Tik Tok

The Professional Mourners & Cuddle Buddy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

"Serious talk about me and her? What do you mean by saying that, dad?" The question came out spontaneously from my mouth. The thing I ate felt halfway stuck in my stomach. "I’m sorry, but I don’t know why we should talk about me and her right now." I tried to debate, hoping this topic about me and her could be dismissed this instant.

 

"Jessica, just listen first what Daddy wants to say. You can interrupt later once Daddy finish. I have things to say to your friend in here, which I thought very important." My father announced in his seriousness, making me worried enormously.

 

Taengoo stared at me with her best reassuring smile. I don't know why I feel so nervous even after seeing her smile that always can do wonder to me. Truthfully, I feel like I wanted to die from having a cold sweat. An unforeseen conversation like this is what I afraid the most. I hate for the fact I haven’t got the chance to speak with Taengoo alone to discuss about what she told my parents last time. I wish to be prepared mentally for this. What if we mess up everything tonight?

 

"Taengoo, I’m very aware about yourself and your family. We have talked about this a few days ago as well, so I don’t want to touch more on that topic again. I just want to say that I appreciate very much your help to take care of my daughter when she was sick and when she needed someone to guide her. I don't have any problem at all to let you stay with Jessica again in the future. But let us just be clear here... should I be worried about the two of you?"

 

"No, Sir!"

 

"Taengoo!" I called her name firmly as I don't get my father's question and her answer. She didn't look at me this time around. She just stared at my father and looked so normal, so calm, and so confident. What the hell with being calm? I know that look from my father. He was trying to intimidate Taengoo. And I dislike it when he did that. She should not be treated like this by him. "Worried about what, dad?" I have to in as I need my dad to be specific so all of us could understand his question better.

 

At a time like this, I was dying to hear things playing on Taengoo’s mind like how I usually did during the time when I have been hospitalized. Because I was annoyed with this topic and Taengoo was very far from me, I decided to change my seat next to her very quickly. I really want to hear how she felt while receiving any further question from my father. I don’t care if I make them surprise to change my seat so suddenly like that. I’m ever ready to drag Taengoo out of the house if they ever make her down or blame her alone.

 

I know I made a mistake when I chose and decided to be with Donghae last time. And I’m also aware to love Taengoo is also very wrong. But love is love. The more they try to stop me, the more I feel like I should fight for it. Just because I failed last time, it doesn’t mean it will be repeated again this time. I know I was insane for putting too much hope like things between me and Taengoo will work differently when I still don’t know more about herself. Somehow, I have a faith that she will be the final one. The one that I hope will go through thick and thin with me.

 

"Do you really like my daughter?" My father asked Taengoo straightforwardly this time. Totally ignoring my question to him.

 

"Yes, Sir!"

 

I begin to blink my eyes a couple of times, exchanging glances with Krystal and my mother. My mom just behaves like normal, whereas Krystal gave me her cartoonish eyes that has a power to bully me in this state. I knew Taengoo likes me from what I overheard from herself before. It didn't surprise me with her declaration. I only upset because we have no time to discuss further things between us, but it already escalated quickly to this stage when my father asked her something that I hope I could have a chance to talk with her personally. I clearly told her that I want to be her friend. We can’t just skip the getting to know each other stage. I don't even know much about her. I want to have a proper date before it goes like this. Maybe this is also part of the reason why I felt nervous when she accepted a dinner invitation by my parents. I can’t be wrong about the strange feeling I have these past a few days.

 

"Taengoo!" I called her again as I want her to be quiet and not giving her answer so hastily. She didn’t look at me, but I was so thankful when I heard what she has been saying on her mind after that.

 

‘Ottoke, she will kill me if she knew I agree with her family hidden prank cam idea that had been arranged by her sister. If only Krystal didn’t get my cellphone earlier… maybe I could warn her about this. This mission is so dangerous and complicated. How can I give her a signal when I can’t even turn my face right now? Her sister has strongly held my hand under the table, giving me a sign that I should not look at her anymore. Krystal really had no idea what she brought us into. Why don’t I have a teleport power too? I want to disappear from this place quickly because I can’t find an escape route right now. Either way, I know the option will still kill me.’

 

You know what??

 

If only I can scream right now, I will do that. I want to scream right in front of Krystal’s face for playing too far with me. Just for the sake she wanted to prove I like Taengoo, she did this? No wonder my evil sister took her from the lobby, held her cellphone, and even wanted to bring Taengoo to her room. I was boiling up with annoyance to know about it, hoping this horrific acting will end pretty soon. For a second, I felt thankful with the gift that I had. Maybe I should play them too for trying to fool me right now. Or maybe I should just ignore them? I have no idea my dad was so cool to join them pranking me like this? One thing for certain that amaze me, I can’t believe my mom also has become one of their alliance, although she was very quiet.

 

"Thank you for being honest with us." My father continued, giving me a chance to breathe like normal. "Jessica is my first daughter. Because she was born five years earlier than Krystal, me and my wife treasure her very dearly like a piece of gem in our life. We love them equally after we have Krystal. She thought that we don't know anything about her. But we knew them. As her father, I was disappointed with myself when I can’t protect her as I should. I agreed when you told me the other day that life has many ways of testing a person. I’ve seen that in my own child. Jessica got so much to carry on her shoulder, yet never once she wanted to share it with us. Sometimes, I was scared to leave her alone in Seoul. My biggest fear is always what if I can’t see her again?"

 

"Dad…" I called him quietly. His statements suddenly make me want to tear up. Why he needs to say all of this in front of our guest? He should talk to me alone or just among us. I don’t want to cry in front of them… and not also when Taengoo was around.

 

"It’s not easy to raise a grown up woman like you, Jessica." My father announced faintly while staring at me. I could see clearly the sorrow in his eyes right now. I don’t know if he was so getting into a character or what. Because he almost makes me cry right now with his speech. "Just so you know, Daddy will not give up on you. Do you hear me now?"

 

I nodded objectively. I always hate every attempt of heart-to-heart conversation among my family members. I dislike to share my tears in front of them. As a first daughter, I always play the role as the toughest one so far. It becomes a habit of mine since Krystal was born. I thought I should become my sister's role model. Therefore, when something bad happened to me, I always quietly try to keep and stand them alone. Indeed, the suicide message that I sent them while I was drunk has shattered the strong image I portrayed so far.

 

"Good to know that. Daddy only wants your happiness more than anything else right now. I don't want you to get hurt by anyone."

 

"Okay, I get it, daddy. No one will hurt me again." I confirmed and tried to end the topic. I don't want them to think like Donghae still could control my life. "Could I get an excuse now? I'm already full with dinner."

 

"Please sit back!"

 

I was hoping to end the ugly side of this hidden prank cam in a nice way, but luck was not on my side. I have to stay put when my father asked me to sit down after he saw I tried to leave from the chair. I huffed quietly, trying to tolerate it a bit longer.

 

"Taengoo, right in front of my family, I want to ask you if you can accept my imperfect daughter to be someone important in your life?"

 

Here it goes, the real thing starts, I thought. Why am I imperfect? Was I?

 

"I will accept her because I'm not a perfect human as well, Sir!"

 

Taengoo's replied was so quick like she was so prepared with her answer. I will be asking my father to stop and I will think like they want to sell me to Taengoo if only I didn’t know they want to prank me right now. You have no idea even if this was only an acting, it still could embarrass me somehow.

 

"So will you truly accept my daughter if I granted your wish to live with her?"

 

"With all my heart, Sir!"

 

"Then, maybe you should consider migrating to the States with us and Jessica. I will arrange your marriage document with her if you agree to move in with us."

 

"With all due respect I thank you, Sir!"

 

From anger, sadness, and embarrassment, it almost brought me to a laughter. I felt entertained with all the answer I heard from Taengoo. She was so like in a military service when she answered my dad. And my father, he was like a General in Army by saying the thing that Taengoo must obey no matter what. I should be laughing hysterically right now, but I postpone it to teach my sister and Taengoo some lesson. I took my time to get into a character just like them, trying to create my own time bomb. I succeed without much problem when I remembered my cunning sister that try to give me a trouble right now. I could hear the ticking sound in my head. They tik, tok, tik, tok in my brain cells. I wait them to say something more before it gets exploded like a volcano for real just like what Krystal hopes it to happen, maybe?!

 

They were so quiet after Taengoo’s last answered. All eyes were set on me, except Taengoo who has her eyes looking nowhere other than my father. They look so anticipated to hear the thing I wanted to say. You have no idea that I so wanna strangle this little devil next to me who agreed to join this hidden prank cam idea that embarrass me and sadden me in some point. I made it look like I took the bait of this prank cam in unhealthy way when I stood up from my seat in very painfully slow. I might look like a demon undercover with the face I presented to each one of them. They better beware. I will not go easy with it, especially with Krystal and that little devil. They should not become an alliance and make a pact next time.

 

I look at Krystal with that kind of glare that enough to make her understand the meaning. I dare her to speak with me through my glare if she can. She got defeated directly in less than three seconds. I don't see any smile coming from her face anymore after that. She got lost when no one dare to help her right now. Obviously, I still become the center of attention or the hot topic in my elder' mind right now. I know they were ever anticipated to see or hear my reaction as well.

 

Well, I do too. Will I be kind? Maybe, no... I want to give them a nightmare, so none of them will ever treat me as a joke in the future.

 

"I don't know from where to start... but…" I begin my psychosis monologue in my calm tone, trying very much to absorb my HellSica mood. I feel the hot temperature in the area keep on rising for unknown reason. Maybe I was already into the character right now as I could feel like smoke is awaiting the perfect time to come out of my nose when I heard Krystal still hold that little devil's hand. "Let's wrap up the outcome of this conversation. Actually, I know none of this was real. I mean what daddy says about Taengoo and me. Krystal you are really too much you know. I love you since you are my only dear sister that I have, but please… I hope this is going to be the last you pull a stupid hidden prank cam on me. You have no idea to the thing you did because you are not the one who got to deal with it." I uttered bitterly.

 

Krystal looked at me for a bit and whined to Taengoo in her upset manner after that. "You told her? I can't believe you! I thought you were a cool person."

 

"Shut up, Krystal!" I surprised her and everyone with my high tone this time. I saw she released Taengoo’s hand that she held all this while after my roar. "How dare you speak to her like that? You still think what you arranged right now was cool? Really? This is cool? If I was you, I will shut my mouth." She looked at me and discontinued our eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter