Something More Than Love (Part I)

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

 

Love is a powerful thing. It can come unexpectedly and can turn into a force so great that you can ignore everything around you that says this love isn’t worth it.

 

It hurt like hell and the constraint I felt from not being able to move properly after breaking the bone in my leg was irritating. I was on the verge of punching the wall in frustration from this stupid cast put on my leg. Not to mention my good-for-nothing parents decided to stay on vacation than be with their only child that happened to be in the hospital! When my friend called my parents franticly that I was in the hospital after getting hit by a rouge motorcyclist, they said ‘Don’t let Taeyeon give you too many problems while we vacation in Bali.’ That was it. No questions on if I was alright or something about taking the next plane back to Korea...maybe they are high on weed. I think they have stuff like that there.

So that leaves me alone since my best friend who was caring enough to drop me off in this prison, has work...well two part-time jobs. Of course she promised to visit but for the 3 days I have been here so far, the girl never returned. Am I really that pathetic to say that I really have no visitors? Poor little Kim Taeyeon has parents that are selfish and no friends that care enough.

Well looking at this ceiling for an hour or so was great and all for the beginning of the day but I think this room is getting smaller and I need some freedom. I decided to fling my heavy leg over the bed followed by the uncasted leg so I could reach for the crutches by my bed. You know I never noticed how heavy your upper body was until I used these crutches for the first time, but I am feeling like a fatty the more I use these metal supports.

Carefully I opened the door to my room and scanned the hallway as if I was doing some daring escape although I was free to get some exercise. To the left I saw the nurse’s station and to the right was a dead end, so I went to the left so I could at least leave this wing of the hospital. Most of us in this wing were not hurt severely as it was just a plain ol’ recovery section but the people here always had family or friends over (except me) making it difficult to find a person to talk to and pass the time. I figured, there must be people in this hospital that don’t have constant visitors.

The nurses took note that I was leaving but they didn’t say anything as I wasn’t a threat to hurt myself or doing anything wrong.  Therefore, I went to the elevator but I had no plans of where to go when I got in. The people looked at me as if I was going to press a number but I didn’t do so. Instead, I decided to get off on one of the floors that looked the most empty. The first floor we stopped at had most of the people in the elevator get off, so I continued to ride up...the next floor looked hectic with doctors flying back and forth...the next floor had one person get off so I decided that I will be the second to get off as well.

I looked around and noted that the person who got off before me went to the left so I headed the opposite way still looking for someone that might be lonely like me in this hospital. It was surprising how quiet this floor actually was and all the doors were closed…in fact I am sure that this unit must have people who were not well off.

“Oh my God Krystal you are such a tyrant!” I froze when I saw this brunet exit the room in anger near the end of the hall. I wanted to hide or turn around but in my current state, doing anything fast was nearly impossible so I stayed rooted in my spot.

The brunet spotted me but continued to go her way which was the vending machine near me. As she paid for her drink, she eyed me out, “Do you need an extra coin or something?”

I looked around to see that no one else was waiting for this machine, “Ah…no.”

The girl looked at me quizzically, “Are you possibly lost?”

Not wanting to meet the girl’s gaze, I looked down at the cast on my leg, “Umm not really. I was just bored so I went for a walk…a hop?”

I could hear the girl giggling so I looked back up at her beautiful face, “Are you a bunny now with that cast on?”

I gave out a nervous laugh, “maybe. It isn’t the best route of transportation at the moment but it gets me from one place to another.”

The girl continued to smile which made me start smiling too, “well I am Jessica and umm I am here with my sister. Did you want to go meet her?” She could see me hesitating, “I mean you don’t have to and all but we are here often and we don’t always get to see new people our age here.”

I had no idea why I showed hesitance since this was exactly what I came to this floor for. I wanted to meet people and this girl was offering to meet her and her sister, “I w-would like that.” Oh no…I didn’t just stutter did I?

Jessica started walking back to the room once she took the Coke from the machine, “Come on this way.”

I hopped along following the girl back to the room I saw her coming out of before. When I entered I saw who I assumed to be Krystal that was hooked up to several machines but other than looking pale, the girl looked normal. Not really sick at all. “Unnie?”

Jessica smiled at her sister while handing the Coke over, “I met her outside…her name is…”

“Taeyeon. My name is Taeyeon.”

Jessica just continued to smile at me and Krystal until she pulled up two chairs near the bed, “Here sit.”

I was pretty tired already so sitting down was a very nice option. After putting my crutches against the wall, I hopped over to the chair and sat down whilst propping the casted leg on the extra chair Jessica brought over. This whole broken leg thing was certainly going to improve my endurance later because the beads of sweat were accumulating on my crown from just the little way over to here.

“So you broke your leg?”

Krystal started the conversation which was nice because I didn’t know the sisters and they really didn’t know me, “Ah yes a few days ago I was leaving the office and this motorcycle came out of nowhere. With my luck, it hit only me and well it is broken as you can see.”

Jessica grimaced while Krystal was busy looking at the cast, “That is unfortunate.”

“Ah umm yea. Do you mind me asking why you are here?”

Krystal looked over at Jessica before returning her gaze to me, “I just came for normal treatments. I have a bleeding disorder. Jessica and I come here maybe every month for a few days to get treatment. You could say this is our way of sisterly bonding since I go to university and Jessica works a full-time job. Kind of weird to bond in a hospital but being here for a few days lets us catch up plus driving after treatment is difficult.”

It was my first time meeting someone with such a severe disorder like that but it didn’t seem to affect Krystal’s esteem and it looked like the two sisters were used to the routine, “I see. But you are fine?”

“She is more than fine once she starts demanding food and soda.” Jessica intervened.

I could see Krystal wanted to get up and smack her sister but knew she couldn’t so she gave the older sister an icy-glare that even gave me chills, “That isn’t how you treat a patient.”

“You are only a patient if you are too weak to run off that mouth of yours.”

“Yah!”

I couldn’t help but laugh at the sisters bickering back and forth. Although I wasn’t part of the conversation, it was certainly fun to watch. Every once in a while they would throw me a question that I could answer but for the most part, I just got to understand the sisters better. Krystal was a student at the local university near the hospital majoring in psychology while Jessica was about 4 years older and working in middle management for a perfume company. Of course I told them a bit about me as well which was how I was working for a publishing company that happened to be near Jessica’s work. For all I know, the two of us could have crossed paths before but never noticed before.

It was an amazing time to pass the time but when night fell, the nurse came in and busted up the party, “Sorry Ms. Jessica but we need Krystal to get one more treatment and visiting hours are coming to a close.”

Krystal was groaning when she saw the nurse preparing the treatment while Jessica started packing up her belongings. Of course I followed suit and decided to go back to my room since Jessica mentioned something about the treatment making Krystal very tired once finished.

Jessica walked over to Krystal and gave her a kiss on the forehead, “I will be back tomorrow baby girl. Try to sleep tonight and if you get up early, your books are right next to you to study okay?”

Krystal just smiled at her sister before Jessica moved to my side, “Taeyeon do you want me to walk you back to your room?”

“OH…I don’t really need help…”

“Unnie you should go with Taeyeon and make sure she doesn’t hurt herself. She doesn’t look stable on those crutches.”

I laughed at Krystal’s comment. It was true that I wasn’t used to using these things but I wasn’t worried about hurting myself further, “I will be fine Krystal, I hope you get better.”

“You too Taeyeon unnie. Don’t go on breaking any more limbs.”

Jessica and I left the room laughing at the sick girl with our laughter only subsiding as Jessica and I reached the elevator. Unfortunately, the elevator doors opened rather quickly so Jessica and I didn’t exchange many words other than ‘what floor are you on.’

I saw the nurses giving me some glares with my reappearance, “Ms. Kim where did you go?”

I stopped in my tracks and looked up at my nurse, “Just for exercise.”

“Try not to leave for such a long amount of time in case the doctor comes again to take a look alright?”

I just nodded my head before going back to my room. Once in the comfort of the bed, I started feeling tired from all the exercise and a bit sore so I called in the nurse who gave me painkillers, almost like she was expecting to hear from me for these.

My eyes were closing fast but my phone beeped next to me causing me to look at my phone, “Humm 20 missed calls…31 new messages…all from Sunny?” I didn’t want the girl to worry about me since I left my phone in my room the whole time I was with Krystal and Jessica so I called her, “Sunny?”

