I Hate Running

A Daydreamer's Tales (Taengsic one-shot collection)

 

“Unnie you will die if you eat unhealthy food like that.”

“Seohyun...I think Sooyoung would die if she didn’t eat food like that. She eats all the time and looks like she is starving herself.”

“That is right Seo, leave Soo alone. She needs that kind of food.”

The four girls continued to have their lunch near the Han River. The girl named Seohyun was busy eating her grilled chicken sandwich while Sooyoung was on her second double burger trying to ignore the health statistics related to congestive heart failure and high fatty foods. The two sisters at the table decided it was best not to get involved anymore while they were busy eating their ice cream. Of course, Seohyun said that was unhealthy too but the girls said the fruit was enough to make it a healthy treat.

“You think Sooyoung will die from food first or Seohyun from Sooyoung strangling her for taking the food away?”

The blond slapped her sister, “Yah! Don’t make bets like that.”

“I am just saying. This friendship they have looks like it will turn violent.”

“Unnies I have to get going.” The three girls looked up to Seohyun who was taking her things, “I have training today.”

“You work yourself too hard Seohyun.”

“I have to unnie if I want to join the marathon this year.”

The blond sister groaned, “Who would want to do all that running?”

“Sica you should be doing all that running. You are the only one that doesn’t exercise.”

“It is simple. I hate running. Also I have a naturally hot body so no need.”

Everyone at the table rolled their eyes at the blond, “Jessica you should go training with Seohyun. She would help you out...”

“Yea unnie if you need...”

“No need,” Jessica interrupted, “I will never like running and that is final.”

Seohyun wasn’t going to argue with the lazy blond because she knew that she rejected all forms of exercise since she first met the girl, “All right. I am off.”

The girls bid Seohyun good bye, “So what do you girls want to do next?”

“How about we go walk off this food. My belly feels like it is going to give birth.”

Jessica went to playfully pat Sooyoung’s belly, “Fatty!”

Swatting the girl’s hand away, “Yah! I am not fat. You two are the fat ones after eating all that ice cream.” Sooyoung was about to attack Jessica but the girl quickly avoided her assaults but was unlucky to avoid the runner that crashed into her.

The other sister and Sooyoung gasped at the collision and went to help both the runner and Jessica up.

“Are you okay unnie?”

Jessica rubbed her bottom, “It is okay Krystal. I am fine.”

With the help of Sooyoung, the runner was also up and now bowing profusely at Jessica, “Omo I am so sorry!”

Jessica just waved her hand as her other hand rested on her lower back, “No no it is fine. I was to blame too.”

The runner saw Jessica holding her back as if it was in pain, “I can take you to the hospital if it hurts! No no I better take you now!”

“It is okay really...” Jessica squealed as the runner took her hand and started to guide her away, “Where are you taking me?”

“Hospital. You need care.”

“I said I am fine.”

The runner stopped guiding the blond so she could reach and press on Jessica’s lower back who jumped in pain, “See you need a doctor. Now come with me.” With the shock of pain coursing through her body, Jessica didn’t do anything but follow the runner into a cab so they could go to a hospital.

“Did my sister just get kidnapped?”

Sooyoung went over to Krystal to sling her arm over, “Well we have 24 hours until we can call the police so what should we do now?”

--------------------------

The runner was waiting patiently outside the doctor’s office door twiddling her thumbs in worry for the girl she hurt. When the door opened, the runner shot up, “How is she?”

The doctor was laughing, “Just a little bump and some shock. It will wear off in a day or two. No worries.”

Enthusiastically, the runner started bowing, “Thank you doctor!”

Jessica just stood by, “I told you I was fine.”

“You never know.” After paying the hospital fee, the two headed out.

“So you like running,” Jessica said trying to clear up the awkward silence the two had in the elevator on the way down.

“I used to hate it but I decided to train for this marathon. I am getting used to it. What about you? You like running? Because I am at the park running every day if you wanted to join?”

Jessica looked at the girl who was still glistening in sweat and that tight shirt made her s more plump, “I ah...like running too...I just don’t get to much.” What was she thinking? The girl would find out that it was a lie soon enough if she ever saw Jessica run.

“Cool! I am Taeyeon by the way.”

“Jessica.”

The elevator reached the bottom, “Well it was good to meet you. I hope to see you at the Han River again soon!”

Jessica smiled and waved the girl good bye before slapping herself on the forehead, “What are you thinking Jessica Jung? Running? You are such a liar.”

---------------------------------

“Krystal I think your sister has gone mental.”

“Should I do something about it?”

“No no...I think your sister will get what she deserves.”

Krystal and Sooyoung continued to watch from the park bench as her sister attempted to stretch a bit before “running.” At first, Krystal and Sooyoung thought Jessica was playing an April Fools Day joke on them when she said she planned on running. Even thought she put extra effort into the prank by dressing as if she would run, but now the two are starting to think the girl was serious about it.

“$50 she only lasts 5 minutes.”

