Naengmyun

The Professional Mourners & Cuddle Buddy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

The sweet and light fragrance belongs to the person I know slowly linger to each corner of the private restroom. It kills the strong liquor odor that had been brought by the man who have just visited me. I tried not to inhale more even if I love to sniff it too much.

 

'Miss me?'

 

Her voice awhile ago echoed in my brain cells again for a couple of seconds. There is a sound of excitement from the way she asked me. I wish to return her the same type of question as well for that reason alone. Can't believe she was this early. I thought she will only visit me after six as what I overheard the conversation between her and my parents before she left us. Why did she come so fast? Isn't that a solid proof that she has been missing me and wanting to see me too?

 

I slowly pry open my eyes when her heavenly fragrance defeated me. I honestly have greed in myself. She makes me addicted and want to inhale again and again. She was really so evil to know how I miss her right now. Somehow, I try to act normal. I don't want to look so desperate like I needed her the most. A little I do wonder if she overheard the conversation I have with Donghae because it hasn't been long since my father took him out of the room.

 

Our eyes met for a brief second. She gave me that adorable smile that make me want to pinch her cheeks and kill myself if I ever did that for real. Why was she so cute? I want to slap her right now for making myself admiring her like this! Can’t you see how easy she makes me melting? Like butter getting heat in a frying pan, that’s me! I go weak for her smile. I can’t believe, no, I don't want to believe in what I've just said in my mind.

 

"What happen to your eyes, Taengoo?"

 

I didn't really try to divert her question intentionally. It's just... I happen to notice her eyes that were so puffy and swollen. She looked fine when she left us a few hours ago.

 

"Ah, this..." She blinked her eyes a few times. "I went to the funeral service. It's always like this. It will be okay within a few hours."

 

"Do you know that person?"

 

"No..."

 

I lost word for a second to her simple answer. Why did I even ask her the question that I know? Of course she has to do it as her job and took it seriously as what have been written on the website I found her. Anyway, it still gave me a shock to see her eyes. I have no idea how she could cry till her eyes became swollen like that for someone she doesn’t know personally.

 

"Then, how can you cry till your eyes become like this if you don’t know that person?" I can’t control myself from not asking again. She makes me worried to see her face.

 

She lowered herself near me and whisper the next a few words silently after awhile, "That’s a secret!"

 

Apparently, that’s not a secret. I heard the thing she said on her mind before she told me ‘that’s a secret’. So that’s how she’s channeling the pain she received from all the problem she heard by her patients? She stores it and let them go in one sad occasion like that? For a moment, I get sadden for her. What if she gets sick because of people like us?

 

"Have you checked your blood pressure? Your face looks very red, same to your eyes." I can't skip asking her that question because this little devil makes me worry for the obvious reason.

 

"That's because I'm very happy and excited to see you right now." She coolly stated, making me feel like I suddenly have wings and I want to fly as high as I can. Just how evil she was to make me feel this way. "I bought you grapes."

 

"As a substitute of wine?" The subject automatically changed when I asked her in a teasing manner which received a gentle chuckle from her. She can’t blame me alone. I still remembered the thing she said last night about the fruit.

 

She revealed the fruits basket from her back. The thing that she tried to hide at her back body when I first saw her. I don't only see grapes, but variety and very colorful fruits inside the basket all together. I saw apples, guava, lemon, grapefruits, kiwi, and avocado. Every best selection of fruits to cleanse my liver. I never doubt this little devil choice at all. She clearly knew what I need. It makes me wonder if she already knew about the MRI scan I did not long ago.

 

"Krystal said you don't have the appetite to eat yet. Maybe you can try with fruit diet. Slowly, you can change back when you have the appetite to eat something more."

 

Her suggestions make me want to smile widely. Did she contact my sister to check on me now? I bit my lip secretly, asking a co-operation from myself to stay in my best modesty. Like the thing she says is not affecting me at all. I wish she can ask me directly next time. She doesn’t need a middle person to ask me something.

 

"Thanks. I just want to rest right now." I told the thing I wanted to do earlier. The pain on my stomach not bothering me again, at least for now. I want to rest before I feel it coming again. I was being happy enough to have her around me like this. Even if I want to stay awake, I know I can’t. I’m very drowsy after taking the pill the nurse had given to me.

 

"Sure. I will come back at night."

 

"No!!!" I object very loudly, surprising her who just placed the fruits basket on the table. She gazed at me with her half-shocking eyes, clueless face, and protruding lips. I heard she chants on her mind to calm herself down from my yell. It was beyond my imagination to see her could be cute in her shocking state as well. "I mean I want to rest while you're around. Can't you stay with me till I fell asleep?" I don’t know if I sounded so like a baby or very demanding with my request, but all I know it wasn’t a bad thing when she gave me another smile.

 

"I will stay… but you have to promise me one thing."

 

I frowned because I dislike to make a promise. She looked at me in the same eye-level when she sat in the chair and drew herself closer towards the bed. Her action makes me subconsciously taking more of her addictive fragrance.

 

"What kind of promise?"

 

"Please try to eat something after you wake up."

