Mihyun's head and her eyelids fluttered open, albeit she couldn’t see anything because her view was so blurry. She automatically held her head and blinked a few times. Unfamiliar voices made her sharpen her senses. “ …going as planned.” She heard a raspy voice say.

 

Squinting her eyes, she could see a figure standing about one meter next to her. She tapped the ground she was lying on. Rough wood. Risking a glance, she arched her neck and realized that she was laying on a wagon, together with a few other people, who were unconscious.

 

Mihyun pricked up her ears as the raspy voice spoke again. “We're going to attack every single public place, and capture everyone.” She suddenly realised that it had to be revolutionists who had captured her, who were planning on taking over the capital. “But there are also normal people.” Another voice, a softer one, said. The former replied angrily, “So what? Even the normal people in the capital lead a better life than we do. I won't show any mercy.”

 

When she noticed that the person turned around, probably to look at the captured, Mihyun immediately closed her eyes, feigning unconsciousness. She could hear the person hiss and she opened her one eye irreducibly to peek at the unfamiliar figure. As she noticed that he had turned away again, Mihyun grabbed the edge of the wagon.

 

She had to flee. That was her only thought. With a jolt, she rolled herself to the side, pulling herself to the edge of the wagon with her one hand. As she laid on the edge, unnoticed by the revolutionists, she jumped off.

 

Mihyun could feel the high grass brush her skin, cutting it slightly, but she could not care less at the moment. She instinctively rolled to protect herself and got up in an instant. Without any thoughts, she started to run. Too afraid to look back and too occupied with her thoughts, she ran through the forest she found herself into.

 

Luckily, the revolutionists hadn't been very deep in the woods and she found her way out after a few minutes. She couldn’t be too far away from the city then, right? Mihyun tried to calm herself down. Even if she was lost, at least she had been able to flee from the revolutionists. Who knew where they'd bring the captives. But the thing she was most worried about was what she had heard. They planned to attack all the public places. So the circus was included. And they wouldn’t even spare the normal people, so the artists from the circus would get captured as well?

 

Another piercing pain that shot through her head snapped her out of her thoughts. She touched her head again, her eyes widening. It felt like a laceration on the back of her head. She looked at her hand that was covered with blood. A heavy sigh leaving her lips, she drove herself on. Injured or not, she had to get back to the city. No matter how much her head hurt, she had to get back as soon as possible to warn the artists. And between dying in no-man's-land and the circus, she'd choose the latter everyday.

 

Mihyun ran desperately, her legs were close to giving in after running consecutively for half an hour. Her surroundings slowly started to change. It wasn’t some deserted field anymore. She could actually spot some houses, albeit still no people were in sight.

 

was burning – she needed to drink something. Her head was spinning simultaneously as it was hurting. She couldn’t see clearly from the dizziness, which was caused by the lack of liquid. But still, step for step, she urged forward. When her eyes finally spott

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter