Silly Girl

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

It was a normal weekend date with my boyfriend. We were at the mall where we ate some delicious fast food and shopped around while he carried my bags. So sweet of him. Eventually that Americano made me rush to the bathroom so he was nice and waited for me in a nearby shop.

After finishing my business, I went into the shop expecting him to greet me with that cute grin but I couldn’t believe what I saw. Instead, he was flirting with another girl! I couldn’t see who this was but he was laughing and she had her arm around him. Silly girl, you need to keep your hands off what is mine.

Putting on my best smile, I gritted my teeth as I pulled him towards me, “Jay.”

Surprised, he smiled at me, “Oh you are back.” He didn’t look guilty at all! But when the girl turned slightly, I immediately dropped his hand, “Taeyeon.”

Her cute dimples were exactly the same, “Nice to see you again Jessica.” The anger and rage I suddenly had disappeared into anticipation and old feelings I thought I left behind many years ago, “I never expected my trip to New York to run into Jay, and then I heard you two are dating. Congrats!”

I rubbed the back of my neck not sure if I wanted to confirm or deny the reality, but Jay did most of the talking as he wrapped his arm around my waist, “I was surprised too. Jessica swore she would never come back to New York but then one day, I saw her at my door crying. I never expected her to come running to me but I guess that is what love is.”

Taeyeon raised her brow, “So you have been dating for six years then? That is when Jessica came to New York right?”

Jay laughed awkwardly, “Not exactly. Maybe for 2 years we have been official. Jessica and I did more the friends to lovers approach.”

Shifting, her pose, I could see Taeyeon eyeing me up and down like she knew what I was thinking, “I have to get going but the three of us should meet up again and catch up. I am here for a while.” Taeyeon stepped closer to me and reached into my pocket taking my phone. I felt frozen to resist anything she would do to me, “Jessica has my number. Call me.”

With that she gave both of us a playful grin before leaving us as quickly as she came, “Can you believe it? Taeyeon.”

I shook my head, “she’s supposed to be in Korea.”

Jay slipped his fingers through mine, “yea that is what is crazy. New York is huge and we still run into her. What are the odds?”

I squinted at her walking away, “suspiciously low.”

“I am glad we got to reconnect. She came here for a job interview. It would be crazy if the three of us are all working here. Just like the old days.”

I wasn’t ready to relive the old days. All I remember from 6 years ago was heartache and tears which is why I came to New York. It was the farthest I could get from her. Why did my past need to catch up with me?

----------------

I seriously have zero self control. After Jay dropped me off at my apartment, I couldn’t help but let my fingers slide over Taeyeon’s number in my phone over and over again. The temptation of having access to her again was making me have stupid thoughts. I shouldn’t call her. I shouldn’t open up old wounds. I shouldn’t cheat on Jay.

Too bad my finger slipped and the phone started to ring, “You are predicable.”

I laughed, “How did you know it was me?”

“I know you best. Remember?”

“I changed a lot from six years ago.”

“I think you want to change from six years ago but haven’t.”

I laughed, “I promise you, I am different from before.”

“Then come on over.”

I wasn’t going to fall for her tricks, “Why should I do that?”

“So I can see how much you have changed. I want to know what made you straight and run into Jay’s arms. Or are you afraid to face the old you?”

Afraid of what? That I wasn’t over her? That I could never escape this pull she has over me no matter how many times she hurt me? “I am not afraid. I just have nothing to prove to you.”

The line went silent for a second making me think she hung up, “309 Hyatt. A key will be waiting for you at the front desk.”

The line went dead, “Who does she think she is? I am so not going to see her.” Nothing could tempt me to go see Taeyeon. No way. Wait…fingers…stop typing in the address. . The hotel is only a few train stops away. That evil witch. Does she know where I live?

No no no Jessica. Do not go looking for trouble. Just stay in your comfortable apartment. There is no reason to leave your safe bubble that you carefully crafted.

Getting up I threw my phone to the side and decided to make dinner. Going to my fridge…it was empty, “Shoot.” Looking at my phone I didn’t want to be tempted by it so I put on my shoes to go to the mart downstairs.

Not sure why I was reapplying some make-up, changed my bra into something lacy and styled my hair a little, I pocketed my phone and left. Going down to the lobby and out the door, my feet passed the mart, passed the next mart and passed the last mart before going into the subway and headed the direction of the Hyatt.

. Taeyeon is right, I have become the old Jessica. The one that always goes crawling back to Taeyeon.

Getting out of the subway, I looked up at the hotel, “I shouldn’t go in there.” Saying those words didn’t stop me from entering.

“How can I help you?”

“Is there a key for Jessica Jung?”

The worker smiled as she handed me the key, “Here you go.”

I smiled at the front desk worker before going to the room written on the card. Stepping out of the elevator, I could see Taeyeon already waiting at the door looking at her watch, “You live 10 minutes from here?”

I rolled my eyes, “Don’t look so happy.”

She was grinning from ear to ear, “But you are so predictable.”

Walking past her, I entered the room which was simple and clean with Taeyeon’s suitcase still open and a dinner waiting, “You haven’t eaten yet right?”

I turned to see Taeyeon right behind me as she closed the door, “N-no.”

She motioned, “Sit. Don’t look like you are ready to run away just as you got here.”

I did as I was told, looking at the pasta dish, “Thank you.”

Sitting across from me, Taeyeon smiled, “If you had changed in six years, you should have started with learning how to cook.”

I smiled sheepishly as I dug into the pasta, “take-out is so convenient here.”

Taeyeon mirrored me and started eating, “do you miss my cooking.”

Not thinking I blurted out, “Every day.”

Taeyeon smirked, “Does Jay cook for you?”

I shrugged, “Not really.”

Taking a drink of water, Taeyeon stopped eating to look me over which made me stop eating too to look at her, “Why Jay?”

I wiped my mouth, “Why not? He was there for me during all the worst days.”

Taeyeon frowned, “When you said you were going to New York, I thought you were just being dramatic. I went to your house the next day and your sister already said you left.”

The old memory made my body go cold, “you never took me serious. I was so in love with you but you didn’t care.”

Taeyeon frowned like I said something wrong, “I loved you….I don’t know how you ever thought I was treating you like a fling?”

I threw my head back and laugh, “You had so many chances to make us official but couldn’t resist all the other girls.”

“You kept breaking up with me! Every time you would, I would find something to distract me and it happened to be other girls but only because I was trying to drown out my sorrow.  You were the one with commitment issues.”

“Because I found you always to be with another girl!” I huffed out as she stared me down before I leaped over the table to kiss her.

.

Just as intense as the kiss started, I pulled myself away, “Damn it.”

Taeyeon was a little stunned as she tried to catch her breath from the sudden kiss, “Wow.”

“I hate how fighting with you makes me want to push you on the bed and have my way with you.”

Taeyeon looked down and laughed, “I love that about you.”

I stood up as I tried to shake off this intense heat I was feeling for Taeyeon, “You love that I always came running back.”

“Well yes.” Taeyeon racked her fingers through her hair, “Jessica I don’t know how to say it clearer, but I loved you. I still do. I was hoping more than anything to get a job here so I could find you again.”

My heart stopped, “R-really?”

Taeyeon stood up to rub my arms, “Of course. The day you left, my world shattered. At the time, I couldn’t leave Korea but I vowed to come here and get you back one day.”

I looked into her eyes as mine started to water, “Silly girl.”

Taeyeon gave me a dopy smile, “No. You were the silly one to ever think I was never going to come find you.”

I cupped her face, feeling the softness of familiar skin, “I am going to do something really stupid.”

Taeyeon smirked, “Sounds like my Jessica.”

I leaned in and kissed her with the weight of six years worth of passion and longing. It was clear that I was still silly-crazy in love with her and she would continue to be the one I always run back to.

~END~