Splitting Pins

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

“Morning Tae!”

The older girl smiled happily at her friend behind the counter, “Sunny! You should have told me you were working today.”

“Aish you come here every day. No use for me to tell you when you will figure it out eventually.”

“Will you have some time off to hit a few with me?”

Sunny looked behind her, “The other worker comes in about an hour. I can join you for a while then.”

“Awesome.” Taeyeon looked around and smiled when she saw her lane open, “9?”

Sunny laughed, “I feel like I subconsciously leave that lane open for you.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I didn’t know I was that important.”

“Yea yea team captain...not important?” Sunny said sarcastically, “Anyway, go out and practice and stop bothering the staff.”

Taeyeon smiled happily before making her way to lane number 9. She kicked off her sandals before slipping on her socks and custom-made bowling shoes. One would think that a big filled with two bowling balls would be heavy for a girl of her stature but the girl has been doing this for nearly 15 years. Her father spent a brief time on the professional bowling circuit to which his daughter, Taeyeon, always admired. Wanting to follow in her dad’s footsteps, the girl took up bowling at age 4. Now that she is turning 19, she is eligible to join the professional circuit if she competes in the tournament at the end of the year. However, instead of performing individually, Taeyeon found more excitement in competing with her bowling league. They were one of the top two teams in the area which made Taeyeon proud of the girls she played with.

After Taeyeon cleaned her balls, Taeyeon sat down preparing to play against herself. She always had fun in giving herself funny names for practice. Since there were 5 girls per team on the all-girls teams, Taeyeon put in 5 names which she thought were suitable to play against herself. With the “go” sign, Taeyeon picked up her ball and assumed her position. Her fingers didn’t go in the holes since her dad taught her the proper way to bowl and that was to put a hard spin on the ball. Although this way was much harder for women due to their smaller hands, Taeyeon managed to do this technique flawlessly.

The girl took 4 quick steps and released the ball. As usual, the ball hung the right side of the lane until it did the curve right before hitting the pins. STRIKE! Taeyeon smiled in victory since she was already bowling great with the first ball. Yet it wasn’t a surprise since she was on her lucky lane today. Taeyeon looked up at the board seeing the cartoon blow up the pins, one of her favorite of the 5 that could play.

After waiting for her ball to come back up, Taeyeon took her ball and positioned same as before, released and waited. The right corner pin didn’t go down this time making Taeyeon tap her foot in frustration, “Aish...’Kid Leadah’ you ” the girl said to her fake name on the board. She wanted that pin down now so she picked up her second ball that was only used in case she had to use her second chance. This time her technique had to be accuracy so she put her fingers in the ball before aiming at that last pin. With it’s straight course, Taeyeon hit the pin square to get her final pin down.

After an hour, Taeyeon looked at the board for the final frame and it looked like “TY” was beating “Byuntae” by two pins who was beating “Paper Doll” and “Kid Leadah” by one, but she cursed at “Loner” who was trailing by 3 points behind those two.  Taeyeon wanted to finish with a nearly perfect game, since she had a spare somewhere in the middle of the frame under her “TY” alias, Taeyeon aimed to get three strikes to finish up the game. Pretending this was a competition, Taeyeon breathed in and out slowly to calm her nerves before releasing the first ball as a strike, second strike, and the last one...strike! Taeyeon started jumping up and down making onlookers raising their brows to what made the girl so excited. When people saw the score board, most couldn’t believe that she did so well while others knew of the protégé, but were still impressed with the massive score.

“Wow. You are on fire Tae.”

Taeyeon looked back smiling when she saw Sunny, “I am making those pins wish they weren’t meant to put up!”

Sunny laughed as the girl did some weird ‘-whooping’ gesture, “Oh God you are embarrassing. Also what is up with those weird names?”

Taeyeon looked up at her board, “What? TY is what I use in normal competition.”

“Not that one. Byuntae? Really?”

Taeyeon giggled, “Yea. That one is next. I will see if I can get a triple to make that one second place.”

Sunny rolled her eyes before taking a seat. She watched the girl spin the ball in to her first strike but she messed up the second one to finish up that frame with a spare. In the end, “TY” won and then “Paper Doll,” “Byuntae,” “Kid Leadah,” and to no surprise “Loner” still was last.

Sunny got up from her seat to reset the board so she could do one frame with Taeyeon, “Alright, let’s see how you do against some real competition.”

Taeyeon laughed, “You think you can beat your team captain?”

“Not at all. We both know there is one person in this area that could and she is...”

Taeyeon covered Sunny’s mouth, “Don’t mention that name! It is like a curse. I can never get my perfect game when that girl is here.”

“Well man up Tae since she is playing with her team against us at the end of the week.”

Taeyeon stole Sunny’s ball and rolled a perfect strike to start off the game, “I plan on bringing it.”

------------------------------

It was a late Thursday night with customers gathered around on a busy night. Some people that lived farther away even came to watch these two teams face off. Why would so many people come to watch a league game? Simple reason is that the two best female bowlers that are prospected to turn professional are facing off with their teams. One was gifted and trained from her father while the other came late to the bowling world but with her natural gift, she dominated from the start. If not for their talents, these 10 girls were very beautiful which is something those drunk guys by the bar liked to watch.

“Alright we both know the rules so let’s have a friendly match. Keep the trash talking down girls since we have kids around okay?” The ten girls nodded at the owner of the bowling alley, “This is for the girl’s league championship. No other teams can catch up either of your win counts so whoever wins here will get the title.”

Taeyeon tightened her wrist wrap while she eyed out the other team captain who wasn’t giving Taeyeon any attention which annoyed the older girl. Well it didn’t matter she guessed and leaned back in her chair since the coin toss signaled for the other team to go first and Taeyeon was always placed as the fifth bowler since she was the best and had a chance to get three strikes in the 10th frame.

First up was always the second strongest on the team to make sure the game started off strong. For team Genie, they always started with the tallest of the bunch, Sooyoung. She was known for her natural athletic stature with long legs which gave her a slight advantage over Taeyeon’s team that was packed with short people, including herself. “Come on Soo strike!” Giving the pins a piercing glare, Sooyoung was set to lay them all down and she didn’t disappoint.

With the first strike, Taeyeon’s team Lion Heart was at a slight disadvantage but they had hopes for their oldest member, BoA. Like Taeyeon she trained for many years and although not as skilled as Taeyeon, was equally great at the sport. Matching Sooyoung, BoA managed to get a strike.

For the second bowler, was always the weakest. Due to the first bowler being the second best, they always relied on them to get a strike so that it didn’t put too much pressure on the next bowler to do really well with their first ball. For team Genie, this was Yuri. Their only black hole of the team although her also tall height was nearly the opposite of Sooyoung with ability. The girl swung back and got 6 but covered with a spare.

Team Lion Heart’s weakest was Sunny although she spent a lot of time practicing with Taeyeon since she worked at the bowling alley. Some would say it was just because she didn’t have the natural talent but the girl worked hard which paid off since she got a strike putting Taeyeon’s team at a great advantage.

Taeyeon sent a smirk at the other team captain who was now giving her a searing glare back before mouthing ‘lucky’. Taeyeon could only laugh at the girl since she had one up on her early on.

Third to go from team Genie was Seohyun. She needed to pick up something good on her first ball to get the extra points from that spare. Not disappointing her team captain, she managed a 9 and picked up her spare. It wasn’t as good as a strike but not that bad.

For team Lion Heart, Tiffany was the next to go and she got a 8-2 spare, letting their team remain in the lead although one mistake could put them behind. To play catch up for team Genie was Yoona who got a strike. That girl was always coming in to save the team at the last minute which was why she was placed fourth. Cool under pressure. Hyoyeon was the same way and gained a 9-1 spare for team Lion Heart.

However, the crowd wasn’t interested in the first 4 girls of the teams. The main event was always between the two team captains. First up was team Genie and their captain Jessica Jung. Cool under pressure with her icy personality, pretty like a goddess, and put fear into all with her natural gift of bowling. The total package. Jessica gave Taeyeon a wink before winding up and pulling out a very beautiful strike for her team. Taeyeon groaned when she saw the girl b with confidence.

Taeyeon was however not far off from Jessica. Her skills were well polished, she was y but cute and had a warm personality but all knew not to mess with her skills. She breathed in and out before watching that ball curve to another strike. With her teammates crowding her, Taeyeon was hugged and congratulated while they had a lead in half. However, Taeyeon wanted to rub her victory in Jessica’s face so she looked at the girl and put her thumb under her chin mouthing ‘you die.’

