You Can Fly

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

 

Standing near the edge of one of the tallest buildings in Seoul, the woman bravely let her hands release from the railing as she closed her eyes listening to the gentle breeze. Softly, the wind surrounded her body and she felt like she was floating.

“I knew I would find you here.”

Opening her eyes, the woman quickly turned around and smiled, “hum yea.” Hopping off the ledge, the shorter girl leaned against the railing, “just enjoying the nice weather out.”

The other woman giggled, “If I didn’t know better, I thought you would be trying to commit suicide. Most would say leaning over the edge like that is dangerous.”

The woman shrugged, “It gives me peace.”

Joining her friend near the railing she held up some pocky which the smaller girl accepted happily, “So you got another job?”

The girl chewed on her pocky stick with little nibbles as she bobbed her head up and down, “Yea.”

“So I won’t see you for a while?”

The woman shrugged, “I am sure I will see you around unless you are going to America again.”

“Humm no. I don’t think so. I can’t leave my short friend here all alone.”

Grabbing another pocky she shoved it into , “I won’t get lonely. I have my spot up here.”

The woman chuckled, “I am only here to make sure you don’t fall over.”

“I doubt your dainty arms could do much to pull me to safety.”

“Whatever,” She shoved the girl as they chuckled.

After a few laughs and an empty box of pocky, the smallest girl got up, “Well I should get going. Good seeing you again Yoona.”

“You too Tae. Don’t be a stranger and call me up. I don’t like seeing you immerse yourself into work. Every time you finish a job I find you up here.”

Taeyeon gave her friend a reassuring smile, “everyone deals with it in their own way. I mean here you are with pocky but other times it is fish cake, red bean buns, or ice cream which I wish you would come around with more often.”

Yoona laughed not knowing of her strange habits, “food makes me happy.”

“The thrill of life makes me happy.” Taeyeon was about to walk away when Yoona came up to her.

“Just remember it is only a job Tae…they come and go.”

Taeyeon patted Yoona’s arm, “you should remember that too. I am not the rumored sap of the bunch.”

“Yah! Stop talking to Yuri. She is spreading those rumors.”

Taeyeon laughed as she walked out of the roof and into the stairwell leaving her flustered friend behind.

Making her way out of the building, Taeyeon gave one last look up the tall structure to the place that she was just standing but with the height, she hardly saw the spot, “No one would even know…”

Humming to a beat, Taeyeon continued to walk down the road inhaling the autumn scents of trees shedding leaves and fires of homes or food cart grills. She loved the way the wind makes the leaves dance around her feet as she makes her way further into the city. It was almost like the woman was lost in her little world until a quick bump came onto her shoulder.

Taeyeon saw the girl on the ground and cursed internally for running into her too hard, “I am so sorry.”

The woman was stunned at Taeyeon offering a hand to get her up, “I-It is ok.” Taking the warm hands, the woman was lifted back to her feet, “I wasn’t watching…sorry.”

Taeyeon grimaced at the failed attempt to cover up that large red mark on the woman’s face but she chose to ignore it, “It is fine. Did you lose any groceries?”

The woman forgot that she was holding two bags of groceries, “Oh they are fine.”

Taeyeon smiled as she dusted off her coat, “Then no harm done. My name is Taeyeon by the way.”

Shifting her groceries to the other hand, the woman shook the pale hand, “Jessica.”

Taeyeon smiled widely, “Nice to meet you. I should umm let you go though. I don’t know if you have any frozen item in that bag.”

Jessica shook her head, “I only picked up a few seasonings.”

Taeyeon took a quick peek in the bag to see the seasonings, “Are you cooking something special?”

“Oh just a roasted chicken…nothing special. And wine since it is my anniversary.”

Taeyeon looked down at Jessica’s left hand and let out a bitter smile, “H-how long were you married for?”

“Three years.” Jessica started walking and Taeyeon followed.

“Ah so you are newly wed?”

Jessica didn’t mind that Taeyeon was following behind her as she liked the welcomed company, “yes, but we knew each other all through college.”

“I see. Personally, I never thought of marriage.”

Jessica stopped at the light and looked back at the beautiful woman, “I am surprised…”

Taeyeon cocked her head and laughed, “Why?”

Jessica looked down at the street, “I ah…no reason I guess.”

Smiling, Taeyeon caught on to what Jessica was referring to, “if I didn’t find the right person, there is no reason to get married right?” The light changed to green and Jessica started to talk forward, “I am going this way so nice meeting you Jessica.”

Jessica stopped in the middle of the street looking back at Taeyeon, “y-you too.”

Taeyeon watched Jessica cross the street and smiled as she whistled the same tune so was humming earlier. No numbers needed to be exchanged because Taeyeon knew they would meet again.

--------------------------

Jessica put the groceries on the counter and went over to preheat the oven. Looking up at the clock she sighed wondering if all this effort was worth it? There was a good chance that he wouldn’t be coming home today. He didn’t come home last year on this day.

Giving up, Jessica walked over and corked her bottle of wine filling up her glass. She normally doesn’t drink but Jessica felt a fire grow inside of her. Something about meeting Taeyeon for that brief moment made her think. Why did she stayed married if both of them found this marriage burdensome? Could she go through a divorce and move back in with her parents?

Finished with her first glass of wine, Jessica got up and picked out all the seasonings. Although she knew Tyler wasn’t coming home, Jessica mixed the seasonings and rubbed them onto the chicken knowing she was going to eat well tonight. She cooked for the first time with a passion to feed only herself. Then she would finish half the bottle of wine and feel a bit of happiness.

 

The next morning, Jessica felt the coldness of the bed next to her. It wasn’t like she expected someone to be there but there was always a bit of hurt in her heart when she found it to be true. Getting up, Jessica took a quick shower and readied herself for her job. She didn’t need to look amazing but Jessica liked to look somewhat professional for her students. Putting on her headset, Jessica her monitor to talk to her students. For the next 2 hours, Jessica would forget about the coldness of her bed in the morning or the healing bruise hidden under her shirt, but thoughts of the mysterious girl named Taeyeon still remained. Would she meet her again?

-----------------------------

Taeyeon stood near the café window occasionally looking in. Suddenly a figure came up behind her, “Did you change your job to being a stalker?”

Taeyeon jumped before glaring at her friend, “Are you jobless now?”

Yoona put her arm around Taeyeon’s shoulder playfully, “I just went out to get some fresh air. This new assignment of mine is suffocating.”

“You always say that but then cry when you finish.” Taeyeon goes back to peeking into the window.

Yoona stands behind Taeyeon wondering what she is looking at, “Why are you here anyways?”

“Research?”

Yoona follows Taeyeon’s eyes, “Do you know that man?”

Taeyeon shook her head, “No. I never met him before.”

Yoona cocked her head, “Then why are you staring at him with lasers coming out of your eyes?”

Taeyeon shook her head and turned back to her friend, “I walk by this place often and I see him with a new girl every time. How can scum like that even exist? Why do we allow it to exist?”

Yoona looks past Taeyeon to see the man laughing happily with the other woman as he placed his hand on her thigh, “Maybe because everyone in that restaurant only cares about what they are doing. They probably don’t care that he is here with a new girl because they don’t even see it. If we were going to stop this behavior, you would have to appro-“ Suddenly Taeyeon starts walking into the restaurant, “Tae! Tae! What are you…”

Yoona watched through the window as Taeyeon casually walks into the restaurant saying something to the man before pouring a whole pitcher of water on him. Before the man could retaliate and Yoona could say anything but have agape, Taeyeon walked out grabbing Yoona’s hand, “I think we should run.”

Just then the man wet and furious stormed out of the restaurant and the two girls ran.

------------------

Jessica put down her headset when her class ended. She was about to get up to prepare a meal but the door slamming open made her jump, “T-Tyler…”

The man looked like he was in a rain shower but Jessica didn’t think it rained today. Instinctively she looked out the window anyways but no sign of rain, “ing .”

Jessica was afraid to move from her spot at the computer wondering if she did anything wrong. Tyler started pacing around the room finding a towel in the laundry basket to start drying himself off.

“If I find that girl again…” The man cursed before throwing the towel to the ground and marched into the bedroom leaving Jessica alone in the living room.

With him this furious, Jessica didn’t know what was going to happen so she just waited glued to her chair. She could hear him throwing his clothes around the room and a few things getting knocked over, but when would he come out? That would be answered a few minutes later when Tyler came out with a new set of business-wear on. He hardly glanced towards Jessica as he put his watch back on and cursed all the way out the door.

Seeing he was gone, Jessica let out a breath of relief and sank back into her chair. She wondered if she should take up her sister’s offer to visit because there was a good chance Tyler would return home even angrier than she saw earlier. Whatever got him mad today wasn’t her fault and she was tired of the abuse…maybe her sister was the last safe-haven she had so Jessica picked up the phone, “Krystal?”

 

That night Jessica left her home for what felt like the first time in 3 years. She never defied Tyler or dared to leave him but here she was at her sister’s house asking to be saved.

“Unnie!” Krystal threw herself into Jessica’s arms who held her sister close, “It is has been so long.”

Jessica gave out a light chuckle as she caressed her sister’s back, “I know.”

Breaking from the tight hug Krystal took Jessica’s bag and led her into the house, “So what happened this time? Bad enough to knock some sense into you eh?”

Jessica let herself fall into the couch, “Actually nothing…”

Krystal brought over some water for her sister and herself, “Nothing? Then why did you leave?”

“To see you?”

“Does Tyler know you came to see me?”

Jessica looked down at her glass of water, “No…”

“So why did you leave?” Krystal tucked her legs under, “Jess…I am your sister, there is nothing you need to hide from me. I always have your back. Besides, Tyler knows not to mess with me since I became a cop.”

Jessica smiled as she snuggled closer to her sister, “It just seems weird that I am asking my baby sister for help. I should be the one looking out for you and worrying that you picked such a dangerous profession.”

Krystal laughed, “You make it seem like we live in such a dangerous city.”

“You know what I mean.”

Krystal hugged her sister, “I just want you to open up to someone…if not me…”

Jessica nodded, “I will. Just give me some time okay?”

“Of course.” Krystal kissed her sister on the head glad that Jessica finally took the first step.

------------------

Taeyeon walked down the street whistling a tune in a joyous mood. She didn’t know why she was so happy but there was still a little skip in her step as she walked into the grocery store. For having such a great mood today, Taeyeon thought of making a huge meal so she went around the store picking up items to make lobster bisque and for the fun of it, she also picked up some wine although she couldn’t handle her alcohol very well.

Midway into the store, she accidentally bumped into someone’s cart, “Oh excuse me.”

The girl bowed to Taeyeon and passed by but Taeyeon took a quick glance wondering why the woman looked a bit familiar. Although there was some similarity to someone she knew, Taeyeon just kept walking around picking out ingredients as she didn’t know where most things are in the store. However, luck wasn’t on her side and she ran into the same cart with the same familiar girl from before, “I am really sorry.”

The woman didn’t walk away this time and just stared at Taeyeon who was wondering why those eyes seemed similar to someone else she knew, “I have a feeling we are making the same thing.”

Taeyeon scanned over the cart to see lobster and wine, “well…there was a great sale today.”

The girl reached into Taeyeon’s basket to pick out the wine, “Do you know anything about wine?”

Taeyeon scratched the back of her neck and laughed, “I know it is red and that can be nice.”

“I don’t mean to brag but my family loves tasting wine and I must say I know a fair amount about it. This wine wouldn’t pair well with seafood. I would recommend anything but a red wine. Actually champagne pairs better with things like lobster if you like that.”

Taeyeon looked over at the wine pairing in this woman’s basket, “Sauvignon Blanc?”

“Ah my sister likes the bitter dry wines so we chose that one, but I think a Chardonnay or champagne would be more to your taste.”

Taeyeon nodded along believing everything that this woman told her, “Wow thank you. I would have had a crappy meal without you.”

The woman laughed as she put the wine back and picked out something a red wine lover would like, “Here try this one. Enjoy your meal.”

“Wait! I would like to thank you properly…what is your name?”

The woman turned around and shook Taeyeon’s hand, “Krystal.”

“Ah I am Taeyeon. Thank you for all the advice.”

Krystal was about to walk away when she noticed a few other things out of place in the cart, “Do you know how to cook lobster?”

Taeyeon wondered why she was asked such a strange question, “well you boil it right?”

Krystal didn’t know what was going through her mind when she let the next words slip out of but the forlorn and lost look on Taeyeon’s face made the words dribble out, “you are going to go hungry if I don’t teach you. Do you want me to teach you?”

“I ah…”

“Taeyeon you buy your lobster and I buy mine and come with me to my place. My sister doesn’t know how to cook lobster either so I can show both of you.”

Taeyeon eyed up the girl a bit who seemed harmless, “H-how far away do you live?”

Krystal pointed to the left, “5 minutes.”

Taeyeon looked out the door, “Did you walk?”

“Of course but if you drove…”

Taeyeon shook her head, “train, but it is okay. So umm is there anything else I need to buy?”

Krystal laughed and pulled out a few things from Taeyeon’s basket, “If anything you were going to buy too much.”

--------------------------

Jessica was lounging around in her pajamas while she cleaned the kitchen a bit and picked up a few things in the living room. She was thankful that her sister let her stay with her all this time so she didn’t want to make a mess and be an inconvenience. She offered to cook but her sister was still scarred the one time Jessica burnt an entire meal, but her sister never believed 7 years later she has gotten better. Too lazy to accompany her sister to the food store, she chose to clean instead.

Looking over at the clock, Jessica was starting to wonder if her sister got lost as the food store wasn’t too far from the home. Just when Jessica was about to call her sister, she heard the door unlock. Propping up to greet her sister, Jessica was all smiles when the darker haired girl walked through the door, “Krys…” her thoughts stalled when a shorter woman trailed in with a bag behind her.

“Hey Jessica?” Krystal thought she heard her sister’s voice when she walked in but there was no one in the living room, “Jessica?”

Taeyeon put her things in the kitchen as she glanced around for the woman that was Krystal’s sister.

Eventually, a woman emerged from the bedroom dressed casually, “Krys you are back.”

Krystal greeted her sister with a hug, “Come here and let me introduce Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon looked over and immediately knew why Krystal looked familiar, “Oh I know you.”

Krystal looked back and forth to her sister and Taeyeon, “You know my sister?”

Taeyeon nodded happily, “A while back I ran into her. Do you remember me?”

Of course Jessica remembered Taeyeon but she didn’t want to be too obvious about it, “you made me drop my groceries but now you meet my sister at the store?”

Taeyeon laughed, “It seems. I was chewed out by your sister for my taste in wine.”

Jessica was curious to see what Krystal made her buy, “Oh my sister does have good taste.”

“Hey I bought you the one in my bag that you were dying to have before I left.”

Jessica was happy her sister was going over the top to make her happy after she left her husband, “well…this one will probably go better with the lobster.”

Krystal rolled her eyes as she filled the basin with water, “Alright you two newbies come here so I can teach you the proper way to cook a lobster and stuff.”

Jessica was careful not to stand too close to Taeyeon as she watched her sister cook, but there was some kind of attraction she had to the other woman. She wasn’t quite sure what but there was a force that kept pulling Jessica to her.

“Yah! Airhead pay attention. I am trying to teach you this.”

Jessica snapped her attention back to her sister and glared at Taeyeon who was snickering beside her, “I am.”

Krystal rolled her eyes, “sure you were. Now see how I am doing this?”

Taeyeon nodded along but stole a few glances at Jessica as Krystal explained the different ways to cook a lobster. Needless to say, after tonight, Taeyeon still didn’t know how to cook a lobster and neither did Jessica.

The three ladies sat at the table thanking Krystal for a great meal, “Wow you really do know how to cook a good lobster.”

Jessica picked at her lobster to taste it, “those cooking classes must have been worth it.”

“I told you to come with me Jess. Instead you are stubborn and tried to learn everything yourself.”

Taeyeon smiled at the playful bickering between the sisters. She wondered if she was even needed when Jessica had the support of her sister.

Once the meal was over, the girls moved the conversation to the couch with their wine in hand, “so how long you going to crash here Jess?”

Taeyeon’s ears perked up also wondering if she overstayed her welcome with the sisters starting to talk about something a bit more personal.

Jessica took a large gulp of her wine before laying her head on the couch looking up at the ceiling, “he hasn’t even tried calling me.”

“What a .”

Jessica let out a bitter laugh, “I could see our love fading but I was the only fool to try and keep it going.”

“It isn’t foolish,” Taeyeon finally piped up causing the two sisters to look at the woman, “I mean you can at least say you tried.”

Jessica sighed, “I will go back soon, but I am thinking of a divorce.”

Krystal gave her sister a bitter smile, “I didn’t know you listened to my advice.”

Jessica pushed her sister as she got up for more wine, “sometimes. Taeyeon do you want more?”

Taeyeon looked at her empty glass, “Oh no. I should head home…it is getting late.”

Krystal got up from the couch as she watched her guest reach for her coat, “how far away do you live? Do you need a lift?”

“Oh no I live close.”

“Great!” Krystal got out her phone, “We should exchange numbers.”

Taeyeon was surprised, “Oh…sure.”

Jessica watched her sister curiously, “You both seem so chummy although you met today.”

“Don’t be a downer. You knew her from before and we bonded over good food and wine. Also you need more friends now that you are about to become single.”

Taeyeon chuckled as Krystal handed her phone back, “I don’t mind being your friend too Jessica.”

Jessica blushed a bit before grabbing the phone and entering her number, “d-don’t be a stranger and get home safely.”

“Thank you for the hospitality.” Taeyeon bowed and was about to leave but Krystal stopped her.

“Don’t forget your food. Some of it is in my fridge.” Taeyeon stood aside awkwardly with Jessica as Krystal repacked her groceries, “Sorry we drank all the wine you bought.”

“Oh no! You did much more than that for me. It is better than an evening alone.” Taeyeon put her shoes and left. The night progressed much better than Taeyeon thought.

 

Back in the apartment, Krystal uncorked the next bottle of wine, “haven’t you had enough?”

Krystal raised her brows as she looked at her sister, “It is my night off so no?”

Jessica laughed and joined her sister on the couch, “Want to watch a romance?”

“I trust in your judgement of my movie collection so pick away.” While Jessica was looking for a movie, Krystal looked at her sister curiously, “Taeyeon seems nice.”

Jessica looked back at her sister for a second, “I didn’t know you were one to bring strangers home. Should I be worried while I am staying here?”

“Haha no. I just think Taeyeon is nice. What about you.”

Jessica gave an awkward shrug, “Yea…”

“She is cute too.”

Jessica stopped looking for a movie to glare at her sister, “Are you into her?”

Krystal shrugged back, “nice and cute could mean anything Jess. Now have you found a decent movie?”

Jessica took a random movie and put it into the player.

“Oh John Tucker Must Die. Interesting choice of romantic comedy. Feels like this relates to recent events?”

“Krystal get out of your fantasy world and fill up my wine glass.”

Krystal laughed, “yes mam.”

----------------------------

Jessica didn’t know why Krystal’s words from a few nights ago lingered with her. Of course she noticed Taeyeon was nice and cute. She also realized that Taeyeon and her kept randomly meeting one another, but then again it seems Taeyeon lived close to both her and her sister, so there shouldn’t be anything unusual about that.

In an effort to clear her head, Jessica made her way out of Krystal’s apartment for the first time. She went to get her favorite coffee and sat at the park to enjoy the spring breeze. She looked around and saw the spot Tyler proposed to her. It was strange how that proposal meant so much to her but now, she could hardly look over to the spot.

Krystal asked her if she wanted to move back with Tyler, but Jessica was finding herself content with her current life. She loved living with her sister and found herself not missing Tyler. It seemed like Tyler didn’t care either as he hasn’t even tried contacting her once since she left. Did he really not like her this much?

“Are you going to keep pacing around without even saying hi to me?”

Jessica turned around and to her surprise, she found Taeyeon eating a sandwich, “W-what are you doing here?”

Taeyeon looked down at her food, “It is lunch?”

Jessica looked at her watch quickly. She didn’t even realize she had been roaming around this park for nearly 2 hours, “I didn’t know…”

Taeyeon noticed the coffee in Jessica’s hand, “Please don’t tell me that you were only planning to have coffee for lunch.”

Jessica laughed, “No. I just didn’t realize that time got away from me.”

Taeyeon patted the seat next to her, “all your pacing around made me feel tired so sit.”

Jessica was reluctant to sit but she did anyways, “How long were you watching me?”

“Maybe 10 minutes? It was basically lunch and a show. You were mumbling, looking at that tree for a while and then you would look sad and then happy. It was strange.”

Jessica didn’t know if she should be embarrassed or not with her actions, “I was just thinking about something.”

“Care to share?” Taeyeon finished her sandwich so she could give Jessica her whole attention.

Jessica sighed, “I was proposed to there. I can’t tell if I feel happy to have been asked such an important question or if that was the beginning of something horrible.”

Taeyeon looked down at the ring, “No one knows the future. Happy moments and sad moments are expected to come in every stage of your life. Cherish the happy and forget the sad…as humans, that is something you must do?”

Jessica played with the ring on her finger, “I want to forget the happy too.”

“Then do that…” Taeyeon nearly choked on her words feeling the incredible sadness Jessica was giving off.

“Taeyeon…I….” Jessica began.

“You ! How dare you just run off on me?!”

Jessica and Taeyeon were alarmed to hear Tyler approaching. Jessica sat there as a statue as Taeyeon stood up immediately to protect Jessica.

“Girl move! I need to talk to my wife!”

Taeyeon looked back at Jessica who was clearly shaken, “No. I think you are the one that should leave.”

Tyler laughed, “what? Are you her bodyguard?”

“Just a friend.”

Tyler looked at the way Jessica started to clutch onto Taeyeon’s jacket and gave out a bitter laughed, “don’t tell me that you ran away from me for some chick.”

Taeyeon and Jessica were surprised, “W-what?”

“How dare you cheat on me!”

“Woah woah I think you have the wrong idea.”

Tyler shoved Taeyeon aside and picked Jessica up by her shoulders, “Is that what you did? Cheat behind my back and think you could just run away?”

Jessica was already crying out of fear so Taeyeon came up and pushed Jessica out of his grasp, “Get away from her! Can’t you see that you are the reason she doesn’t want to be with you? You are violent and possessive!”

“What the did you say?” Tyler raised his hand to slap Taeyeon but another face blocked the contact, “Jessica…”

Biting away the sting, Jessica stared Tyler back, “Leave me alone!” Both Taeyeon and Tyler stood back stunned at Jessica’s outburst, “Tyler I can’t stand this abuse! Just tell me you don’t love me anymore so we can end this.”

Tyler stood back as he watched his wife cry.

Taeyeon came to Jessica’s side to check her cheek that started to swell, “Are you okay?”

Not knowing what to do, Tyler stepped back, “I-If you want to leave, get your stuff out of my house.”

Taeyeon glared at the cowardly man run away before turning her attention back onto Jessica, “We should get some ice on this. Come on, my home is not too far.”

Jessica didn’t even lift her head as she followed Taeyeon back to the small apartment. It was big enough for one person and that was it, but at the same time it seemed very cozy and welcoming, “here compress this on your cheek.”

Jessica nodded as she put the cold pack of peas on her face.

“You didn’t have to do that you know.”

“It isn’t the first time…” Jessica managed to whisper.

Taeyeon continued to watch Jessica cautiously, “He hit you before right?”

Jessica nodded.

Sighing, Taeyeon sat back watching Jessica shaking from fear, “why didn’t you leave him before?”

“I was still in love…even if he yelled or raised his hand…I thought maybe I deserved it.”

Taeyeon wanted to cry with Jessica, “no one deserves that.”

Sniffling Jessica decided to put the pack down, “I really thought I was a bad wife.”

Taeyeon reached up to wipe the tears away, “I doubt that. You put all the effort into this marriage but he was the one that fell short. Don’t make him the victim.”

Jessica saw the worry and concern on Taeyeon’s face as the other girl continued to console her. Maybe that was what real love looked like.

Taeyeon saw the girl unable to calm down so she pulled her into a hug. Jessica could feel the warmth encompass her body from the inside out and that is when she felt completely at peace.

 

Jessica woke up to an unfamiliar location with a blanket that smelled like vanilla. Looking around the sun had set and the smaller apartment was dark. Knowing she fell asleep in Taeyeon’s arms, Jessica looked around for the smaller girl who was sleeping on the floor. Smiling, Jessica observed the sleeping face of the other woman for a while until a phone started to ring. Jessica jumped to get her phone before Taeyeon woke up but it was too late and Taeyeon looked around to see Jessica apologizing.

“Hello? Oh no I am fine…I just lost track of time at Taeyeon’s house. I am sorry you worried. Okay bye.”

Taeyeon rubbed her eyes, “Your sister?”

“Yea…she was worried that I haven’t come home yet.”

Taeyeon quickly got up and realized it was near 10pm, “Should I walk you home?”

“It is late…”

Taeyeon arched her brow before she let out a soft smile, “I will get you a pillow.”

Jessica didn’t know why she felt so bashful over inviting herself to stay the night with Taeyeon but something about this place made her feel safe and warm. Although Krystal was a police officer that made her feel very safe, Jessica knew everything would be alright if she stayed by Taeyeon’s side.

-----------------------------

“Are you sure about this Jess?” Jessica sighed as she reached for the papers from the court clerk.

“I don’t see any other way.”

Krystal patted her sister on the back, “As long as you thought about it. Mom and dad won’t be happy but I am sure they will understand when we explain what happened.”

“Dad will probably try and kill him,” Jessica laughed trying to lighten-up the mood.

“Not if I get to him first.”

“You had your chance.” Jessica said as the two sisters left the courthouse, “I just have to get him to sign this.”

“That means you will have to face him again. Do you think he will sign?”

Jessica sighed as she looked around, “I don’t know.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“I should do it on my own.”

“Jess…he hit you…I just want you to be safe.” Krystal looked at her sister with concern.

“I know, but I made the decision to marry him and I need to make it clear that I want to divorce him.”

Krystal sighed as she knew her sister wanted to do this alone but she couldn’t help but worry that Jessica might get hurt again, “Can I at least wait outside of the door?”

Jessica knew Krystal was very worried so she agreed to that one condition, but going to face the man that abused her was scary. She couldn’t shake off the nerves when she stood at the home that was previously hers. This place was full of so many more bad memories than good.

“Jess I will be right out here. If he tries anything, just yell and I will come in okay?”

Jessica gave her sister one last hug before entering the residence.

The home seemed dark and clothes were strewn everywhere. Tyler didn’t seem to make any effort to clean up while she was gone.

“What are you doing here.”

Jessica clung onto her purse tightly before taking out the papers, “I want a divorce.”

“Do you now?” Tyler snickered.

“Yes. I really did love you Tyler but I don’t believe you do anymore.”

Tyler snatched the papers out of her hands, “You have some nerve to come in here and ask for a divorce. I have done so much for you all these years. There would be no roof over your head and no food on that table if it weren’t for me!”

Jessica was firm to stand her ground, “You would have no food on that table if I didn’t cook it and as I can see now, you would not have a livable home if I didn’t clean it!”

Tyler was surprised Jessica didn’t just surrender to him like she always did, “W-well I don’t want a divorce.”

Jessica sighed, “Why not? What are you holding onto? Time didn’t make our love better and I know you were seeing other girls.”

Tyler looked at the papers in hand, “how long did you…”

“For a while now. I thought you were going through some kind of phase but finding laundry that wasn’t mine or yours….it broke my heart every time. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t be the only one here suffering alone so please let me go and you can also live a life where you don’t feel burdened by me anymore.”

Tyler knew Jessica was right. There was no reason to hold onto an empty marriage anymore so he reached for a pen and signed the papers.

When Jessica left the building she wasn’t expecting Tyler to run after her or tell her that he was sorry. She was just happy that she finally got a clean break from the turmoil she was living in for the past few years.

“How’d it go?”

Jessica waved the papers at her sister, “He agreed.”

Krystal was amazed that the man didn’t resist, “I am impressed. When did you get this confident?”

“I really don’t know,” Jessica chuckled, “I feel like there were words whispered to me the whole time that I could do this.”

“Was it my voice?”

“No,” Jessica shoved her sister although the voice sounded familiar, “Hey Krystal do you mind if I catch you later? There is someone I want to see.”

“Wow ditching your sister? All the things I have done for you.”

Jessica waved down the car, “Love you too sis!”

Giving the driver the address, Jessica felt very happy for once. At the moment, there was only one person she wanted to share her happiness with.

-----------------------

Taeyeon spent the morning clearing out her apartment. She was relieved that her current assignment finished up but sad that she needed to move from the area. Maybe her friend was right that she gets too attached to her assignments. Looking out the window, Taeyeon smiled and remembered a few things that made her time in the apartment so enjoyable.

Nearly all packed, the doorbell rang so Taeyeon got up and answered, “Jessica?”

All smiles, Jessica greeted Taeyeon, “I have some news.”

Taeyeon ushered the woman into her home, “Please come in.”

“I asked for a divorce.”

Taeyeon acted surprised, “wow…should I be congratulating you? This is good news right?”

Jessica sat down on the couch, “I think it was long overdue.”

Taeyeon sat next to Jessica, “so you are divorced…are you living with your sister now?”

“Temporarily while the divorce is filed and I get a more stable job.”

“The more important question is are you happy?”

Jessica smiled to herself, “I think I am.”

“Then that is all that matters.”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon but she noticed all the boxes lying around, “are you moving?”

Taeyeon gave Jessica a sad smile, “I can’t stay here.”

“Where are you going?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “to wherever I am needed.”

“I don’t want you to go…”

Taeyeon gave out a laugh, “I won’t go far I promise.”

Jessica looked into Taeyeon’s eyes and saw the same heavenly glow the first time she met the girl, “promise…”

“Really…if you call I can come right back.”

Jessica wasn’t thinking when she leaned in and kissed the other girl, but the way her body warmed and tingled to the sensation was almost overwhelming. The kiss made Jessica feel like she was floating and falling at the same time but she was holding onto the fall until she needed air to breathe. One unforgettable kiss.

------------------------

Yoona came up behind Taeyeon with a pack of pocky, “I was told you got another gift than my generosity here.”

Taeyeon laughed as she took the chocolate covered stick, “I am too nice sometimes.”

Yoona jabbed Taeyeon in the side, “you player! I saw her and I agree you to have a relationship.”

Taeyeon walked to the edge of the building looking at a certain direction, “an angel having a relationship with a human…it sounds like a fiction novel.”

Yoona smiled as she walked to the edge of the building with her friend, “you make it sound like it has never happened before.”

Taeyeon laughed as she continued to look off into the distance, “I think I hear my name being called." Spreading out her wings, Taeyeon breathed in the fresh air as Yoona watched her friend fly off into the distance.

Putting a pocky in , Yoona watched the angel fly into the skyline, “an angel and a human romance,” Yoona laughed, “not like it hasn’t been done before.”

Spreading her wings, Yoona dropped off the edge of the building back into the City of Angels.

 

 

~END~