Molding Clay

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

Krystal looked at the map several times turning it around and around, “Krys…just admit it we are lost.”

“We are not. The place should be around here somewhere…the streets are just confusing.”

Jessica sighed behind her sister, blindly following her around the city, “Can’t we ask for help?”

Krystal frowned knowing she couldn’t find this underground shopping utopia that this city was supposed to have, “Okay fine.”

Jessica smiled triumphantly knowing she can stop walking in circles. Entering the first shop they see, the girls immediately stopped in amazement seeing the shop filled with ornate and colorful pottery. The two girls forgot for a second why they entered the store once they saw the wonderous pieces of art.

“Can I help you?”

Jessica and Krystal quickly turned around to see a petite woman come out from the back of the store, “Umm yes.” Krystal stepped forward with the map, “We are a little lost. I was looking for this place here.”

The girl gave them a cute dimple smile, “It is best if you make your way to this river a few blocks that way and then follow that to this area. You can’t miss it there are signs everywhere. It is quite a popular attraction.”

Jessica didn’t know why she was left speechless watching the woman talk to her sister. She noticed the woman had some dried clay on her hands and a little splat of clay on her cheek that she wanted to wipe off. Jessica couldn’t lie, this woman was incredibly attractive and no doubt the creator of these amazing works of art.

“Come on sis let’s go.”

Krystal broke Jessica from her trance, “Ah yes.”

“Thank you!” Krystal yelled back at the owner while Jessica gave the woman a shy smile before they left.

Before trotting off into the unknown city, Jessica quickly looked back at the store, “Kim Kreations.” Jessica didn’t know why the name amused her but she knew that she wouldn’t forget the name of this store.

------------

Early morning a few days later, Jessica caught Krystal sleeping in from a long day at the beach. Deciding she wanted to go back to the pottery store to kill some time before Krystal woke up for lunch, Jessica hailed a cab to Kim Kreations.

The cab couldn’t make it’s way to the small alley where the store was located, so Jessica trekked through the cobblestone streets back to the shop, however, to her disappointment the shop was closed. Jessica read the sign to find out she was an hour early, “Shoot.” Disappointed, Jessica didn’t know what she should do because she wanted to go in and look but if she waited an hour, she might not have enough time before Krystal woke up.

“Excuse me, were you here a few days ago?”

Jessica nearly jumped when the person approached from behind but relaxed when she recognized it was the store owner, “Ah yes. I umm wanted to take a look…”

The owner flashed her that cute dimpled smile again, “I can give you a private viewing if you’d like. I don’t normally open until I get some coffee in me.”

Jessica was ecstatic, “I mean if you don’t mind?”

The woman took out her keys and unlocked the door, “Come on in.”

Jessica followed behind the woman and entered the little shop before the woman a few lights. Feel free to look around, I am going to start the coffee in the back, “Would you like some?”

“Uh sure.”

“Okay be right back. If you have any questions, just holler, my name is Taeyeon.”

“J-Jessica…I mean my name is Jessica.”

Taeyeon smiled, “Nice to meet you. Be right back with that coffee.”

Jessica stood there nervously until she saw Taeyeon disappear in the back. Softly she reprimanded herself for being so awkward, “How humiliating.” Letting out a loud sigh, Jessica threw her head back before going around the store looking at the pottery. She loved how Taeyeon used the different metallic splashes of colors that seemed to compliment the unique shapes of the art. She even liked the simple mugs that were made for those that could not afford some of Taeyeon’s more prized pieces that went for thousands of dollars.

“Did you want sugar or…” Just then a piece of pottery crashed on the floor.

“Omg! I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to. I can pay for it.”

Taeyeon laughed at Jessica panicking over a broken mug, similar to the one she was about to hand to Jessica filled with coffee, “Don’t worry about it. I have more of those in the back. I can make another mug in like a minute, to tell you the truth, those are bit overpriced.”

Jessica frowned as she picked up the broken pieces, “I really didn’t mean to.”

