The Snow Queen

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

Trudging through the snow, the girl cursed under her breath that her horse ran off scared after seeing a moose. She wished Zero wasn’t such a cowardly horse, but he was at least very fast and loyal. Knowing he would be back at her parent’s house safe and sound gave the woman some sense of ease, except she was here alone in this white desert.

“Stupid horse.” She continued to curse growing increasingly tired and hungry with every step she took.

This was supposed to be a mundane trip to the forest to get some materials for her family but it was far enough away that walking would take hours. Not to mention, the past few days, their land was covered in a fresh blanket of snow from the blizzard plaguing their land the past few days. She was thankful that snow had not come down today but she could see the trees growing restless as they shook from the wind. Peering into the sky she hoped that she could make it home before any bad weather came upon her, but luck was not on her side.

An hour into her walk, the wind increased more and more and the first flakes of snow started hitting her in the face. Pulling up her hood, she looked around for any kind of shelter, but the woods were abandoned. Trying to walk faster, she thought maybe she could get close enough to home that her brother may go out and find her, but the wind kept pushing her back further and further.

The woman had no choice but found the closest tree and crouched behind it hoping she would survive this snowstorm. Thoughts went through her head that her family would find out the next day that she was dead. No one knows where she is and these storms could last for days…she felt helpless.

The storm increased in volume and the winds started to gust furiously with the snow coming down in buckets. At this point, the woman could no longer see the trees in front of her and all hope was lost. She knew nothing would save her. She was too young to die.

Just as silent tears were to fall, the storm stopped.

The woman was surprised so she crawled out from behind the tree to see what happened, but what she saw nearly blinded her. There stood a beautiful woman cloaked in a light blue dress adorned with a furry white cape. This woman was controlling the snow with her hands skillfully making it stop all together.

Noticing the other girl peaking out from the woods, the woman smiled, “It is okay. You can come out. I won’t hurt you.”

Carefully the other woman made her way out of the woods, “Uh…um thanks?”

Smiling brightly, the woman walked a few steps before the other, “I was surprised to sense another person out here during a storm. How did you end up in the woods alone?”

The other woman was stunned with the taller woman’s overflowing beauty.

“Oh where are my manners, I am Queen Jessica.”

No way…the other woman nearly passed out meeting the queen like this so the girl immediately fell down into a bow, “forgive me for troubling you.”

The queen laughed, “You are cute. Please stand up. What is your name?”

“T-taeyeon of the Kim family.”

“So you are part of the farming community.”

“D-do you know my family?”

The queen nodded, “I try to know all those in my kingdom. Your family helps the village eat, so it is important to know your family name. Why are you here in the woods?”

“My horse ran off.”

The queen frowned, “That is unfortunate. How about you come with me in my carriage back to the kingdom?”

Taeyeon looked around to see the glass carriage with the white steeds, “I could never…I am just a peasant.”

The queen smiled brightly, “All the more so for you to come with me. I can’t have one of citizens freeze to death out here.”

Taeyeon was in awe of the queen’s hospitality. Most in the village said she was cold but Taeyeon has never seen someone with such a warm heart like her.

Getting into the carriage, Taeyeon could feel the warmth embrace her, finally shielded from the winter weather, “have a blanket.”

Taeyeon didn’t really have a choice as the cloth was placed over her. She was slightly afraid to touch anything in here because it all looked so expensive.

“Taeyeon relax. You look frozen by fear.”

Taeyeon let out an uncomfortable laugh, “Sorry. I just…this is…you are…pretty famous.”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a reassuring smile, “I should go out and greet my people more often, but I admit that I am a little shy. I prefer to stay out here in the winter by myself. I must be strange to prefer the company of snow rather than other people.”

“That isn’t strange,” Taeyeon tried to reassure the queen.

“I think it has to do with losing my parents. Since I was young, I have been alone.”

Taeyeon frowned at the fact that the queen seemed so lonely, “No one should be alone.”

The queen gave Taeyeon a sad smile, “You might not know it yet Taeyeon but you have more wealth than me. Your family is something you can’t replace and that is more than the weight in gold.”

The carriage stopped in front of Taeyeon’s family farm. Taeyeon looked out the window but was hesitant to get out, “You don’t have to be alone your majesty, if you ever need a friend, I can be here for you. No one needs to go around this world by themselves.”

The queen bowed, “Thank you Taeyeon. Don’t go wandering around in the snow. Winters here can be fierce.”

Taeyeon laughed sheepishly, “it wasn’t snowing when I started my quest.”

“Take care Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon left the carriage and watched it ride off into the distance thinking that would be the only time she would meet the queen but to her surprise, a man showed up at her door a week later.

“Is a Miss Taeyeon Kim of this residence?”

Taeyeon’s mother looked over at her, “I am her.”

The man held out an invitation, “The Queen has invited you to the winter ball. She requests your attendance.”

Taeyeon took the fancy piece of paper and looked at it in awe, “I ah am not sure I belong there. I would not want to do the queen harm by having someone of my status there.”

The man shook his head, “The queen has requested of me to not leave here until you agree to attend. A carriage will come and pick you up an hour before that time.”

Taeyeon looked back at her mom who mouthed something like ‘you better go the queen personally invited you’ so Taeyeon nodded, “Tell the queen I will come.”

The man smiled, “Great and ah your attire will be provided by the queen. You will be fitted and dressed at the castle before the party.”

Taeyeon bowed at the man before shutting the door where her mother immediately hugged her, “You have been invited by the queen! You have brought many fortunes to our family. To be in favor of the court is going to bring us out of this servitude.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I have no idea why the queen has taken a liken to me. I do not feel worthy of her attention.”

“Sweety it doesn’t matter. You make good with the queen and we all will benefit.”

Taeyeon let out an uneasy laugh, “I will do my best mother.”

“Good now attend to the horses while I prepare supper.”

Taeyeon nodded as she put on her boots and coat to check on the horses. Of course she attended to her favorite horse Zero first, “Zero-ah…the queen has called upon me. I do not know why.”

The horse nehed.

“I do not think I am that special. What is there in me that she likes?”

The horse nudged Taeyeon to show his love.

“You only love me because I spoil you with apples.”

The horse nehed again.

“I do not know how to act in front of these royals. I am sure to be made a fool of there.” Sighing Taeyeon sat down on the barrel, “This is a bad idea. I just know it.”

--------------------

Bad idea or not, Taeyeon was greeted by the same carriage that the man with the invitation came upon and was whisked away to the fairytale land of the queen’s castle. Taeyeon could hardly keep closed with how big the palace was. Peasants never would have the chance to get this close to the palace, and never be let inside, but as the gates opened and Taeyeon went into the great unknown, she was left speechless.

The white marble covered every inch of the castle with glimmering statutes and gold accents. Taeyeon has never seen anything more glamorous before, except for the queen.

Taeyeon looked down at her formal dress, but knew she looked like a servant in this attire.

The carriage stopped and a man opened the door for her, “Mam we have arrived.”

Servants came running to the carriage, “Please mam we will help you get you ready for the ball.”

Taeyeon nodded as she followed the women into the castle. With every step, into the sprawling walls of the cast, Taeyeon couldn’t help but have her eyes wander to the ornate walls and paintings. She saw the pictures of past royals, queens and kings but her heart skipped a beat when she noticed Queen Jessica painted so elegantly in front of the snowy backdrop, “Mam this way.”

Taeyeon returned her attention to the servants to get ready for the ball.

Never before had Taeyeon been doted on my so many people. She was showered, hair and makeup were done and finally a large crystal blue dress with diamond jewelry placed over her neck. With the heavy cloth cascaded over her she felt transformed. No longer was she a daughter of a farmer, but she was the esteemed guest of the queen.

“Mam we are ready for your grand entrance. You will go down the stairs, bow to the queen and join the party.”

Sounded simple enough so Taeyeon followed one of the servant girls to the grand entrance where guests were being announced. Standing behind a few people, Taeyeon waited for her turn to be called.

“A Miss Taeyeon Kim….”

Taeyeon slowly made her way down the banister, careful not to make a fool of herself and fall down the stairs, she stopped for a brief second to connect her eyes with the queen. She wasn’t sure what the look the queen gave her meant, but she was sure the queen was very pleased with the dressed that was picked out for her.

Finally making it to the bottom of the staircase, Taeyeon bowed halfway, as she saw the others do, “Thank you for inviting me queen.”

The queen gave her a grateful smile but said nothing.

Taeyeon exited to the side and joined the rest of the crowd. The whole time the guests were introduced, Taeyeon’s couldn’t keep her eyes off the queen. She was so captivating, especially when she was dolled up for the event. Seeing her in the woods was nothing compared to seeing her now.

“She is so pretty. It is a shame she rejects all her suiters.”

Taeyeon turned around to see a lanky man, “Ah yea she is.”

“I am Kim Ki-bum of the Kim family descended from the Im family.”

“I ah am also a Kim, Kim Taeyeon but from the…”

“Oh honey I know who you are. You are not like the others here but I am a little surprised. Gossip says the queen took pity on you because you are poor but I don’t buy that gossip. You are very pretty. I would want a pretty thing like you by my side if…well that doesn’t matter.” The man flipped his hand back and forth, “personally, I am glad the queen found a friend. She looks so lonely.”

Taeyeon returned her attention to the queen who looked grateful for all those that came, “But she has all of you to come to her parties.”

The man laughed, “Oh dear you really are not a royal. These people come for the gossip, the glamor and of course the free food. Why do you think more than a few here are so fat?”

That is true, most of the folk by her would never be this hefty.

“I knew the queen since she was young. She took the throne at a very young age when her family passed away in that horrible accident. Since then she stopped socializing with us. It is actually kind of rare for her to have a ball at this time of year, but I have a feeling you might have something to do with that? I feel like we should all be thanking you for such a lovely party.”

“Master Key do you mind if I steal her away? I don’t need you to fill her head with unnecessary gossip.”

Key smiled at the queen, “You love my gossip, but please take her away your majesty. I have so many people to greet. It has been a long long long long time since we had a party.”

The queen rolled her eyes at the man before bidding him well, “Do not mind well most of these people. They make up rumors for the fun of it.”

Taeyeon let out an uncomfortable laughter, “It seems you have known everyone here for a long time.”

“The families have been part of the royal lineage since the beginning. It is natural that they are around hoping for a chance to get the throne.” The queen lead the two to a quieter place of the ballroom.

“That must be stressful. How to know if these people really like you or only like you for what they want?”

The queen took a sip of her drink, “That is the curse of the throne. If any of them ever had the chance to take over, I would be grateful but I also know this is the burden I must have.”

“It shouldn’t be a burden. You deserve happiness as well.”

The queen let out a sad smile, “You have a way with words Taeyeon that make me want to cry. Anyway do you want a tour of the castle? I could use an excuse to escape that ballroom.”

“Aren’t you the host? Won’t they miss you?” Taeyeon was shocked the queen would leave her own party.

“They won’t even know I am gone. I promise.” Guiding Taeyeon out of the ballroom, she slipped through the kitchens and out a secret door, “This is the parlor. I do not use this space often unless we have guests over for political reasons.”

Taeyeon gave the proper amount of oo’s and ahhs.

“Next we have the writing room, then a random sitting room, another sitting room and the third sitting room before the library.”

Taeyeon chuckled a little.

“What is so funny?”

“You only need 1 chair to sit, so why so many rooms dedicated to rest?”

“Well the décor is vastly different.” The queen tried to defend the purpose of the rooms but as she thought about it she let out a small laugh, “You are right, this many rooms is ridiculous. My ancestors must have always been tired.”

Taeyeon smiled as she roamed around the library, “It must be a joy to read.”

“You do not know how to read? There are so many fascinating stories lined in these books and knowledge of some great scientists, philosophers and historians. To read, unlocks the world.” The queen went through the room to find a book, “The verses can be so magical. In the words of Marie Corelli: Her eyes were bright, – her cheeks delicately flushed.  She had no idea of her own poetic and unique loveliness, which was utterly unlike all the various admitted types of beauty in women.”

Taeyeon felt those words go straight to her heart.

“Only in books can you find such love…” The queen held the book close to her heart like she was trying to preserve the moment captured in time.

Taeyeon cleared , “If your heart is not open to love, you won’t find it my queen.” Suddenly letting out a chuckle, Taeyeon held the back of flushed, “I am sorry. I am not as scholarly as you my queen. It is just a feeling I have about love.”

The queen set down the book and approached Taeyeon, leaving less and less space, “How do you become open to love?”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew big as the queen continued to step closer and closer, “I don’t think you can just tell your heart to be open…it is more like you have to set aside thoughts that I could never be loved or I don’t deserve love, but instead just let yourself see the love around you. See those around you that want to love you…then maybe you can see the love you never knew you could have in someone else.”

“For someone who says they are not scholarly, that is maybe the wisest thing I ever heard or read.”

Taeyeon felt really embarrassed being praised like this, “I don’t deserve such kind words…I only live a simple life and get caught up in my own mind sometimes.”

The queen reached forward to caress Taeyeon’s cheek ever so softly, “I wondered why the storm lead me to you that day. It was like the spirits guided me to something so intensely hot, that I felt as though I was melting from my frozen form into something human again. That day I couldn’t describe what was happening but I think meeting you Taeyeon, may have melted my frozen heart.”

“Impossible,” Taeyeon tried to whisper out but she felt frozen by the excitement and anticipation of the queen’s intense gaze.

“I may not know love but Taeyeon you make me feel something indescribably intense. So much so that I did create this party just to find an excuse to meet you again. So much so that I would keep doing something I hate so much so because you would come every time I send an invitation.”

“I believe these are the same feelings I have had since I met you.” Taeyeon finally admitted.

The queen leaned forward hovering over Taeyeon’s lips, “do you want to see how intense this flame will burn?”

Taeyeon felt like all the air was knocked out of her lungs with a simple question, “M-more than anything.”

And so the queen leaned in, capturing Taeyeon’s lips both hoping to be saved from a frozen heart.

 

~END~