Déjà Vu

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

Fingers floated effortlessly through the air as her hair cascaded back as the cool wind blew in her face. It has been a long time since she drove by the sea taking in the crisp smell of the ocean. So many things have changed since then as she looked over the woman driving to her left she smiled.

Pulling over, Jessica got out of the car and stretched while her driver came running around, “Jeju is so pretty! I am glad I get to enjoy it for the first time with you.”

Jessica smiled knowing it wasn’t her first time here, “should we walk on the beach?”

The other woman must have had the same thing in mind as she pulled off her sandals taking Jessica’s as well as they dug their feet into the cool sand.

Swinging their hands back in forth in silence, Jessica should have been focusing on the person with her but thoughts kept going back to the first time she was here with another woman.

“The ocean is so blue.”

Jessica giggled as she sighed in her embrace, “should we go in?”

“I didn’t bring my swimming suit.”

“Me neither.” Jessica detangled herself from the woman’s embrace and ran towards the water.

“It is a nice day.”

Jessica blinked a few times before squeezing the woman’s hand, “Should we go swimming when we get back to the hotel?”

“Sure.”

Walking to the end of the beach the two ran into the boardwalk with some stalls of venders, “Oh! Ice cream!”

“Mint Choco!!”

Jessica wrinkled her nose in disgust, “When did you start liking that?”

“You can get your boring chocolate, I want mint choco.”

“Chocolate isn’t boring, it is a classic.”

The vendor handed the girls their ice cream as Jessica took a huge of the mint choco, “Hey! That’s mine!”

Jessica leaned in for a kiss, slow and sensual, “mint choco does taste good.”

“Jessica what do you want?”

“Do they have mint choco?”

The other woman sighed, “Don’t you always order chocolate? We can share if you get that.”

“Chocolate is fine…I was just feeling a change.”

The woman still ordered a chocolate scoop that they shared bite for bite as they walked through the vendors with various crafts and clothing.

Jessica was naturally drawn to a booth that had hand-dyed fabrics and started to sort through the various clothing.

“Like it?”

Jessica smiled as she threw a scarf around her neck, “How do I look?”

“Beautiful.” Jessica blushed as the girl kissed her cheek, “as always. Now find me something.”

Jessica hummed as she dug around the rack of clothes finding a navy blue jacket, “Try this on.”

The woman quickly threw on the jacket before running to the mirror, “Doesn’t this match your dress?”

Jessica smiled as she back-hugged the girl, “I like it when we match.”

“So we need to confuse our friends even more? Sooyoung already calls me Jessica from time to time.”

Jessica shrugged as she let her head lay on the woman’s shoulder, “I think that makes us the perfect pair.”

“Jessica do you want it?”

Jessica looked down at the wallet pulled out before gently putting the fabric down, “Let’s keep looking.”

“Are you sure? You looked like you really like that…”

Jessica smiled as she took the woman’s hand, “We should get something to eat and find a place to watch the sunset.”

The other woman smiled as she hugged Jessica closer, “Humm food sounds wonderful.”

Jessica closed her eyes trying to savor this unfamiliar heat. She missed the butterflies that used to radiate through her body when she hugged like this, but she already knew she would never be her.

“I am dying to try the seafood here.”

Jessica nodded, “It is wonderful.”

Leading the way, the woman guided Jessica back to the car until they found a sign that screamed ‘fish is sold here.’

For once, Jessica was glad she was eating at a place she never tried before. It was truly the first experience she had with her date today that was unique.

“No fish.”

“Seriously? How have you lived in Korea all your life and never ate fish?”

The girl shrugged, “Just because I eat it, doesn’t mean I enjoy it. I want pork. Jeju is known for pork too.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “You were the one who said we should go to this exotic island…and you don’t even eat the food they are known for?”

“I just told you, pork. They are known for that so I want to stuff my face in a BBQ.”

Jessica laughed, “Only you would not eat seafood when we are surrounded by seafood.”

“This place is really good. So fresh, like they just scooped it out of the water and put it on the plate.”

Jessica picked at the fish, “Well they did just take it out of the tank so technically, yes.”

“You know what I mean! The city has nothing like this.”

Jessica hummed, “I think the fish is still pretty fresh in the city. You just need to go to the market in the morning.”

“Since when do you wake up early to get fish?”

Jessica shook her head, “I never did, but…a family I knew would. They always had the best seafood when I visited.”

“Think of it from my perspective. My dad is a fisherman. We eat fish all the time. I want beef, pork, chicken. Anything without a gill.”

“Your mom has the best food. I always thought you loved seafood because that was what she made.”

The woman shook her head, “You would get sick of having it all the time too. Trust me.”

“I could eat this the whole time we are here.”

“I heard the pork here is good too.”

The woman rubbed her full stomach, satisfied, “Why have pork when we are surrounded by nature’s bounty?”

Jessica didn’t have the will to argue even though she was strangely craving BBQ after a filling meal.

“The sun is going to set soon. Did you want to go back to the beach?”

Jessica turned to look outside, “Oh we should hurry or we will miss it.”

Gathering their belongings, the pair made their way to the beach again. Looking around Jessica spotted a bench at the end of the pier, “There is a spot over there to sit.”

Taking her partner’s hand, Jessica led the way to the end of the pier but what was at the end shocked her as she dropped the other woman’s hand.

“We should move here.”

“What about graduation?” Jessica interlocked their fingers, “Although I am fine going anywhere after that with you. As long as it is with you.”

“Taeyeon.”

The woman turned nearly dropping her mint choco ice cream in the process, “Jessica.”

Jessica felt her heart pulsate out of control as she stopped breathing when she looked at what seemed like déjà vu.

~END~