Taeyeon pulled up the trash and motioned Jessica to throw away the pieces, “It is really not a problem.”

Jessica took the warm cup of coffee from Taeyeon, “Making stuff like this looks so hard…”

Taeyeon giggled as she sipped her coffee, “Humm a few of these larger works in the window took years for me to make so I assume there is some difficulty in my trade but it is mostly me unable to decide how I want to express the clay or the colors. Mugs is like pottery 101. I could teach you how to make a mug in an hour.”

“I doubt it. As you can tell, I am a klutz.”

Taeyeon smiled, “Come with me.”

Curious, Jessica followed behind Taeyeon to the back of the shop. Jessica was amazed when she got to the back of the store showing a mix of nearly completed works and several pottery wheels with different projects started on them. Some works were , ready to be glazed while others remained in their native unmolded lumps of clay.

“Sit here.” Taeyeon cleared off a small stool and put her coffee to the side before taking a small amount of clay and slamming it on the empty wheel, “Forming clay is really simple. It just requires you to manipulate the clay with your fingers as so.”

Jessica watched in amazement as Taeyeon built up the clay and worked it down to a simple coffee mug in minutes, “Wow.”

Taeyeon smiled at the piece of work, “I would put this in the kiln and then attach the handle before painting it or using glaze. You see, that 1 mug you broke is already fixed. Do you want to try?”

Jessica looked astonished as if someone as skilled as Taeyeon would like her to make a perfect mug, “No no…I couldn’t possibly do something like that.”

Taeyeon laughed, “It is easy. Hold on.” Jessica watched as Taeyeon wiped her hands off on a towel before putting on her apron and grabbing an extra one off the rack, “Put this on. It would be a shame to get your outfit messy.”

Jessica pulled the apron on over her head but froze as Taeyeon reached behind and tied the apron on behind her.

“Sit down here.” Taeyeon pulled up the extra chair, “So the wheel moves when your foot touches the foot peddle here. The harder you press the faster it will go.”

Jessica tested the wheel but jumped when the wheel started to spin causing Taeyeon to giggle.

“Not so fast. Just a moderate speed like this.” Taeyeon reached for the clay, “So we always start with forming the clay like this and then you will use your fingers and thumb to make the inside hollow like this.”

Jessica watched in fascination as Taeyeon’s hands carved the clay. She didn’t know someone’s hands could be so y.

“Okay you try. Don’t be afraid. Even if you mess up, we can try again. That is what is so fun about pottery. Only when it goes into the kiln, can you reshape and reform until you get what you like. It is like you can never make a mistake.”

Jessica was still hesitant to touch the clay but she reached forward and started the wheel, feeling the cool material in her hands. She attempted to do what Taeyeon told her but nothing even close to what Taeyeon said happened.

Taeyeon giggled again at the unique shape Jessica created, “Oh umm that is not quite right.” Standing up, Taeyeon stood behind Jessica and reached around to take her hands, “Here, like this.”

Jessica didn’t know if she was breathing as Taeyeon held her from behind trying to manipulate her hands as she touched the soft clay. She was so nervous in this compromising position that she couldn’t focus on anything Taeyeon was trying to show her. Instead she was keen to the softness of the potter’s hands, the soft s pressed against her back and the warm breathing in her ears.

Taeyeon tightened her hold, “Move your fingers like that. There you go.”

Jessica exhaled as she tried to focus on the clay in her hands but she eventually slipped and messed up the work again. She could hear that cute giggle in her ears again.

“This might take longer than an hour to teach.”

Jessica turned ready to apologize again but the words were caught in as her eyes met Taeyeon’s.

Taeyeon smiled inches away from her lips, “Would you like me to show you more?”

Jessica wasn’t sure if she caught the mischievous glint in Taeyeon’s eyes but she knew that when she leaned in to kiss those soft lips, that Taeyeon wasn’t planning to open the store that day, and that Jessica wasn’t the only person who was captivated by an attractive woman a few days ago.

Just as hands can mold clay, that day, it was lips forming a new love.

 

~END~