14 Friend or foe

"Mr" Right

I stood rooted to the ground the moment i heard what i thought i heard. 1 second passed, 2 seconds passed. The wall clock was ticking louder than usual. I mentally shook myself awake and reminded myself the purpose of this setup. 

Just as i was about to reach for the doorknob again, the door swung open and facing me was a furious looking May. I saw her so angry, once, and that was when she found out her previous boyfriend was cheating on her with her friend back in Singapore. It took me the whole week to persuade her that it's pointless to remain so fedup over people who are living their lives happily, and being angry only makes us look like fools.

As the chinese saying goes, "A day passes when you smile, and a day also passes when you cry. So why not smile?" 

 

It became our motivational quote when we came Korea together, and it gelled our friendship even stronger. That is, until now.. 

I searched for May (my best friend May), but her eyes.. Her pupil contained no one but that furious May. I gulped silently as i saw her fist clenching. Not good not good. I better explain myself before she thinks that i am like that friend that betrayed her.. 

Just as i was about to open my mouth to explain the situation, i was greeted with a stinging sensation across my right cheeks. Damn it hurts. My hands automatically lifted to cover the hurt area, but the moment my fingers touched the delicated skin, the stings shot electricity-like shocks through my body and i flinched. She misunderstood the situation..

 

Luhan, who obviously witnessed the whole situation, was too shocked to even move. He knew the strong friendship, no sisterhood, between the 2 girls and what he witness was the crash of years of sisterhood built. 

 

"Is this the real you? Really? Annie? To think that i actually TRUSTED you.. What the heck was i even thinking man.." May whispered softly but her tone got harsher.

"May, i can explain, it's not.." 

Slap. Another stingy greeting for me across my left cheeks. It didnt take me long for tears to roll down my eyes, for i treasured our friendship so so so much, and seeing us like this now just breaks my heart. 

 

"I dont want to hear your stupid excuse man! Crap out some bull  like SHE did to me last time! Say its not your fault, say it just happened! Lie to me!" May shouted so loudly i couldnt help but take a step back. 

 

Her next action caught me offguard as the next thing i know, i found my back hitting the wall and i just collapsed on the ground. She pushed me against the wall so hard, that my spine hurts too much. I felt like a lifeless doll flunked on the floor. 

 

May scoffed, "Yeah yeah, act all painful and pitiful alright. I thought you were strong Annie? Now you want to act all gentle, weak, powerless like a girl? Why when you have been like a GUY all the while? You knew i liked Luhan and this.. This is ridiculous man. You know, you look so ugly! I dont know why Kai would even date you. Small eye freak, not to mention your ugly facial features and.." 

 

I was holding my back with my right  hand with my face full of pain. I have injured my back in the past, when i was younger..

 

*flashback* 

"Annie becareful! I will be here reading a book!" 

"Yes mum!" 

We were in the park on a sunday morning. My mum and i frequent the park every weekend, and her has her share of reading while i had mine of playing. I immediately ran for the swing and hopped on. The swing was my favourite in the playground because each time i swing up, i felt like i was flying without wings. And on one faithful day, that thought got the better of me.. 

Just as i was swinging upwards, i suddenly had the thought of releasing my grip on the swing and really FLY for once. And almost immediately, i regretted. At the peak, i released and the next thing i knew, i landed on the ground slightly tilted to the right. Initally, i thought nothing was wrong and i tried to get up. But the moment i tried to move, i couldnt and i felt like millions of sharp needles were poking me at the same time. Luckily, a passerby saw the whole incident and rushed over to assist me. I was crying my eyes out as my  mum rushed me to the hospital. It was not anything major, and after months of therapy, i was up on my feet again, and i understood from my doctor i would experience pain from my backbone from time to time, and when i do i should stop all activities to rest, and that i should not exert too much pressure directly on it. 

*flashback end* 

 

May didnt know about this. Although we were best friends, i didnt want her to worry for me and my welfare, especially when she makes huge fuss over my bruises and cuts from volleyball. 

 

Although my eye were shut due to the pain, my ears were open to her words, and i was curious as to why she suddenly stopped raging at me. I managed to forcefully pry open my eyes to see what made her stop, and i gasped a little when i saw Luhan holding her wrists so hard his knuckles were turning white, and i saw May flinch at the unexpected grip. 

 

"Han.. Let her go.. Its hurting her.." I managed to let these words escape from my mouth softly, but loud enough for both of them to hear, before shutting my eyes from the shots of pain. 

 

"Pssh, stop acting all girly.. Ouch!" Luhan tightened his grip and whispered in a harsh manner to May in her ears, "This has nothing to do with her. Leave her alone. Dont make me dislike you." May was shocked at Luhan's behaviour. After seconds, when Luhan's grip seemed to loosen a little, May took the chance to snap away from his grip and turned to leave the scene. But not before she said her last few words, "You are going to regret this ." 

 

Just as May was out of sight, Luhan swiftly kneeled down beside me. He hesitated to help me up as i looked like i was in a lot of pain and i shouldnt be touched. 

 

On the way out, May bumped into Kai who just bought lunch and was on the way to pick Annie up as she should be done with her part of the plan. He was confused to see May storm pass him without greeting him. He then thought, maybe Luhan has rejected her, thats why she was so angry. He shrugged and continued his journey. What he saw next didnt fit in what he thought happened. A painful look plastered across Annie's face as she slumped against the wall, grabbing her back.. and Luhan looking so helpless at the side. 

 

"What the heck happened? I left for an hour and what.." Kai shouted and placed the lunchboxes down gently and the floor before moving closer to Annie. He couldnt see her face clearly as her cap was blocking her most of the face, and so he couldnt see her red swollen cheeks. They remained like that for a long time. 

 

Finally, i felt the pain subside to a level where i could take. I moved and tried to stand. Before i collapse again, i felt 2 pairs of strong arms holding me. When i got stable on my feet, i thanked them, all the while looking down. I didnt want them to see my cheeks and my eyes. I knew i looked horrible. Luhan knew i wanted to be alone and he released his hold on me. Kai quickly took this chance to turn so that i was facing his direction. I summoned all my last ounce of energy and said, "Kai, i will see you tmr. I kind of want to be alone now. Dont worry." And with that, i gently pushed him away and broke into a run to no where specific. Before i turn at the corner, i heard Kai shouting my name and then my tears rolled down again..