“What the hell Kim Taeyeon? What are you doing in the hospital that you can’t even answer your phone?”

“I didn’t know you would call so I didn’t have my phone with me.”

“Are you causing trouble again? Aren’t you supposed to just be sleeping most of the day?”

“Sunny I broke my leg…I don’t need constant sleep to get better, but now you are interrupting my sleep. Can’t you see how late it is?”

“Don’t blame this on me when you were the one to call this late.”

I rolled my eyes, “Fine. I will try and remember my phone if I go out. Night Sunny…” I could hear her wanting to say something but I hung up before she could yell something else into my ear. At least she was concerned.

--------------------------

It was a Saturday when my eyes opened to the new day. I sighed thinking about the fact that I had one more day here before Sunny was to pick me and take me home. Having nowhere to go, I just rolled around in my bed a bit and scratched my tummy before a knock came on my door.

“Ah Ms. Kim I was told you had an adventure around the hospital yesterday.”

I smiled at the doctor. My orthopedic doctor was a younger man maybe in his late 30s so it was easy to communicate with him and speak on a similar level, “I just was getting bored in here.”

The man was busy looking over my charts until he went over to my cast and started examining it, “There is no harm in that and it seems you have minimal swelling. I don’t see signs of infection so going home tomorrow will be possible.” I smiled happily at the good news, “I will examine once more before your discharge so don’t go sneaking off without my visit okay?”

“Yep!”

“Okay good. Make sure your leg is elevated and try to get some rest since you went out for such a long time yesterday.”

“I will don’t worry.”

The doctor put back my chart, “Alright. See you tomorrow morning then.”

I waved the doctor good bye before sinking back into my bed to think about what I wanted a meal for the day since it was almost time for lunch. When I decided on kimchi…a knock came on my door, “Taeyeon?”

The person that walked through my door was very unexpected, “Jessica?”

“Oh I did get the right room!” She walked over happily caring a bag in her hand. “I went to see Krystal but she was sleeping. I had brought some lunch did you want to have some?”

Jessica already had pulled a chair over like she was expecting to stay a longer time, “Isn’t that food for Krystal? I can’t eat her food…”

“I brought some extra so there will still be some for her. I insist.”

I sat up a bit and pulled over the table on my bed whilst a cheery Jessica started placing the dishes on the table, “Don’t worry they are edible because my mom made them.”

“What? I really can’t eat the food your mom made for Krystal.”

“Nonsense. My mom gave them to me so it is up to me who I want to give it to.”

I rolled my eyes at her logic but that homemade kimchi looked so enticing that just a taste won’t hurt right? Looking back up at Jessica I could see her trying to hand me the chopsticks so I complied and took them to start eating. Within the first bite, I was in heaven. I couldn’t remember when I had such amazing homecooked meal or one made by my mother for that matter…Jessica is the devil for getting me hooked on food that I shouldn’t be eating.

Unexpectedly, I ate everything that sinister girl put in front of me with her only showing me that charming smile, “It was good huh?”

I rubbed my tummy that was very full, “Why don’t you cook if your mother is this amazing?”

“Well that is exactly why. She is so good that I never wanted to cook.”

Again I found myself laughing at her twisted logic, “Don’t you have to get back to Krystal?”

Jessica looked down at her watch, “Maybe I should. Did you say that you are being discharged tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“I am taking Krystal home as well, did you need a ride?”

“Oh I have a friend picking me up. I don’t need to trouble you anymore.”

Jessica pushed the hair behind her ears, “It would have been no problem.” The girl finally got up and started to head for the door but stopped, “It was nice meeting you Kim Taeyeon.”

I gave Jessica a toothy grin, “You too Jessica. It was nice meeting you and Krystal too.”

With that, Jessica left my room and I didn’t get to see her anymore that day although I was tempted to just go upstairs and visit Krystal, but I didn’t. I don’t know what made me not go, but I stayed in my room the rest of the day.

 

 

 


Author Note

So I have been working on this for too long that I decided than making a super long one-shot, I would split this into two parts so you could have something to read or at least see what I have been working on these days.

I will just say, the ending is not what it seems here (as to be expected of your author haha!)