Trouble Child

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

Inspired by a prompt by cookie1026

“Well Ms. Kim I am sure you already know why you are here,” The principle shifted through the papers on her desk, “do you realize that your actions could mean a possible expulsion from this academy?”

The girl shifted in her seat, “Yes mam…but if you will let me expl—”

“Quiet. There is no excuse to when violence should ever be used. Your words Ms. Kim are much stronger than your fists. Thus, I had no choice but to call your mom.”

Biting her lip, the girl knew the situation wasn’t good but she didn’t want to bother her mother although she would probably understand, “I understand…” then it occurred to her, which mother did they call? Her one mother was caring and understanding but her other mother might bring hell upon her, “May I ask which one of my mom’s you called?”

“Well of course both. This is a serious matter like I stated.”

“WHAT!” The girl stood up in shock, “No no no…both?!”

“Why yes, now sit down. When your mothers come in we will meet again. Until then, you have detention and extra cleaning duties. You are on thin ice missy so please watch yourself.”

The girl was like a zombie by the time she left the office, which didn’t go unnoticed by her friends, “Hyo! Yo Hyo! How did it go? You going to get expelled. The whole campus said you would.”

Hyoyeon shook her head, “No…something worse.”

“What can be worse than getting expelled?”

“My mom’s are coming here…together.”

“How is that worse?” Her best friend Yuri put her arm around Hyoyeon’s shoulder.

“Simply…they hate each other. Maybe their hate for one another will make them forget what I did,” Hyoyeon now feeling slightly positive about the situation.

The girls stopped in front of the dorm room, “so when are your mom’s coming?”

Hyoyeon unlocked her door throwing her bookbag on the floor, “I am not sure. My one mom might not come. She is a ruthless lawyer and last I heard she was doing some huge case while my other mom is a CEO and super busy traveling all the time.”

“No wonder you are in this boarding school. I was sent cause I am a wild child.” Yuri laughed taking over Hyoyeon’s bed.

“Actually I asked to be here.”

“What? Why are you telling me this just now?”

“At the time I thought it was a good idea. My moms wouldn’t stop fighting and I was tired of hearing it every day. I saw a flyer for this school and begged my parents to let me go. I am guessing without me around they finally realized they were not good for each other and divorced a year later.” Hyoyeon went over to her desk with a picture of her family when they were happy, “I think both of them needed a distraction so they moved up in their respective fields. When I saw how successful they became after I left, I thought it was good that I came here. Like I had been holding them back all this time.”

“Hyo…I am sure they don’t feel that way.”

Hyoyeon laughed off her depressing reality, “Of course. They love me. I always go on these awesome trips with my youngest mother. She loves having me around after her business trips. I feel like a celebrity when I am with her. My other mom is like a big kid. She is the one that is almost like a sister to me. I think I get the best of both of them.”

“Your moms sound awesome. I come from a line of trust funds. I am going to be super rich because my family is super rich.”

Hyoyeon laughed at her friend, “no wonder you are at this school.”

Just then a knock on the dorm room broke the girl’s gossiping, “come in. It’s open.”

The door busted open nearly shaking Hyoyeon to the core, “m-mom….I thought the dean just called you?”

“How far do you think I live?! Now explain yourself missy!”

Yuri shot up from the bed, “I will be taking my leave. Hello Ms. Kim.”

The woman exchanged greetings before turning her attention to her daughter, “I am not leaving until I know why you hit a school mate. I know I taught you better.”

Hyoyeon offered a seat to her mother before rehashing the story, “I swear it was self defense!”

“I see you have a clear case for self-defense. I just need to seize your classmate’s phone to prove your innocence.”

Hyoyeon lunged forward and hugged her mom, “I knew having a lawyer mom would benefit me one day.”

Ms. Kim pushed her daughter away, “You planned on doing something illegal one day?”

“Umm no?”

Raising her brow in disbelief, Ms. Kim shook her head, “even if you are a trouble maker, I will help you. I know you are a good kid deep inside.”

Hyoyeon smiled happily loving that her mom was here to understand and love her despite all the bad stuff that happened recently, “Are you staying over?”

“Mmm I am at a hotel near here.”

“We should go out to eat. I missed you mommy.”

Ms. Kim brought her daughter into a tight embrace, “Me too. Work was so hectic but I promise we will do a trip together or something on your next break.”

The loving mother and daughter shared a long embrace until the door flew open, “Kim Hyoyeon you are in so much trouble!”

Hyoyeon broke apart from her mom, “Oh no…”

Ms. Kim was also in disbelief of who was on the other side of the door, “Jessica?”

“Mom…”

Noticing who was also in the room, Jessica laughed, “I see I wasn’t the only one called here.”

“Of course not. I am her mom too. Since when did you care about Hyoyeon’s academics? You just take her on fancy trips and buy her everything! You can’t spoil her like that.”

Jessica threw her head back and laughed again, “She is my daughter! I love to spoil her and put her in pretty clothes. And what is academics going to teach her anyway? Do you even know what she is passionate about? You have all these fancy degrees Taeyeon but your life is so boring.”

“At least I got a fancy degree! I worked hard for what I have. Daddy didn’t buy me a company!”

“I started as a normal worker! I proved that I was capable of being a CEO. And I did go to college!”

“Oh please, when we met in university…”

“MOMS! Please stop! Every time you are together this happens! Can we be civil for once?”

Both older women were red with rage but decided to call it a truce for their daughter, “Fine, but I don’t want to be in the same room as her.”

“Like I want to be with you either! Now leave so I can take Hyoyeon out for food.”

“What! I flew all the way over here to see her. You live like down the street. I get to take her out.”

“No way! I dropped a client meeting to see her.”

“Stop! Both of you are taking me out and that is final. I decide the restaurant and I say no more fighting!” Hyoyeon was now the one to get mad a her mothers. They always acted like children around each other.

Both women looked at one another with hate and disgust but agreed nonetheless.

The trio went out to a nearby café and for once Hyoyeon felt like a child again. She remembered when she was little and their family was so happy. They always went out together and her mothers would spoil her with ice cream. Hyoyeon would trade anything in the world to have that happiness again.

She hates that right now they are only tolerating the existence of the other is because she is here.

“I will order the salad no dressing.”

“Cheeseburger with extra fries.”

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes at the drastic food differences too, “Club sandwich.”

“Your orders will be right out.”

“Thank you.”

The youngest mother crossed her legs and crossed her arms looking at her daughter and ex-wife, “Are you two going to tell me what happened?”

The eldest mother continued to sip on her coffee, “Hyoyeon you should explain from the beginning.”

“Ah…mom please don’t get mad.”

“Depends. Tell me what happened.”

“Well mom said she would help…”

“I don’t care what Taeyeon promised you. I want to hear from you what happened.”

Hyoyeon sighed knowing her mother was stubborn, “you see I was in class. This girl said some things to me and I punched her…pulled her hair…and maybe hit her again.”

Leaning forward the youngest mother nodded, “You lost your temper. What did I teach you?”

Biting her lip, Hyoyeon knew her mom disapproved of her actions, “words are stronger than fists.”

“Yes. I see you got your hot temper from your other mother.”

“Yah!” The eldest yelled.

“See. She is hot tempered.”

“Only because you are being a .”

“Yah! Stop the name calling. Geez you two, I said no fighting. We are having a friendly meal.”

“Whatever.” The youngest mother said.

“I said I would handle it Jessica. You can go back to your life and let the mothering be handled by me, like always.”

The other woman laughed sarcastically, “I took care of her just as much as you.”

“You both took care of me well! Okay! I loved that you both gave me so much love. You both gave it to me in different ways and I am glad. What I hated is that you both started fighting. You started to compare everything the other did. There is nothing wrong with mommy Jessica solving issues and building relations with money. That was something she had and knew how to use well. Mommy Taeyeon is so smart and can solve everything with her brain. I admire that too. Despite these differences, you were young once and these small things didn’t matter and somehow loved each other enough to have me. So please be civil for me.”

Both moms looked at one another agreeing that their daughter was right. So they ate their food in quiet. The youngest mother agreed to not get involved in the issue Hyoyeon was involved in but she refused to leave until it was resolved.

When the meal was over, Hyoyeon hugged both of her mother’s goodbye, “I will see you both with the principle tomorrow okay.”

“Love you too honey.” The youngest mother kissed her daughter on the forehead, “we will fix this.”

The eldest mother then pulled her daughter into a bear hug, “I love you. See you tomorrow.”

Hyoyeon waved her parents goodbye as they left in two separate vehicles, “at least they stopped fighting for one meal. That is an improvement.”

 

Jessica was exhausted after a long flight and then seeing her ex. She hated that they always fought but she didn’t know why the lingering anger from years ago always bubbled up. Hyoyeon was right, her and Taeyeon were in love when they were younger. When was it that love turned to hate? She didn’t remember a particular memory…it was just that one fight lead to another and another and another.

“Please! There is no other place in town.” The woman at the check-in counter at the hotel begged.

Jessica rolled her eyes, “Of course she would be here.” With her heals clacking loudly Jessica made her way up to the counter, “I have a reservation under Jung.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I should have known you would stay here.”

“You ran here without a thought and forgot to make a reservation I see.”

“How can you even think about making a reservation when our baby was in trouble?”

“What else am I supposed to do on a 3 hour flight?”

“Whatever.”

Jessica smiled as she was handed her key, “have fun sleeping in your car.”

Taeyeon waved her off, “We will see.”

Jessica laughed that Taeyeon got what she deserved.

The woman went up to her suite and threw her bag to the side before lounging on her couch, “what a day.” She laid back and closed her eyes, but her thoughts went back to the desperate look on Taeyeon’s face when she tried to get a room. Shooting her eyes open, Jessica put her arm over her eyes, “you are doing great for yourself. You don’t miss her…stop these thoughts Jessica…”

Knowing she needed to get her thoughts off of Taeyeon, Jessica took her hotel key and left the room to go to the rooftop bar. Walking up to the counter, Jessica saw a familiar figure drinking away, “I see you are drinking away your woes.”

Taeyeon turned around and scowled at Jessica, “I didn’t get a room.”

“So you are drinking at my hotel bar? Don’t get any ideas. I am not going to take your drunk back to my room.”

“I don’t want your pity either.” Taeyeon took another sip of her wine.

Although Jessica thought of finding a spot at the other end of the bar to enjoy her night, sometimes old habits die hard and Jessica took the empty chair next to Taeyeon, “Whiskey sour please.”

Taeyeon raised her brow, “Wow…something is bothering you? Hard liquor is rare.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “I think you know why. This whole day has been . By the way how are you going to help Hyoyeon?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “It is simple. Another girl taped the whole thing on her phone. Proves that Hyoyeon was acting in self defense. Trivial matters.”

Jessica laughed, “when you talk like a lawyer, it is as if everything is so easy but when you lost your childhood toy when we moved, it was the end of the world.”

Taeyeon nearly choked on her drink, “that was a precious memory. And if I remember right, it was you who forgot that box.”

“I got it back! I can’t imagine hearing you whine and hold that over my head for the rest of my life. Honest mistake.”

Taeyeon laughed at the whole incident. It really was something so trivial at the time, “sometimes I see court cases as something that is black and white. The law is the law…but your memory is a complete mystery.”

Jessica dribbled some of her drink laughing, “I can’t argue with that.” It was strange that they were having a heated argument hours ago but now, they acted like long lost friends. A pang in Jessica’s heart told her not to enjoy this, that she hated Taeyeon… “This was a bad idea.”

Taeyeon finished her wine, “what is?”

Jessica pursed her lips, “this drink. The waiter put too much sour.”

Taeyeon reached over like old habits and tasted the sour drink, “Oh my God! How can you drink that with a straight face. My toes are even curling with how sour that is.” Reaching up, Taeyeon waved the waiter over, “She will have the chocolate martini and I am going to have the cosmopolitan.”

Jessica smiled at Taeyeon for being thoughtful, “still remember my favorite dessert drink.”

“Of course.” Taeyeon smiled back, “hard to forget you puked that on me during our honeymoon.”

Throwing her head back in laughter, Jessica covered trying not to look like a complete fool, “I almost forgot! I just found out how good they were and I couldn’t stop.”

Taeyeon was nearly crying too with laughter, “It was my mistake for mentioning that chocolate could be in drinks.”

When their drinks arrived, Jessica gave a sigh of relief with the taste of milky soft chocolate running down , “that is so good. Why haven’t I ordered this in years.” Jessica stopped talking when she remembered exactly why she stopped drinking chocolate martinis…they reminded her of Taeyeon.

Taeyeon sipped on her new drink, “you are usually a creature of habit. You always order the same thing. I don’t know why you would suddenly change either.”

Jessica kept mum.

Taeyeon liked the sweet drink in her hand and savored it in silence but being with Jessica made her forget that she was a lightweight, “…”

Jessica also finished her drink but saw how red Taeyeon was in the face, “you still can’t handle your liquor.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I only came up for some wine…”

Jessica looked over to the other empty drink, “why did you order another?”

Taeyeon thought for a moment, but she knew it was to keep talking to Jessica, “doesn’t matter.” Waving the bartender over, Taeyeon paid for hers and Jessica’s drinks.

“You didn’t need to do that.”

Taeyeon waved her hands, “small expense. I will umm see you tomorrow. I can’t drink anymore.” When Taeyeon tried to get out of her chair she stumbled backwards, but Jessica was quick to catch her.

“Careful.”

Taeyeon laughed as she tried to stand up and out of Jessica’s embrace, “yea I drank way too much.”

Jessica bit her lip wondering if what she was doing was right, “you are not sleeping in your car are you?”

“I gotta sleep somewhere.”

Jessica took her purse and wrapped Taeyeon’s arm around her shoulder, “don’t be an idiot. I have a suite. It is big enough for both of us.”

“I don’t need your charity.” Taeyeon tried to struggle and get away but Jessica kept her close.

“It isn’t charity. You are drunk and I don’t need some horndog coming around and taking advantage of you.”

Taeyeon smiled broadly as they entered the elevator, “You still care about me.”

“Very very little.”

“Just admit that you still care about me. Not that hard.” Taeyeon was having fun mocking her ex.

Jessica rolled her eyes, “I forgot how annoying drunk Taeyeon was.”

“Oh come on just admit your feelings.”

Jessica struggled to get her key out and open the door with Taeyeon hanging on her but she managed to get them both inside and place Taeyeon on the couch, “Wait here while I get the blankets.”

Of course drunk Taeyeon didn’t wait and wandered around the suite. It was huge. Going around Taeyeon wondered why Jessica needed such a big space. It seemed lonely to stay there alone.

“Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon froze when she saw Jessica coming closer with PJs, “I said to stay on the couch. You never listen. Look the hotel has pajamas for you to wear.”

“The bed looked more comfortable.”

“No no no…I am not sharing that with you.”

Pulling out her cutest look, Taeyeon looked at Jessica with glossy eyes, “but it is a king…super big. You wouldn’t even know I am there.”

Once again Jessica bit her lip knowing the combination of alcohol and Taeyeon’s unique charms would win her over in an instant, but what happened next completely shocked both of them.

Jessica lunged forward and captured Taeyeon’s lips. Sober Taeyeon might have pushed her away remembering why they were divorced in the first place but drunk Taeyeon closed her eyes and savored the tender flesh on her lips, “Mm Jessica…”

Not completely drunk herself, Jessica knew what she was doing was so wrong, but the feeling of something so familiar against her lips and the warmth of Taeyeon’s body filled a gap in her heart. Instead she took the lead and pushed Taeyeon onto the bed.

For a moment they stopped kissing to gaze into one another’s eyes. It was like at that moment they saw their 20-year-old selves. Back to the time when they first realized how much they loved each other.

Slowly Jessica removed her top and Taeyeon gasped as if she saw this glorious body for the first time again. That night, Jessica and Taeyeon were no longer ex-wives. Instead they made love with the thought that the body they were caressing and the kisses they were giving were for a woman that captured her heart years ago. All the familiar brushes of lips and firm hands that brought the same over and over again. They both had a night of renewed bliss.

 

The next morning, Jessica woke up in a long while with a body holding her tight. She knew what they did last night and strangely, Jessica had no regrets being in Taeyeon’s arms again. She really missed this.

Taeyeon groaned as she woke up, “oh God…I have a splitting headache.” Nudging her head in Jessica’s back, Taeyeon tightened her grip on Jessica, “please say you brought medicine.”

Jessica laughed, “I always do but you need to let me go to my bag.”

Taeyeon laughed as she put her leg over Jessica, “a hard choice.”

Jessica started laughing to and pretended to try and get out of bed, “You will never get your headache medicine if you hold me hostage.”

Taeyeon finally released her hold, “as you wish master.”

Jessica got out of bed not caring that she was stark to get Taeyeon medicine. By the time she got back to the bedroom, Taeyeon was sitting up watching her every move, “you are still hot.”

Blushing, Jessica gave Taeyeon the pills, “.”

“Says the one walking around ,” Taeyeon lifted the covered to let Jessica back in, “last night was umm fun.”

Jessica fell back into Taeyeon’s arms when Taeyeon returned under the sheets with Jessica, “Mmm it was.”

Taeyeon liked how normal it felt with Jessica in her arms again, “Hyoyeon can’t know about this.”

“I agree.” Jessica reached down to caress Taeyeon’s bare leg, “not like she would want to know her parents ed.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Yea…”

---------------------

Hyoyeon knew something was off the moment her moms showed up to the parent-dean conference together, “thank you both for coming.”

“Anything for Hyoyeon.” Taeyeon responded.

The dean readjusted her glasses, “as you know, violence is not tolerated here. We have reviewed the case and we think expulsion is good for the safety of the other students.”

“What!” Hyoyeon said in shock.

Taeyeon placed her hand on her daughter’s knee, “Please don’t over react. I have video evidence here proving it was self-defense.”

The dean took the phone and watched the video in silence. Once the video finished, the dean handed back the phone, “Still she used violence. We need to show some kind of punishment.”

Taeyeon hit her hand on the table hard shocking everyone, “listen here. If you don’t drop all accusations from my daughter I am going to sue the out of your school. I can see it now where an innocent girl is expelled for only protecting herself. It is bad publicity to have come out at such a crucial time for recruiting new girls.”

Jessica and Hyoyeon remained still but impressed with Taeyeon’s offensive attack.

The dean was shocked, “I see…” Reading threw the file some more before returning her attention back to the parents, “Hyoyeon this is a warning. Do not make me come find you again.”

Hyoyeon stood up happily and shook the dean’s hand, “Thank you so much! I won’t let you down.”

“For your sake, I hope not.”

Both mothers stood up, “We will make sure she does not. Thank you for your time.”

When the three left the room Hyoyeon quickly hugged her eldest mother, “You were so cool. Thanks for everything.”

Releasing the hug, Hyoyeon went to hug her other mother, “Thanks for coming too. It means a lot.”

The youngest mother hugged her daughter for a long time, “I am glad it is fixed but if this happens again, we will truly punish you.”

Hyoyeon laughed, “Fine fine. Have a safe trip back you two.” Both mothers waved goodbye to their daughter, but Hyoyeon saw another curious site when her mother’s left, “They are leaving in one car?”

Just then Yuri came over to look at whatever Hyoyeon was watching, “Oh your moms are leaving?”

“Yea they are busy right now with work so I told them to go.”

“Why are you watching them so intently?” Yuri took another bite of her banana she was eating.

“Something strange is happening. My moms were at each other’s throat yesterday, but today they are getting in the same car?”

Yuri laughed, “You are so innocent. It is clear why.”

“Really? Why?”

Yuri patted her friend on the shoulder, “It is clear that they ed and made up.”

Hyoyeon’s jaw nearly dropped with the revelation, “No way…”

Yuri nodded, “Yea. That was a fun turn of events.”

Hyoyeon remained rooted on the sidewalk comprehending the gravity of the new situation as every one else went about their day.

 

In the car, Jessica and Taeyeon waved goodbye to their daughter, “I don’t think she suspected a thing.”

Jessica nodded, “I don’t think so either. You were good back there by the way.”

Taeyeon blushed, “years of practice.”

Jessica tapped her phone a bit before turning back to Taeyeon, “My flight isn’t for another 2 hours…and I haven’t checked out of the room yet.”

Taeyeon laughed knowing what Jessica was suggesting, “you paid a lot for that suite. It would be a shame not to use it one last time.”

Both women smiled cheekily knowing they went back into their same old habits once again.