True Identity

The Forgotten Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I had benefited from lots of things since I returned to Korea. I got to know more about Yoona's life, meeting the best friend that she always tells me about and finally getting to see her mum.

 

We arrived at the hospital and were right outside the ward. I could feel her hand trembling in mine, the anxiety that was contained within her. I rubbed her shoulders and gave her a smile. She returned it with a grin and with a deep intake of breath, she opened the door and stepped inside.

 

"U-Umma..." Her face was contorted in horror by what she saw.

 

In the bed, laid her mum. She was thin and haggard. It appeared that every breath she took in, caused her immense pain. Yoona broke down as she held her mum's hand.

 

"Why... Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

 

"A-Ah... It's you..." Her mum opened her eyes forcefully and gave a faltered smile. "I-It's nothing much... J-Just some really bad flu... They're overreacting..." She tried to sit up by herself but failed miserably. Now I know where Yoona gets her stubborn attitude from.

 

"Bad flu? Umma, tried harder." Yoona pouted and helped her to sit up.

 

"What brings you back here?"

 

"The hospital calls me. Umma, this is such a grave matter. Why didn't you tell me over the phone the other time?"

 

"I already told you it's nothing~ They're just overreacting." Her mum coughed violently after she finished her sentence, causing us to be in panic and wanted to call the doctor in immediately. "It's nothing. Th-This's very normal..." She caught hold of Yoona's wrist. "Now, tell me, who's this young man here?"

 

She was refering to me. "Oh, this is my boyfriend... Kang Daesung. I met him in America." Yoona pulled me closer to her mum.

 

Her mum's expression turned darker as she scrutinised me from head to toe. I felt like a prey, being watched by its predator, nervous and helpless. After what it seemed like eternity, her expression finally smoothened out as she gave a weak grin. "She's such a bother isn't it?"

 

"Umma!"

 

"H-Ha! Yeahs, sometimes~" I stifled a laugh and let out an exaggerated sigh, earning a hit from Yoona. "And violent too."

 

"Ha! I like this young man. So truthful and daring." For the first time since we stepped into the ward, her mum gave a hearty laugh. "I trust that you would take good care of her." Her eyes narrowed at me again.

 

"I-I will..." I stuttered instinctively.

 

"Umma, you're gonna scare him~" Yoona teased.

 

"Well, if he couldn't even withstand this, I suggest that you should just dump him." She replied crudely, causing both of us to replied with a chuckle.

 

At the look of it, it didn't seem like Yoona and her mum had a strained relationship. Perhaps, as time passes, Yoona had grown. It wasn't worthwhile to fight with her mum and whatsmore, she's critically ill now. I could tell that Yoona was trying so hard to suppress her tears while her mum was acting cool throughout the entire conversation. They were both stubborn ladies and I could totally imagine what it would be like if they were to quarrel.

 

******

 

"So doctor, how is my mum's condition?" Her mum had once again fallen asleep and Yoona decided to consult the doctor about her condition.

 

"Well, I hate to admit it, but Madam Lee has only about 2 weeks more to live.. Or at the very most, a month..." The doctor gave a sympathetic sigh. "It's amazing how long she had been eduring this pain already. Normally, for patients who are facing the last stage of lung cancer, they usually lose the will to battle on. It's a harsh and intense battle, but your mum persevered on. She must have wanted to wait for your return..." He added. "You should spend more time with her."

 

Yoona bit her lips hard, trying to stop the tears from falling. I held her hand tightly, giving it a light squeeze and gave her a smile. Everything would be fine. I would be with her. Through thin and thick.

 

She looked at me and I nodded. She gave me a courageous and determined smile before she turned back to look at the doctor. "I will. Thank you so much doctor. I'll ensure that she spends the remaining time in bliss and happiness."

 

******

 

"You have something on?" Yoona asked as she caught me looking at my watch for the nth time.

 

"Not really... Actually, yes. It has been awhile since I last came back to Seoul and there's someone I need to meet..." I stuttered a little.

 

"Oh... Go along then. Don't be late for your appointment." She gave me a smile, to which I felt guilty at that instant. She gave me her utmost trust, why can't I just do the same too?

 

"Do you want me to send you back first?"

 

"Nahs~ I wanna stay here for a little while longer. I would take the public bus later."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter