Our Story

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

Taeyeon slammed her laptop shut while throwing her head back in frustration, “I can’t do this!”

Her roommate, Sunny was passing through to get something to drink as she saw her friend in distress, “When is the deadline?”

“A month,” Taeyeon mumbled behind her arm covering her face.

Sipping on her water, Sunny shrugged, “Then don’t work on it.”

Turning around abruptly Taeyeon gave her friend a strange look, “I must. Deadlines are serious things. Have you met my editor? She is going to hunt me down if I am even an hour late.”

“Oh my goodness Seohyun is a harmless fly. She buzzes around and makes a ton of commotion but she isn’t a dictator. If you are lacking motivation, go for a walk.”

Taeyeon frowned, “What good would that do? I write fantasy novels?”

Sunny chuckled, “Then go for a walk at night when all the ghouls and goblins are out.”

“Are making fun of me? I need some real help.” Taeyeon pouted.

Sunny placed her cup down and walked over to Taeyeon, turning her chair around, “Get out.”

“Are you kicking me out?”

“No, you can come back in like an hour. Go for a walk, maybe you will find that one vampire that loves to roam around in the daytime. I don’t know…I just know YOU, Taeyeon. You get so caught up in your head that your brain freezes…like now. Get your head out of that sinkhole for a while and come back to me ordering in and then get back to work.” Sunny smiled and patted Taeyeon’s little rump, “Off with you.”

Reluctant, Taeyeon got out of her chair and grabbed a jacket which she stuffed with her wallet, keys and phone along with her sunglasses on her head. She looked back once at her laptop before glancing at Sunny shooing her out the door. With a heavy sigh, she left.

Finally getting out into the outside world, Taeyeon hissed at the sun before flipping her shades down. “Why do people even go out in the daytime?” Seeking refuge from the summer rays, Taeyeon ducked into the closest shop which happened to embody the thing she was trying to escape from. Laughing to herself, “Of course I would go into a bookstore…” Pushing her glasses up, Taeyeon inhaled deeply of the smells of books, “although it does feel like home in here.”

Deciding she had no other place to be, Taeyeon thought a stroll around the bookstore would count as a ‘walk’ so she browsed through the cookbooks, “But Sunny orders the best takeout…” Then she went to the self-help books, “Seohyun must have wrote half these books.” After that she found some laughs and good memories in the kids section before making her way around to fiction.

Taeyeon has been writing fantasy novels for about 8 years now and has 3 books published. For her 8-short years in the business, Taeyeon figured she was pretty accomplished by now and her 4th book would be the 3rd from her “Huntress” saga which was her most famous piece of work.

While in the fiction section, Taeyeon figured she would go check out if the store carried her book. Seeing it was alphabetical by author, Taeyeon scanned around, “Kim Kim Kim Kim…so many Kims…” Then she spotted it, “Ah there.” Reaching for her book, her hand collided with another. Quickly retreating, Taeyeon stood up straight to see a very pretty woman reaching for the last copy of the second book of her series, “S-sorry.”

The woman smiled, “I am…sorry too. There is only one left. I think you got to it first if you wanted it.”

Taeyeon shook her head and was ready to explain she was the author and had probably 10 copies in her house right now, “N-no…I mean you can…it is the last one, I am just browsing.”

The woman picked up the book, “Oh. If you like female empowerment, this author is the best in the fantasy genre. Do you know of her other books?”

Taeyeon wanted to laugh at the irony, “A little.”

The girl reached into her bag and took out the first book in the series, “Here. You should start with this one. I just finished it and I am hooked. I heard the third will come out this year so I rushed here to get the second one.”

Taeyeon hesitated to take the book, “I am not sure if I have time to read it.”

“Once you start, you won’t be able to put it down. I mean…she is so good at making you feel like you are part of the story.” The girl suddenly threw her head back and laugh, “I am so sorry, here I am rambling on and you might not even like this genre.”

“I like it!” Taeyeon blurted out, “I just have a lot of work to do these days…and I umm don’t want to take your book.”

The girl smiled, “Well I don’t need it back, but if you are compelled to return it after reading…” The woman took the book and wrote something on the back page, “You can call me for a coffee and return it or exchange it for this one I am about to read. Does that sound fair?”

Taeyeon looked back down at the book in awe, “Jessica?”

The woman smiled, “Nice to meet you and you are?”

“Tae…Tae?” Taeyeon shook her hand.

“Cute name. Well it was nice meeting you TaeTae…maybe our paths will cross soon.”

Taeyeon blushed as she watched the woman walk away. Holding onto the book tightly, Taeyeon couldn’t believe her fans were this hot.

--------------------

Sunny returned from the market with 2 giant bags of take-out to see Taeyeon typing furiously on her computer, “I take it the walk did you good?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “You were right, a walk was good for me.”

“I’d say…” Sunny walked up to Taeyeon to see what she was up to but a book next to Taeyeon caught her attention, “Are you looking up material from your second book?”

Taeyeon stopped typing and placed her hand on the book, “I have it here for moral support.”

Sunny backed off, “Uh huh…writers are weird.”

-------------------

After a month, Taeyeon sent out her manuscript and spent the day napping before taking a long shower to celebrate another book finished. She knew it wouldn’t be long before Seohyun called her for major changes but she was in a good mood now that her months holed up in her apartment were over.

Not knowing what to do with her newfound freedom, Taeyeon decided to tidy up the apartment although she didn’t cause too much of a mess. While going through her papers on her desk, she came across the book Jessica gave her. Paging through she saw the number in the back of the book, “Would it be weird to call her after so long?”

Taeyeon smiled as she quickly signed her name in the book, “I should probably return this after the author signed it.” Giggling at her own stupidity, Taeyeon threw herself on the couch looking at Jessica’s handwriting, “She even writes beautifully…”

Reaching into her pocket, Taeyeon took out her phone and typed in the phone number, “She probably won’t answer.”

The phone rang a few times before someone answered, “Hello?”

Hearing Jessica’s voice again, Taeyeon nearly dropped her phone, “Y-yes, ah are you still there?”

“Who is calling?”

“It is me…from the bookstore, Tae…Tae?”

Jessica’s apprehensive mood changed, “TaeTae! Oh my gosh you called! Does that mean you read the book?”

“Ah yea…I was hoping to return the book for you.”

“Perfect timing! I just finished the second book and you HAVE to read it. It is going to answer so many questions from the first book but that sneaky author left such a huge cliffhanger! I am going to be the first in line to buy the 3rd one this time.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Yea the book was cool.”

“Would you have time today to meet? This afternoon I am free.”

“Yes! I umm mean, I didn’t have anything else to do really.”

Taeyeon imaged Jessica smiling like a cute idiot, “Great! There is a café next to the bookstore, do you want to meet in an hour?”

“An hour…cool…yea…see you then.” Taeyeon wanted to slap herself for being so awkward.

“See you then!”

Taeyeon laid back on the coach letting out a huge breath of air, “I should tell her I am the author but I don’t want her to like me cause I am this celebrity…”

“Who is a celebrity?” Sunny stretched her arms over her head, “Me?”

Taeyeon laughed as she rolled to her side, “Me of course.”

Sunny snarked, “Sure…you have 1 book only popular in Korea. My webtoon has a deal with Netflix.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “the Korean version of your webtoon has a deal with Netflix. Basically you have a webtoon that may or may not be popular after it is adapted into a drama that will air on Netflix. I have solid evidence that my books sell. It is just a matter of time before my publisher starts releasing these into other languages.”

“I am still going international before you.” Sunny stuck out her tongue.

Taeyeon got up off the couch, “I have a question for you as a fellow artist.”

Sunny turned around, “Umm okay?”

“So say that we both become famous and have like a ton of fans and our fans are smoking hot, would you date one?”

Sunny started laughing, “I can understand me having hot fans but you? Taeyeon…you do know the genre you are writing about correct? I can’t say the popular crowd is going out to get your books.”

“Well that is why I am asking hypothetically. Would you date one?”

Sunny pursed her lips, “Maybe…if they were sincere about being with me for me and not my money.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “You only finally paid me back for rent after this Netflix deal. You need to do make a webtoon once a month to pay your rent regularly.”

“I only need to make 2 or 3 a year if they all get adapted into a drama, but I only need 1 to make it REALLY big to make bank. You make it sound like I don’t contribute at all.”

Taeyeon smiled, “I just know I make more than you. 1 book can pay 2 years rent. Maybe I can buy a house after they go international?”

Sunny patted Taeyeon on the back, “Keep dreaming but your hot fan idea is only going to be in your dreams.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes , “Trust me, they are out there.”

Sunny laughed her way back into her room, “Sure they are.”

Taeyeon knew she was going to have the last laugh, “I am going to meet a very hot fan now.”

-----------------

She was early. Taeyeon had no patience and left for the café shortly after Sunny left for her room. With her coffee in hand, Taeyeon sat nervously watching the door for Jessica to walk in. Tapping her fingers on the book, Taeyeon suddenly regretted signing it. Jessica was going to see through her. How would she know the author?

“There you are.”

Taeyeon broke from her gaze and smiled at Jessica, “Hi.”

“You already got a coffee? Hold on, I am going to order quick.”

“Oh yes. Sorry I came a little early.” Taeyeon sat back down watching Jessica order her drink.

Once she paid, Jessica sat back down and pulled out a book from her bag, “Okay. Let’s trade.”

Taeyeon gave Jessica a half smile, not sure if to reveal what she did on the inside of the book, “t-thanks.”

“So you have to tell me your favorite part.”

Taeyeon brushed the back of her neck and laughed, “I am not sure.” She knew the book back and forth but now that she was on the third book, she could only think of what was to come, “maybe when Bona showed up.”

Jessica gasped, “She is my favorite character too! If you love her, the second book is going to be your favorite.”

Taeyeon wanted to say, that the third book was her favorite because Bona finally hooks up with the main huntress, Yumi, but Jessica needed to find that out on her own, “All the characters are badass.”

“That is what makes the book so good. I never knew I would be so into something like this.”

“Why did you start reading it then?”

Jessica sighed, “Well long story short, this girl….”

“Jessica your order is ready.”

Jessica looked back, “hold on.”

Taeyeon didn’t know why her heart was beating so fast all of a sudden.

With her coffee in hand, Jessica sat back across Taeyeon, “someone said I should check it out and I am glad I did. I feel like I got more than just another book out of it.”

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow and smirked, “Does that mean I am part of the deal too?”

Jessica giggled, “Depends. Do you want to be? I have a feeling this won’t be the only time we meet.”

Taeyeon leaned back in her chair, “Of course, I have to see you again to return this book.”

Although Taeyeon was being snarky, Jessica saw through her bluff, “Well I hope you finish this book soon. I want it back in a week.”

Taeyeon knew she was blushing with all this harmless flirting, “What if I can’t read that fast?”

“Of course we need to still meet so I know you are reading…but we also don’t need to talk about the book if you don’t want to?”

Harmless flirting was an understatement, Jessica was putting on the moves and Taeyeon was having too many dirty thoughts because of it, “I am umm okay with the not talking part too.”

Biting her lip, Jessica loved to see Taeyeon tremble, “I left a little something in the book when you have time, read it. I have to get back to work. See you soon.”

Reluctantly, Taeyeon watched Jessica go, but as soon as she read the note inside the book, she knew it wouldn’t be the last time that she saw her.

-----------------------

For the next several months, Taeyeon was busy making revisions on her manuscript. Between constantly writing, nagging from Seohyun, and Sunny’s persistence about knowing more about Taeyeon’s personal life, Taeyeon had Jessica.

They went on a lot of dates that ended in Jessica’s condo. To say the least, not much talking happened during their meet-ups. Taeyeon hated that she was always the one that had to leave the next morning because Seohyun called about something related to the book. She too wanted to get this finalized so that she could spend more days with Jessica.

“Taeyeon are you here with us? I know daydreaming helps writers with their creativity, but I need you to be on board with our changes.” Seohyun tapped her pen nervously on the desk.

Taeyeon shook her head, “Yea. I made those changes already. I feel like we are good to publish.”

Seohyun scanned through the file on her computer, “You left it open for a 4th book. I thought you said you wanted to keep it to 3?”

Taeyeon was going to stop at 3 but a certain woman in her life loved the book so much, what was one more? “The story had more to expand on.”

Seohyun smiled, “I am glad you see that too. With this being one of our more successful series, I think this will be a good move. If you want to move onto another project, give me a draft to look over.”

“Aye aye captain.”

Seohyun pushed some papers aside, “On other news, we have a date set for the release.”

Taeyeon sat up straight, “Seriously?”

Seohyun smiled, “Yep. I need your approval on several different designs we are considering for the cover and a book tour. Now I know you hate book tours but with how big your series got since the last book…”

“I want to do one! I think it is time I see the fans.”

Seohyun stared at Taeyeon for a second, wondering what got into her, “Umm okay. Well then…here is a list of cities we think you should visit.”

Taeyeon took the paper from Seohyun and read it over with the names of some very prominent book stores, “I want the first stop to be here.” Writing down the name of the store, Taeyeon handed back the paper.

“I know this, isn’t this like outside your place?”

Taeyeon nodded, “It holds special meaning for me to have it there.”

“I don’t know if the release would be good to have it there. We are expecting a large audience…and this place is small.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I agree…what if we do a ticketed event and I sign limited copies of the book?”

Being the money hungry manager she was, Seohyun’s eyes lit up at the idea, “That’s brilliant.”

“On one condition, I need 2 tickets for myself. For free.”

“You are cutting into my profits Taeyeon.”