 

I agreed without a problem just because she pleads me gently with a sound of worry in her voice.

 

"Call!"

 

I want to add thank you for staying with me, but my mouth feels so heavy to utter that magic words. Her smile was the last thing that I saw before I decided to close my eyes and getting my rest.

 

 

*******

 

Taeyeon’s POV:

 

 

My phone was set on silent mode after Jessica closed her eyes. I just can’t stay busy checking my phone and be active on the website I always visited. Jessica has captured my attention fully. Just like when I was accompanying her alone before her family came to Seoul. My eyes stay focused on her face. How she can be so amazingly beautiful while sleeping? She looks so serious though, but still gorgeous to my point of view. It’s so fascinating to watch her even from this distance. Her cheek is so red… I can see her blood cells. Oh, yeah! Her tantalizing blood cells that radiating gloriously from her skin. I kid you not. I begin drawing her face like a piece of treasure map on my mind. It forced me to remember every finest shape and line that God has best created. She is a masterpiece! A goddess of divine. Being around her like this is like a rehab for me.

 

Darn, am I scaring myself right now with what I've just stated? What the hell happen to me?

 

I’ve been forcing myself not to come so urgently. However, the MRI result that I heard from Krystal changed my plan and almost made me reach the road speed limit while driving my car. I can’t believe I will ask Yoona to do the pickup and delivery supply job for me and decided to be in the hospital right now. I felt terrible for asking a favor from her, but my mind was trying to comfort me by saying at least, I know Jessica is my priority. That’s what I’ve been asking to accept. My whole body was giving a full cooperation on this. It begins when my mind diverts me to a fruit shop, it goes with my hands that handle the steering wheel, and my feet that pressing the accelerator pedal. They have directed me to the hospital with my consent. I can’t say I don’t want this. I want this!

 

It’s that something scary?

 

"No."

 

Jessica goofily said something while giving me a normal glare that always make my heart skip a beat. From a glare to a brittle stare that come together with a softer tone this time.

 

"What did I say? Jeez! I must have been sleep talking. By the way, the air-cond is so cold, Taengoo."

 

She closed her eyes again after her complaint, leaving me clueless if I should say something or do something to help her. Believe me, I want to carry her out of the room and bring her to jimjilbang right now. I know the place will make her feel warmer than the hospital.

 

"I prefer your body... uhh... Taengoo, could you please help me to get the comforter that you used last night?"

 

"Uh…" I was caught off guard from the small talk I have on my mind as it felt connected to what Jessica said or maybe I was just assuming things. Her eyes still close when she requested about that thing. Only her hand that moving, pointing at the couch to direct me finding and giving her the comforter. "Dae…"

 

So Jessica can't really get her sleep when I was around. She kept on smiling, closing, and opening her eyes to check on me again and again after I help to cover her body with the minion comforter I bring from my home. I don't know what's so funny or what's make her look so happy. But most probably because I was around staying with her like what she wants and of course that’s what I want as well. I can't deny that thing because I already know her feeling based on our conversation last night. Her eyes only closed for real after she asked me to sit on the couch. I begin to feel worried if I sprayed too much perfume that make her dizzy or can’t get her sleep. Therefore, when she asked me to sit on the couch, I don’t argue much why I can’t stay closer to her.

 

Krystal came into the room a few minutes ago. I don't talk verbally with her because Jessica just had her sleep. She completely understood that her sister wanted to rest when she saw me on the couch. We just chat thru Kakotalk about the MRI scan that I knew from her. Although I don’t want to touch a topic about Donghae whom I’ve seen in the hospital, I can’t skip that. I need to calm her worries and anger towards Donghae. From what I heard from Krystal, I think it’s about time for me to meet Donghae again.

 

I stay at the hospital till Jessica wakes up again. I wait till she got her dinner as she promised earlier before I left. I left as her parents ask me to rest after they saw my swollen eyes. They said I've been doing a lot in their absence and up until now. They were being very grateful for my kindness and they don't want to burden me anymore to look after Jessica for another night when they were around and knew I have work the next day. With a heavy heart, I left. Truthfully, I don’t have any reason to give as an excuse to stay with Jessica again like the other night. Even if I want to stay, I know I can’t. I should give her family a chance to be with her too.

 

Sunny called me when I just done taking a shower. She said Jessica will get discharged tomorrow afternoon. Sadly, I have a job that I can’t avoid like today. I guess, I can only see her again at her house during the dinner about four more days from now.

 

 

*******

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

My parents just left me and Krystal about an hour ago after convincing Taengoo that she should stay home and rest well since we got to know she has to tutor someone in the morning and have a return trip to Japan in the afternoon to fulfil part of her job requirements.

 

I can't talk much to Taengoo when my family were around. It feels different to speak with her comfortably when all eyes were set on us. The good thing was Taengoo seems to know why I become so quiet. Since I could hear what has been playing on her mind when she was staying closer to me, so I don't find it hard to know her feedback about our situation when we got trapped in the same room with my family.

 

So tonight, only Krystal was left to accompany me. I can't hear anything playing on my parents or Krystal's mind like how I did with Taengoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter