The Hideous Past

The Forgotten Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After school, I headed straight back home. I knew he was getting suspicious from the look of his face during lunch. I could only blame myself for being such a lousy actress and I just couldn't bring myself to tell him lies after lies. Neither could Yuri I guessed. Her acting was so poor just now. It was as though she was practically screaming out to them that I'm lying. Nonetheless, I didn't blame her. She did it purely out of concern. Still, I chose to lie through my nose, telling him that I wasn't feeling well. I really wanted to give him my support this noon, but now, I wish nothing more than to just get home and attain some inner peace.

 

I was glad and relieved that no one was at home. I headed for the refrigerator, taking out the carton of milk and gulped it down at one go, hoping that it would fill my empty stomach. I didn't have much appetite during lunch after having the short conversation with Jiyong. I looked up from my plate of food from time to time, only to find him staring blankly with a frown, not touching his food at all. This deepened my guilt. It was as if we're playing a game of hide-and-seek. He is the seeker and me, the hider. And right now, he is still in the middle of searching for me, his eyes full of worries and anxiety...

 

I shook my head, trying to erase his worried images from my mind. I decided that a hot bath would be the best idea to calm myself now. I went to the bathroom, closing and double-locking the door behind me. I scrutinized the bathroom to check if there was any hidden cameras or any sort of recording devices and fortunately found none. It was only then could I let my guards down. Surprising isn't it? People always claim that your own house is the safest place of all. But to me, it's just the exact opposite. Everywhere is safe for me. All except my own house. I sighed as I finally undressed myself and stepped into the shower.

 

He did it again...

 

He came to our house when I was seven, claiming that he was Mum's friend. Even though that was the first time Mum brought someone home, I didn't outcast him. Kids are always innocent. They have the mentality that all adults are nice if they treat them with candies or shower them with gifts. Same goes for me. When he first came by, he seemed like a harmless guy, constantly buying me toys or candies. Most importantly, his appearance had caused the dark clouds that were hovering over Mum's head over a long period of time to dissipate. Mum was smiling more and thus, causing me to be more certain that he is a good guy. I called him the 'kind ajussi'.

 

All was good until he began to visit more frequently. From the occasional visit of once every fortnight, to a visit of twice per week and then, a daily visit. I didn't sense anything amiss, and was instead couldn't be happier. Him visiting meant candies and treats. Until one night...

 

I remembered that it was a stormy night. The rain was pouring outside and Mum tucked me into bed earlier than usual. I obliged and fell asleep but soon was awoke by a loud clap of thunder. I was frightened and wanted to head over to Mum's room to sleep beside her. I tiptoed to her room and opened the door quietly. To my surprise, I found her sleeping soundly in a man's arm and that man was none other than the 'kind ajussi'. She was , only wrapping her body with the duvet. I thought of nothing else but to cover my eyes with my hands as I gasped. That's what all kids at my age would do when they see something embarrassing. Suddenly, I felt a strong grip on my small hand and I wanted to scream but my mouth was covered. I opened my eyes slowly and timidly. The 'kind ajussi' was now in front of me, smiling warmly at me as he put a finger on his lips, motioning me to be quiet. I nodded nervously. He then brought me out of the room and into the living room. I followed obediently. Come to think of it, he wasn't wearing any clothes that night too.

 

"Ajussi, why is Umma not wearing any clothes?" I asked him with my pair of large doe eyes.

 

"Ahhh. You're such a curious little girl aren't you? Do you really want to know?" He let out a grating laugh.

 

I nodded innocently.

 

"Let ajussi show you then."He picked up his smartphone from the table and began to tap it furiously. "Here." He scooped me up with one arm and placed me on his lap as he tapped the start button.

 

Just like that, I watched my first ographic video. At the mere age of seven. I didn't remember that I enjoyed watching it. I was closing my eyes half of the time due to embarrassment, hearing only the sounds of s and groanings. Oh, and his sick laughters. In fact, I was quite disturbed by it that it left me consecutive days of nightmares. I didn't tell this to Mum because he made me promised that I wouldn't let out this secret. He stated that it was our little secret. If I were to tell Mum about this, I would never receive treats from him and I would be beaten up by Mum. I agreed to it immediately. Anything for not getting beaten by Mum. Since then, I viewed him in a different manner.

 

Within three months, he moved into our house and another month, Mum married to him, leading him to become my official stepdad. All his bad habits started surfacing. A smoker, a drinker, a gambler. Everything that I detest was found in him.

 

He worked at night, so when Mum was out working in the day, I would be left alone with him in the house. I had insisted Mum to send me back to the nanny during noon, but he claimed that he was capable of taking care of me and p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter