Chapter Twenty-Five

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

AN: I wanted to apologize before this random and rather crappy filler chapter.

 

The six boys walked a bit awkwardly through the halls of the broadcasting station that was in the process of preparing for the live which was scheduled to start in a couple of minutes, they had finished up their rehearsal and had already went around the station to greet most of their sunbaenim before moving into their dressing room to get their stage outfits as well as their final touch ups on their make-up. As they got their microphones hooked up and taped, they all could feel their nerves slowly bubbling up to a new level. They felt far more nervous than they had prior to their debut showcase. Younghun’s eyes were glued onto the television in the dressing room – playing the broadcast. He chewed on his bottom lip out of habit – leading to the stylist giving up on the male’s lips.

The nerves were only growing worse in the males as they made their way to the stage – their time to perform on stage coming ever so closer. Younghun sighed, visibly calming himself down as they made it to the backstage area. He called for the others to stick their hands in the middle of the circle they had formed.

Younghun took a deep breath before speaking up, “We’ve finally made it to our debut stage, and we’ve all trained for years for this. Don’t let the nerves get the best of you. If you do happen to make a mistake, play it off as it if wasn’t one – be professional about it.” The others nodded, having heard the speech before, “I know this is more nerve-wracking than the showcases we’ve previously had, as it should be, seeing as how our debut stages are usually what makes or break a group. However, don’t let that bother you – don’t let it get to you. Since we went through the showcase with ease, we should have no problem today.”

The boys nodded again and Younghun smiled reassuringly – successfully calming down the others, however, he was unable to calm himself down.

Soon the boys entered the stage and began their first live performance – aside from their showcases, but those had less people than there were in the station. Anyhow, they went through “Romantically” with minimal mistakes – there were a few singing issues, but the boys easily hid that they were there. However, in “U Hoo Hoo” they weren’t so lucky.

Midway through the song, Xue had tripped over Minhyun’s foot as he moved to the front of the stage – causing him to miss a line which was sung by Sora to attempt to cover up the mistake, however, the timing was off and in turn made it more obvious.

Due to Xue tripping over Minhyun and being in the wrong position, it made Sora mess up his position as well since the elder had used Xue as a reference point in where he was supposed to be standing – however, since the fans hadn’t seen the dance before, they didn’t see the abnormality in the formation and didn’t notice the mistake – especially since the members went with it, well most of them. After the minor mistake, Xue’s vocals had become a little shaky from the nerves and the knowledge that he messed up, which lead to Younghun to step up and back him up without the fans or him really realizing it during the live.

Only after the stage in the safety and privacy in their own dressing room did they let their moods drop, showing their disappointment in themselves. Younghun looked towards Sora and Xue as they both plopped themselves down into a chair in a rather depressing manner, just as he started to move towards the duo to cheer them up he was called out of the room by Hyun Soo - who needed to speak to him – leaving the five in the room pretty much unsupervised since both managers were out in the hall talking with the leader.

“How could you mess up a simple step like that? It’s the whole reason you tripped.” muttered Minhyun, his eyes glued to the television in the corner – where their performance was playing due to the ten minute delay between them recording and the actual live.

“I didn’t mean to,” whispered Xue, “It was an accident – the missed step I mean. However, the missed step wasn’t the reason I tripped, you and Woo Jung were too close to each other at that part.”

Minhyun looked at Xue, “We were where we were supposed to be. You’re the one who made the only noticeable mistake – sure we played off of it, but it was obvious that we messed up and it didn’t help that Sora messed up as well.”

“Sorry it came up unexpectedly,” retorted Sora, looking at Minhyun, “I wasn’t expecting him to suddenly stop singing like that. Also, he is right the spacing between you and Woojung was messed up. I think you were shifted to the right of where you were supposed to be. If you look at Woojung, he’s too close to you and Shin was farther away from you – you’re supposed to be between the two in the middle of the formation with Younghun directly behind you.”

“I was not in the wrong position,” responded MinHyun, a little agitated at the fact they were falsely accusing him, “Younghun was directly behind me – Woojung was too close to me, he was supposed to be over a couple of steps, messing up the spacing.”

Woojung didn’t fight back, knowing that dancing wasn’t one of his strong points and that he hadn’t been in the right position.

Shin spoke up, “Guys, I understand that we made a couple of mistakes during the performance, but that’s no reason to argue.”

“It is if they are trying to blame me for something I did right,” stated MinHyun, “I was in the right position.”

“You were not,” stated Sora.

“If we’re talking about messing up the formations, what the heck were you two doing in the last minute of the song? What the hell was that?” growled Minhyun, peering at the two younger males, “At least the first positioning mistake wasn’t as noticeable as that.”

“It was because I tripped over you and ended up in the wrong position,” responded Xue, “Do to me being off center, Sora-hyung in turn was as well.”

Woojung opened his mouth to speak up, but was cut off as Minhyun spoke up, “So all the mistakes lead back to me? I did nothing wrong though. I was in the right position.” Minhyun’s attention turned back towards Sora, “Also, why would your positioning depend on where Xue is?” Sora opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the elder, “Choreographer-hyung specifically told you during that part to focus on being center stage.”

Sora opened his mouth only to be cut off by Woojung, “Minhyun, calm down and leave them alone. They’re already feeling horrible as it is.”

“He’s right Minhyun,” stated Shin, “However, Sora, Xue - Minhyun was in the right position.”

The elder looked at his friend – ignoring Shin’s words – opening his mouth to speak but, like everyone else in the room that had something to say, was cut off by the oldest member entering the room – entering the tense silence.

“What is going on here?” questioned Younghun calmly – his eyes running over the five members that sat in the room Shin had sighed and directed his attention towards Xue and Sora, while both Xue and Sora were looking at Minhyun, who was in turn looking at Woojung. The elder repeated the question in a stern yet calm tone, different than the gentle voice he had spoken in before, “What is going on here? What were you guys arguing about? We could hear you out in the hall.”

Xue, Sora, and Woojung looked towards Minhyun who continued to look at Woojung. Younghun sighed and turned his attention to Shin, seeing as how the others weren’t responding.

Shin then spoke up, “They were arguing over who messed up what. Sora and Xue are saying that Xue tripped because the spacing between Woojung and Minhyun was messed up and that it was Minhyun in the wrong position, they are also saying that it’s because of that they were off center in the parts following. Minhyun on the other hand, was saying that he was in the right position.”

Younghun hummed, moving towards his bag and pulling out his iPad, “How about we look at the live and find out?”

With that the boys all crowded around the eldest, watching the performance, pausing it when the part where Xue tripped over Minhyun came about, “Minhyun was in the right place – he is supposed to be that far from both Woojung and Shin – Woojung is too close to Minhyun. However, if you watch Xue, you were off balance as you moved forward due to the step you messed up, so running into Minhyun only made you lose your balance and trip. Then there was the mistake where Xue missed his line – neither Sora nor I caught it in time, however, the only reason it was noticed was because we were late coming in.” He then hit the play button – resuming his watch on their positions, “As for the last formation, Xue was just one step away from where he should’ve been – Sora was two steps, but watching the live on this screen – through the camera it was barely even noticeable.” As the live ended, Younghun looked up at the others, “They are all mistakes we can fix with practice. Now, does that settle everything?”

The three nodded silently, not wanting to respond to the leader seeing the glint in his eyes, daring them to speak up. The older despite his pleasant countenance hadn’t been in the best of moods.

 

Following that first rocky debut stage, the boys worked hard to fix all the mistakes that they made both old ones and new ones that appeared. They worked hard in both their group promotions, but also in their various solo schedules – some boys were on shows promoting with each other, others were asked to come alone as a guest. The company even asked programs to let them all on, in order to get them more popularity. Despite it being hard work and hard for them all with the busy schedules they had, it paid off in the end – they ended promotions with more fans than they had started with and that was all that really mattered.