28 Awkward Shopping

"Mr" Right

For weeks after, i refused to meet Kai but i did replied to his messages, because meeting him was confusing to my heart, and his. 

To me, both of us needed time to cool off, although truthfully i dont know how long i need. 

- - - 

Phone call

Caller: Good morning Ms Lim, you have been shortlisted for an interview at Company X this coming Friday at 2pm, can you make it?

Me: Y..Yes yes! Of course i can make it. I will be there on time.. no earlier! Thank you!

Phone call ends

"Mum! MUM! I FOUND A JOB!" I squealed and ran downstairs to the kitchen, skipping steps down the stairs and landing with a loud thud that scared my mum. 

"Aigoo! Annie you have got to stop all the shouting and loud landings! Be more of a lady will you!" My mum nagged and playfully hit my bum. 

I acted as though her hit was painful and then hugged her from the back as she made breakfast. 

"I found a job! At my dream company! It's Company X! Omg! How exciting! I'm having an interview this friday!" I squealed in delight again, which earned another playful hit on my head by my mum. 

I helped to set the table and we sat down for breakfast together. 

"Shall we go shopping together for your interview clothes? We can get some more clothes when you start work! All you have is exercise clothes and sports bra. And that is not going to work." Mum said between mouthfuls of rice.

"Really? Of course we should! You are paying cause i haven't started work yet." I playfully stuck out my tongue at my mum. 

"I know. Haha. Now eat up and get freshen up." 

Mum and I headed to the Mall A, where we always do, and started shopping for my interview outfit. We were constantly stuck between shirt and pants, shirt and skirt or dress. After a few hours, my legs felt like they were going to break, so we headed to a cafe to order some drinks and rest our legs. Just then, as though fate wants us to meet again, Kai walked through the doors of the cafe. 

"Isn't that your boyfriend? We should ask him for help for your shopping! Guys can be helpful in this area." Mum said and winked at me. 

Before i can say anything to stop her, she was already waving at Kai to come over to sit with us. Mum doesn't know what happened between the two of us, yet. 

"She doesn't know yet, let's just play along." I whispered to Kai as he sat beside me, but with a distance away, and smiled at Mum, who looked a little confused. 

"Hello mum. What are you doing here?" Kai asked my mum without looking at me.

"Ah, Annie has an interview this friday at Company X, her dream company! So we are here shopping for her interview clothes and some clothes for work. Annie needed some help in choosing the clothes, if you dont mind, would you like to help us out a little? We spent hours but we can't decide on anything!" Mum explained. 

"Mum!" I whispered loudly at her. 

Mum mouthed shh at me and smiled at Kai. 

Kai, probably feeling too bad to reject an elderly for help, agreed to help out. Besides, this may be his chance of getting closer to Annie again! Killing 2 birds with 1 stone!

"Hey! I said play along, not come along." I whispered at Kai and pinched his thighs. 

Trying to hide his pain with a smile at me, Kai said with clenched teeth, "This is part of playing along. You will enjoy it." And he drapped his arm around my neck, giving me a shock as i let out a soft yelp. 

And so, the three of us went shopping again after we finished our drinks. We went from shop to shop, and i have to admit, Kai was a really good clothes chooser. Within an hour, we found 4 sets of working outfits for me, and not forgetting, matching heels. Kai remembers that i didnt like heels, so he chose low heels that were as classy as high heels. That got me thinking he was a really professional player and he must have shopped for female clothes many times. 

Just as i thought the situation cannot get anymore awkward, mum dragged us into the lingerie shop. 

"Mum! Mum! Kai's here!" I whispered to my mum and nudged her. 

"Oh why worry, i'm sure he doesn't mind, do you Kai? If you 2 get married, he is going to see everything." Mum said nonchalently. 

Shocked, i didnt have time to react as mum dragged Kai and I into the shop. The shop assistants were drooling over how handsome Kai was as they swarm over him immediately when we entered. Not sure if Kai was a pro actor or what, but he way he "acted" shy was so natural. I mentally rolled my eyes at Kai and turned my attention towards my mum who have already choosen quite a few matching lingerie for me in my size. But it was obvious our taste for lingerie was opposite. My mum liked lace-y kinds, but i prefer simple with no lace. 

Just as we were arguing, a pair of hands grabbed on the lace-y lingeries i held on my left hand.

I turned to look at who was it and was surprised to see Kai smirking at me. He turned to look at my mum and said, "I like these too." 

"See! These are nicer! I'm getting you these." Mum said. 

"But.." I retaliated.

"No buts! Who is paying?" Mum said. And i kept quiet. 

"Good girl. Wait for me outside, i will meet you when i'm done paying." Mum said to Kai and I. 

On the way out, Kai held my hands, and i tried to shake it off. The shop assistants were all going aww at us and giggling at us. Kai smiled at them and kissed my forehead. 

"Hey!" I said.

"I know you like it. And i like to see you in those lingerie." Kai whispered. 

I pinched him in his arms and he yelped, letting me go. I smirked at him and walked out of the shop in victory.