It Was 1959

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

A little girl was happily hoping around the home with a cookie in her hand. Her favorite Auntie was looking over her today while her parents were gone on a trip, but secretly Jimin loved it when her parents went away. Her Auntie had all the best stories and always was in the kitchen baking something delicious for her.

Jimin’s auntie was old but she wasn’t her grandmother. From what Jimin understood, Auntie was her grandpapa’s sister and after both her grandparents passed, Auntie moved closer and started to spend more time with the family. Jimin always felt bad that Auntie lived alone and wondered if she was lonely but Auntie always replied, “I can never be lonely when I lived a life full of memories.”

After finishing her cookie, Jimin ran out of the kitchen to find Auntie on the couch knitting, “Auntie! Tell me a story!”

The older woman smiled with her eyes before putting down the garment she was making, “I am going to run out of stories to tell with how much you love to hear them.”

The little girl hoped up on the couch and snuggled into the older women, “Never. Your stories are the best and you are old so you have many of them.”

The woman laughed, “I guess that is true. What kind of story do you want to hear today?”

Jimin hummed while she thought, “Auntie have you ever been in love?”

A little shocked, “Love? I thought you loved stories of travel and adventure.”

“I do.” The girl whined.

The older woman smiled knowing Jimin really wanted a love story, “It was 1959…”

 

The streets were packed with people and cars spewing smoke into the skies. Taeyeon had never been to New York before but she already loved the lively and busy atmosphere of the city compared to Seoul. Having been accepted to Barnard University for women to do art, Taeyeon was excited for this new challenge in a new home.

With her suitcase in hand, Taeyeon knew the next 4 years of her life started with what was in that case. Bouncing between people in the streets, Taeyeon made her way to the university. She was excited and nervous for this new opportunity. Heck, most of this still felt like a dream come true as she looked upon the iron gates entering her into this new and fascinating world.

“Hello! Welcome to Barnard University!” An unusually chipper girl greeted her, “Are you here for orientation?”

Taeyeon smiled brightly and in her best English, “yes. I am here for the school of arts.”

The girl gestured to a booth to the left, “your registration is at that table.”

Taeyeon picked up her suitcase and greeted the girl at the table, “Hi I am Kim Taeyeon. Under Kim.”

The girl shuffled through several cards and pulled out an envelope with her name, “Yes we have you here. Inside you will find your course list, dorm assignments and a key for your room. Once your things are settled in the dorms which are on the upper floors, an assembly is at 11am and after we have a lunch prepared. Welcome to Bernard!”

Taeyeon tore open her envelope excitedly to see her room number 309 before hurrying up the stairs to find her room. She must have been on the top floor as she went up the stairs with her heels clacking and echoing through the stone walls. Finally she reached the top and found her room which was already open slightly, “hello?”

Another girl in the room quickly got off her bed, “Oh! Is this your room?”

Taeyeon stepped inside and put down her suitcase, “Yes. I am Kim Taeyeon.”

The girl was American, “Suzie. You don’t look like you are around here.”

“Ah yes. I came from Korea but I have some family here.”

The girl smiled politely, “I have never met a foreigner before coming here. I came from the countryside. You must be exceptional for the school to accept you.”

Taeyeon blushed, “Maybe lucky. I am not sure, but I will try my very best while I study here.”

“Your bed is there. I would say you could come for me for help around the city, but I am afraid I will be just as lost as you.”

Taeyeon smiled politely as she put her things on the bed, “Maybe we can rely on each other or be lost together?”

The girl didn’t respond as she went back to reading a magazine. Taeyeon sighed and wondered if making friends would be hard. She is different than the rest of the girls here, but she knew she had to persevere and focus on her studies.

It wasn’t long until Taeyeon needed to attend the assembly and listen to other students tell about their wonderful experiences at the university and what to expect for the academic year. There were also many rules about proper etiquette and behavior such as no boys allowed in the dorms. At the end of the assembly, Taeyeon was glad she got a handbook of all the rules because there was no way she was going to remember them all.

When the assembly finished, the girls were broken out into groups by their major so Taeyeon could become acquainted with her classmates. She was curious to know what styles of art each person did but it seemed most of her classmates only painted. Taeyeon was the only one that made sculptures. Already Taeyeon was nervous she would be outcasted for her different mode of art.

The cafeteria was already packed when they entered for a meal. Taeyeon was not used to most of the food that so she picked out things that the other girls seemed to be excited about.

“Taeyeon you come from China?”

Taeyeon groaned at the thought that all Americans thought Asians were Chinese, “No Korea. East of China.”

“Oh. Well you all look the same to me. How rich is your family?”

Taeyeon never thought of the wealth of her family before, “I assume more well off that most.”

“My daddy owns one of the railways. You may have heard of Union Pacific.”

All the girls gasped but Taeyeon had no idea what they were talking about.

“My daddy owns some of the museums in Boston.”

“Yes well my daddy owns…” Taeyeon got bored of all the things their dad’s have accomplished. She knew many of the girls here would come from rich families but what does the achievements of their fathers have to do with their success? Taeyeon wondered if any of these girls got into this school due to skill and determination? Maybe money was the only thing these American schools cared about?

Bored of the students at her own table, Taeyeon started to look around the room of all the other girls in the school. American girls were very beautiful and everyone here dressed so nice. Looking down at her own wardrobe, she was wearing nothing as nice as them. Sighing, Taeyeon started to doubt herself for coming here. She knew it wouldn’t be easy but she also hoped it wouldn’t be so hard. Still scanning the room, Taeyeon spotted another girl. Taeyeon blinked a few times to make sure she wasn’t seeing things because this girl looked just like her. Just then the other girl locked eyes with her and smiled. Taeyeon didn’t know what to do but smile back. Unexpectedly, the girl got up and headed towards Taeyeon.

“Hello.”

Taeyeon fumbled out of her seat causing the other girl to laugh, “h-hi.”

The girl had a cute high pitched giggle, “I am Jessica.”

Taeyeon smiled and shook her hand, “Taeyeon.”

“I couldn’t help but notice that you are Korean? I thought I was the only one in the school.”

“I am new. I just arrived.”

The girl eyed Taeyeon up, “Did you just come from Korea?”

Taeyeon looked down at her own clothes, “Is it that obvious?”

Jessica’s eyes grew wide, “Oh no…not by your clothes. Your accent. It doesn’t sound like you grew up here. My family is from California and owns a line of successful food chains, but here I say my dad is a businessman. Girls in this school will try to find something to tear you down, don’t give up too much information.”

Taeyeon giggled, “Thank you.”

“Although about your wardrobe, there could be some improvements.” Jessica looked at her table who were all curious what the girls would be talking about, “Meet me by the front entrance in an hour. After this lunch thing you are free to get settled, but you should see the city instead. You will be in this box long enough.”

Taeyeon smiled as she waved the girl off. Maybe things were looking up.

 

An hour later, Taeyeon didn’t have to wait long near the entrance for Jessica to come, “First! The department store. Let’s beautify you.”

Taeyeon yelped as Jessica took her arm and dragged her out of the university.

“New York is like the fashion center of America so there are many good places to shop around here. Let’s get you Americanized.” Jessica smiled happily as she pulled Taeyeon into the nearest department store, “Dresses, suits, hats and shoes! Let’s get you the whole works.”

Taeyeon stopped for a second to be in awe of the store. There were multiple stories with innate gold trim on the walls. It was so beautiful. Nothing like this existed in her hometown, almost like she entered a palace.

Jessica stopped when she saw Taeyeon looking up, “It is beautiful right?”

“I didn’t know a place could be so big.”

Jessica grinned, “You haven’t seen anything yet.”

Taeyeon didn’t know why but for that second, she wasn’t sure if the department store was the only beautiful thing she saw that day.

“So? Dresses?”

Taeyeon grinned, “Dresses.”

Jessica took Taeyeon’s hand, “second floor.”

Taeyeon wasn’t sure shopping could be so fun, but she assumed Jessica was the one that made it so fun. Jessica had a great eye for colors and styles that would match well with her figure and skin tone. They bought Taeyeon several new outfits and Jessica showed Taeyeon how to mix and match her blouses to make new outfits with her suits. However, by the time they were done, Taeyeon was tired out.

“Should we go eat?”

Taeyeon spun around in her new yellow jacket and grey hat, “I feel like a whole new person.”

Jessica pretended to take a few pictures, “maybe I should be a designer instead of music.”

Taeyeon stopped spinning, “Music? You are in the music department?”

“What can I say? I am a female Mozart.”

“Really?”

Jessica shoved Taeyeon, “no. Business although I have a passion for music. My father only had girls so I am expected to marry and take over the family business.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I feel foolish to be taking art.”

Jessica lead Taeyeon into a diner, “Who knows, you may become super famous and make more money than me someday?”

Taeyeon giggled as they found a place to sit on the counter, “As if, it would be easier to marry you and live off your fortune from all those stores you will own.”

A small blushed formed on Jessica’s face as she quickly diverted, “2 chocolate shakes and burgers.”

“Fries with that?”

“Yes.”

Taeyeon cleared , “What if I wanted something else to eat? I gave you permission to pick out my clothes not my meal miss.”

Jessica stuck out her tongue, “Your first meal will be All-American. Trust me, you will like it. Better than whatever they served us for lunch.”

“Excuse me miss.” Taeyeon felt a tap on her shoulder to see a boy standing behind her, “Sorry to bother you but could I take your picture for my class? I go to Columbia, photography.”

Taeyeon turned to Jessica wondering if this was normal, but Jessica just shrugged like it was acceptable. “Only if I can get a copy.”

Jessica raised her brow, “Why would you want a copy?”

“To mark my first official day in America.”

Taeyeon reached into her bag and pulled out a polaroid, “My umm parents gave this to me to send photos back. Do you mind?”

The boy happily took the camera from Taeyeon, “Of course. Smile here.”

Taeyeon being goofy did a strange pose while Jessica missed the cue and the photo was taken. The boy was not amused to have such a pose for his photo as he asked Taeyeon to sit next to Taeyeon and not look at the camera. Happy with a few shots from his non-printable version of a camera, he left and graciously paid for the girl’s meal.

Taeyeon happily looked over at the photo they took, “I look like a real American girl.”

Jessica slowly sipped on her shake while looking at the photo, “I look chic.”

Taeyeon smiled as packed away her keepsake, “maybe you can smile in the next one?”

Jessica laughed, “Who gave you permission to capture my beauty twice?”

Just then Taeyeon quickly took a photo of Jessica laughing, “Me.”

 

“Auntie…this isn’t a love story.” Jimin complained.

The older woman laughed, “all love stories have a beginning. Would you like to see the photo? I was quite a catch back in my 20s.”

Jimin sat up excited, “Yes!”

“The box next to my bed has it. Could you get it for Auntie?”

Jimin didn’t need to be told twice and ran up the stairs in a flash, returning with the box.

The older woman shuffled through the box smiling at all the small trinkets in there, “Ah here it is.”

Jimin took the photo, “It has faded…Auntie which one are you?”

The older woman pointed, “Can’t you tell I am the one with the hat? Have I changed that much?”

Jimin smiled at the photo, “Wow you were so pretty. This lady with you is so pretty too.”

“Yes. She was very beautiful.”

Jimin looked over at the box next to her auntie, “Is this lady in those photos too?”

The older woman smiled as she closed the box, “She has many photos. Would you like me to get back to the story?”

Jimin settled back in at her auntie’s side, “Yes. Get to the part where you love each other.”

The older woman laughed hysterically, “Okay okay. I will get to that part.”

 

It had been a whole year since Taeyeon first joined the university and she was about to experience her first summer vacation. She had thoughts of returning to Korea for the summer but Jessica was talking about going to California for months now and begged Taeyeon to spend the summer there. Taeyeon couldn’t say no. For quite a while now, Taeyeon couldn’t say no to anything Jessica wanted to do. Somehow during this past year, they grew closer and Taeyeon wanted to do anything and everything Jessica wanted to do, so much that it hurt. So she boarded that plane with Jessica and they went to California.

Now Taeyeon knew Jessica’s family had a fortune, but Taeyeon didn’t know how rich Jessica was until a private driver came to pick them up from the airport and dropped them off at a ‘modest’ mansion on the beachfront which Jessica said was their summer home.

Taeyeon stepped inside the ‘modest’ home in amazement, “this is a house?”

Jessica smiled happily, “mommy and daddy won’t be here for another week. Should we get ready for the beach?”

“I am a bit hungry.”

Jessica smiled, “okay I will have something prepared. Get your in a swimming suit so we can sunbathe while we eat.”

Taeyeon yelped when Jessica smacked her , “What room?”

“First bedroom on the right.”

Taeyeon hurried upstairs to get changed where she found her suitcase already there, “When did this get here?”

For a moment, Taeyeon didn’t take her clothes off, instead, she took some time to walk around the room. She couldn’t believe a house of this size existed, let alone Jessica would have another home somewhere else. Taeyeon wondered what other secrets Jessica might be hiding because she never came off as a snobby rich girl. Jessica was different than the rest of the girls at their school, but Taeyeon couldn’t point out why.

“Taeyeon you ready?! I need to get some sun!”

Knowing Jessica was impatient, Taeyeon dug around her suitcase to change into a suit and put on a cover-up. She went to the mirror to look herself up and down a few times wondering if she was showing too much skin. One thing Taeyeon wasn’t used to yet about America is the way their culture flaunted their curves and beauty. It also wasn’t fair that her best friend was so beautiful that she often found herself blushing at Jessica’s presence.

Taeyeon grabbed her bag and ran down the stairs, “I am ready.”

Jessica smiled as she put some sunglasses on Taeyeon’s head, “now you are ready.”

Taeyeon looked away shyly, “You are always taking care of me.”

Jessica gave Taeyeon a gentle smile, “I like taking care of you.”

Taeyeon didn’t know what that meant but she was happy Jessica was in her life.

Walking out through the back doors of the home, the girls were immediately greeted by the warm soft sand of a private beach and the crisp blue waters of the ocean. Jessica ran out of the doors first turning around happily with a huge smile, and at that moment, Taeyeon knew she just entered heaven.

“Come on! The weather is amazing!”

Looking down, Taeyeon dug her toes into the sand, “wow.”

Jessica immediately went over to the chairs and plopped a grape into , “I miss being home. You know how much I love the city, there is something about the ocean that is amazing.”

Taeyeon hurried next to Jessica, “Also the winters. We should come here every winter. I am not sure if I can stand another New York blizzard.”

Jessica giggled as she sipped on some icy drink, “Oh God yes! Christmas! You are coming home with me for Christmas.”

Taeyeon ducked down to her seat and sipped on the sweet drink, “O-oh okay.”

Jessica readjusted to turn and face Taeyeon on her side, “You are going to love Christmas with my family! We get this huge tree and there are so many presents! Oh my mom makes the best food.”

Taeyeon giggled silently at Jessica’s excitement, “Don’t get me too excited when it is months away.”

Sighing in contempt, Jessica laid down on her back, “I can’t wait to have you there.”

“I am not going anywhere.”

Getting out of her seat, Jessica held her hand out to Taeyeon, “You are right. Let’s enjoy now and I want to go swimming.”

Stumbling out of her seat, Taeyeon took Jessica’s hand in her own, “I am not a good swimmer.”

“I won’t let you go.”

Jessica and Taeyeon ran hand in hand into the water, “So cold!”

Giggling, Jessica held Taeyeon closer, “you are such a baby.”

“Am not.”

Giving Taeyeon a cute pout, Jessica continued to pull her in closer and closer until their faces were a few inches apart, “warm yet?”

Taeyeon could feel her ears warm with the proximity, “y-yea.”

For a moment, Jessica just stared into Taeyeon’s eyes, “you know from the first time I saw you, I didn’t approach you because you were Korean like me…it was because you were so beautiful and you didn’t even know it yet.”

Blushing, Taeyeon broke eye contact with Jessica, “I thought you were like an angel…coming to save me.”

Reaching up Jessica brushed back Taeyeon’s hair, dampening it with the cool ocean water, “you did look like a scared little puppy surrounded by preppy girls.”

“So you were just taking advantage of me during my vulnerable time?”

“No. I saw you looking at me and I thought, I am glad she saw me first because I wanted to talk to you so bad.”

Taeyeon cleared for a second, “Same.”

“I wish you were a little more brave. It is scary to always make the first move. I bet if I didn’t say hello, you would have never come to talk to me. Even if you did, you would have never asked me to go shopping, go out to eat, or go on this vacation with me…”

“Can you blame me? You are like…larger than life. Sometimes just being with you, makes me so scared that you will realize that you could be with other girls who are richer and…”

Jessica shut Taeyeon up with a kiss, “you also would be too afraid to kiss me.” In that moment, Taeyeon’s brain went dead unable to comprehend what Jessica what did so Jessica reminded her and pulled her in closer to kiss her a bit firmer, “you don’t even know how special you are to me. Why I don’t want those other girls and just wanted you.”

Taeyeon could feel her grip waver on Jessica, ready to sink into the water to escape her thoughts or to test if this was a dream, but Jessica held onto her tighter. Jessica was always there keeping her afloat. it was Jessica every time to make her realize that she was already living the American dream.

“A-are you…do you see me as someone special to you?”

Taeyeon finally snapped out of her thoughts to see Jessica’s confidence shattered by her continued silence, “I thought it was obvious…how much I need you. I am not even sure if this life is worth living without you here with me. I love you.”

Jessica gulped down the thought of a word they never exchanged before. She too was afraid to say the words that encapsulated the feelings she had for Taeyeon this whole time, “I love you too.”

With the sun sparkling over the clear blue water, it was the perfect day to find new love exchanged through confessions and kisses.

There was something truly special about summer love.

 

Jimin sat there with hearts in her eyes, “Wow…that is so...sweet. I want to find a love like that someday!”

Smiling gently to herself, the older woman smoothed her thumb over the one girl in the photo, “Anything is possible. A love like this only came around once in my lifetime and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“Auntie what happened to her? Did you get to spend Christmas together too?”

The woman laughed, “We spent many Christmases together. As many as we could, but she turned into a real angel. I believe she is waiting for me near the ocean.”

Jimin snuggled into her auntie, “I am sure she is waiting for you too.”

~END~