Birthday Fete III.

Heart of Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mihyun stumbled into the crowd, immediately regretting that she actually went to the middle of the hall. I should have stayed somewhere at the edge and avoid all the guests, she thought, wrinkling her nose as she inhaled the strong perfume smell all women emitted.

 

When another whiff of extreme vanilla perfume hit Mihyun, dizziness took her over for a second, and she lightly bumped into someone's back. Mihyun flicked her tongue when the person turned around. It was the boy who had approached her earlier, before she had spotted Xinghan.

 

The boy smiled satisfied. He used that chance and took her hand. Just then the music started again, and the boy led her to the part of the hall that had been prepared for the guests to dance on.

 

Classic music flooded the hall, violins, a harp and a piano were playing a wonderful and soothing melody, until the piano decided to make it livelier. The unknown boy let go of Mihyun's hand and bowed.

 

“Can I ask for a dance?” He asked, and all the females next to them, young or old, swooned over his charm, every single one besides Mihyun. “I'm sorry. I don't dance.” She simply said, stepping away from the dance part of the hall.

 

The boy immediately followed her, still smiling, but Mihyun could swear that she had seen something twitch in his eye when she declined.

 

“Aren't you curious why I, Park Joohun, am following you?” He asked her, sounding very, very confident. Mihyun stayed silent. Park Joohun, that name rang a small bell. She recalled that he was the son of a very high count, but he wasn’t highly respected because of that title, but because he owned the biggest law office in the whole land of Korea.

 

But highly respected in society didn’t mean highly respected in Mihyun's mind. The lass shook her head lightly and turned around, ready to go back to the balcony, but that Joohun held her back.

 

“I've heard that the mademoiselle was very smart.” Mihyun's ears twitched at the foreign word – she always had a thing for foreign languages. And Joohun seemed to have noticed it.

 

“It's a pleasure to speak with you. Je suis très heureux parce que je peux parler avec vous, mademoiselle.” He said, changing into French. Joohun had studied abroad in France. Europe was a very popular place to study abroad.

 

“You speak French?” Mihyun asked curiously. The boy did it, now he had her full attention because it wasn’t everyday that you get to hear a foreign, especially an European language.

 

“Oui, mademoiselle.” The lass nodded, fascinated by the sound of the language. It sounded so soft, just like a melody.

 

“Does mademoiselle speak French too?” Mihyun shook her head, “No, but English and bits of German.” The tiny bits of German only developed because her father often had business trips to Germany.

 

“Do you want to learn some French words?” He asked, trying to smile charmingly, but Mihyun's attention already shifted to something else. To the princess. To be exact, to the princess and Luhan.

 

Her eyes widened at the sight. Luhan was standing next to the Hayeon, the crown princess, and it looked like they were having a comfortable talk. The way the princess leaned over to him and whispered things next to Luhan's made Mihyun gulp – she didn’t like it, at all.

 

And with that her conversation with Park Joohun was over, at least for Mihyun. The lass immediately walked to Hayeon. She tried hard to hide how annoyed she was at the sight of the princess grabbing Luhan's arm. The crown princess frowned at Mihyun's sudden appearance. Especially since the aura the heiress emitted wasn’t a friendly one.

 

“Um, may I ask what one of the artists is doing here?” She asked Hayeon, trying to sound as indifferent as possible.

 

“Oh, I like this artist. He's cute, like a pet.” The crown princess chuckled. “And he's surprisingly smart. I didn’t think I could hold such a long conversation with artists, considering that most of them didn’t go to school.” Hayeon said, as if this was the most surprising discovery of the century. Mihyun wrinkled her nose impalpably.

 

The tone of the princess annoyed her. The fact that she was so surprised about something like this, about the fact that Luhan could hold a proper conversation. Mihyun noticed that Luhan had stiffened a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter