Chapter 36 – New paths

TOP SPEED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 36 – New paths

 

It was in this cold evening when they got together like the old days. They reminisced the times when they were younger than they are right now. They could still remember how they looked up on those considered ‘kings’ during ‘their’ time, and how they started dreaming of beating them. They didn’t have the chance though because almost a year after they started underground racing, the ‘kings’ whom they looked up to decided to stop and make a turn in their life to try a new road for them to drive.

 

The news of those sunbaes fired up these five guys once again, after going back to zero from losing a big challenge. This is finally, the opportunity to prove, not only to their seniors, but also to themselves on how much they’ve grown up and improved since they started. They were no longer rookies, but are now considered as challengers.

 

“Doesn’t it sound great if we had a close fight with them? It doesn’t matter if we lose as long as we give our best not to make things easy for them.” Jonghyun excitedly explained his feelings upon mentioning the plans of their group to have a race against the ‘kings’.

 

The five of them continued to talk about it, but one of them is actually just silent throughout the discussion. It’s not that he doesn’t feel excited about it. He’d be lying if he said he didn’t. But there is something that bothers him more.

 

He missed his so-called brothers a lot. These past few months of absence in the underground racing world, he was busy studying a lot about his family’s company. The pressure is on him especially with his father’s health, he was so stressed and worried. At one point in his stay overseas, away from his luxurious, easy-go-lucky life, he realized that he had to grow up. He had to accept the responsibilities and his obligations as a son. He might be seen by others as an irresponsible, arrogant, self-centered and inconsiderate guy, but for his friends, they wouldn’t let him be their leader for nothing.

 

The eldest of them finally voiced out his concern about the sudden silence of their friend and asked him, “Something wrong, Minho? It seems like your body’s here, but not your brain.”

 

Minho then came out of his trance to look at the faces of his friends. He stared at them shortly before smiling. This certain moment is something that he doesn’t want to forget. He wants to remember everything.

 

“I… have something to tell you guys.” He started. “You guys knew that I just came back from Japan yesterday, once again since my father wanted me to be there this Christmas. My father’s condition isn’t something unknown to you guys, and we had a serious talk last two days. Honestly, the reason why I flew back here is to… say goodbye.” He finally confessed.

 

“WHAT?!” They all blurted out in shock.

 

“W-What do you mean goodbye?” Jonghyun asked as he couldn’t believe what his ears just heard. He wanted to make sure that he heard it right.

 

“I’m afraid that I will no longer be able to race with you guys. I’m sorry.”

 

“Bwoh? So you’re telling us that you’re leaving the group?” Jonghyun stood up to walk towards Minho. “YOU’RE GOING TO LEAVE US JUST LIKE THAT?!” He snapped, grabbing the younger guy’s collar and pulled him up from his seat.

 

“Jjong, relax.” Onew said as he grabbed the enraged guy’s arm.

 

“I have… no choice hyung.” Minho said as he looked down to avoid the piercing eyes of the older guy.

 

“Tell me you’re just kidding Minho, huh. Tell me. We still have to race against Big Bang. You still have to go one-on-one against GD. C’mon, tell hyung this is just some joke.”

 

Key finally stepped in to remove Jonghyun’s hands away from Minho’s collar. “C’mon Jjong, we could talk this out. You’re choking Minho.” He pleaded.

 

As Jonghyun finally let go of Minho’s collar, the latter continued his statement. “As much as I want to go back to where we were before, I just couldn’t.”

 

“Is this because of AJ?” Jonghyun asked him.

 

“No… Honestly no. It’s not his fault.”

 

“Then what? Is it Soojung? She’s the reason why you went to Japan for the first time right?”

 

“NO! She doesn’t have anything to do with this.”

 

“THEN WHY?!”

 

“I already said it. My father… you guys know that he’s having problems with his health. For so long, I tried to evade my responsibilities as his son. When he discovered about me racing underground in the streets of Seoul, he became worried as well as my mother, but he didn’t took this happiness away from me. He gave me everything I needed and wanted. And now, he’s the one who needs me. I have to get out of this world and be a man… man enough to take the responsibility of continuing the company that he and his father worked hard for all their lives. I have an obligation to him and to the employees of the company, who worked hard just for me to have these luxurious cars.

 

“We have to accept the fact that, like Big Bang hyungs, we couldn’t stay in this forever. We have to go out of this underground racing and face life as we are supposed to be. We are no longer boys.”

 

Minho reasoned out, but instead, he earned a rather hard hit on his left cheek from Jonghyun’s fist.

 

“Jonghyun!” Onew and Key yelled as they held back his body, while Taemin helped Minho to get up.

 

“So you’re telling us that you’re a man now, and that we’re just kids? Who are you?! YOU ARE NOT MINHO!”

 

“BECAUSE I AM NO LONGER ‘THAT’ MINHO. I HAVE TO BE ‘CHOI’ MINHO.” He yelled back to defend himself. “It’s not that I’m telling you guys that you’re kids and that I’m a man now. I still have a long way to go. WE still have a long way to go. But right now, life already wanted me be one. Besides Taemin, we are already in our twenties. You know that.”

 

“Then FINE! You are no longer part of this group. Get out of here!”

 

With that, Minho walked out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter