Save Me

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

The wind blew over the long grains of the fields in the countryside of a small county of Southern Jeolla Province. The warmer climate was perfect for the growth of Anjeunbaengi wheat where only a handful of farmers in this county cultivated the Korean delicacy. Within this small county, a small clinic stood alone to help the ailing farmers and their families.

A handful of nurses and a few doctors manned the smaller clinic/emergency care center one of which was a young doctor that moved from Seoul to help the hands that built and fed her country. Although most of her days consisted of ailing stomach aches, the occasional birth or the health of the elderly, she did remember one highlight of her career of saving a farmer’s arm from being amputated. Despite the slower pace of this farming village, the doctor loved what she did.

“Hello nurse Sunny. Did Mr. Choi already leave? I went into the room he was supposed to be in but it was empty.”

“I didn’t see him leave.” Taking the clipboard on the desk, the nurse laughed, “He checked himself out again.”

The doctor chuckled with the nurse, “He has a concussion. I told him to wait for his wife.”

“If you go to the bus stop, he is probably there.”

The doctor nodded, “I should have checked there first when I saw his room was empty. Can you take care of Mrs. Lee while I am gone?”

“Don’t worry doc. I will keep a good eye on her.”

“Thanks. I will be right back.” The doctor went out the door and around the block to the bus stop where she saw Mr. Choi ready to get on the bus but the driver was refusing to take him without a bus pass.

“Mr. Choi where are you going?”

The older man panicked when he saw the doctor, “I am not going back! I want to go home!”

“You will go home when your wife comes. Now come back to the clinic with me while we wait for her okay?” The doctor tried to reason.

“I need to go home now! My wife has dinner waiting.”

“I am sure she does. We should go back to the clinic and tell her you are coming okay?”

The old man thought for a while until he got off the bus, “I should probably call her. She might be worried.”

Gently the doctor took the man’s arm, “come on we should go back and call her then.” The doctor thanked the driver of the bus, “Sorry I will watch him closer next time.”

The two slowly made their way back to the clinic and the doctor put Mr. Choi under close watch by nurse Sunny until his wife came.

It was nearing the end of the day and the night-shift doctor was about to come in when a young woman entered the clinic. Normally the doctor didn’t take notice to those entering her clinic, but this woman was very beautiful and Taeyeon didn’t recognize her. Maybe she was new to the area?

The doctor pretended to fill out a few charts while she overheard the young lady check herself in with the nurse, “Hello…I twisted my ankle. How do I get painkillers. I couldn’t locate the pharmacy.”

“There is a pharmacy located near the supermarket but we can take care of you here. Why don’t you go to patient room 3 and the doctor will be right with you.”

The doctor watched as the patient walked away and into the room, “do you know her?”

Nurse Sunny looked at the information the patient gave her, “Hum the surname doesn’t look familiar. She looks like she jumped out of a movie and into our humble town.”

Taeyeon nodded along, “I haven’t seen someone that beautiful since I left the city.”

“Yah! Are you saying I am not pretty?!”

The doctor laughed, “you are cute. Not pretty. There is a difference.”

The nurse was about to give the doctor a piece of her mind but the doctor quickly left and went to her last patient of the day. Knocking on the door, the doctor warned the patient she would come in, “Hello. I am Dr. Kim. I see here you sprained your ankle. Why don’t I take a look at it?”

The patient was guided to a seat and the doctor elevated the foot.

“So what is your name?”

“Sooyeon.”

Dr. Kim stopped looking at the ankle and stood up, “You have some swelling too so I will wrap it for now. You should put ice on it when you get home too. For now I am prescribing an anti-inflammatory and a mild pain reliever. If you see it turning any colors like black or blue or if the pain persists for more than a week you need to come back here immediately and we will take some x-rays okay?”

The young woman nodded along, “Okay.”

The doctor filled out a few forms and handed the prescription to the patient, “you can give this to the nurse okay?”

“Alright.”

The doctor watched the girl walk out of the room and to the nurse. It was like the doctor was hypnotized by the beautiful woman. She wondered if she would ever see that woman again.

--------------------

Nearly a month went by in the day to day operations of the clinic. The doctor saw the birth of two babies and was overwhelmed by the number of backpains the harvesting season brought to the farmstead folk. She needed to request additional supplies and was worried that wouldn’t get enough for the high demand.

“Have the orders come in yet?”

Nurse Sunny shook her head, “We still have the basic pain medication but the stronger opioids are not here.”

The doctor rubbed the back of her head in frustration, “Can you call again to see when we can get those?”

“I am not sure how much that will help. I’ve called every day.”

Just when the doctor was going to have another meltdown, the door swung open with the return of the beautiful woman the doctor met nearly a month ago. She was stunned that the girl even came back.

The young woman smiled at the doctor but passed her to talk to the nurse, “I had a small accident…and I have this persistent side pain.”

The nurse took down some notes before looking at Dr. Kim, “you are free right now right doctor?”

“Ah yes. Sooyeon correct? Why don’t we go into this room and take a look.” Sooyeon followed the doctor to the empty patient room and shut the door, can you please tell me when you first felt the pain and where it is?”

Sooyeon bit her bottom lip before sighing, “I was careless a few days ago and fell. The pain is here on my side.”

“Do you mind taking off your top so I can take a look?”

Carefully, the patient took off her top revealing a huge black and blue bruise on her left side, “you said to come if there was discoloration. I got worried.”

The doctor’s face contorted in concern as she looked at the ugly mark covering her perfect skin, “it must have been quite a fall. We are going to order a few test and make sure nothing has ruptured. The pain must be great. Why didn’t you come in sooner?”

Sooyeon rubbed her hands as she looked away from the doctor, “I am a teacher…I only have time on the weekends to come in.”

“I see…” The doctor just noticed the ring on her finger, “a-are you married?”

The woman played with her ring on her finger, “yes. He is in sales and on the road…mostly on weekends.”

“Okay.” The doctor thought for a while before taking the clipboard and writing a few things down, “I will need you to change into a gown while I get nurse Sunny to help you get a CT and X-ray. I will see you in a little while okay?”

Sooyeon nodded and took the gown the doctor handed to her, “Thank you Dr. Kim.”

The doctor smiled gently, “If you want, you can call me Taeyeon. This clinic is pretty small and it is strange to hear someone my age refer to me so professionally.” Taeyeon walked out of the room and went to the nurse, “Sunny I would like some regular photos along with these scans.”

“Of course doctor. I will inform you when the pictures are ready.”

“Thank you. Do you have the files for the other patients? I will make rounds while I wait.”

“They are behind the desk. I suggest you meet Mrs. Song first.”

“Alright.” The doctor waited until the nurse left to read over Sooyeon’s file, “she is married. Occupation teacher. Married…no husband name written. Lives near the school…it is a little far away from here?”

Although there were many thoughts floating in her mind the doctor pushed them aside to do her job for the next hour. She had several patients that needed her care. So the doctor went about her day and visited her various patients until Sunny came back in stating the photos were ready.

The doctor went in the radiology room and reviewed the exams, “She might have bruised her kidney. How is she not showing that she is an incredible amount of pain. I want her to stay overnight for observation and we will put her on an IV of morphine to ease the pain. Tomorrow we will redo the CT scan and see if the inflammation and bruising decrease. Prepare the paperwork to check her in.”

“Yes doctor.”

The young doctor went to her patient’s room to tell her the news of her diagnosis, “Sooyeon I have some good and bad news.”

Sooyeon sat up in attention, “i-is something wrong?”

“Not really…well we are worried that you are in an incredible amount of pain. We noticed some damage to your kidney and want to watch you overnight. Also put you on morphine. Nurse Sunny will check you in-“

“No…I can’t stay overnight.” Sooyeon panicked and took her jacket to throw it on over her hospital gown but the doctor stopped her.

“I am sorry but I don’t think it is good if you leave. If something happens to your kidney your life could be at risk. Also you should be in an incredible amount of pain.”

“I really can’t stay…I shouldn’t even be here. I just want the medication and I will get going.”

“Miss please I am just trying to help.”

“I am sorry but please let me go.”

The doctor sighed knowing she couldn’t force her patient to stay so she did the next best thing and wrote down her personal number, “alright but here. This number will get me directly to you. If you feel a sharp pressure near the back you need to call me right away.”

Sooyeon was hesitant to take the number.

“Please. Just take it so I can have a peaceful sleep tonight knowing you will be okay?”

“Okay…” Sooyeon took the paper and moved passed the doctor but stopped right outside the door to turn and face the woman, “thanks.”

Taeyeon sighed in relief and apprehension, “I hope she will be alright.”

When the doctor left the room, she met with her nurse, “I can’t believe she left. That pain medication isn’t enough.”

“I know. I tried but she wanted to leave.”

“I understand. Some people hate hospitals.”

The doctor sighed the chart and handed it back to Sunny, “I am not sure if that is the reason. Can you do me a favor and put a notice out that if she comes back, that I am called immediately?”

“Is something wrong?”

“I am not sure…but time will tell if my hunch is right.” Signing a few more papers, the doctor threw her coat off, “Enjoy the night shift, I am off.”

“Goodnight doctor.”

----------------------------

Every day that went by since she saw the pretty woman, the doctor was nervous. Although she wanted to see her again, the doctor knew if she had another call from her, that she might be in pain or worse…

Shaking her head, the doctor tried to stop her mind from going wild with horrible thoughts, “She is fine…I am sure…It has been weeks so everything should be healed.”

Putting on her coat, the doctor opened her front door to the smell of spring. She loved the countryside in spring. It meant fresh vegetables at the farmers market which was where she was heading. Although she was usually at the hospital most days, Taeyeon enjoyed her time off going into the village and sampling what the farmers were making around her.

Holding her burlap sack, Taeyeon was all smiles walking around each stall and picking out her fruits and vegetables. She also enjoyed talking to the villagers whom she helped in the hospital. It gave Taeyeon a warm fuzzy feeling inside seeing her patients healthy again.

When looking through a collection of melons, someone caught the doctor’s eyes in her peripheral, “It’s her.” Straightening up and wiping off some dust from her pants, the doctor made her way over to the woman, “h-how are you?”

The woman jumped and nearly knocked over a stall full of apples, “Oh my…ah it is you…the doctor…Dr. Kim?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “How kind of you to remember me. It is my day off so if you’d like, you can call me by my first name now.”

The woman adjusted her sunglasses, which were far too big for her head, “T-Taeyeon? Eh it sounds strange because you are my doctor…”

“I get it,” The doctor laughed, “so how are you? I didn’t get a call so are you healing alright?”

“Nothing unusual.”

“How is the bruising?”

“Faded…you know you really do sound like a doctor right now so calling you by your first name…”

“Oh my gosh I didn’t even realize I was doing that!” The doctor laughed, “I was umm you know just worried. It was out of concern…” Taeyeon was trying to justify the interrogation, “sorry. How about we talk about something other than your body…wellbeing? What do you do here…job?”

Sooyeon giggled at the flustered doctor, “I am a substitute at the elementary school.”

“What a fun job!” Taeyeon thought the idea of Sooyeon playing with kids was adorable, “did you start that this year?”

Sooyeon hummed in agreement, “My husband’s job makes us move around a lot. I would love to settle in the town and become a full-time teacher but substitute teaching is all I can do right now. Moving from year to year gets tiring. I want to settle and have a life with the same people around for a long time. Unfortunately, my husband can’t stop traveling.”

“I understand. My father was in sales too. He was gone for long periods of time traveling. It is admirable that you keep moving with your husband.”

Sooyeon rubbed her arm uncomfortably, “Yes…well my husband insisted that I stay by his side.”

The doctor noticed the way Sooyeon shifted from leg to leg as if she was uncomfortable.  Thinking Sooyeon was a private person, Taeyeon quickly changed the topic, “the farmers market! Did you try the bread?”

Sooyeon was startled by the change in conversation but found it enduring, “the wheat here is special right?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly again, “Yes! It is very rare and only grown here. It has a slightly sweeter taste. Come on you have to get the one by the Chois. I don’t play favorites with my patients but they clearly have the best bread here.”

Sooyeon giggled at the doctor. She didn’t know that the other woman was so interesting, “is it strange seeing your patients outside of the hospital? I mean this town is so small.”

“Not really. I see everyone around me here as friends. It is better than the city.”

“Really?”

“Yes. There was so many unnecessary politics involved in the hospital that I felt it took away from the patient care. The small towns don’t have that kind of bureaucracy. I can just do what I like and that is making other people’s lives better.” Taeyeon smiled knowing she loved what she was doing now. The pay might be lower but she feels at home in this town.

The women went from stall to stall trying out the baked good and making sure they got the best vegetables to cook later. As they went around, they made small talk and just enjoyed the kindling of a new friendship until it was time for the market to close, “why are they closing so early?”

“They have families too haha. They always close up before lunch to go home and make a meal for their families who were working out in the field this whole time. Make sure you come here earlier next time.”

Sooyeon smiled, “will you be here next week?”

“Of course! This is where I get all my food.”

“I will see you here next week then.”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “it is a date. Also be careful so I don’t see you prematurely in my hospital.”

Sooyeon giggled, “I will try not to.” Without a thought, Sooyeon turned to leave but was stopped suddenly as she accidentally ran into another man causing her sunglasses to fallout and one bag of food dropped onto the ground.

“Oh my. Sooyeon are you okay?” Taeyeon ran over to help her new friend out, but she stopped in her tracks seeing the ugly mark on her face, “Sooyeon…are you okay?”

Quickly Sooyeon located her sunglasses and put them on, “It is nothing.”

Taeyeon handed over Sooyeon’s bag of groceries, “That didn’t look like nothing.”

“I am just clumsy…”

Taeyeon furrowed her brows in worry, “Hey if you need to talk, I have patient doctor confidentiality. I just want to help if…”

“No! Nothing is wrong. Everything is fine.” Sooyeon grabbed the bag out of Taeyeon’s hand and hurried off to the bus stop.

Taeyeon stood idle watching Sooyeon disappear again.

------------------------------

Taeyeon had a hard time focusing on her work that day with her thoughts of what transpired over the weekend. She had a great time with Sooyeon but the girl hadn’t contacted her since. She must have been embarrassed for Taeyeon to see the mark on her face.

“You look glum.”

Taeyeon turned around to her nurse, “just thinking.”

Sunny sat next to the doctor with a cup of coffee, “you can share with me if you’d think that would lift the burden a bit.”

Taeyeon sighed, “my hunch was right.”

Sunny cocked her head, “which one?”

“The woman that came in a while back,” the doctor leaned back in her chair, “she is getting abused. I saw her this weekend and her face was reddened like someone slapped her…her eye was black and blue too. The bruising on her abdomen, ankle and now this. It all points to abuse.”

Sunny sipped her coffee thinking, “are you going to report it?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “I want to do something but you know…I can’t.”

“I get it. That woman needs to step up and report it herself.”

“She won’t even admit that it is abuse.”

“Most woman won’t. But that is the only way it will end.”

“So what should I do?”

“I guess just be a good friend and doctor. Didn’t you get taught something in med school about abuse cases?”

“Well yea but it feels different. Like this is something happening to a close friend of mine. I could tell her that everything would be fine and she needs to report it but now…I just don’t think that is what she wants to hear from me.” Taeyeon confessed.

“You will have to wait then.”

“What if she gets seriously injured in that time?” Taeyeon was still worried something much worse will happen to Sooyeon.

“We will have to hope it won’t.” Sunny got out of her chair and gently patted Taeyeon’s back, “try not to think about it. She will come if she needs you.”

Taeyeon shook her head not wanting to wait until she is rushed to her ER.

---------------------

Taeyeon looked at the slip of paper in her hands and up the small house, “I can’t stay out of it.”

Knocking on the door, Taeyeon waited until Sooyeon opened the door but was quick to step out of the house and close the door, “What are you doing here?”

“I needed to talk to you.” Confessed although she was sure Sunny was right now with the frantic look on Sooyeon’s face.

“You need to leave.” Sooyeon was hoping Taeyeon would go off and leave but the other woman stood there on the step, “Please. I can’t have you here…”

Taeyeon was about to say something but the door swung open, “Baby who is at the door?”

Taeyeon looked up to the tall and very muscular man. No doubt Taeyeon was intimidated by his build.

“O-oh this is Dr. Kim. She is from the hospital.”

“Really?” The man took a step forward and put his arm around Sooyeon, “is there something you need doctor?”

Taeyeon’s eyes darted around trying to think of an excuse, “I ah umm.”

“She is here about the bake sale.”

The man looked at his wife curiously, “Bake sale?”

Taeyeon also looked at Sooyeon curiously. She didn’t know anything of a bake sale.

“Yes. Bake sale. To raise money for the clinics. You know this is such a small town so donations are good for the local clinics.” Sooyeon was hoping her husband would buy her fib.

“Really? We don’t need baked goods but.” The man reached into his pocked and pulled out some money, “I am happy to contribute to the community.”

Taeyeon wanted to be angry at the man but his charming smile and a wad of money in her hand made her forget why she was so mad at him in the first place, “t-thank you…”

“Glad to help.” The man beamed before turning back to his wife, “Come on Sooyeon let’s go back inside. Our show is on.”

“G-go ahead. It would be impolite not to send the doctor off.”

The man bent down and kissed Sooyeon on the head, “okay. Nice to meet you doctor.”

“Likewise…” Taeyeon squeaked out.

When the man was back in the house, Sooyeon glared at Taeyeon, “please don’t make this a habit Dr. Kim. I don’t want a house call.”

“Yes mam.” Taeyeon felt so small under Sooyeon’s glare. Holding out the money, “Did you want this back?”

Sooyeon shook her head, “No. Donate it somewhere. Now goodnight Dr. Kim.”

Taeyeon hated herself for doing this now, “I will be going.” The door slammed in her face and Taeyeon hit her head a few times, “You are so stupid. Now she hates me.”

Dejected, Taeyeon walked all the way back home instead of taking the bus.

---------------------------

The doctor wasn’t surprised when she didn’t see Sooyeon at the farmers market nor the hospital, but she still couldn’t get her mind off the woman. She knew Sooyeon needed help but what was she to do if the woman didn’t want her help?

“And you have a post surgery…doctor are you listening?”

Taeyeon stopped daydreaming and brought her attention onto Sunny, “what?”

“I was reviewing your schedule for the day. I don’t know what is going on in your personal life but you need to focus on your work here. The patients need a doctor that is here.”

Sunny’s words stung but she knew the nurse had everyone’s interest in mind, “I am focused.”

“Didn’t seem like it to me.”

“Well I am. Nothing out of the ordinary in my personal life either.”

“Good to know,” Sunny handing over a few charts, “now go make your rounds.”

Taeyeon sighed one last time before going about her day. She had a couple patients that had surgery within the last week and a few follow-up appointments with her elderly patients. It was what was looking to be a slow day. Not that it wasn’t a good thing that everyone in the town was going around living a healthy life.

“Okay. I will do these two first and come back later.”

Just then a young man came bursting into the hospital carrying a young woman, “Please help!”

Taeyeon dropped the charts and ran over to the boy, “Put her on that cart there.”

The young man was frantic, “I-I didn’t see her. I didn’t mean to!”

Taeyeon was about to check the vitals of the unconscious patient but Taeyeon stopped, “Sooyeon…” Turning back to the boy, Taeyeon demanded, “Tell me exactly what happened!”

“I was driving my truck. You know the season was dry so all the dust made the back roads hard to see. Before I knew it, she walked right in front of my truck. I slammed on my breaks but I still…doctor please tell me she will be okay?!”

“Sunny call the team to assemble in the surgical suite. Tell them it feels like a ruptured spleen and ribs broken on 9 and 10 of the left side.” Taeyeon quickly put her stethoscope on and checked her lung and heart function which seemed to be okay.

Sunny called over, “the team is in place.”

Taeyeon and Sunny worked together to rush the girl over to surgery. Knowing it was a minor operation, Taeyeon scrubbed up and did the one thing she wish she didn’t have to do. Perform surgery on someone she cared for.

Sunny waited outside the surgical suite with the boy and the police. She listened in as the boy gave his statement and the police admitted that this was an accident. Looking through Sooyeon’s file, Sunny called the emergency contact number but it went to voicemail.

It was agonizing to wait but Sunny knew Sooyeon was in good hands.

Several hours passed before Taeyeon emerged from the suite, “how is she.”

“Fine. I patched her up but she had fractured a few more ribs too. It will be a long painful heal.”

“I am relieved she is okay. I tried calling her emergency contact but there was no response.”

Taeyeon clenched her fist in anger. She knew Sooyeon’s husband must have been her emergency contact and the man didn’t have the balls to pickup, “it is fine. I will stay the night.”

“Are you sure? The night team is capable of handling any unforeseen situations.”

Taeyeon cocked her head from side to side, “yea. I want to. I will go get something to eat while they finish cleaning up.”

Taeyeon went to the rest room of the hospital and took a shower. She felt filthy having to see Sooyeon’s blood on her hands. No matter how much she washed and scrubbed, Taeyeon didn’t feel 100% clean.

Changing into her street clothes, Taeyeon went to the nurse station and found out Sooyeon’s room number in the critical care unit. There Sooyeon was sleeping peacefully not knowing that she was going to wake up in a suffocating pain.

Taeyeon scooted over a chair and sat next to the bed, “what were you doing alone?” Reaching out, Taeyoen took Sooyeon’s hand into her own, “you have no idea how worried I get for you. Can’t you see that I want to help? That I care for you?”

Of course the woman didn’t answer so Taeyeon continued to watch the woman breath in and out until she passed out from her stressful day.

In the morning, Taeyeon was shook awake when Sooyeon started thrashing in the bed. Due to her ribs, Sooyeon gasped for air as if her lungs were crushed but it was just so painful to breath and Sooyeon started panicking.

Taeyeon quickly got up and changed her morphine bag to give the woman quick relief, “Are you okay?”

Sooyeon adjusted herself in the bed to look at the doctor, “what is going on?”

“You got hit by a car.”

“No…not that…why didn’t I die?”

Taeyeon’s heart sank, “don’t worry you weren’t injured that bad.”

Sooyeon didn’t look up, “I wanted to die.”

With those last words, Taeyeon could feel the blood rush from her body, “w-what?”

“I stepped in front of that truck. I can’t take it…” Sooyeon tried to sob, but the pain in her ribs were so great that she tried to hold it back and choked on her tears instead.

Taeyeon stood up and sat on the bed to hold the crying girl gently in her arms, “don’t say that. Don’t every say that again.”

Sooyeon continued to cry until her tears dried out and she collected herself again.

Taeyeon was there with a box of tissues, “You came in with a ruptured spleen, 2 broken ribs and 4 fractured ribs. You were lucky.”

“I don’t feel lucky.”

Taeyeon’s face twisted in concern and disgust, “can you tell me what happened from the beginning? Please?”

Sooyeon dabbed her eyes with the tissue, “I am embarrassed.”

Reaching, Taeyeon took Sooyeon’s hand again, “patient doctor confidentiality remember?”

Finally letting out a small smile, Sooyeon squeezed Taeyeon’s hand, “I was home…it was quiet but then my husband came back from his business trip. He had been gone for nearly a week by this time. I don’t know why he was drunk but he stumbled in and took hold of me. He started accusing me of cheating on him when he was away. That he should have forced me to come with him on the trip. That I was stupid for…needing to work.” Sooyeon stopped when she had trouble breathing again.

Taeyeon stood up and monitored the morphine, “just relax. Slow short breaths.”

Doing as the doctor instructed, Sooyeon took a few small breaths and felt the warm hand of the doctor’s on her own, “He was not always that way. I thought he loved me…wanted to spend time with me, but whenever he had to leave, I had to come with. I quit my job as a teacher to please him. It got worse. He started drinking and would get violent. Like he was making up scenarios in his head of me sneaking out or cheating the few days he was gone. Then he would apologize. I still loved him…I still believed him.”

“Sooyeon that isn’t love…”

“I know that now. But it was so hard to leave you know…he was always there. I was afraid he would get more angry if I ran away, but I can’t take the pain anymore. I feel like a prisoner…so when I saw that truck coming I thought this was my chance. This was my chance to escape.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say or how to console her. Clearly Sooyeon saw death as her only way to get away from him, “I won’t let him hurt you anymore.”

“You are just saying that.”

“No. I will protect you. In fact, I will get security here to guard your door for the time being and we will go to the police.”

Taeyeon got up and called the nurse explaining the situation, “See. Even if he comes, he can’t get in here.”

“Taeyeon…you can’t protect me forever. Even if I heal, even if I get him put away, he will come back. I know he will.”

Taeyeon returned to the bed, “Let me try at least. It broke my heart seeing you get carried in here almost like you died in that boy’s arms. I will do anything to not have to see that ever again.”

Sooyeon could feel the warmness radiating from Taeyeon’s eyes and soft voice, “okay…”

The doctor was overjoyed with the fact that Sooyeon finally agreed to help. It was just in time as a huge commotion was heard outside of the critical care room, “I am going to go see what is going out there.”

Taeyeon was about to leave when Sooyeon tugged on her hand, “I don’t want you to go.”

Patting Sooyeon’s hand, Taeyeon smiled, “I will be right back okay?” Getting up, Taeyeon walked over to the door where she saw the security officers holding down Sooyeon’s husband, “So it was you.” Taeyeon carefully closed the door of the room and stepped towards the security officers.

“I know you! You are the doctor that came to our home. Tell these guys to get off of me! I am her husband!”

Taeyeon bent down to the man on the floor, “listen carefully, I know what you did to her. This is my first and last warning. Stay away from her.”

The man’s face contorted in anger, “what right do you have to tell me that? I am her husband…and you…what are you? Just a doctor of a rural clinic.”

Taeyeon stood back up, “I am not the one in handcuffs and I will make sure you are in those for a long time after what you did to Sooyeon.” Not wanting to see that man’s face ever again, Taeyeon went back into the room where she finally released the breath she was holding in.

“It was him right?”

Taeyeon pushed herself off the door, “Yea but he is under arrest.”

Sooyeon was surprised, “Really?”

“Yea causing a scene in a hospital is going to cost him at least 1 night in jail. If you testify to police, we can get him in there longer for domestic abuse.”

“I don’t know if I want to do that…”

Taeyeon went back to sitting on the bed, “Sooyeon you are the only one that can stop this. I will make the call to the sheriff if you want. I will also testify that all your bruising and hospital visits are consistent with abuse. I will do anything to help you.”

“If you think that will make it all stop. I just want it to stop…”

“I will help you make that pain go away.”

--------------------------------

The next weeks Sooyeon recovered in the hospital with Taeyeon. During this time, Sooyeon saw the doctor show her a very cute side and a very professional side that made the doctor even more charming.

Taeyeon warmed her hands a bit, “Sorry if my hands are a little cold.”

“It is okay.”

Lifting up Sooyeon’s shirt, the doctor felt the healing ribs, “It doesn’t hurt as much right?”

“No. It feels almost normal on that side.”

“Your fractures are healing really well.” Taeyeon switched to the other side of Sooyeon’s abdomen causing the later to flinch, “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. I know you are doing your job.”

Taeyeon carefully inspected the broken ribs with her fingers ghosting along the soft white skin, “Humm these broken ribs are going to take a lot longer to heal. I think we are in the clear of you developing pneumonia but you never know. Just take it easy.”

“Okay.”

Taeyeon wrote a few things down on her clipboard before hanging it back up on the bed, “So there is something I need to talk to you about Sooyeon.”

“What is it?”

“I am sure you know this hospital isn’t very big.” Taeyeon shifted on her feet a bit, “It isn’t like I want to do this but I can’t have you here much longer. Medically, you are cleared to go home now.”

“I see…”

Taeyeon looked around and closed the door before hanging her stethoscope up before sitting on the bed next to Sooyeon, “I don’t want you to go back to your home. I can have an officer accompany you to your home to get your stuff but I think it is better if you stay with me.”

“Oh…I didn’t…”

“I will take care of you well. I can make sure you are healing well and make sure you are safe. He has no idea where I live. You will be safe.”

Sooyeon looked away out of the window, “I wish I didn’t have to leave…”

“I know that my house doesn’t have a guard outside the door like here, but I know it is safe. My neighbors don’t know I live there either because of my crazy hours here.”

“But you won’t be around?”

“Not during the day…no. But every night I will come back. I won’t do any crazy shifts during the time you are at my place.”

Sooyeon reached out to the one thing that brought her comfort the whole time she was in the hospital, “Okay.”

Taeyeon squeezed Sooyeon’s hand, “Thanks.”

Smiling, Sooyeon  was finally feeling the warmth in her heart that she was missing these past few weeks, but was it okay to feel this relaxed and comfortable like this?

“We will go back to my place together after my shift okay?”

“Alright.”

Taeyeon patted the cold hand in hers, “Good. Now rest. My shift won’t be over for a few hours.”

Sooyeon was feeling tired after all so she fell asleep with the sound of Taeyeon’s gentle voice in her head.

-------------------------

Taeyeon had her hand on Sooyeon’s back guiding her into the small house near the hospital, “At first I thought having a guest room was useless because I never had guests to invite over so I am glad you are making use of this room.”

Sooyeon smiled at the simple home, “I can tell you are a doctor just by your home.”

“Really?”

Sooyeon giggled, “Yea. The only decoration you have here is the books lying around.”

Taeyeon joined the other in laughter, “I never noticed. I rarely have anyone over.”

“It’s okay. I think it is perfect.”

Taeyeon continued to get Sooyeon into the bed, “glad you like it. I am going to make dinner. If you are uncomfortable…”

“I will call you over if I need anything.”

“Good.”

Sooyeon shifted in the bed and looked around the room, “Although this room is empty, it still feels more like a home…” At this time, Sooyeon finally admitted that she was very thankful to be in this town because Taeyeon was here to save her.

“Is everything okay here. Oh…I should get you something to do. Umm I don’t have a TV so any books of interest?”

Sooyeon thought for a second, “I actually don’t know what is out to read right now.”

“I will get something for you.”

Just as Taeyeon was about to leave, Sooyeon called out to her, “Taeyeon…”

“Yes?”

“I just wanted you to know how thankful I am…you didn’t have to you know…help me like this.”

“I am happy to.”

That was the start of Sooyeon and Taeyeon living together.

Each thankful to have one another.

For the month it took for Sooyeon to get healthy, they grew closer and closer and both slowly forgot their worries about Sooyeon’s husband.

Now that Sooyeon was nearly healthy, Taeyeon finally took the woman out to have some fresh air.

“I miss the farmers market!” Sooyeon spun around happily.

“Yah! Be careful. What if you fall!”

Sooyeon gently jabbed Taeyeon’s shoulder, “you are no fun. Stop being so serious doctor.”

Taeyeon reached down to take Sooyeon’s hand, “There you can skip and turn around now that I got you in case you fall.”

Sooyeon smiled, secretly loving the way Taeyeon took care of her like this. She was truly happy at this moment. It was like a weight was lifted off her shoulders with Taeyeon by her side.

“There is the farmers market. What did you want to get for the house?”

“I have been craving berries.”

“I think strawberries are in season right now? We should get some.”

“Yes!”

Taeyeon and Sooyeon entered the farmers market greeted by all the locals. Most of them noticed Taeyeon was gone for a while so they chatted with her for a while about her whereabouts. Of course Taeyeon couldn’t disclose that she was taking care of Sooyeon so she admitted she was busy at the clinic during the past month.

Sooyeon went about the market on her own trying out the new crops for the season. She really missed this.

Reaching for another strawberry, someone grabbed Sooyeon’s wrist, “You thought you could hide on me.”

The blood drained from Sooyeon’s face seeing her husband holding onto her tight.

“W-what are you doing here…”

“You really didn’t think I would know that you come here on the weekends. I almost gave up when I didn’t see you here for weeks, but look at this. You came back like always. Now come with me.”

Sooyeon resisted, “I don’t want to.”

The man pulled Sooyeon closer until they were face to face, “You are coming with me and that is final. You are my wife!”

Taeyeon heard a commotion behind her so she turned around to see what was happening. There she saw Sooyeon’s husband pulling her around the market so she quickly ran over and shoved the man, “Leave her alone.”

The man reached up to smack the doctor in the face, “Get away from us!”

Taeyeon got off the ground slowly ready to tackle the man again, but a group of farmers were gathering around the man, “Sir if the doctor said you need to let that young lady go, you better do as she says.”

Sooyeon’s husband looked around at the locals in disgust, “That doctor is nuts! This woman here is my wife and I am taking her back home.”

Taeyeon finally got up, “I won’t let you! You treat her like scum. I won’t have you hit her ever again.”

Sooyeon's husband effortlessly pushed Taeyeon away again but there was a kind man behind her to lift her up, “Doctor is this true?”

“Yes. He nearly killed her.”

The mob of locals closed in on Sooyeon’s husband causing him to lash out in more anger, “Get away from us!”

“Sir I think it is best you let that lady go before we make you.”

“You are all crazy!”

Sooyeon’s husband threw out the first punch to one of the villagers, but the largest man came forward and tackled him to the ground causing Sooyeon’s husband to finally let go of Sooyeon.

Shaken, Sooyeon ran over and into Taeyeon’s arms, “are you alright?”

Sooyeon felt the pain in her wrist, “I might have sprained my wrist.”

Taeyeon reached down to kiss the spot, “better?”

Sooyeon smiled and buried her face in Taeyeon’s neck, “I told you he would come back.”

Taeyeon watched as Sooyeon’s husband tried to attack all the farmers that were surrounding him, “I don’t think you need to worry much.”

Sooyeon lifted her head and watched as the locals quickly subdued her husband.

“Sir I think it is time you leave our village. You are no longer welcome here. And this young lady here is under our protection from now on.”

“Screw you!”

“Sir we are being nice. It won’t be the same if you come back.”

Sooyeon’s husband groaned in pain from the local on his back, “Fine. I will leave.”

Sooyeon let go of Taeyeon to her husband, “Also, I want a divorce. This marriage is not working.”

“No…” Sooyeon’s husband refused so the farmer twisted his arm harder, “Ahhhhh fine fine fine. I will sign the papers.”

Sooyeon smiled triumphantly, “Good. Now move out of my house and never come back.”

The farmers finally let the man go, “This isn’t over…”

The farmers didn’t like the answer so with a quick blow, one of them knocked him out cold, “Mam we are going to take him to the police. If you would like those divorce papers signed, you should go there. Also, any friend of Dr. Kim, is a friend of ours. We will make sure this man never comes back to our home again. As long as you stay here, we keep you safe.”

Sooyeon smiled happily knowing she found a community that was there for her, “Thank you…thank you all.”

Taeyeon reached down to hold Sooyeon’s hand, “I will keep my promise to make sure you are safe, always.”

Sooyeon was so touched she started crying, “It is more than I could ever ask…”

“Would strawberries make it better?”

Sooyeon laughed, “of course.”

Taeyeon pulled out her wallet to pay for the strawberries but the lady at the stand refused the money, “just take them.”

“Thank you.” Taeyeon took the strawberries and put them in her pack. Then one by one, the farmers came up giving Taeyeon and Sooyeon some of their goods.

“Here have this bread.”

“These are some of the best peppers.”

“The flower would look beautiful on the young lady.”

Taeyeon nearly chocked up at the locals’ generosity after a time of fear and pain, “Thank you all so much. We are happy to pay for these items.”

One of the eldest farmers came forward, “No Dr. Kim, you take care of us so much. Let us help you and this young lady for once. You seem to need this more than us.”

Taeyeon sniffled back her tears, “I will make sure to always take care of you.”

Sooyeon smiled happily at how everything turned out. Her husband was gone, the locals vowed to keep him away and Sooyeon still had Taeyeon by her side with a bag full of the finest goods in town.

“It looks like we have enough for a picnic.”

Taeyeon looked through the bag, “I can’t believe they gave us all of this. I love taking care of them…I didn’t expect anything like this in return.”

“So picnic?”

Taeyeon smiled, “yea. I know just the spot.”

 

Jessica gasped at the view, “I can’t believe this has been here the whole time and I just found about it now. You should have taken me here earlier.”

Taeyeon laughed while setting up the spread of goods on the grass, “You were injured for a long time if you forgot. I am surprised you made it up the hill just now.”

Jessica took in the beautiful wheat fields in the background, “It is like the earth is layered in gold.”

Taeyeon stood up and went over to Sooyeon, “It is. These crops feed our country. I think it is more valuable than gold.”

Jessica breathed in the crisp air, “At this moment, I don’t think I could be happier.”

Taeyeon took one step forward to take Sooyeon’s hand in her own, “Me too. I couldn’t be happier than right now.”

Sooyeon looked down at their hands clasped together, “these months were filled with so many up and downs. I am glad it was you who was by my side this whole time.”

Taeyeon smiled brightly, “I told-“ Just then, Sooyeon leaned forward and kissed Taeyeon on the lips, “oh…”

Sooyeon giggled at the shocked doctor, “I am very thankful.”

Taeyeon was still slightly shocked, “h-happy to help.”

Sooyeon cupped Taeyeon’s blushing face in her hands, “for a long time I lost the meaning of love. Thank you for making me find what it feels like to find love with warmth and comfort. Taeyeon I am saying that I think I love you.”

Taeyeon looked Sooyeon in the eyes to see them glimmering with apprehension, “m-me too.”

Once more their lips touched. Both finding comfort in one another. Both learning what love was.

 

 


Happy Birthday Jessica!