Bittersweet

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The birthday fete ended and the next day most of the guests – mostly adolescents – only had a vague image of what the fete was like. It was fancy, yes, but because of all the alcohol it felt like the fete was more of a dream. Surreal. The kiss between the crown princess and Luhan was drowned amidst all the other kisses, shared by the guests. That night kisses had been thrown, literally. Everyone danced with everyone. Eventually, it was a wonderful night. Even for the birthday child.

 

Mihyun had a wonderful night, in contrary to her expectations. Not because of the fanciness, the alcohol or the dance, but because of the kisses. The sweet and brief kisses she shared with Luhan. To her it felt surreal as well. It didn’t get awkward between her and Luhan, luckily. Maybe because both of them thought of the kisses as something that didn’t really happen. Too good, too sweet to be true.

 

It had been two weeks since the fete, and she only got to see Luhan twice, at the weekends. They treated each other like always. Nothing changed. And Mihyun wasn’t sure about whether to be happy about that or not.

 

Was it really love that she felt for him? Or was it only a bit more than a crush? She wasn’t sure, but she knew that even if it was love, it would lead nowhere. The possibility of getting together was so small that Mihyun didn’t even want to think about it. But she would never stay away from him. Never. Even if the world was going to perish because of her feelings, she wouldn’t lock them away. Too precious did they feel. Too much did they help her.

 

She knew that over the past month she opened up her heart more than ever in her whole eighteen years. There was something about Luhan that had caught her attention, and there was something about Luhan that had warmed up her heart. And she wanted it to stay this way.

 

Visiting him in the circus was her life. It was those few hours of being together with him that made her boring life much better. It was those moments when she'd tell him about irrelevant things from her life, yet it would feel so soothing. When Luhan asked her something, when he lightly, when he laughed in her presence, that made her feel better.

 

The most precious person in her life right now. Her friend. She smiled at the thought.

 

 

 

 

Mihyun visited the circus again, heading to the changing rooms immediately. She opened the door and peeked into the room with a small smile on her lips. As she was about to say something, she spotted Luhan sitting on a chair, back-facing her, and bit back her words.

 

She tiptoed forward, smiling to herself, and stopped when she reached his chair in a crouching position. “Luhan!” she called out, putting her hands on his shoulder quickly. For a second the said one got startled before he turned around, smiling at her.

 

“Hey.”

 

Mihyun frowned. His smile looked a bit off...? Because she couldn’t pinpoint it, she decided to stay quiet. They started talking while Luhan's hair was getting done. Talking about this and that. It was so irrelevant, yet it was fun.

 

As Mihyun noticed that he wore a prince costume again, she asked him what musical they'd play.

 

“Sleeping Beauty.” He answered, taking his coat and standing up.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter