I Will Follow You Into the Dark

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

Sooyoung sat next to Sunny with a sullen look which didn’t go unnoticed, “What is it?”

Sighing, the taller girl leaned her head on Sunny’s shoulder, “I am worried about Jessica.”

Sunny paused her game and put her phone down, “I think we all are.”

“Just when I thought she was doing better, her twitter got all dark again.”

“Did she post something?” Sunny picks her phone back up to open her twitter, “Oh …should we call her parents or something?”

Sooyoung shook her head, “I called her sister. She said that Jessica was already staying with her and her parents so they have her locked down.”

Sunny leaned her back on the couch, “Can you blame her though? I am sure the world around her crashed down in one day. I wouldn’t want to go on living either.”

Sooyoung gasped, “So if I died you would just give up on life?”

Sunny thought before humming in agreement, “I don’t know…We are not super emotional like Jessica or Taeyeon, but I am sure it would be hard.”

“Death comes eventually…some sooner than others, but people pick up the pieces and go on living. Jessica can do the same.”

Sunny stood up leaving Sooyoung hanging her head crooked, “Wae?”

“You obviously haven’t lost someone to talk like that.”

“My grandpa died.”

“Yea but he was like sick for a year. You knew it was coming. Jessica didn’t know Taeyeon would get killed by a drunk driver. One day she was laughing and loving life and the next she had to go the funeral of her fiancé. It isn’t so easy when love is ripped away like that.” Sunny left to go to the kitchen while Sooyoung slumped into lying on the couch watching the black TV.

“I hope she will be okay…”

-------------------

Krystal paced back and forth in the kitchen causing the others sitting at the table to get annoyed at her habits, “Soojung sit down if you can’t stay still.”

“How can you be so calm about this?”
Mrs. Jung placed the last dish on the table, “She will come down when she is ready.”

Mr. Jung started putting food on his plate, “Your mother is right. We can only give her time to heal.”

“Yea but she hasn’t left her room for weeks and she doesn’t come down for meals. A lot of meals I leave at her door go untouched. How long can you live without food?” Krystal was waving her arms all around dramatically.

“Try to understand your sister. Everyone has different ways of grieving.” Mrs. Jung tried to reason although she was also worried for her daughter.

Krystal slammed her fork on the table, “I can’t take it! I am dragging her down!”

The Jungs wanted to interject but Krystal was already up the stairs straight for Jessica’s room. This time the youngest Jung didn’t knock but barged into the room where she saw her sister under the sheets. Krystal walked up and ripped the sheet off her sister who was sleeping soundly holding a picture of her beloved. Krystal wanted to shake her awake and bring her down to eat but instead she dropped the sheet and slumped to the floor. She didn’t know why she was crying too but her original plan was easily forgotten.

 

~1 Month Ago~

 

Life and death is not decided by man. Only an act of God can take or give life. We are not to judge who lives or dies.

 

“Help! Help! Why won’t someone help!” The girl cried out as she held the limp girl in the ER.

Immediately doctors rushed to the side of the girl who was covered in the blood of the victim, “Put her here.”

Gently setting down the body, the doctors rushed the younger girl off as a nurse attended to the girl left behind, “is there anything wrong with you?”

The tears started bursting out as she blindly followed the patient, “Please tell me you can save her.”

“The doctors will do their best. Can you tell me what happened?”

Shaking her head back and forth, the tears kept flowing, “I can’t live without her….please save her.”

The nurse caught the girl as she collapsed to the floor, “Doctor! Come quick!”

 

~2 Days Earlier~

 

Jessica was swinging on the porch with a book in her hand. The day was unusually nice for the time of year but she was comfortable with the romance she was reading with the light breeze and warm sunshine shining through the columns. Next to her there was Taeyeon. She was content with watching her new fiancé. She loved everything about Jessica. They met in high school and Taeyeon never thought a girl like Jessica would ever be hers, so every day she makes sure Jessica is loved.

Reaching over, Taeyeon guides a stray hair behind Jessica’s ear causing the other girl to stop reading and smile, “don’t you have a book?”

Taeyeon kissed her girl on the cheek, “I am reading a picture book called Jessica Jung.”

Jessica shook her head at Taeyeon’s usual cheesiness, “If you spoil me this much, I might expect this after we are married too.”

Scooting over Taeyeon gathered Jessica into her arms, “I love spoiling my baby.”

Jessica put down her book to snuggle closer with her beloved, “It seems unreal.”

“What does.”

“That we are getting married.”

Taeyeon furrowed her brows as she looked down at Jessica, “Are you regretting saying yes?”

Jessica slapped Taeyeon on the leg, “No never. I just am so happy. I love you with all my heart and we are getting married. I wondered how I got to be so lucky.”

Taeyeon kissed Jessica on the head, “it is the same for me too baby. I already thought life was playing games with me when you agreed to go out with me. I nearly had a heart attack when you said you liked me too.”

Jessica giggled, “I remember. It looked like you were going to pass out, but believe it or not, that moment made me fall for you even harder. I knew right then that you must have loved me so much and you would take care of me.”

Taeyeon hummed in satisfaction as the couple continued to enjoy the nice weather. They stayed like that for nearly an hour until a phone call caused Taeyeon to run back into the home.

“Was that your parents?”

Taeyeon nodded, “Yea they are almost here.”

Jessica grabbed her book before going inside the house, “Should I make juice or coffee for them?”
Taeyeon came out with their coats, “No no. They will see the house and we will get going.”

“Shouldn’t we offer? I am nervous having your parents over for the first time.”

Taeyeon held Jessica by the shoulders, “Baby calm down, you have met my parents before.”

“I know, but that was at our crappy apartment when we didn’t have a juice or coffee maker.”

Taeyeon giggled before kissing Jessica, “Mmm it is fine I promise.”

Jessica smiled into the kiss, “Okay.”

The doorbell rang.

Taeyeon was the first to greet her parents before Jessica came up beside her, “Welcome.”

The older man looked gruff but he wore the same goofy smile as Taeyeon warming the whole house, “My dear daughter and my soon to be second daughter!” Taeyeon’s father gave both girls a gentle hug, “I missed my baby girl so much.”

Taeyeon’s mother came up from behind laughing, “It was your father who almost made us come here a day early. I had to find ways to occupy his time so he wouldn’t leave a day before we told you.”

“Daddy,” Taeyeon took his arm and guided him inside to the kitchen, “We wouldn’t have minded if you came early. Look we have a full kitchen!”

Jessica walked into the kitchen with Taeyeon’s mother, “The house is lovely dear.”

“Thank you Mrs. Kim.”

“Mom. You can call me mom.”

Jessica blushed as she followed her soon to be mother in law, “O-okay mom…”

“We are going to lose those two if we don’t hurry up. Taeyeon is daddy’s little girl.”

“I could see that.” Jessica watched as Taeyeon’s eyes lit up telling her parents about the house and how they were planning on a room for them to stay if they wanted to. There was so much love that Taeyeon could give that Jessica knew Taeyeon would be her present and future and she was happy Taeyeon chose her to be hers too.

“I am starving so what restaurant are we going to?”

Jessica shook from her day dreaming to grab a coat, “It is close. Just down the road.”

That night they ate and laughed like any other family. Both Jessica and Taeyeon wanted to freeze time at this moment when everything seemed so perfect.

 

Jessica went down the stairs to get some water that night, for an unknown reason, she couldn’t sleep.

“The bed felt cold.”

“Sorry baby, I will be up soon.”

Taeyeon grumbled as she leaned her full body into Jessica trapping her between the counter, “I am tired.”

Jessica giggled as she wrapped her arms around Taeyeon, “I was going to go back to bed, but I can’t move with you here like this.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I find your warmth so comfortable, I could sleep like this.”

Jessica hugged her tighter smelling the scent unique to Taeyeon, “If I left, would you stay awake until I come back?”

Taeyeon giggled, “You are never leaving me.”

“Oh? What if I need to leave and visit my parents?”

“I am coming with.”

“Umm what if you have to stay behind?”

“I will cancel my plans and come with.”

Jessica snickered at Taeyeon who was actually falling asleep in her arms, “Baby, I would follow you too. Wherever you will go, I will follow.”

 

The next day Jessica came downstairs to a whole breakfast set for her, “Oh Mrs. Kim…ah mom you didn’t have to do this.”

“Don’t be silly dear. I don’t get many chances to cook for my daughter and I wanted to make a nice meal for both of you.”

Jessica wasn’t going to argue with that nor with such an amazing break from protein shakes, “This is too much.”

“Take a seat dear.”

Jessica went to her usual spot at the table before Taeyeon joined the two in the kitchen, “Mom…I could have made breakfast for you. It was a long drive right?”

“Just sit down dear, I made all your favorites.”

Taeyeon smiled happily looking at the spread, “I missed this.”

Jessica remembered when her mother used to make the same dishes for breakfast, “This looks wonderful.”

“Good good, eat up. I will go see what is taking my husband so long to come down.”

With Taeyeon’s mother in another room Jessica leaned forward, “Your mother is doing too much. She is our guest.”

Taeyeon sipped her porridge, “I think cooking is the best gift we could give her. She is always looking for ways to spoil me…she is my mom and what makes her happy is to take care of me.”

“I feel bad for taking you away from her now,” Jessica said while playing with her food.

“You are also the best give I could give her.” Taeyeon smiled, “you make me happy every single day and that makes her happy too. Plus, now she has two people to spoil.”

Jessica shook her head in amusement, “you are just like your mother.”

“Good.” Taeyeon smiled happily, “Now eat all this food because you can’t get this after they leave. I have no idea how to make this.”

 

With breakfast finished, the Kims and Jessica went around the town showing Taeyeon’s parents the sights and where all the parks are, “Oh mom! This place has the best ice cream!”

Jessica rolled her eyes at Taeyeon, “she always wants to go here when we pass by.”

Mrs. Kim went next to Jessica and whispered in her ear, “Just this once we can give her what she wants.”

Mr. Kim was fast with pulling out his wallet to pay for all the girl’s ice cream, “Eat up.”

Jessica her ice cream with her taste buds agreeing it was wonderful, “Mmm it has been a while since I had mint.”

Taeyeon leaned over and took a from her fiancé’s ice cream, “That is nice.”

“Yah! your own.”

“Aww but we share all the time.”

Jessica grit her teeth whispering, “your parents.”

Taeyeon looked over at her parents who were doing a poor job of acting oblivious to their romantic antics, “Oh sorry.”

Rolling her eyes, Jessica continued to eat her treat in silence. She loved just watching her fiancé just as much as Taeyeon loved watching her. There was something about he subtle gestures that her loved one made that she wanted to memorize. To keep forever in her memory so that she could think back to times that were this happy.

“Baby you are drooling.” Jessica snapped out of her day dream when she felt a napkin clean up her face, “There all clean.”

Giggling, Jessica took the napkin from Taeyeon, “you too.”

Taeyeon’s parents watched the couple being all loving that they got up from their seats, “Girls if you don’t mind, we would like to catch a movie.”

Taeyeon got up, “Oh! We will go too.”

Jessica pulled her lover back down, “they meant alone.”

Mr. Kim laughed, “Don’t worry about us. Enjoy your time here.”

Taeyeon pouted as she watched her parents leave for the mall, “I thought we were supposed to be spending the whole weekend together.”

Jessica reached out to lace their fingers, “let them do things at their pace, plus, we get to have a date.”

Taeyeon flashed Jessica a beautiful smile, “every day with you is a date.”

Knowing Taeyeon’s parents were out of sight, Jessica didn’t hesitate to leave over the table and sneak in a kiss, “love you too baby.”

Taeyeon giggled as she took Jessica’s hand and kissed it gently, “more than anything I love you too.”

“Should we go home or stay out on this lovely day?”

“Let’s walk around the city some more.” Taeyeon got up and pulled Jessica along with her. They went around the city hand in hand enjoying their date that the Kims generously gave them.

“Baby come here!” Taeyeon yell out causing Jessica to turn around seeing Taeyeon adoring a puppy in the window. She was going to tell Taeyeon that they couldn’t take care of a dog, but she never got the chance. Jessica didn’t know how it happened but a car came out of nowhere and slammed into the storefront hitting Taeyeon.

Jessica went numb…her senses were mute as she watched everyone flock to the accident site. A few seconds later, everything registered and Jessica pushed forward to her Taeyeon, “Taeyeon! Taeyeon!”

That was when she saw it. Taeyeon was on the ground not moving, “No no baby wake up!”

Jessica moved in to hold her loved one. She didn’t feel the body was turning cold but she held onto Taeyeon for some sort of hope. 

A pedestrian told Jessica to go into his car so they can get to the hospital faster. It was all a blur with the rush of doctors going in and out of the ER with no one noticing that she was there, “Someone help!” Jessica screamed as loud as possible causing the ER to stand still and a doctor taking Taeyeon away.

 

One by one the others came. First it was the Kims and then the Jungs and finally Krystal. They all got the same news…Taeyeon was dead. Jessica wanted to act hysterical. She wanted to throw around the furniture and curse at the Gods that made life unfair but she didn’t. She didn’t even move from her spot on the ER chair. Nothing made sense at that moment and nothing would make sense to her from then on. What kind of life was worth living with half your heart gone?

 

~Present~

 

Krystal woke up feeling dried tears on her cheeks. She attempted to wipe them away but it didn’t matter. Her legs were almost numb from falling asleep in such a strange position. Maybe she was just as pathetic as her sister, crying herself to sleep. Trying to get up, Krystal stumbled a little but managed to get up.

Instinctively, Krystal glanced at her sister on the bed where Krystal saw the empty bottle of pills and Jessica’s lifeless body. Jessica could have been Sleeping Beauty with the way her beautiful face was frozen in an endless hibernation. Sadness wasn’t the first thing Krystal thought of when she saw her sister like that. Instead she thought Jessica must finally be at peace.

 

 

Love of mine

Someday you will die

But I'll be close behind

I'll follow you into the dark

No blinding light

Or tunnels, to gates of white

Just our hands clasped so tight

 

 

 

 

~END~