“They are my profits too.”

“Fine…you are the brain of this endeavor anyway…I will let this slide once. Don’t push your luck anywhere else on the tour.”

Taeyeon smiled, “This is the only location that matters to me.”

----------------------

Jessica nearly hit her head on the table, “Worst day ever.”

Taeyeon was meeting Jessica for lunch but could see the visible frustration on her face, “Work?”

Shaking her head, “Nope.”

“What is bothering you.”

“You know the 3rd book of that series is coming out right?”

“Oh, was it announced?” Of course Taeyeon knew. She was waiting for this day and prepping for the book tour the past week.

“Yes but there is this exclusive book release at the bookstore next to your place.”

“Awesome! We should go.”

“That is the bad part. As soon as the event went live to buy tickets they sold out right away. AND they are giving away a limited copy AND the author will be there. I just missed out on the biggest event of the year. Now I have to wait longer to get the normal copy.” Jessica pouted.

“Oh. Speaking of that, I finished the book. Thought I would return it to you.”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a sad smile.

“Umm I think you should look inside.”

Jessica raised her brow looking at Taeyeon in curiosity but as soon as her eyes feasted on the delicious tickets, her heart soared, “OMG! Don’t tell me it is for…”

Taeyeon beamed, “Yep. 2 tickets for the book event.”

Jessica couldn’t contain her excitement as she reached across the table and pulled Taeyeon in for one hot, quick kiss, “You are more than amazing.”

Taeyeon knew that, “Anything for you. The best part is that you get to meet the author. She is pretty awesome.”

Jessica leaned forward, “Don’t think I don’t know what you have been hiding from me.”

Taeyeon’s heart sank and she tried to remember the speech she was going to give when Jessica found out she was the author, “W-what?”

“I opened the first book and saw a very interesting signature. How the hell did you get the author to approve that??”

“I have my ways.” Taeyeon gloated.

“You are sneaky.”

Taeyeon rubbed the back of her head because she knew there was more than one secret she was keeping from her, but soon enough she will be able to come clean with her little secret. She just hopes Jessica loves the author Kim Taeyeon as well as TaeTae.

------------------

 

It was 10am on a Saturday and Jessica already knew this would be the best day of her life. She had a hot date with her girlfriend AND she was going to meet her favorite author. Not like they had labels but they did kiss a lot and do things girlfriends would do.

Taking one last look in the window, Jessica waited patiently in line waiting for TaeTae to arrive. However, the woman that came up to her beaming was not who expected it to be, “Are you Jessica?”

“Yes, do I know you?”

The woman shook her hand, “I am Sunny, Tae’s roommate. It is nice to officially meet you instead of hearing about her gush about you 24/7.”

“Oh Sunny! She has talked about you. What are you doing here? Is she coming soon?”

Sunny pouted, “She said there is a surprise inside but for now, you get to stand in line with me.”

Jessica was curious about the surprise TaeTae had but she really wanted to see her and enjoy the moment together.

“I swear she didn’t die.” Sunny patted Jessica on the back, “Also promise me you won’t get mad at her for this…she is doing all of this just for you.”

“All of what?”

Sunny thrashed her hands around, “Who do you think made this book event happen?”

Jessica was trying to piece things together, “So TaeTae knows the author?”

“In a way.”

Jessica smiled bashfully, “no wonder the book had her signature.”

“The line is moving.” Sunny smiled as the crowd rushed into the bookstore.

Jessica handed her ticket to the man at the door as she shifted side to side, hoping to get a glimpse of the author, but the crowd was big and she was short, “Have you met the author before?”

Sunny laughed, “I know her well. We were college roommates together. Although she is a brilliant author, she sometimes has stupid ideas and doesn’t always think things through.”

Jessica nodded along.

“BUT, she is the kindest person I ever met and she would do anything for the person she loves.” Sunny patted Jessica on the back, “You are one lucky person.”

Jessica knitted her brow, “Me?” Just then the crowd opened up and Jessica got a clear view who the author was, “TaeTae?”

Walking up next in line Taeyeon beamed at Jessica, “Hey…you umm came to my book signing.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were the author?” Jessica whispered.

“I’ve never dated a fan before…I kind of panicked.” Taeyeon signed the book quickly, “Wait for me after, please?”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a sad smile because she could see Taeyeon was worried, “Okay.” Going back into the corner Jessica opened the book to see a note. Reading the short sentence, Jessica knew she couldn’t be mad at the woman. Instead, when Taeyeon wrapped up the event and met Jessica outside, Jessica couldn’t hold back and pulled Taeyeon in for a kiss, “I love you too.”

 

~End