Due to this being a league competition, it was always a best 2 out of 3 team scored rounds. Taeyeon’s team won the first round and was on the verge of winning the second round if Taeyeon could manage to pull out two strikes in the last frame. Although, if she did get a spare and then a strike, she could manage to pull out a win. Jessica was not willing to go down without a fight. She knew Taeyeon had a weakness and was willing to give it a try to make the girl falter.

Taeyeon did a few breathing exercises before going to get her ball but right before she could pick up the ball, Jessica stood before her leaning over to show some cleavage, “Don’t mess up Taeyeon.”

Fail. Taeyeon’s eyes immediately went to look down at that beautiful cleavage in front of her face. The girl was certainly gifted in the chest area that made the byuntae side of Taeyeon oogle at those round globes of perfection. Jessica saw the girl on the verge of drooling so she backed away with a smirk and took a seat next to her teammates.

Sunny rolled her eyes at Jessica’s little move there so she got up to give Taeyeon a firm talking to and hopefully get the girl to focus. “Taeyeon! Yah byuntae!”

Taeyeon stopped daydreaming when she heard Sunny call out to her, “What?”

Sunny put her hands on her hips, “You. Focus. We need two strikes from you.” Taeyeon was about to turn her head to look at that chest one more time but Sunny grabbed the girl’s face to look at her, “Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon saw Sunny’s seriousness in her furrowed brows, “I got it. Two strikes. Two strikes.”

Sunny searched the girl’s eyes to see if she was lost in -land or was ready to flatten some pins, “Don’t put your mind in the gutter or your ball will go there too. Got it?”

“Got it.”

“Now show them some Kim Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon put on her serious face before taking her ball, “Come on Taeyeon. You got this.” She said to self-motivate. She took her four steps and released the ball. The course seemed good and hit the pins! Yet that last one wobbled but didn’t fall. Everyone that was holding their breath released it in disappointment. Taeyeon tapped her foot in frustration before grabbing her other ball and flattening that ball for a spare.

This time Sunny stood guard to make sure Jessica didn’t try anything else to divert Taeyeon’s focus. They wanted to end this thing right here and now which means Taeyeon needed that strike. Trying to get her focus back, Taeyeon took her breaths before letting that ball spin. Her eyes bulged when she saw that all the pins were down.

“Yeah!!!!” Team Lion Heart said in unison before picking up their team captain that secured their win in shut out. Jessica groaned in disappointment but smiled at Taeyeon’s victory nonetheless.

Most of the people from the team hung around to celebrate with pizza and older teammates like BoA had a beer. Taeyeon was strolling to the bathroom by herself since Sunny decided to fill her bladder with a ton of soda.

“Well...I think I need to find new ways to distract you. I think you are becoming immune to some of my techniques.”

Taeyeon smiled when she heard that voice and turned around to see Jessica approaching, “Oh trust me, it still works. Sunny is just getting better at making me focus.”

“Ah...that shorty needs to get lost while I am trying to get you distracted.”

Taeyeon laughed before reaching for Jessica’s hand, “I don’t mind it if you try those distraction techniques now that the game is over.”

Jessica giggled before making Taeyeon back up on the wall to press the length of her body on the girl, “Oh yea? You mean like this.”

Taeyeon was grinning in victory, “Something like this.”

“Or would you rather have me do this?” Jessica leaned in and kissed the withering girl that she pinned on the wall before pulling the older girl’s lip gently as they separated.

“O-oh God...yes.”

Jessica smirked at the fact that she could make Taeyeon so weak, “I am glad things like that still work on my girlfriend.”

Taeyeon leaned forward to gently kiss Jessica’s lips a few more times, “So you want to get out of here?”

Jessica smiled while her lips were still on Taeyeon’s, “Oh I am ready to have you split my pins.”

Taeyeon giggled at Jessica’s with bowling lingo, “I only bowl strikes.”

Jessica leaned back and caressed Taeyeon’s face, “I thought we were experimenting tonight on doing something new.”

Taeyeon could feel her ears redden, “I think it is time we split this party too.”

Jessica giggled as her byuntae of a girlfriend dragged her out of the bowling alley to distract each other the rest of the night.

 

 

~END~

 

 

 


Author's Note

Oh your author is so bad. I watched Soshi bowling and then this comes to mind...yea...erted author is back in action.