“You’re on but only 1 minute!”

Jessica glanced over at her friend and sister, “I heard that! I can run. I just choose not to.”

Sooyoung leaned back, “We will see about that Sica.”

Jessica decided it was to ignore her negative supporters and eye out her target. Seeing the girl coming near and going to pass the corner she was on soon, Jessica started to do a slow jog. Even after a few seconds, she could feel the burn in and lungs but she continued on until the girl just passed her. The girl didn’t even notice her presence...so Jessica stopped and huffed for air before going back to her friend and sister.

Krystal was smiling happily as she just won $50, “Unnie I think I will treat you to lunch after this.”

Jessica just rolled her eyes and continued to look for another opportunity, but this time, Jessica decided to run towards the girl. Finally seeing her chance, Jessica ran towards the girl but she acted like she was distracted by something else, “J-Jessica?”

Playing it cool, Jessica slowed her jog to a walk and flipped her hair while looking at the girl, “Oh Taeyeon you are running too?”

Taeyeon went up to Jessica, “Ah yea. How long have you been here?”

Jessica looked at her new sports watch she bought just for this occasion, “Maybe half an hour, I am finishing up.”

Taeyeon beamed a smile, “I was going to do another lap and then a cool-down. Did you want to join me?”

Jessica panicked a bit and thought of an excuse, “I am finished, I will walk it off for now, but umm did you want to get some food when you are done?”

The shiny white teeth showed as Taeyeon agreed to find her when she finished. Of course Jessica had to keep up her charade, so she walked around the river path until Taeyeon came up to her with her belongings, “I am finished. Did you bring anything else?”

“My coat. Umm wait here and I will get it.” Jessica rushed over to Krystal and Sooyoung, “I need my coat.”

“So you have the hots for that runner?”

“None of your business.”

“I think it our business as your best friend and for your sister. We can always help you know.”

“I can handle it on my own.”

Sooyoung got up, “Oh well Krystal, we tried to help your sister.”

“Yea unnie, don’t blame us if you do something you regret later.”

Jessica just rolled her eyes and went back to Taeyeon, “So you want to get a bite to eat?”

Taeyeon rubbed her stomach, “I am famished!”

-------------------------------

Jessica returned home with a huge sigh as she plopped down on the couch next to her sister, “I am so screwed.”

Krystal turned her attention away from the TV to face her sister, “I thought you just got food with the hot runner.”

“Stop calling her that. Her name is Taeyeon and she distracted me with her hot body and y voice...to join the marathon.”

Krystal’s eyes bulged before she went into a fit of laughter, “I knew you would do something stupid!”

“Krystal I really don’t know how to get out of this one. I mean one minute we were conversing and the next thing I know, she signed me up for the marathon using her phone. I can see my early death!”

“Can’t you just say you are sick the day of the marathon?”

Jessica bit her bottom lip, “I am part of her team. I can’t not show up.”

“You know you can always take the honest way out and that is train with Seohyun...”

“Screw that.”

Krystal went back to watching her drama, “It is up to you unnie.”

Jessica laid back into the couch yelling, “I hate running.”

---------------------------

A week later, Jessica found herself at the city marathon waiting for Taeyeon, “Jessica!”

Jessica turned to face Taeyeon, “Oh hey.”

As usual, Taeyeon was smiling like a dork, “Aren’t you excited! I can’t wait to see how my training worked!”

“Uh yea. Super excited.”

Taeyeon tilted her head and frowned a bit, “You don’t look that happy.”

Jessica closed her eyes for a second before looking back at Taeyeon, “Taeyeon I have a confession.”

“Oh?”

“Actually, I can’t do this marathon. Or rather, I can’t even run half a mile. I lied about running.”

Taeyeon started laughing, “I already knew that.”

“What?! How?”

“You know the day you met me at the park running and we ran into each other by accident? I ran by your friends when you actively proclaimed you hated running. Not to mention our second meeting, I saw you hiding with your friends. It was obvious you just wanted to get my attention.”

Flushed with embarrassment, “Yet you still met me?”

“I thought it was cute and was wondering how much you liked me when I got you to sign up for the marathon. I am guessing you like me a lot?” Taeyeon said shifting up an eye brow.

“I do...” Jessica said shyly.

Taeyeon started stretching, “Well I hope to see my girlfriend at the end of the finish line when I am done so she can take me out to dinner.”

“Oh...I am sorry...I didn’t you know you were seeing someone.” Jessica froze when she felt soft lips on her own and a hand on her waist.

“Silly. I want that girlfriend to be you.” Taeyeon pecked Jessica’s lips one more time, “Thanks for the good luck kiss.”

Jessica touched her lips as she saw Taeyeon run away to get ready for the marathon. Who know a girl that liked running would fall for her...I guess opposites do attract.

 

 

~END~

 

 

 


Author's Note

A bit early, but dedicating to Jessica for her birthday! Always wishing my Sica-chu a happy life!

 

Wise words from this woman: