Chapter 19 – Because I love you

TOP SPEED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Soojung’s POV

 

Right after Minho left, I tiredly plopped down my body on the bed. We’re over. A part of me is sad but why is there a part of that is happy?

 

“Just a favor Soojung… You can love whoever you want… but please… not AJ.”

 

Not AJ…

 

In his eyes… does he think I’m starting like AJ?

 

I was about to close my eyes when I remembered my phone. I raided my bag to look for it and after some time, I was finally able to find it. I opened it and saw a message from AJ.

 

He doesn’t know it’s my birthday today right?

 

I looked at the time and it’s already 10pm. Two more hours and this day is finally over. I don’t know why I’m hoping that somehow, he will know that it’s my birthday and will at least greet me.

 

A(nnoying)J: Hey, I’m in front of the convenience store near your house. If you’re still awake, could you please come out for a while?

 

AJ? He’s outside? I looked at the time it was sent… 9:38PM. Is he still outside?

 

I ran immediately outside but saw nothing… not even a shadow of AJ. Is he playing a prank on me?

 

Then it suddenly hit me.

 

Did he saw Minho and me earlier? No way… Please tell me he didn’t see us.

 

My feet walked towards the convenience store on their own. I bought a cup of coffee and sat down on one of the seats inside.

 

Why am I waiting for him? Why am I expecting him to come back? I feel guilty that I hurt Minho… and now, I’m even guiltier that I even hurt AJ.

 

Amber’s POV

 

I am mad.

 

I am mad, not at Soojung or Minho. I am mad of myself. I am so stupid. I am nothing but a jerk. I don’t deserve her.

 

I drove as fast as my car could, mindlessly overtaking cars, trucks, and buses. I drove fast until my foot suddenly stepped on the brakes.

 

I looked around and saw myself in front of the street where I first saw Soojung.

 

How I wish that day never came.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was about to drive away from that spot when a black 1970 Dodge Challenger stopped beside my car.

 

 

The window of the driver’s seat lowered down and I was surprised when I saw who the driver was.

 

“Hey, didn’t expect to see you here AJ… or should I say… Amber?”

 

I stared at her trying to remember her name.

 

“Aish this kid. Yuri… Kwon Yuri.”

 

“Oh… The girl with Jessica Jung the other day?”

 

“Yes! HAHAHA”

 

What’s wrong with this girl? Why is she alone tonight? And this is not her territory.

 

“What do you want? What are you doing here?”

 

“Oh, isn’t it obvious? I’m actually looking for you kid.”

 

“Looking for me?”

 

“Yes. You’re the famous AJ of Ember HD and I, Kwon Yuri, would like to challenge you right here, right now.”

 

“A challenge?” I smirked to myself. It sounds fun. Since I needed something to release my anger, I think racing with her will be good.

 

“Drag race challenge.”

 

“Fine with that.”

 

“Follow me then.”

 

She drove to a highway and stopped on the start of the straight part of the road.

 

“You know this road right? It’s around 5 km. long. The thing I love this road is that there isn’t any intersection along the five-kilometer stretch. The end of the road is a small park.”

 

“Yeah, I know. So what’s the bet?”

 

“Bet? Meh… I just wanna have fun tonight and test your skills. The loser will buy drinks.”

 

“Heh… You’re weird you know.”

 

“Just wanna have some fun tonight. So what, are you ready or not?”

 

“Fine. Let’s bring it on!”

 

After placing my car beside hers, we waited for the traffic light to turn to green. That’s our go signal.

 

End of Amber’s POV

 

 

Amber’s blue GTR against a muscle type, black Dodge Challenger.

 

A newbie in racing will think that the fact that it’s a tuner versus a muscle car, this game favors the latter.

 

But Amber won’t be famous if she doesn’t have the skills right?

 

In the middle of the dark night, with only the streetlights, the moon and stars, it made Yuri’s car almost invisible. The only thing that makes it visible is the refraction of light on the body’s paint.

 

The two drivers prepared. Both agreed to start on neutral.

 

Knowing that the light is about to start, the two drivers start to step on the clutch. Their right foot is still on the brakes. Their right hand is already holding the gear stick, ready to push it on gear 1.

 

It’s like there’s a countdown timer on their head.

 

10

 

9

 

8

 

7

 

The two of them tried to breathe in deeply to calm their heartbeats.

 

6

 

5

 

4

 

3

 

They looked at each other before…

 

2

 

1

 

Almost at the same time as the green light lit up, their gears are already in gear 1, both right feet are stepping on the gas.

 

20 kph

 

 

 

 

 

40 kph

 

 

 

60 kph

 

 

 

80

 

 

 

100

 

 

The transition of the gears from the first one to the next is so fast.

 

Amber’s leading.

 

Both reached the 6th gear.

 

It’s all up to their engines as to who has the greater top speed.

 

140 kph

 

 

180…

 

If there’s a person who’s standing right now on the side street, for sure that person wouldn’t be able to see the cars dashing like a speed of light if he would blink.

 

2 km more ‘til they reach the finish line.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 km more.

 

Yuri stepped on the gas further more, causing her to lead.

 

800 meters more.

 

 

It is already down to ~600 m when Amber pushed the nitrous boost button on her steering wheel causing her to overtake Yuri’s Dodge Challenger.

 

It’s too late for Yuri to react for she didn’t expect that Amber would be using the nitrous boost. Or better be safe to say, she didn’t know that Amber has a nitrous boost equipped tonight.

 

In just a split second, Amber won against Yuri.

 

As soon as the two cars stopped, Amber went out of the car and waited for the older girl to get out of hers too.

 

To Amber’s surprise, she saw a smiling Yuri, who, after getting out of the car, fell into her kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter