My Type

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

As a closeted gay woman, one would say working at Victoria Secret would be a dream job, but Jessica thought the opposite. Sometimes a cute girl would come in, but then she would be helping her mother find a bra or that she didn’t want to picture the older woman wearing lacy undergarments in bed. So, no this wasn’t some lesbian fantasy but a normal job with the usual customers who could be as sweet as gumdrops or as sour as a lemon. Retail was brutal even if you were surrounded by pink .

What didn’t help was Jessica’s teenage angst making her think this was the worst job ever, but her father said having a job would build character and allow her to keep her car. Jessica only got a taste of adulthood and she hates it already. Not to mention she knew every bra and size of all her classmate’s moms’. Not really what she would call her dream job so during her breaks, Jessica would use a small portion of her salary to get a sweet treat from the cafeteria. Something about the way a hot pretzel dipped in cinnamon sugar made her day bearable…or was it the cute girl that happened to work across from that cafeteria?

Jessica couldn’t keep her eyes off her. The girl was pretty but Jessica wouldn’t say the girl was drop dead gorgeous or had had the body of one of the models in her store. This girl was rather average in every way except that goddamn smile. When Jessica caught the girl laugh, Jessica could feel her whole body melt as she dug a deeper hole into this one-sided love.

Every now and then, Jessica thought she could start a casual conversation by pretending that she wanted some shoes but Jessica would always chicken out. There was something about this girl that made Jessica lose all her senses and she didn’t want to act like an idiot in front of her for the first time. Maybe someday she would skip the pretzel and get the real sweet treat she actually craved but for now, Jessica was only going to keep her love-affair with the pretzel going.

“One cinnamon sugar pretzel please.” Jessica reached in her pockets for the money and placed it on the counter.

The boy returned with her pretzel and pushed her money back, “The girl before you already paid for your pretzel. Crazy how she knew your order.”

Jessica could feel chills run through her body wondering who knows about her dirty pretzel secret but it didn’t take long to find the one other worker in the cafeteria enjoying the same pretzel as her. . Jessica was ready to melt down and lose her cool in 5, 4, 3, 2, -

“Don’t you want the pretzel?”

Jessica turned back around and gave the boy a kind smile before taking her pretzel and a few breaths, “Thank you.”

Knowing she was going to have to face her, Jessica grabbed a few napkins in case she drooled too much or got excited and started talking with full. She just needed to remember that this is just another girl…who she is already massively in love with…don’t screw it up.

The girl smiled politely at the table nearby, “Hi.”

Jessica found it natural to smile back, “hi…umm did you pay for this?”

The girl looked down a little flustered, “It is your usual correct? Not to be stalkerish but I work across from the cafeteria and I see you here on break getting one every day. Well everyday I work.”

Jessica wondered for a second if she should run although she was already caught, “Ah yea…I umm thank you.”

“I am Taeyeon.”

Jessica sunk into the seat already falling deeper in love with this girl after seeing that beautiful smile up close, “J-Jessica.”

Taeyeon focused on Jessica’s nametag, “Victoria Secret.”

Jessica quickly looked down at her name tag forgetting it was on, “Ah yes.”

Slowly eating her pretzel, Taeyeon raised her brow, “I am surprised you like something this sweet. You should be careful about getting diabetes if you eat this every day.”

Jessica already had diabetes in the form of Taeyeon, “But it tastes so good.”

Taeyeon was already halfway through her pretzel, “It is really good.”

Jessica didn’t know what to say to her. She was happy with watching Taeyeon from afar but now that she has Taeyeon to herself, she didn’t know what to do. Her brain started to betray her so she also stuffed the pretzel in .

Wiping , Taeyeon finished very fast, “My break is almost over but if you um want any shoes, come find me. I can get you a discount.”

Jessica nearly stumbled out her chair to stand when Taeyeon did, “Same…if you needed any…” What? ? Bras? Lingerie? …Jessica is not sure if she could handle seeing that yet.

Taeyeon luckily broke the tension with a soft chuckle, “I am not sure Victoria Secret is my type of place. If I come by, it would be to see you. Nice meeting you Jessica. Don’t be a stranger.”

Jessica waved Taeyeon off before slumping back into her chair trying to shake away the dirty thoughts she was now having of Taeyeon trying out the new Angel line that came in this week. It was probably better that Jessica found her at the shoe place. There is nothing y about a shoe. At least that is what Jessica thought.

It took a few days for Jessica to be brave enough to seek Taeyeon out. With it being the weekend, Jessica had taken a shift in the morning and by 2pm, she was ready to take off. Already with her name tag off and her keys in hand, Jessica noticed Taeyeon walking in to start her shift. There was no way to exit the mall easily without passing Taeyeon so Jessica did the bravest thing in the world and stepped inside the store, “I need a shoe.”

Taeyeon recognized Jessica’s voice right away and gave her coworker a signal that she would take this customer, “Just 1 shoe? That might be uncomfortable.”

Jessica certified herself as an idiot with one sentence, “I need a shoe and the matching one to go with it.”

Not that her stupidity didn’t have rewards because that drew out one huge ing smile from Taeyeon, “Alright. 1 shoe with the matching pair. Got it. Do you have a style in mind?”

Nope. Jessica came in here to see Taeyeon. She doesn’t need any shoes, “Something…comfortable?”

Taeyeon looked down at the shoes Jessica was wearing, “Something similar to those?”

Jessica followed Taeyeon’s line of sight to her work shoes, “S-sure.”

Taeyeon raised her brow starting to catch on to what Jessica might really want, “Wait here. I have something in mind.”

Jessica kept her glued on the seat, afraid that if she got up, Taeyeon wouldn’t return.

“These will be perfect.”

Jessica raised her brow as Taeyeon juggled 3 boxes back to her spot, “y-you didn’t ask my shoe size.”

Taeyeon placed the boxes down, “Your feet are smaller than average so I guessed a 6.”

Jessica was amazed Taeyeon was correct, “yea…”

Kneeling in front of Jessica, Taeyeon helped Jessica out of her shoes, making Jessica feel like a goddess being doted on by a beautiful maiden. Jessica wasn’t sure if she should help Taeyeon in some way or just let Taeyeon have her way with her.

“With retail we are standing all day. You should really get something with arch support.” Taeyeon pulled out the first shoe from the box and slipped it on Jessica’s feet, “Try this.”

Jessica stood up loving the pillow comfort of the memory foam, “Wow.”

Taeyeon smiled proudly, “you never had a good quality shoe right?”

“I didn’t think about it.”

“These other shoes are the same with the memory foam but some other styles.” Opening the box, Jessica laughed at the shoes, “They all look the same.”

Taeyeon gasped as if she was offended, “How could you say that? They are all unique in their own way. Like this one, feel…” Jessica felt Taeyeon’s velvety soft hands on her own gliding over the soft leather, “you feel that?”

Jessica felt her heart racing.

“Italian leather. Nothing is softer than that.”

Jessica knows now Taeyeon’s hands are much softer than fancy leather.

“Or this one has a hybrid gel technology in the heal so you get a better overall feel from both the inside and outside.”

Jessica was feeling way too much both on her inside and outside already.

“So? Like any of these? Or we can keep looking.”

“No!” Jessica covered a little too loud, “I mean these all seem too expensive for me. I only make minimum wage.” Not that she didn’t want more time with Taeyeon but somehow Taeyeon made this whole situation overwhelming for her poor heart.

Taeyeon checked the side of the box, “This one is on clearance. I can get you like an extra 15% friend discount too.”

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat with Taeyeon’s mention of ‘friend’ although they just officially met. Taking the box, from Taeyeon, Jessica checked out the price, “I don’t know…”

“What if I buy pretzels for you all next week?”

Jessica smiled at the thought of spending more time with Taeyeon, “You seem desperate to get me a pair of shoes?”

“You should have something comfortable to work in plus I think I am hooked on those pretzels.”

Jessica bit her lip and thought for a second, “Deal.”

“Great! I will ring you up.”

 

Jessica looked down at her new shoes. She knew she was going to see Taeyeon today and all she could think about is if Taeyeon would notice.

“Jung! Break.”

Jessica nearly jumped at her manager announcing she could take off. Excitedly, Jessica grabbed her phone from the locker before going out to the cafeteria where she found Taeyeon already waiting.

“Hi.”

Taeyeon pushed the pretzel forward, “As promised.”

Feeling her heart warm at the gesture, Jessica happily sat down and tore off a piece of the sweet substance, “I wasn’t sure if you would keep your end of the deal.”

“Oh? Why not?”

Jessica shrugged, “Pretzels for a week is like the cost of the shoes.”

“They look great on you…the shoes I mean.”

“They are comfy.” Jessica wiggled her toes inside the shoes, not like Taeyeon could see that.

“Do you live close by? I know you don’t go to my school.”

Jessica wiped her face, “SM East High.”

Chuckling, Taeyeon leaned back in her chair, “Should I be talking to you? I am from West…our rivalry is pretty strong.”

Leaning forward, Jessica gave Taeyeon an insidious look, “I don’t mind living a little dangerously.”

Smirking, Taeyeon seemed to like Jessica’s challenge, “Then we will have to keep this friendship on the down-low. I don’t need my West High street-cred damaged.”

“Same here. I have an appearance to keep up.”

“Your secret is safe with me,” Taeyeon winked.

With that silent promise, Jessica liked the idea of a forbidden love. Really Jessica just liked that Taeyeon being her little secret.

With the days coming and going, Taeyeon stayed true to her word and provided Jessica with pretzels. Jessica knew she didn’t need these pretzels anymore but it still seemed like the pretzels were needed to give one another an excuse to meet. So, when the last day came for the pretzel-fest and Taeyeon’s promise being fulfilled, neither Taeyeon nor Jessica knew what to do. It was clear that both wanted to continue this illicit affair but they were still insecure teenagers not confident enough in their self-worth to realize that they both wanted the company of one another. Subsequently, like a true adolescent, they awkwardly sat there with the last bites of their pretzels painfully gone.

Taeyeon was the first to give Jessica the sad smile.

Jessica returned the same sad smile.

A moment of silence persisted wondering if the exchange of phone numbers was appropriate. So neither acted on their better judgement.

“I should get back to work. 15 minutes is never long enough.”

“Totally.” Jessica wondered for a second if it was pathetic to continue to sit here even after Taeyeon left.

“I will see you around. Since we…you know kind of work in the same building.” Taeyeon scooted her chair back and went back to work.

Sighing, Jessica let a few minutes pass before going back to Victoria Secret to finish out the last few hours of her shift.

Although Jessica resented her job most days, today seemed worse than usual. She was supposed to have a smile on her face and greet every customer, but after leaving Taeyeon, Jessica couldn’t force the smile. She just kept thinking she was so stupid for not trying to find another excuse for them to meet again.

“Excuse me miss, I think I need some assistance.”

Jessica’s heart nearly skyrocketed when she recognized the voice behind her, “Taeyeon? Aren’t you supposed to be working?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “Bathroom break?”

Giggling Jessica leaned back on the display behind her, “Weren’t you just on a break?”

Taeyeon flashed a sinister smile, “I have 15 minutes and I was wondering if you would like to help me try on this bra?”

Jessica looked down at the DD size bra knowing that wouldn’t fit Taeyeon, “We do measurements in the back, I don’t think that is the right size.”

Taeyeon grinned, “Of course.”

Taking Taeyeon’s hand Jessica led her to one of the back dressing rooms and locked the door, “Taeyeon I…”

“I like you.” Taeyeon interjected, “Truth be told…every time you came to the cafeteria I would steal glances at you. I thought it was just me who had feelings but then I caught you looking at me and I took a chance. When I went back into work today, I thought I was so stupid for not letting you know…letting you know that I don’t want that to be our last pretzel date.”

Jessica giggled, relieved that Taeyeon felt the same, “I would like that. I like you too.”

Taeyeon felt the weight shift off her shoulders with the confession, “So what size do you think I am?”

Jessica laughed leaning dangerously close to Taeyeon’s lips, “Much smaller than a DD.”

Taeyeon closed the gap for a slow and sensual kiss, “should I be jealous that you see half women every day?”

Jessica pecked Taeyeon’s lips a few times, “No because I know you Kim Taeyeon are my type.”

 

~END~

 

 

A/N: Started from a drabble