The Gift

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

They say gifts can come in all shapes and sizes, but the gift I received was greater than any material possession. I was given the gift of a sister.

Out of my 14 years of life, I have never known my parents but my sister, Jessica, was the one to always be there for me. I was conceived unconventionally by a donor when my mother had some kind of mid-life crisis and opted for a baby. My sister also had no contact with her biological father because he left our mother after the news of Jessica’s conception. Either way, Jessica and I had different fathers yet neither of us knew who he really was. I wish I could share the commonality of having a mother too but about a week after my birth, my mother died of a pulmonary embolism that entered her brain. It was sudden and rare.

Jessica was only 14 at the time when she became a sister and mother to me. Having no parents, we both moved in to live with our grandparents however, with their old age, they were hardly fit to take care of a new born, toddler, child, and now an adolescent. My sister was really my caretaker the years I grew up. She was the one changing my diapers, making sure we were fed, playing with me so I wouldn’t get bored...you could say she was my super hero, idol, or whatever but she just called me her sister.

I often wondered how my sister managed to live her life when she had to also care for mine. Other than the large inheritance by our mother, that was the only help I remember Jessica receiving. Although I never met my mother in person, I thank her every day for not putting the burden of money onto my sister since I was a full time job after school for her.

Since Jessica entered high school around the time of my birth, she had to balance her hectic college prep time with me in the mix. As I enter high school, I couldn’t imagine doing what she did at the time. Long hours of study while I was crying in the background because I was either hungry, tired, wet or lonely. I was too young to understand that my sister needed time for her studies or even a relationship. It was all about me, me, me.

When I turned 4, I was able to enter a regular school routine while Jessica entered college. Although I was now in school, Jessica’s routine never changed; It was always school during the day and me during the night. Her classes were harder but to my knowledge, she never complained when I bothered her in the night because I wet my bed although she had an exam in the morning. She also never complained that making my lunch every morning would waste 30 minutes of her time to sleep before she had to go about her day.

One day, when I was old enough to understand what my sister did for me, I asked her how she could smile every day catering to me. She only replied with, “Because I love you.”

My idol and hero was my sister and that was summed up with the word ‘love.’

Since that day, I wondered if I have I shown her enough love in return? Yet, how can I give her enough love for 14 years of my life? I decided on one thing, I needed to get her a gift. Not just any gift! One that would be big enough to fill in 14 years of her love and dedication to me. Most would think that a gift like that isn’t conceivable but I thought if I was given the gift in the form of a person, why couldn’t I?

Now it would be unrealistic to say that my sister has never dated in her whole life. She is beautiful, outgoing and has a kind heart. Of course many guys have fallen for her and on occasion she would accept the simple dates. The two reasons that all the relationships failed were because Jessica wasn’t interested or the guy found out about me. Jessica had a no tolerance policy to anyone taking me from her life and well most men 14-20 years old didn’t like the idea that they could be taking care of me in the future.

For my sister, love always failed.

Yet, I chose the gift of a person. My sister needed a lover. She needed someone to care for her and make sure she can feel loved every day of her life just as she did for me. Although this seems like a hopeless quest, I already found the perfect candidate. The only obstacle I see here is that it isn’t a he...but a she.

 

“Krystal have you seen my keys?”

I walked around in my pajamas in a daze since my sister woke me up only a few minutes ago, “I saw them in my sleep on the couch.”

Jessica sighed as she moved to the living room where her keys happened to be, “I hope they didn’t end up here because you slept walked again.”

“How would I know if I was sleeping?”

“I don’t understand your strange sleeping habits, but I think you should lay off the soda before bed. I have a meeting tonight so there is dinner in the fridge when you get home from school.” Jessica smiled at me before giving me a kiss on the cheek, “be a good girl at school.”

I smiled back at my sister before she left our home. Six years ago, my grandfather died and 1 year later, my grandmother died leaving the house to just me and Jessica. Both of us were too caught up in our own affairs to clear out most of their belongings so I sat on the old wooden chair with my cereal in a porcelain bowl as I prepared myself for an uneventful day at school.

 

The school day went by normally with the occasional quiz, turning in of homework and chatting with friends, “What are you doing after school Krystal?”

I grinned at my best friend, “I was thinking of going by the animal shelter since Jessica is working late again.”

“If you want to get that puppy, then why don’t you just adopt...maybe make it a surprise to your sister?”

I laughed, “My sister is not fond of dogs and what if the real owner shows up?”

“But that puppy was so cute! In no time it will get adopted...the owner would have come by now.”

I sighed thinking that the puppy would be a nice addition to our little family but if I failed to care for it, Jessica would be taking care of another living being. Unneeded burden in our house although the puppy needed a home, “I don’t think I can, but I can visit and play with him as long as he is still in the animal shelter.”

My friend just shrugged, “If that is what you want to do.”

I smiled because that is exactly what I wanted to do. It gave me a chance to interact with a particular vet at the animal shelter. On que the bell rang and I bid all my friends goodbye so I could head over to the animal shelter right away.

It was a small shelter a few blocks away from our school so I could walk there, “Welcome! Oh you are back?”

I smiled at the secretary, “Yes...could I possibly?”

Being this the 3rd or 4th time I have visited the secretary just smiled, “I will call her to take you back.”

I went to take a seat but before my could touch the cushion, the vet walked in, “Krystal! You are back. Here to see Ginger again?”

“Of course!”

A little over a week ago I was leaving school when a strange whining was coming from a bush. At first I thought it could be a baby but when I cleared the brush, I saw this black fluffball with its dark eyes shining into my heart. I know that sounds cheesy but the dog had already made me love him. With the puppy whining rather loudly, I thought he might be hurt so I walked him over to the local animal shelter with my friend Victoria. That was when I met the kindest and beautiful vet, Dr. Kim. She found out the dog had a small sprain and suffered from malnutrition. The vet must have seen the concern my eyes as she took the dog back so she told me if I wanted to check up on him, I was welcomed back any time.

Two days later I returned to see if the dog was healthier and to my astonishment, the malnutrition was all under control. The dog still had a limp from the sprain but the dog was no longer whining, “I decided to call him Ginger.”

I looked up at the vet cluelessly, “Ginger? But he is black not red?”

The woman laughed, “I know but he responds well to that name.”

It started to become routine for me to come to the animal shelter after school after that. I got to know more about the vet. She was new in the area after finishing her veterinary degree in another city. I noticed she was not married and had the courage to ask if she was seeing anyone. With her baby-face, she just giggled, “You are a curious girl, but I am not. New town lets me get to meet new people although I spend most of my time here with these animals.”

Although I have only known her for a short amount of time, I felt as if she was a second sister to me. I could see that she was someone my sister needed. Neither party knew what I had planned but was advent on getting the two together. This was the day I was going to get the ball rolling.

I followed Dr. Kim to the back where Ginger was, “Is he doing well today?”

She smiled, “He is great. No more limp so the sprain looks almost completely healed.”

I grinned as I took him into my arms while he snuggled up to my warmth, “Awww aren’t you cute. I want to just take you home.”

“Why don’t you? He has taken a liking to you.”

I bit my lip in concern, “I am not sure if my sister would let me.”

“What would your parents say?”

I looked down petting the dog, “We don’t have parents. Just me and my sister.”

“Oh, I am sorry...” The doctor said with remorse.

“It has always been just me and my sister. I never knew my parents unlike my sister who knew our mother.”

“So your sister raised you?”

I looked up into the doctor’s eyes, “Yes. She is one amazing woman.”

“She must be,” The doctor reached out to pet the dog, “Well he is mostly well behaved if you change your mind about adoption, I think she would love him just as much as you.”

I kissed the dog on the head before handing him back to the vet, “I will talk to her about it. I really want to take him home.”

Dr. Kim locked the cage before walking with me back out, “I will be here this weekend if you want to show him to your sister.”

“I will think about it. Thanks Dr. Kim.”

She smiled, “You are always welcomed Krystal. Take care of yourself.”

I was skipping on the way out knowing that my sister could meet Dr. Kim that weekend. Now I just have to convince my sister to come over to the animal shelter.

 

“Busy this weekend?”

Jessica hung up heels in the closet, “This weekend? It is my time to spend with my adorable sister, what do we have planned?”

I sprawled myself out on her bed looking at the ceiling while she undressed into something more comfortable after a long day of work, “I was thinking of going out...maybe a movie or something?”

I felt Jessica sit down on the bed next to me, “Movies? We did that last weekend.”

Jessica started playing with my hair as I closed my eyes, “I know, but there is a new action movie that is calling my name!”

Jessica giggled, “Okay. You don’t have to convince me, I would go with you as long as you don’t drag me into a horror movie again.”

I laughed at the time Jessica ran out of the movie crying, “Oh! Maybe we can go to the park too? The day looks nice.”

“Park? What park?”

“The one near my school.”

“Oh... that sounds nice. An indoor and outdoor activity.”

I nodded as I got lost in the feeling of Jessica’s nails scrapping on my scalp, “Well, I am tired and if we have so much planned for tomorrow, you should get some sleep too.”

Turning to my side, I looked at my sister’s groggy face, “can I sleep with you tonight?”

Jessica looked shocked for a second but smiled as she rolled up the sheets, “Well aren’t you being affectionate to your poor sister today.”

I snuggled under the sheets, “It is because you are the only sister I have.”

 

The next day, I breathed in the fresh air as I walked next to my sister, “it is nice out.”

I nodded happily because my sister had no idea what I had planned, “told you!”

Jessica giggled at my antics but tried to keep up with my brisk pace, “You seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere?”

I turned around to face my sister, “Not really, the sun gives me energy after being stuck in a school all week.”

Jessica sighed, “I know what it is like. You forget your sister sits in an office all day without the chance of sunshine.”

“Then you should be bursting with energy like me!” I ran slightly ahead when I saw the animal shelter, “Jessica! Animals!” Knowing Jessica would chase after me, I ran into the building quickly before she could protest her hatred of animals. I walked into the animal shelter slightly out of breath causing the secretary to arch her eyebrow at me but the woman didn’t have a chance to talk to me as Jessica came in ranting.

“What the heck Krystal running off?? To a place like this?”

Right on cue, Dr. Kim came out, “Place like this?”

Jessica looked speechless for a second, “I ah didn’t mean...you see my sister just ran off into here.”

Dr. Kim smiled at me, “Hello Krystal, I take it this might be your sister?”

I gave the doctor a fake pout, “Yes the one that probably won’t let me keep Ginger.”

Dr. Kim laughed as she held out her hand, “Hello, I am Taeyeon. I am the vet here.”

I could see Jessica was trying to figure out why we knew each other but my sister automatically held out her hand, “Nice to meet you. I am Jessica.”

“Did you want to meet Ginger?”

Jessica looked back at me, “Who is Ginger?”

By this time, I could see that Dr. Kim figured out what was really going on, “Krystal found a puppy a while ago and has been helping me take care of him. Do you want to meet him?”

Jessica gave me a side glare but smiled at Dr. Kim, “Since we are here...”

“Great! Just follow me.” Dr. Kim led us to the back with all the animals. Jessica grimaced and backed away from the cages with dogs barking and cats sleeping, “Here he is. Krystal do you want to hold him?” I nodded happily as Dr. Kim opened the cage so I could scoop the dog into my arms, “He really likes Krystal.”

I smiled as I showed off Ginger to my sister who was looking at the dog with curiosity, “He is so small...”

“Of course. He is just a puppy, but this breed won’t become all that much bigger.”

I looked up at Jessica with pleading eyes, “I want to keep him.”

With that plea, I could see shock and fright flash in her eyes, “Krystal...”

I pouted for a bit before handing Ginger back to Dr. Kim, “I know. Thanks Dr. Kim...I won’t come back here since I can’t have him.”

Dr. Kim looked at us both in surprise, “Krystal, even if you can’t keep him...you can still come by and care for him until he gets adopted.”

I gave my sister a pair of innocently sad eyes before looking down, “I don’t want to get too attached to him if someone else has to have him.”

“Krystal...I ah...” Jessica started.

“Do you want a job?”

I looked up at Dr. Kim in surprise, “Job?”

“Well more like volunteer...here at the shelter. We always need some help and you can see Ginger whenever you want. I can’t stop him from getting adopted but you should spend as much time as possible with him while you can.”

I looked back up at Jessica, “What do you think?”

Jessica sighed, “I can always pick you up when I return from work...that is if you really want to do this.”

“I do!” I said with excitement because I knew this would start a happy cycle of bonding.

 

It took two weeks until I was able to drag Jessica back into the animal shelter, “Jessica you have to see this!”

Jessica was reluctant to enter the place again but I managed to drag my sister back into the place, “Hello Jessica,” Dr. Kim greeted as we both entered.

“Jessica we have been training Ginger and watch!” I took the treat from Dr. Kim, “Ginger sit,” the dog sat, “Ginger paw,” and he gave me his paw so I rewarded him with the treat, “Amazing right!?”

Dr. Kim and I were looking up at Jessica for her reaction and approval, “So he is doing well?”

I stood up and pouted at my sister, “that is all you got from that? The dog is brilliant!”

Jessica looked down at Dr. Kim as if to seek her opinion on my genius claim, “He is doing well and seems to listen to Krystal very well.” I was a bit sad that Dr. Kim only agreed with my sister, “Krystal why don’t you take Ginger back so we can close up for the night.”

“You are going home Dr. Kim?”

I looked back at the interaction between my sister and Dr. Kim, “You can call me Taeyeon and I normally leave early every other Thursday night. I have to have my down time too.”

“What if the animal is hurting?”

Taeyeon giggled, “I am not the only vet and if that is the case, my phone number is on the door for emergency.”

I shook my head at the fact that Jessica didn’t seem to understand that animal shelters do close at a certain time, “Ginger you be good while I am gone home. See you tomorrow.” After making sure all the animals had their water and made sure some other things were in order, I went back out to see Dr. Kim talking to the secretary while Jessica waited for me on the couch.

“Are you done?”

“Yep! We can leave.” I looked back at Dr. Kim, “Dr. Kim? Would you want to come have dinner with us? You said you were new to the area and all...” My heart was beating rapidly with the bold claim.

Dr. Kim turned around, “Dinner? Now? What does Jessica think?”

Jessica was looking at me shocked, “I guess as Krystal said, do you want dinner with us? It is normally just the two of us.”

Taeyeon looked at her watch, “Can you wait 10 minutes?”

Jessica looked at me before smiling, “Of course.”

Dr. Kim flashed us a bright smile, “Great. I will just get changed and be back out.”

When Dr. Kim left, I felt a heated glare aimed at me, “Krystal Jung, what the hell?”

When I said Jessica was the kindest sister ever, I may have forgot to mention that she isn’t so kind when I do things without her permission and I think this counts as one of those occasions, “Jess...she is all alone here in our town. We should show her some hospitality since she let me get this job.”

Jessica rubbed between her brow, “You are helping with dinner then...deal?”

I nodded my head, “deal.”

“Why couldn’t you ask if she was free next week or something? I am not sure what we even have in the house to eat.”

“I am sure you will think of something.”

“You have high expectations of me Krystal.”

I just smiled at Jessica knowing I have won this round.

 

Due to the lack of ingredients in the house, Jessica and I decided on making spaghetti. Although it wasn’t a very sophisticated meal, I think Italian food is very romantic for the first meal I had planned for Jessica and Dr. Kim.

Since boiling water was not very interesting, I went to set the table while I watched Dr. Kim sitting on the couch rather awkwardly looking around the house. I took one more look at Jessica who was preparing the sauce, “So do you normally eat alone?”

I must have caught Dr. Kim off guard since she flinched as I approached, “Well I live alone so yea...”

“Maybe you could come and eat dinner with us more often. Jessica isn’t too bad a cook and it would be nice to have one more person at the table.”

“I think I would be imposing too much if I came too often.”

“Nonsense! Jessica has been such a loner...she and I both could use someone else around.”

“Your sister...doesn’t she have a boyfriend?”

I shook my head, “I don’t think she has a social life.”

I saw Dr. Kim taking a peek into the kitchen, “But she is so beautiful.”

I was grinning from ear to ear, “So are you? I wonder why two beautiful women happen to be single? Makes no sense!”

Dr. Kim laughed, “Well isn’t it about time for you to be dating too Krystal? I think there are 3 single women here that should be seeing someone by now.”

I smiled, “Maybe I am like my sister and no one has caught my eye yet and I have my whole life ahead of me! Jessica is almost 30...I am afraid she will die alone once I move out.”

I could see Dr. Kim still looking at my sister, “She will find someone.”

 

Dinner was very eventful. I didn’t know Dr. Kim was keen on cracking jokes (she is gaining more like points). “I can’t tell you how many times we found random objects...what I wonder is if the owners used those objects after we removed it from the animal’s..well you know what.”

I was laughing so hard that my eyes started to water from laughing too much, “that sounds gross!”

Jessica grimaced as she started to remove the empty plates, “I am glad that story came after dinner.”

“Oh I have more poop stories. When practicing in vet school, the newbies always got stuck on those kind of cases.” Taeyeon then looked down at her watch, “Oh it is getting late. I don’t want to keep you up all night. I will get going.”

I was deflated when I heard Dr. Kim would be leaving, “Can’t you stay?”

Jessica returned from the kitchen, “Now Krystal you will see her tomorrow. Let the doctor rest.” The both of us lead Dr. Kim to the door, “It was a pleasure having you for dinner Taeyeon. You can come back anytime if you skip out on those poop jokes...I think they made me lose my appetite.”

Dr. Kim smiled, “I have many more stories and I am sure Krystal will drag me back here soon enough.”

We both waved Dr. Kim off and shut the door, “Soooo what do you think of her?”

Jessica arched her eyebrow while she returned to the kitchen, “What do you mean?”

“Isn’t she nice and funny?”

Jessica nodded, “Yes. She seems like a good person.”

“I can ask her over for dinner again right?”

Jessica looked up at me, “She can come over again but why have you taken a special liking to her Krystal?”

“She is my friend and my boss! We could use another person in our life.”

Jessica eyed me up in silence before returning to wash the dishes.

 

My sister is stubborn. I can’t tell what she is thinking half the time or if she has some kind of interest in Dr. Kim at all. On the other hand, I could read Dr. Kim like a book. The woman was sending obvious hints that she wanted to get to know Jessica better or be friends with her on some sort of level.

“What does your sister do as a job?” That means she wants to know more about Jessica’s dreams and achievements.

“She is a consultant...some boring job that lets her make commission...pays a good amount of money.” I have to make sure Dr. Kim thinks she is rich and can support her in the future.

Dr. Kim laughed, “Well...I hope she is in a job she likes and not for the money.”

“She likes it!” I never thought of that, but I saved her...I think.

Dr. Kim finished injecting the medicine into the cat, “Alright. Last vaccination little kitty. Time for rest in the cage.” I was handed the cat to put into the empty cage, “It seems like your sister goes to work and comes straight here after to pick you up. Don’t you both go out for fun with friends?”

I locked the cage before returning my attention back on Dr. Kim, “Well Jessica and I watch TV or play games together...OH! This weekend do you want to do a board game battle? It is getting boring playing Monopoly with just 2 people.”

Taeyeon scratched her head, “You sisters are very strange...I would think you wanted to be with friends from your school and Jessica would go out with friends her age.”

“You could be Jessica’s friend her own age? My friends are always around if Jessica wants her own space.”

Dr. Kim looked at me as if I said something strange, “Me?”

“Why not?”

“We don’t know each other?”

“Well...going out and talking helps you get to know each other? It is worth a try...my sister should have friends her own age.” Well I am making my sister look pathetic but I am starting to get desperate to have these two hookup somehow.

Dr. Kim nodded, “Besides, I would kick your in Monopoly...”

 

It was a Friday night that I convinced both Dr. Kim and my sister to go out and have fun because I would be catching a late movie with my friend Victoria. The movie finished 2 hours ago and I was back home peeking over the couch at the door wondering if the two would return soon. I wanted all the details about how they were getting along or if they hate each other’s guts and I have to start at square one again. Yet as another hour flew by, I was thinking they were having a good time and I drifted off into a quick slumber.

A door slamming shut woke me up from my rest, “Oh...did I wake you Krystal?”

I fluttered my eyes open to look at my sister who had a glisten of sweat, “Did you...go to a bar? Dancing?”

Jessica was smiling widely, “We did.”

Finally finding the strength to sit up, Jessica joined me on the couch, “Had fun?”

“I did. She is really nice.”

“So you will see her again?”

Jessica cupped my cheek before giving me a kiss on the forehead, “Probably but is it late and I am going to bed.”

I looked at my sister who sauntered to her bedroom...she was acting strange but was it a good or bad strange?

 

I had to wait till Monday to see Dr. Kim and interrogate her about Friday night since my sister was incredibly good at keeping secrets, “Have a good weekend doctor?”

Dr. Kim jumped from her desk a bit when I let myself in, “God Krystal you scared me...”

I sat down in the chair opposite, “So how was your weekend?”

Without looking up from her paperwork, “Good. Have fun with your friend?”

“I think you had more fun coming in past 3 am?”

Dr. Kim’s pen stiffened before she returned to writing out a report, “Ah yea...we must have gotten carried away with the drinks and forgot the time.”

I eyed up the older woman but I could see she was just as stubborn as my sister with her answers...there would be only one way to find out how these two were progressing.

 

This time it was a Saturday night that I told my sister I would having a sleepover at Victoria’s house. I usually don’t lie to my sister but I had to make her think that I would be leaving the house all night while I watched for any unusual visitors to come or my sister to leave the house. Thus I was left out in the cold watching the door to our home when my sister thought I was with my friend.

After an hour I thought this was the stupidest idea ever and was ready to relieve my numbed legs but then a car pulled up...not any car but Dr. Kim’s! I quickly put a branch in front of my face as I watched the door to our house open and close.

Before I left the home, I left a side window open and blocked it with a plant we normally kept in the foyer but for my purposes, I needed it to be in front of the window so I can peek in on the activities my sister and Dr. Kim were up to since they both couldn’t face me about Friday night.

It seemed like a meeting with friends as the two talked in the kitchen for a bit before bringing popcorn and a few other snacks to the couch, “Which movies did you bring?”

“I have a variety, two are a bit scary but I have an action and comedy.”

My sister she would pick the comedy but my heart rate spiked when she responded, “I am in the mood for horror.”

Dr. Kim handed my sister the DVD as I was left with my mouth hanging in astonishment...Dr. Kim obviously drugged my sister Friday night and changed her whole personality. There was no other explanation for this drastic change in Jessica’s movie choice.

With the movie in, the two cuddled up under the single blanket on the couch (we have more than one in the house!). Well it must have been 3 minutes into the movie when the popcorn nearly ended up on the floor as Jessica mumped into Dr. Kim’s arms and hid her face in fear. Seriously could have seen that coming from a mile away...unless..........my sister is a sly fox.

I smiled in victory as I saw the two cuddled up together on the couch with my sister being held in comfort by Dr. Kim. It was clear that Jessica was making a move and it didn’t take long for that move to happen. When Dr. Kim leaned down and captured my sister’s lips, I bolted. No way in hell was I going to watch my sister get all intimate...worse than that scary movie or talks about poop.

Instead, I hitched myself over to Victoria’s house and gloated in my victory of getting my sister the best gift I could ever give.

 

 

“....So dear sister, I hope you enjoy the gift I have given you on your wedding day. I expect she will continue to love you every day of your life and give you everything your heart desires. Also to you Kim Taeyeon, I grant you to the gift of my sister. I hope you two can love each other until the day you return to me and I can care for you both in your old age.”

Jessica and Taeyeon were crying from the speech, “Krystal...I had no idea...” Jessica wiped her eyes, “you were an unexpected gift mom gave to me and I wouldn’t trade you in for the world.”

“Not replaced...I want Taeyeon added to our family...” I walked up to Jessica and gave her a huge hug before pulling Taeyeon in, “I love you both.”

I could feel I the hug that I didn’t just give Jessica an amazing wedding present but also one to myself. Seeing my sister smiling happily to the love of her life was the greatest joy I could ever ask for.

 

 

~END~

 


Author's Note

Been a while since I did a one-shot here although I had a few ideas that I didn't follow through with. Hope you enjoyed this one although this was a bit more Jungsis than Taengsic...I still put it in this thread.

Also my fellow Taengangers I hope you can show some support for Taeyeon these days. For those who haven't seen Taeyeon's V-app footage of her concert, she ended up crying through "I" and was reported to cry in every ballad. Taeyeon said it was because she was happy (and has cold) but when you watch the video...you can't help but wonder if something deeper is happening in her life at the moment. (Your author cried watching this live)