The Choir Girl

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

Slipping on a floral dress for the morning activities was always a bit chilly as spring just started but Jessica wore her usual attire as if it was a uniform she must wear on this day. Looking over to her sister, the younger Jung was also wearing a spring dress but was smarter to wear her denim jacket to protect from the light breeze that day. Her parents were talking about activities they would do after lunch but none of that related to her since she had plans with her friends.

Eventually the car came to a stop and Jessica gazed at the cross adhering over the door to bless the family as they entered. It was a rather small church that her family attended but it was big enough to hold 100 if that many people would show up, but Jessica guessed closer to 40-50 people would come every Sunday during the time her family chose to arrive. Like creatures of habit, Jessica and her family went to the middle section of the right pews to take a seat.

With her mother being heavily involved in the church activities, she would always join them after saying hello to nearly everyone at the church but Jessica considered herself more of a loner. Her mother tried to get her involved in some activities in the church but just as she would start something, Jessica would drop it just as fast. Therefore Jessica was not known other than part of the Jung family but not many knew much about the eldest Jung daughter since she hardly interacted and only showed for the church service. The younger Jung however, was just like her mother who happened to volunteer mostly in the children’s area but would accompany her mother in many other activities the church held. Jessica assumed her mother favored her sister more since she basically was the ‘perfect little angel.’

“Please rise and join us in worship.”

Jessica looked past the alter to read the page number they were going to use. Seeing it was a song she knew well, Jessica closed her book to sing the song with all her heart. Most knew Jessica was a gifted singer and she could belt it out with the best but she was so modest about it that she never once exemplified her skills such as joining a musical or choir although most would urge her on. Jessica saw her voice as her personal refuge and let herself divulge in it’s beauty.

Suddenly, a solo emerged in the song and Jessica stopped singing along because the clarity and beauty of the voice was foreign. Never before did she remember any of the choir members having such a strong voice that would echo into her heart. For sure, Jessica was in the love with that voice so she had to see who was singing with such perfection. The girl looked a lot younger than Jessica expected with her long brown hair and eyes that would close at the more soulful parts. Not only was the voice captivating but how she sang was truly poetic with how the girl got lost in the song. Some would call it emotional singing.

Jessica remained breathless for the whole song as she wanted to capture the girl’s voice even if it became part of the background for the rest of the song. Not only was the girl an amazing soloist, she could harmonize with the rest. Somehow, the joining of this girl to the choir made the song more entrancing than she remembered.

The mass went on like usual but Jessica’s mind was not on the sermon that day. She could only think of how the choir girl came into the church. Surely she would have noticed such a voice before. The girl and her family must be new to the area or something, but wait...that didn’t make sense. How could a girl that just arrived get a solo? That makes no sense right? Clearly Jessica would have to ask around for the answers to her questions but that would mean interacting with people she normally didn’t talk to. Not something Jessica was particularly fond of doing.

“Sooyeon?”

Jessica looked up to see her sister staring down at her, “Huh?”

“The mass is over. Are you coming? You said you had to meet your friends today.”

Jessica looked around and saw most of the people conversing and saying goodbyes or catching up but here she was sitting around like an idiot, “where is dad?”

The younger Jung looked around, “Over by that family.”

Jessica nodded as she got up, “I will see you at home later Soojung!”

When Jessica approached she heard her father telling the couple about the church a bit. Maybe they were new to the church and that is why, “Oh! This is my eldest daughter Jessica.” Jessica looked up at her father who was introducing her to complete strangers, “Jessica these are the Kims. They joined last week.”

Jessica shook their hands, “It is nice meeting you. How old are you?”

“17.”

“Oh. The same age as our daughter.” The woman looked around as if looking for someone, “Taeyeon!” Jessica looked at the girl Mrs. Kim was yelling for to notice that it was the choir girl that was belting out that amazing solo, “Taeyeon I want you to meet the Jungs. This is their daughter Jessica and she is your age.”

Jessica looked in amazement that it was this easy to greet the girl, “Hello.”

Taeyeon showed an unbelievably cute dimpled smile, “Nice to meet you.”

Jessica wanted to talk to the girl more but her father said something that would crush that hope, “Sorry to cut this short but Jessica has some plans so we will take off.” It was the first time that Jessica was cursing herself for making plans after church.

“We understand. See you next week.”

“Of course.”

Jessica kept stealing glances at Taeyeon who was smiling at her and her father before Jessica left with her dad.

In the car, Jessica thought about how nice it would be to see Taeyeon next week. For once, Jessica was really interested in going to church.

 

A week past and Jessica was with her family on the way to church once again. It was strange that Jessica attempted to braid her hair this morning and some blush but it did look nice. A bit nicer than most days.

The car pulled up to the church and it was Jessica who entered first to look around. She didn’t go to her seat right away which surprised her father who didn’t want to sit alone, “Sooyeon?” Jessica turned her head to see her father looking at her, “Are you expecting someone?”

Jessica shook her head no when she didn’t spot Taeyeon so she went to sit with her father. She tried not being too deflated about the fact that she couldn’t find that dimpled smile but Jessica was really depressed. Fear also consumed to the fact that the girl would not be there this week like her mother promised.

However, all doubts were removed when the music started again. That angelic voice echoed through the walls making Jessica melt. She was there in that choir. Maybe she had to prepare before mass or something and that is why she wasn’t there for Jessica to see before.

Unconsciously Jessica smiled the rest of the mass and was not shy to blatantly stare at Taeyeon while she sang. There was no question that Jessica had an addiction to that voice.

With an hour passed, Jessica heard the mass conclude and she got up. This time, Jessica chose not to make plans after church just in case she caught Taeyeon again. She didn’t want plans to get in her way of getting closer to that voice.

Jessica looked around for a bit before she spotted her target. The girl was wondering around like she didn’t have friends yet (kind of made sense since she just moved). The anti-social Jessica thought her prey was vulnerable enough to approach, “Umm...”

The girl looked at Jessica before smiling, “Jessica! Umm right?”

Jessica smiled, “Taeyeon...right?” Taeyeon nodded before looking at the girl intently, “Ah...you just moved here?”

Taeyeon leaned on the pew, “Yep.”

“From where?”

“I was from Jeju....now here.”

“Wow...it must be really different.”

Taeyeon just smiled, “It always is after a move.”

“It doesn’t sound like this is your first move.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “We have several times but I am positive this time we won’t till after graduation.”

Jessica nodded before bringing up her actual interest, “So...you are in the choir?”

“I love singing.”

“Your voice is lovely.”

A large grin appeared on Taeyeon’s face, “Thank you.”

“So umm...that solo...”

Taeyeon laughed knowing what Jessica wanted to ask, “The girl was sick the night before and I volunteered. I guess they trusted me to not screw it up but I must say, that I was a bit nervous doing it the week I joined. I don’t feel like I deserve such an honor.”

“You do...you do deserve it.”

“Well thank you.” The girls remained smiling at each other before Taeyeon asked what she was truly curious about, “Do you sing?”

Jessica thought about it, “I do...to myself mostly.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Do you like singing?”

“I do.”

“Have you thought of joining?”

Jessica looked up at the empty area where the choir usually stands, “No. Never.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I guess it isn’t for everyone.” The girls heard Taeyeon being called away by her parents, “I will umm see you around?”

Jessica nodded before Taeyeon took her leave. Looking around, Jessica noticed some brochures that the church made with activities they held that could use volunteers. One flyer in particular took her interest so she took it before finding her parents so they could leave.

-------------------------------

This is a stupid idea, Jessica thought as she looked around the church on a Thursday. She remembered the shock in her mother’s face when she told her the idea of coming today but she didn’t know if it was her mother that was more shocked or how shocked she was to even have this idea. Yet...here Jessica was standing in an empty church because she came early for something she never thought of doing before.

After a few minutes of silence, an older woman came in, “Oh? Can I help you miss?”

Jessica looked down shyly, “I ah am looking for the choir director?”

The woman clapped and smiled happily, “That would be me! I am Ms. Song! How can I assist you?”

Slowly, Jessica pulled out the flyer in her pocket, “I ah saw this and umm was wondering...”

“You want to join! Oh my!” Jessica couldn’t believe how enthusiastic this lady was about her being here.

“D-don’t I have to audition?”

Shock hit the woman and she became more serious, “Right! Come with me!” The woman dragged Jessica over to the piano that was in the corner before digging around to find some sheet music, “Alright. Sing this.”

Jessica looked at the music but wasn’t sure how to read the music exactly but she did know the song luckily since they sang it often. The piano started to play and Jessica in a huge breath of air before her voice sang throughout the empty church. After the song finished, the director stared at her with a grin, “I am not letting you go.”

Jessica held open in shock, “What?”

The director stood up and did the unexpected and hugged Jessica, “I am never letting you leave the choir.” The woman let her go to look her in the eyes, “How lucky am I to get two amazing new singers within a week!!!”

Jessica could only assume it was Taeyeon who she was referring to but the compliment made Jessica match the smile on the other woman’s face, “So I am in the choir?”

“Yes! Absolutely!” The woman shuffled around her things but a frown appeared on her face when she noticed what she was looking for was missing, “Umm I have extra sheet music somewhere but you will have to share for tonight...”

“Tonight? Like as now?”

The woman looked up in surprise, “I assumed you came today since you knew our practice times are Thursday nights? In 15 minutes, the other girls and boys will show up.”

“I-I ah...this is sudden.”

The woman patted Jessica on the shoulder, “You will fit in perfectly, but you will have to share the sheet music for today and the others will be ahead of you since they had a week to prepare for practice tonight.”

“I will get in the way...”

“Nonsense! Just a bit behind. You will catch up fast! I just know it!”

Jessica was surprised the woman remained so enthusiastic about Jessica joining that it gave her some sense of relief that she made a good decision. However, the confidence drained the moment other choir members entered the church. They mingled among themselves and gave her glances as if to why she was there. Unfortunately, the director was busy with something else that Jessica couldn’t go to her for some kind of comfort.

“Jessica?”

That voice...Jessica knew that certain voice and it made her happy but nervous at the same time, “T-Taeyeon...”

That dimpled smile adorned the girl’s face, “Why are you here?”

Jessica opened to answer but before she could, the choir director interrupted, “Everyone! I want to introduce our new member, Jessica Jung! I am sure you know the Jung family.” The crowd of people were a bit stunned but one by one they greeted Jessica making her feel like one of the group although she hadn’t contributed yet, “Alright boys and girls, we are going to start with the first song. Take your places.”

Jessica was a bit lost and didn’t have sheet music, however one girl noticed this fact and pulled Jessica to stand by her, “Jessica did you want to share the music with me?”

A light blush flushed on Jessica’s face with just Taeyeon’s touch and close proximity, “S-sure...thanks.”

The girl grinned as she showed the music, “This is the first song. Just follow along with the harmony and sing comfortably.”

Jessica looked down at the music but this time, she didn’t know the song and to add to her troubles, she didn’t know how to read sheet music due to the lack of any form of music training. Once the music started, Jessica felt like there was a frog in and no sound came out. She could hear the harmony of the others but even if she wanted to sing something, the nervousness and fear prevented it. Taeyeon glanced over with her eyes at the mute girl since she heard nothing, but she didn’t have to say anything as the music stopped, “Jessica dear? Is something wrong? I didn’t hear you in the harmony.”

Jessica swallowed her lump, “Ah...umm can I come back a different time? This is overwhelming to me.”

The choir director saw the distress but she wasn’t going to let the girl just walk out, “Jessica you are new so why don’t you just take a seat there and watch the practice today. Next time you can participate once I give you the sheet music okay?”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon one more time before taking a seat to watch the others. Actually, Jessica really only watched one person that whole practice. She saw how the girl would close her eyes and get lost in the song or the way her nose scrunched when she noticed a note was not perfect. She was cute. Undeniably...cute.

“Alright boys and girls. I will see you Sunday and don’t forget to practice some at home.” The choir director looked at Jessica again, “On Sunday I can give you the music okay dear?”

Jessica just nodded at the choir director before taking out her phone to tell her mom to pick her up, but right before she could press send, a girl came behind her, “Jessica?”

Turning around in surprise, “Yes?”

“Did you have a ride?” The girl’s brown eyes bore into her with concern, “My mom is here if you want to ride with us.”

Of course Jessica did! “I was going to call my mom...I don’t want to be a burden.”

The girl giggled, “Nonsense! Come with me so we can take you home.”

It didn’t even seem like the girl was asking her anymore but insisted that she be the one to take Jessica home. Inwardly, Jessica was b with excitement that she got to spend more time with the girl that had the beautiful voice.

The two girls walked out to the car where Jessica noticed the woman as Taeyeon’s mother sat in the driver’s seat. Taeyeon opened the back door allowing both of them to enter, “Oh? Tae you have a friend?”

Jessica smiled at the nickname, “Yep! Mom this is Jessica. She joined the choir and I thought we could help her go home.”

When the older woman smiled, Jessica could immediately see the resemblance she had to her daughter, “Of course! Jessica do you think you can help direct me?”

“Yes!” Jessica said with certainty. With that, the three women set off and Jessica focused on giving the woman the directions to her home, unknown that there was someone watching her with intent the whole time. Once they arrived, Jessica bid the two women goodbye. She was truly happy that she went to church on a Thursday.

---------------------------------------

Dressed in her Sunday best, Jessica entered the church with her family. Knowing the choir met before church service, Jessica thought she would seek out the director to get the sheet music. After asking around, she found a door that led to a back room with a piano. There she found not only the choir director, but all the members, including Taeyeon. “Jessica dear!”

“Hello Ms. Song.”

The woman understood the reason for Jessica’s visit so she pulled out the papers to hand to Jessica, “Here you are. Now I just need you to practice these before Thursday.”

Jessica looked down at the gibberish of symbols before excusing herself to get back in the church. She tried comprehending the documents given to her, but Jessica already knew she was screwed. This was one bad idea....”Jessica wait!”

Looking back at the person who yelled her name, Jessica was very surprised to see Taeyeon, “Jessica I wanted to ask you a question in case I don’t see you after church.”

That didn’t make sense...Jessica knew she would find the girl someway after the service because she already felt herself drawn to the girl, “What is it?”

“Well...I know you are new to the choir and I am well too but...do you think that we could practice together? I think it would be nice if we could learn the songs and harmonize certain parts together.”

At that moment, Jessica felt like the heavens opened and God was blessing her with a beautiful gift at that moment (should be obvious since she is at a church), “I would like that.”

With teeth glowing, Taeyeon looked just as happy as Jessica, “Okay! Can I have your number then? We can pick a time.”

Without hesitance, Jessica whipped out her phone so they could exchange numbers. Out of all the Sundays, Jessica thought this was the most productive of them all. Who knew getting the girl’s number would be this easy?

------------------------------------

Angel’s Voice: “Jessica? This is Taeyeon.”

Jessica was reading a magazine that Monday night before she read the message that made her giggle. Of course it was her. Did the girl think she gave her a wrong number?

Me: “Yes?”

Angel’s Voice: “Hi! Wondering if free tomorrow or Wednesday after school?”

Me: “Both.”

Jessica was being a creep as she smiled as an idiot. She wished that the girl would advise both days to practice.

Angel’s Voice: “Wonderful! Can you come to my house on tomorrow? Maybe 6pm?”

Me: “It’s a date.”

Jessica wanted to slap herself for sending that message. She thought about how the girl might get the gist of what she really wanted out of her visit.

Angel’s Voice: “Great! See you then.”

That night, Jessica was groaning in her pillow from frustration due to her stupid texting but then rolled around in excitement until she tuckered out. Without the day even starting, Jessica already could tell that tomorrow was going to be a sunny and wonderful day.

----------------------------------------

Krystal passed her sister’s room but had to back track when she saw what her sister was wearing, “Jess? What is the occasion? It is a Tuesday not Sunday.....wait! You have a date?!”

Jessica’s face glowed red, “No and no!”

Krystal cocked her head eyeing out the brand new dress that screamed date, “Why do you look so nice? I also don’t remember this dress...”

“I always look nice for your information...”

Krystal scoffed, “Says the girl who spent all of yesterday in sweats eating Cheetos—“ Suddenly a pillow collided with the younger Jung’s face, “And violent!”

Jessica stomped to the door, “Unlike you, I am very ladylike.”

Afraid of another outrage, Krystal just started walking back down the hall laughing and calling her sister “Jessie-boy”.

Trying to catch her composure, Jessica returned to the mirror to look at herself, “Maybe this is a little too much....”

 

Jessica double checked the address on her phone before looking up at the white house. She was pretty nervous for a simple practice session and she tried to convince herself that this was just an ordinary meeting between friends...well soon to be friends...she hopes.

The fresh night air did Jessica good by calming her down a bit before her finger lifted to ring the doorbell. It wasn’t more than one hit that she heard feet pattering towards the door. With a huge grin, it was Taeyeon who greeted her happily, “you came!”

Fighting off a grin, “You invited me...”

Taeyeon laughed and made way to let the girl in, “And you agreed.” Leading the way, Taeyeon took Jessica up to her room, “My parents have some event thing tonight so it is just us. I don’t think they would want to hear us singing at the top of our lungs anyways.” Upon entering the older girl’s room, Jessica saw that it was simple and a few boxes were around; reminding her that the girl just moved here. “I ah don’t know what you like to drink but I thought singing can make the throat dry...ah and I have water here...for you.”

Jessica looked down at the desk next to her smiling that the girl was so thoughtful, “Thank you.”

Taeyeon fumbled around her room to set up the music stand and their sheet music, “Do you want to get started?”

Jessica looked blankly at the music hoping the girl would start, “How about warm up exercises?”

“Warm up?”

The girl smiled, “Do you remember at practice? We did some things with our throats to warm up.” Jessica nodded, “Okay. Just follow after me then.” With that, Taeyeon started doing a few exercises to warm up their vocal chords while Jessica followed along. Now and then they would exchange glances but Jessica would be quick to look away when their eyes contacted.

“I think we should start with the first song.” Taeyeon shifted around in her spot allowing her to brush Jessica’s shoulder accidentally.

Jessica stood still with the brief contact before turning her attention to Taeyeon that started singing. Trying to catch up, Jessica attempted to match Taeyeon’s soulful voice but she failed causing Taeyeon to stop, “Jessica is there something wrong?”

Jessica looked down at the sheet music in confusion, “I can’t read the notes...I can’t really sing”

Taeyeon smiled before looking at Jessica, “Nonsense! I heard you sing and it was beautiful. You don’t need professional training to understand notes.” Taeyeon pointed at the music trying to explain the tone pattern simply and hoped Jessica would just try to follow her lead after that.

Although Jessica was embarrassed by her lack of musical literacy, Taeyeon led her through the first song expertly, “Wow...you should be a music teacher.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Already figuring out my dreams?”

Jessica looked up in to those brown eyes, “Really?”

Taeyeon nodded happily, “Singing is a talent that should never be wasted. I want to teach kids to harness their potential.”

Jessica nodded along, “You would be amazing at it.”

Taeyeon smiled before handing Jessica her water, “How about a break? We have cookies downstairs too.” Seeing Jessica’s eyes glow with the mention of cookies, Taeyeon took her hand, “Cookies it is!”

Jessica tried to comprehend everything that was happening but it was so fast and before she knew it, a cookie got shoved in her face. “Good right?” Finally breaking from her daze, Jessica smiled in appreciation of the sweetness in . Then, the world stopped once more, “You have crumbs,” Taeyeon said as she brushed her thumb around Jessica’s lips, “So messy.”

Jessica hesitantly rubbed her face with her sleeve before giving Taeyeon a silent thank you.

The rest of the night, the girls practiced and got the songs down before Jessica noted how late the night was. More than once, Taeyeon would make Jessica blush by complimenting her or simple contacts. However, that night was a big milestone for Jessica since she and Taeyeon would become friends after that night.

------------------------------------

It was Sunday once again and Jessica arrived very early to church, much earlier than when the other choir members were to arrive. She was nervous. Although she had a good practice session with Taeyeon that paid off during rehearsals Thursday night, she was still frightened.

“Are you here for a confession?”

Jessica turned when she heard a voice she didn’t expect, “Not unless you are the new priest of the church?”

The girl laughed that echoed in the empty church, “Thank goodness I am not since I want to give a confession.”

Jessica arched her brow before standing up from the pew she was in, “Sorry to burst your bubble but he is in the back talking to...”

“I don’t need him for a confession.”

“Oh?”

“I wanted to confess my sin of being into choir girls.” Jessica was at a loss for words so Taeyeon continued, “Do you have something to confess to me?”

“I umm am nervous. For my first performance?” Jessica tried not to take Taeyeon’s words too seriously.

Taeyeon sighed as she walked into Jessica’s personal bubble, “You mean your second?”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a sly grin as she also leaned in dangerously close to the other girl’s lips, “I thought the first was just a practice session?”

~Wednesday Night~

Jessica and Taeyeon were up in Taeyeon’s room going over the practice music again, “Taeyeon why do you always move around?”

Taeyeon was sitting on the bed cross-legged, “My father and his job.”

“Oh.” Silence bestowed the two.

“Jessica why did you join the choir? You didn’t seem interested in it when I first saw you.”

Looking up from the music, Jessica looked Taeyeon in the eyes, “N-no special reason.”

Taeyeon shifted closer and lifted Jessica’s chin up so they could look into each other’s eyes, “Was it because of me?”

Jessica snapped away in embarrassment, “W-what? Why would you think that?”

“Your face is red and I see you always glancing at me.”

“But your eyes were closed,” Jessica mumbled.

“So you admit to looking at me while I was singing?”

Jessica wanted to bury herself in a hole, “You are umm beautiful when singing...”

A mischievous smile appeared on Taeyeon’s face, “Only when I am singing? I think you are beautiful all the time.”

Jessica’s eyes jolted up, “Really?”

Taeyeon nodded, “Did you think you were the only one taking glances?” Absent mindedly, Jessica nodded causing Taeyeon to laugh out loud, “Does this mean you like me? Because that is what it means when I stare at someone.”

Jessica was at a loss for words, “You like me?”

“I think I have a huge crush on you although we just met.”

Never mind about being buried in hole! Jessica was floating on air at this moment, “I like you too.”

Taeyeon started grinning like an idiot, “Does this mean I can date you?” Jessica started smiling happily while nodding ‘yes’ “Does this mean I can kiss you?”

Jessica didn’t feel like giving Taeyeon an answer as she quickly leaned in to capture the girl’s luscious lips.

~Present~

Taeyeon smiled back to the thought of their ‘practice session’, “I guess you are right.” Just then, their sweet moment was interrupted by the entrance of several people from the choir. Not wanting the others to hear, Taeyeon leaned in to whisper, “I want the full performance tonight.” Jessica looked at the girl in shock but it did make her forget her nervousness about her first choir performance that day at church.

 

~END~

 

 

 


Author's Note

Realistically, it was your author who was eating Cheetos in sweatpants haha!