It Started With A...

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

It started with a tissue. I was crying on the stairs next to the gymnasium after a group of bullies kicked a ball into my face. Logical thing to do would be to go to the nurse like I told the teacher, but how could I show the school my tears of embarrassment as I walked down that hallway? I couldn’t...this school may be the cause of my tears, but I didn’t...no I couldn’t let them see that they won. I won’t let them see that they broke me and that I was scared to walk into this school day after day. But like I said, it started with a tissue.

I looked up at the white cloth being handed to me, “That was low.” Confusion was written on my face as I stared at the girl offering me an act of kindness, “want me to help you get them kicked out of this place?”

Some would say that it is the smallest and most unexpected things that can change your life. I didn’t know at the time that this one act of kindness (a tissue) would be my saving grace, “Who are you?”

The girl ignored my request and hesitance as she sat next to me whilst dabbing my moist eyes, “I see that ball made you lose a bit of your memory.” The girl pointed down to her nametag, “It says Jung but you can call me Jessica.” I blankly looked up at the girl but I still didn’t know who she was, “If you have forgotten, I transferred into your class a month ago.”

I studied her face a bit longer until I remembered that she sat somewhere in the back of the classroom, “Sorry...”

“No biggie...it seems like you have other things on your mind most of the time anyway.”

I finally had the courage to take the cloth away from the girl to clear away the water blocking my vision, “Thank you.”

The girl leaned back on her hands as she looked up at the sky, “I can get them kicked out if you want though. Just say the word.”

I scoffed before looking back at the girl who was enjoying the softness of the breeze as it flowed through her golden locks, “I doubt it. Eunjung is the leader of those girls and her father is the Chief of Justice. No one would dare cross her.”

Jessica let out a stubborn sigh, “There is always a way to tame spoiled brats like that.” The girl turned to look at me, “Is that a yes?”

I tilted my head in wonder, “Yes to what?”

A wide smile adorned the girl’s face, “I will take it as a yes,” before she stood up abruptly, “See you around Kim.”

I looked down at my nametag once I figured out how she knew my name and then gazed at the girl retreating into the school, “Strange.”

--------------------------

The second time, it started with a call to the principal’s office...not my name but Eunjung. The whole class gasped in shock although Eunjung sported a confident look as she made her way out of her seat. While the other students watched Eunjung leave the classroom, I turned my attention to Jessica who was staring right back at me with a smug grin on her face.

 

When the bell rang, I quickly approached Jessica, “Did you do something?”

The girl smiled, “I haven’t the slightest idea what you are referring to Kim.”

I huffed in annoyance before taking the girl’s wrist and leading her away from the rest of the students, “Follow me.” It took only a matter of minutes until we reached the rooftop, “Tell me what you did.”

Jessica was a little surprised by my demanding tone, “You told me to get her kicked out so I did just that.”

I rubbed my temples in frustration, “I didn’t tell you to do anything.”

The girl walked up to me and removed my hands from my head as she looked straight into my eyes, “You may have not said it with words but your eyes were desperately calling out for my help.”

I stared right back at her while I studied the sincerity and confidence brewing in her own eyes, “Okay...”

Jessica slowly let go of my wrists, “some people deserved to be punished...but you are not one of them.”

I looked up at the girl as she backed away and walked away. How did she know so much about me? Almost like she was hearing the desperate pleas I cried for the past two years in this hellhole.

-------------------------------------

It was quiet. So quiet that I looked over my shoulders several times to see if there was something going on around me without my knowledge but nothing suspicious caught my eye. For one week, I have had no bullies come up to me, no smitten words said behind my back, and no real reason to think I was miserable.

“How you doing Kim?”

I looked up from my lunch tray in surprise, “You shouldn’t sit here.”

The girl looked around, “Why not? Your table is empty and I need my space.”

I decided to help out the clueless girl, “Look...this table is for kids that get outcasted for not being rich. Get out before you become a target.”

The girl merely shrugged and stuffed the sandwich into , “Don’t worry about me Kim. I do alright on my own.”

Once again, I found myself staring suspiciously at the girl, “Who are you exactly?”

The girl gave a quick smile, “I already told you, I am Jessica Jung. J-U-N-G.”

I shook my head, “Not YOU, but your family or father?”

“That is such a boring subject. I was trying to get you interested in me and not my father. He is a bit old for you I think.”

“I don’t want to date your father?!” I said in a hushed voice.

“Well then, no need to get to know him.”

I was astonished, “You know you are a bit strange?”

Once again, the girl just shrugged, “Maybe you think I am because you are a bit boring? I see you reading most of the day. If you look up every so often, you might see something you like.”

The girl took a few more bites of her sandwich before setting it down, “See you around Kim.”

-------------------------------

Surely I thought the girl was joking around when she mentioned to see me again but here I was staring straight at her, “What do you want from me?”

The girl smiled, “What are you doing after school?”

I raised my brow in surprise, “Cram classes.”

Jessica leaned on my desk, “Do you want to skip?”

“Every day but I can’t.”

“I doubt one day would hinder your IQ. Everyone knows you are the top of the class.”

“Why do you keep bothering me?” I didn’t mean my words to sound so harsh but I really didn’t understand why Jessica took a keen interest in me. When girls in the school took a liking to me, it lead to bullying. Although, she had a different look in her eyes than the others.

“There is a movie and I don’t want to go alone. Come with me?”

I looked around the room to a class of students busying themselves with various activities while we had our study break, “Can’t you ask one of your other friends?”

“Other friends?”

I scoffed, “I am sure you have other friends.”

“Why would you assume I have other friends?”

“Because....I am sure you have.”

Jessica leaned down closer, “Tell me Kim. Why would I have other friends?”

“I just assumed with...you being charismatic and pretty...”

Jessica returned my compliment with a sly grin, “I don’t have time for fake people.”

Once again I found myself examining the room with students. Most were here based on their parents influence or money. There was only a few of us, like me, who came based on excellence academically or artistically. In reality, they didn’t identify as themselves, but what their parent’s achieved. Jessica was right, all these people were fakes; Living life based on someone else.

“I will see you after school Kim.” I could only stare blankly at the retreating girl. Did she really just answer for me?

-------------------------------

After school I was cursing at myself for being so stupid standing outside with my hands in my pocket, “Did you wait long?”

I almost jumped in shock, “Not really.”

“Good! Let’s go then.”

I looked ahead at the girl skipping down the road happily. I hardly gave chances to strangers and girls from out school due to my inability to trust their judgement and choices, but here I was blindly following a stranger and girl from my school. I was stupid.

As we walked down the street I wondered why we were not taking some fancy car or even a taxi since the theater was about 10 blocks away. These rich girls that I went to school with, I would never imagine them walking two feet without a chauffeur. Not like I knew much about Jessica though.

When we arrived at the theater, I eyed out the girl who opened the door for me, “T-thanks.”

Without answering, she followed me into the cinema and flashed out two tickets so we could enter. Casually, Jessica went up to the snack stand and looked at me, “Want something?”

I dug my hands into my pockets only feeling a few coins. Not enough for something, “No thanks.”

Jessica raised her brow, “I will get some popcorn.”

I just nodded as I stood aside looking at the random movie posters as the girl got her snacks. Before I knew it, a cold drink was shoved in my hands, “What is this?”

Jessica just rolled her eyes, “It was a two for one drink with the big popcorn...but you will have to help me finish this big tub. I can’t eat it all by myself.”

I looked back at the snack stand to see if the girl was telling me the truth about the two for one deal, but I saw none. I wanted to voice out my frustrations that I don’t accept favors, but as soon as I saw Jessica smiling in her own victory, I just shoved the straw into my mouth and enjoyed the sweet soda.

The two of us got adjusted into our seats just in time for the previews to start. With the movie just a matter of minutes from beginning, I my lips in anticipation of the popcorn just in my reach. I loved movies and popcorn just like any other teenager but with the lack of funds to go to the theaters, I never had the luxury until now. And that was when it started with two buttery hands meeting in the midst of kernels of popcorn.

“S-sorry.” Jessica said shyly as she retreated her hands.

I felt a wave of nervousness wash over me so I stuffed a handful of popcorn into my mouth as I returned my attention to the screen. The rest of the movie, I wasn’t focused on whether the girl was going to get the boy in the end, but whether or not our hands would meet in the bucket of popcorn once again. Our hands did not.

At the end of the movie, I saw Jessica sniffle a bit, “the movie was sad.”

Honestly I had no idea how the movie ended, “Yea.” I responded as I watched the girl next to me wipe away a few stray tears. I noticed then that I saw her more than just another girl from my school. She was different, but why was she?

“Do you want to go shopping Kim?”

I looked up at the girl while walking out of the theater, “Ah...I should go home.”

Jessica looked a bit deflated but she quickly recovered to give me a smile back, “Maybe another time.”

I nodded hoping there would be another time but I couldn’t really picture myself going through stores that had products costing more than my parent’s home, “I will see you at school.”

I didn’t look back as I went to the bus stop.

------------------------------------

After the movie date, I didn’t find it hard to become friends with Jessica. She was always the one initiating the conversations and following me from one destination to another, but I liked that. Every day I was hoping she would come and find me or tell me about the latest school scandal but as I grew accustom to her company, I knew something would go wrong.

“What is with Jung?”

“You mean that American girl? Jessica?”

“Yea. She is always hanging out with the poor kid.”

“Oh you mean Kim Tae...Tae?”

“Whatever her name is, why is Jung always with her?”

“Maybe she feels bad for her. Like charity. My mom does that so she doesn’t feel so guilty for cheating on my father.”

“Or? Maybe Jung has a grudge against the girl?”

“Why would you say that?”

“Well, you do know what happened to Eunjung? You know why she had to leave?”

“Everyone knows that her father relocated to a different district.”

“Yea but do you know why?” The girls shook their heads, “I heard that Jessica’s father is a gang lord and had dirt on Eunjung’s father. Eunjung’s family had to relocate or be killed!”

“Yea right (sarcastically)...and what does this have to do with Kim?”

“Rumor is that Kim’s family owes Jessica’s father money. Maybe Jessica is trying to get close to Kim to get it back.”

“You mean like Kim’s dad is in hiding and Jessica is there to find out where he is?”

“Yea something like that.”

I rolled my eyes at the gossip I just heard, “My father isn’t hiding....he is at home every night eating dinner with us...”

“Talking to yourself?”

I jumped as Jessica came within a few inches of my face, “Jessica...”

The girl smiled, “Yes?”

I eyed the girl up and down trying to see her as a gang lord’s daughter but I just couldn’t, “Jesscia....what does your father do?”

I could see her roll her eyes back, “Why are you so interested in my father?”

“B-because...I don’t want to be associated with a gang...”

Jessica looked at me astonished before laughing loudly, “Oh Kim...you are cute. Gang? You think my dad is part of a gang?”

“Seems logical...”

“Well I am sure my father would roll around in his grave if he heard that.”

“Grave?”

“Yes. My father died when I was younger.”

“Oh....”

Jessica took my hand, “Do you want to come to my house after school?”

I gulped, “Your house?” I had never been to a rich person’s house before and the curiosity guarding Jessica’s life was tempting.

“Yes. Want to come?”

I looked down weighing the pros and cons on visiting Jessica’s home, “Ok,” but curiosity won this round.

-----------------------------------

“Hey Jessica?” The girl hummed next to me, “Why are we walking to your home?”

Jessica looked back with a smile, “Probably because I am too young to drive.”

I raised my brow, “Aren’t you rich enough to have a driver or something like that? All the other girls...”

“I don’t want to be like those other girls.” Jessica interrupted.

It was not a close location but Jessica and I managed to arrive at a building. Jessica smiled at the man who opened the door for us before we entered an elevator. This building was tall with 60 floors and Jessica picked the top floor after entering a key. The elevator made it to the top floor rather fast causing my ears to pop from the sudden pressure change, “Here.”

I looked up as the door opened to a foyer, “You live up here?”

Jessica nodded as she changed her shoes before taking out another key and opening another door, “Come in.”

I was hesitant to enter the house but I slowly made my way into the rather grand apartment. No doubt about it, Jessica had money.

“You can put your stuff down. I am going to check on my grandmother.”

I nodded as I watched Jessica leave. At first, I didn’t know where to move to since I was in awe of the fact that this place was super expensive and if I broke something, I would never have enough money to replace it.

“Are you okay?”

I swiftly turned around when I saw Jessica coming towards me, “Yea...”

“You can make yourself at home here.”

“Where is your...mother?” I remembered that her father was no longer alive.

“She is with my father. They both died when I was young.”

I put the pieces together quickly, “It is just you and your grandmother?”

Jessica nodded, “She took care of me in America but she had to come back to Korea to take care of the family business. We own a lot of property here. I didn’t want to come here so my grandmother let me stay in America, but recently she got sick and I came back. To help take care of her.”

I nodded in awe, “I am sorry.”

Jessica gave a soft smile, “No big deal. She is old and had a full life although she is my only family.”

“What will happen to you if she passes?”

“I will be alone and inherit everything...I really don’t want the business though.”

“What will you do then?”

Jessica sat down, “So many questions for a future I don’t want to think about. My grandmother made me happy and gave me love. If I lose her, I lose the one thing the money never gave me.”

I could see it then, why Jessica was different. The girl had the riches but didn’t want it. I could see her throwing away the money to find a different happiness.

“Taeyeon...” I was startled when I heard the girl say my first name, “If my grandma does pass, can you promise me something?”

I looked up at the girl in surprise, “Sure?”

“Can you promise that you won’t leave me alone?”

It was a big promise but I walked up to her and engulfed her in a bear hug, “I promise.”

--------------------------

Then it started with a phone call our final year of high school. There was no hesitance in Jessica’s actions as she sought me out in the classroom hugging me like her life depended on it, “She is gone....”

It took only a few seconds for me to register what Jessica was talking about as her tears soaked my shirt. I held her close, “Remember, you are not alone.”

 

As I held onto Jessica’s hand while placing a rose in the casket, I knew nothing between us would ever be the same. The carefree Jessica was gone as men in suits crowded around her. You could see their hunger for money that was attached to the defenseless girl while I saw Jessica holding onto the last memories she had with her grandmother.

“Taeyeon...” Jessica whispered while we looked into the grave.

“Yea?”

“I want to run away.”

“And go where?”

“I don’t know...I just feel like running.”

Holding onto her hand tighter, “Then I will be beside you wherever you run to.”

During the whole funeral, that was the only time I Jessica smile.

---------------------------------

Having a company forced onto you at a young age, would be hard for any teenager. I could only imagine how stressful Jessica’s life became since she was hardly ever at school the days following her grandmother’s passing. I often wondered if I lost my friend to those men in suits or if my life would turn depressing in school once again, but those were selfish thoughts. Jessica made me selfish. I was selfish for wanting her to be with me when she had other things to do. Her life became bigger than mine and I didn’t like it.

And then it started with a ticket placed in my hand, “One week.”

I looked up at the girl, who I haven’t seen in months, in surprise, “Where?”

“Well you don’t have a passport so Jeju.”

“Why Jeju?”

“It is the farthest away from here.”

I looked down at the plane ticket in my hand, “Ok.”

Jessica gave me a firm hug, “Thank you.”

I knew it right then that this trip was not for me. Jessica wanted to run away from something and I was foolish enough to keep her company although college entrance exams were approaching in a few months and a week long absence could ruin my attendance record. Although for other reasons, I found myself to selfishly take this trip.

 

With the warm breeze blowing back her long brown hair, I watched Jessica skip around the rocks that lined the beach. She was carefree once again. It was at this time that I wanted the clocks to stop so that she can bask in the happiness that she deserved.

“Taeyeon!” I saw her waving me to come closer, “Why are you so far behind?”

I gave her a warm smile, “I was captivated by the view.”

Jessica intertwined our hands as we looked out into the ocean, “You see how the ocean never ends? It just keeps going and going.”

“Yea....”

“Do you think we can be like the ocean?”

I smiled, “That would be nice.”

Jessica squeezed my hand a bit tighter, “Taeyeon...I love you.”

I looked at the girl in shock, and then it started with a kiss. Jessica leaned in and firmly sealed her feelings onto the softness of my lips. I couldn’t deny the fluttering of my heart as I kissed her back. We stayed there on those rocks confirming our feelings for each other over and over. It was then that I knew what started with a tissue, a call to the principal, buttery hands touching, a phone call of a grandmother’s passing, and a ticket to Jeju would all lead to this moment. The moment that Jessica became the love of my life. The day that we had the love of our life in each other’s arms.

---------------------------------

More than one thing changed after the trip to Jeju. Jessica decided that she wanted us to be like the ocean so she sold her stock in the company and handed off leadership to someone else. With her new found freedom, Jessica graduated high school along with me and we decided on a college to go to together. I never took favors but Jessica had a way of pouting and turning me into a pile of mush with just a few nibbles on my lips, I allowed Jessica to help me with college tuition.

She just told me, “It is only money and if I use it on you or someone less fortunate, I can at least think it has some value.”

The girl had all the riches in the world, but Jessica never saw that as her happiness. She liked the simplicity of being in my arms as we held each other close. I wouldn’t have life any other way.

 

 

Then 2 years later it all started again with a ring.............

 

 

~END~

 

 

 


Author's Note

Ahh your author is a er for cheesy and classic high school romances. Simple and noncomplicated stories are nice every once in a while I think.

Comment ^^