Trick or Treat?

The Forgotten Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Gosh. When are they going to be early for a change?!" I groaned as I looked around the café and found that neither Jiyong Oppa nor Sooyeon was there.

 

"Is this the first time you know them? I bet Sooyeon is dragging him around the mall for some intense shopping sessions again." Youngbae chuckled as he wrapped his arms around my waist comfortably, guiding me to a table. "Patience is virtue~"

 

Indeed. Patience is virtue. I had been telling this to myself for the past five years. It had been five years. Five years since I last graduated from college, five years since I found my job in an accounting firm, and of course, five years since I last seen Yoona. My sister, my best friend. Even till now, I still couldn't exactly figure out how could I walk through this five years without her by my side. I guess I just lived my life blindly?

 

The moment we received a call from Jiyong Oppa telling us that he's returning to Korea alone, I knew something was amiss. When he really did return to Korea without Yoona with him, I was speechless. I didn't know how to respond, nor how to begin my questionings. All I got from him was that he had broken up with Yoona unwillingly. I wanted to probe him for more, but was stopped by Youngbae. He told me to save my saliva because I would get nothing out from him.

 

Hence, I ended up being absolutely clueless about my best friend's whereabouts. I tried calling her, only to receive thousands of voicemail requests and eventually, the service provider, telling me that this line had been terminated. I was at my worst moments and I hated Jiyong Oppa for that. Totally. I distanced myself away from him and my relationship with Youngbae was somehow strained too. I was determined to find out what had exactly happened to Yoona.

 

My search was futile until Yoona's mum returned. She returned to Korea a few months after Jiyong Oppa and I went ahead to look for her immediately. She would definitely know where Yoona was. She seemed to have expected my visit as she gave me a calm expression, inviting me into her house and sat me down.

 

"Au-Auntie..." There was something about her that caused me to fear for what was going to happen next.

 

"Don't worry. She's still in America. She's fine and living well..." It was as though she could read what was on my mind and answered them perfectly.

 

"B-But, I couldn't contact her..."

 

"She changed her contact number. She hadn't forget about you, if that's what you're worried about." She replied. Much to my relief. "But..." It was the latter that caused my heart to cringe. "It's best that you girls don't contact now..."

 

"W-Why..." I was shocked. Mortified in fact.

 

"Didn't Jiyong tell you guys that they had broken up?"

 

"Y-Yes... But that doesn't mean I have to cut off all ties with Yoona right? We're best friends way before she and Jiyong Oppa get together."

 

"Oh.. I don't know about that Yul... I'm so sorry. But, really, believe me. Someday, you'll know the reason behind it. It's not something that Yoona or Jiyong can control, nor something that can be explained and be understood right now.  Just trust me. It's best for both you and Yoona this way. At least for now." She held my hands and looked into my eyes deeply.

 

I was in sheer panic. I had never seen before her acting like that. She was... pleading me... That's something that she wouldn't and hadn't done before. I didn't know how to response and so, I ended up nodding my head in tears, agreeing to her pleas.

 

She gave me a final sentence before I left.  I closed the door behind me, tears raining down, but a smile spreaded across my face.

 

"If that's of any comfort to you, she's missing you as much as you're missing her..."

 

I always tell myself that as long as I'm patient enough, I would definitely get to see Yoona again. Someday. No matter how long it's going to be, I would wait.

 

That was the last time I had seen Yoona's mum. I didn't look for her anymore and the hatred for Jiyong Oppa was minimized and eventually disappearing into thin air after having the talk with her. However, the anger was sparked off once again when he told me that he's going to date a girl. Jung Sooyeon, if you have heard before. 

 

"Yul, I have something to tell you..." Jiyong Oppa looked at Youngbae and then darted his eyes back towards me.

 

"Oh gosh. What's wrong with the both of you!" I burst into laughters at their solemn expression. "It's not as though you're going to get married tomorrow right?" I asked jokingly.

 

Silence was being met and I realised that their expressions had became darker. My heart twisted in fear.

 

"Y-You really are getting married?" My voice trembled.

 

"Of course not!" He clarified immediately. "But... I'm dating a girl..." He continued the sentence softly.

 

"Oh, you're dating a girl..." I nodded and took a sip of my water. Then, it dawned on me. "You... WHAT?"

 

"I'm dating a girl. Appa set me up on another blind date and I...."

 

"How COULD you?!!" I cut off his sentence and shouted, alerting everyone else in the café. "Your promise towards Yoona is all invalid now?!!" I felt betrayed.

 

"Yul! Calm down!" Youngbae was the first one to stop me from shouting. He grabbed hold of my shoulders and sat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter