Chapter Sixteen: Minki

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

 

 

“Oppa!” Minji called out, after I set up the picnic blanket. “Why are we having a picnic?”

“Hmmm, one of my hyungs gave me the idea.”

 


 

Early this morning, I was lying in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. While everyone else ran around packing their things, I was preoccupied with my own thoughts.

How long had it been since I’d last seen my family? A few months, at least, maybe a year; I don’t know. It’s odd, but I don’t really care. Well, not for my parents anyway, or not that much. Actually…I’m not sure I want to see them again. I mean, why would I? They’ve never done much for me. Okay, they have, but not specific to my interests. They don’t even think I’m serious about being a musician. How sad is that? My parents think my dreams are foolish. What’s wrong with-

“Yah, Minki ha-…Minki?”

“Hyung?”

Hyung looks confused, maybe it has something to do with my legs hanging off the side of the bed. No, it’s probably because I’m lying on a pile of my folded underwear. (I need to remember to put that away.)

“Hyung, is something wrong?”

With a shake of his head, hyung walked over to my bed.

Hmm, I wonder why he chose to dye his hair blond. It’s such a bright blonde too. It suits him though.

“Ooh! What kinds of things are you planning to do with her? Maybe you could go to the park, or play dress up. Girls like dress up, right?”

Oh. Wait. He’s talking to me.

“What other things do you do with your sister? I mean, with my sister, I-“

My sister? Minji? Ah, right, what am I going to do with her when I go home? If I think about it, she’s the only good thing about this trip home; otherwise I’d just spend the mini vacation here at the dorms. What could we do though?

Ah, hyung said the park, didn’t he? We could go there. Well, Eomoni won’t like it if we get dirty, so maybe we could have a picnic instead. Even if Eomoni objects, I bet Abeoji will let us go.

“Minki-ah, are you even paying attention to me?”

Oops, that’s right, hyung was talking to me.

“No hyung, I’m sorry.”

“Aish! You! I should’ve known you wouldn’t listen to me.”

Oh, that’s not good. How do I fix this? Um…no, no, no, don’t pout! Please don’t be sad! I didn’t mean to not pay attention. What do I do?! Buy him bubble tea? Ooh hyung likes animals, right? We could go to the zoo, then have bubble tea! Maybe I’ll buy some cake too…um…wait, no. That sounds too much like a date. Ahh! Hyung will think I’m weird…What do I do?!

You know, I guess I was so worried about making hyung happy again, that I completely missed the playfulness in his eyes. It’s not my fault I want to keep my friends happy.

Slowly, he seemed to be moving towards the door. In desperation, I leaned over the rail of the bed, and tried but failed to say something comforting, while stealing glances at his firm looking back end.

“Hyung…I’m sorry…don’t go?” Dang that sounded better in my head.

And then he ran over to me, smiling. His laugh was intoxicating distracting me, but I definitely heard him say something about me being horrible at talking…I know that…I’m working on it…

Resting my forehead on his, I apologized, again. I guess it’s not all that bad to be bad at socializing. If it means I get to listen to my hyung’s jokes and stories, and see that bright smile every day, then I think I’ll be fine. It’s also a good thing that hyung doesn’t mind skinship. He gives good hugs.

“Hyung…what were you saying…well, going to say when you walked in here?”

“Oh right, your limo’s here.”

“Oh.”

 


 

“Oppa! Stop spacing out! I’m already done eating, and you only ate half of your sandwich!”

Was I spacing out? Oops.

Looking around, I indeed only finished half of my sandwich. Minji looked a bit upset too. Hmm…

“Minji-ah! Oppa is sorry. I was just thinking…”

Great, now she’s “analyzing” me. This probably won’t end well. For some reason, Minji always knows what I’m thinking. Always. Either she’s that good, or my acting is that bad.

“You were thinking about a hyung you like! Oppa has a crush!”

“What?! Yah, Bang Minji, don’t say those things so loudly! A-and I don’t have crush. He’s only a friend.”

“So it was one of your hyung you were thinking about.” Darn. My sister is too smart for her own good.

“You!” I yelled, and scooped her up.

We’d probably get in trouble for this, but I started spinning her around. Sure, people were staring, but Minji was laughing, and that’s what’s important. With a bit smile, she struggled to get out of my arms, but I held on as we fell to the ground. We rolled around in the grass for a little while, Minji attempting to escape my tickling hands, and myself trying to keep a grip on my smart sister. We stopped after a few minutes, both of us out of breath from laughing so much.

Laying side by side on the grass, I looked over at Minji. She was panting, and her eyes were shut, but she was smiling.

“Oppa, you’re mean.” She told me. “You know I’m ticklish!”

I chuckled at her complaint, and looked up at the sky. I don’t remember the last time I was this happy. I’ve been training for five years, and all this time I’ve rarely gotten to spend time with my precious little sister.

“I’m sorry, Minji.”

She neither looked at me nor responded, but I knew she was listening. She’s a good girl, my parents made sure of that much.

“I’m sorry I haven’t played with you in such a long time, and that I haven’t been calling or sending you letters. It’s hard for me Minji. I’m trying, but I don’t think I’m being a good oppa? I-I’m not too sure…Oppa’s sorry Minji.”

She didn’t say anything. For a few minutes, we laid there, not speaking. The whistle of the wind through the grass, and chatter of other people in the area masked my drops of sorrow. In that moment, the only thing I could take comfort in was my little sister, standing over me, looking at me like I just did something weird.

“Oppa, you’re weird.”

Minji moved back to the picnic blanket, and I sat up, waiting for further explanation.

“But Minji, you already know that.”

“Yeah, but now you’re weirder. I know you’re busy, and even though I’m lonely sometimes, it’s okay. Because Oppa is happy doing what he’s doing, I can be happy too. So, don’t be sad that you don’t play with me too much, or that you don’t call me. You’re the bestest oppa ever! As long you’re happy, it’ll always be okay.”

Oh Minji, you always know just how to make me feel better. Thank you.

 

 

“Hey Minji,” I said after a few minutes. “What are you looking around for?”

“Did you bring us extra clothes Oppa?”

Extra clothes? It’s not like we went swimming or anything.

“No, why, did you spill something on yourself?”

She turned around to look at me, and I was greeted with a scared little sister.

 “What’s eomma gonna say when we go home? When we came to the park, my dress was white, and now it’s green! I can’t get the green off either!”

 

Shoot. Grass stains. Eomoni, have mercy on us.

 

 


 

 

We ate dinner in silence. The clicking of silverware and chopsticks against china dishes were the only sounds I could hear. I didn’t dare lift my eyes from my food. There was always something wrong if the house was quiet but no one was asleep, and this time the reason for silence was Eomoni.

Dearest friends at Top Media Entertainment, if I don’t come back tomorrow, then I’m most likely dead. I leave to you all of my stuff in the dorm. The year round zoo pass and soccer ball are for Duckie hyung, my café coupons and buy-X-get-one-coffee-free punch cards are for Woojungie hyung, and Younghun hyung gets the fancy camera that I’ve yet to open. Please take my numerous paintings and hang them around the company building. You may divide everything else among yourselves as you please.

“Minki. Would you care to explain why Minji and yourself came home absolutely filthy?”

Here we go; wish me luck.

“Forgive me Eomoni. I take full responsibility for our actions. I’m sorry for being so careless, and allowing both Minji and I to-“

“You’re sorry? You’re sorry? Minji’s dress was brand new; I just bought it yesterday, and all you can say is you’re sorry? Young man, I raised you better than this. When I say something is a bad idea, then it is a bad idea! I am your mother. I am baffled that you refuse to listen to me. First you run off and become a “trainee” for something that will prove itself to be fruitless, then you refuse engagement to that wonderful girl who happens to be the granddaughter of the CEO of Samsung, and now this?! While this may only seem to be a minor offense, I assure you, the more you rebel now, the worse things will be in your future. I raised you to be obedient! You are my first born; My son!”

I took my eyes off my food for a second to peek at my mother. Oh, that poor steak; She’s mutilating it. So, she’s definitely mad. No, that’s an understatement, but you get the idea.

“Speaking of, when do you plan on coming home? You have one year, and then you need to attend college! I’ve allowed you to chase your childish dreams for a few years, but now it’s time to grow up!”

“Eunji, dear.”

“By the end of this year, I expect you to be ready for business school. You’ve had your fun, but you’ll be an adult soon, and it’s time to take on your responsibilities.”

“Eunji, stop.”

“I swear, you will be disowned if you dare try to actually become one of these “idols”. I am quite aware of the competition occurring at this ‘Top Media Entertainment’, and be aware that I shall be calling the company within the next week to inform them that you will be dropping out. You will come home, and you will-“

“EUNJI THAT IS QUITE ENOUGH!”

Abeoji shouted with incredible audacity, at a volume I’ve only ever heard thrice. He slammed his fist on the table, and once again the house was dead silent. In front of me, my mother looked quite angry, but held her tongue. To my left, Minji was holding back tears that were on the verge of falling. While her fear was evident, she masked it well behind a trained silence and a practiced calm face. As for myself, I could feel guilt and anger shooting at me like arrows. I dared not speak against my mother, but white knuckles from gripping my chopsticks to tightly were enough to tell her exactly how I felt.

And finally, to my right sat my father. Abeoji…While not a man of many words, he needs not say anything to get his point across. Like my mother, he doesn’t approve of what I’m currently doing, but he’s willing to let me try. He thinks I’ll realize on my own how stupid I’m being and come crawling back to them.

I hate it. I hate this. This is why I want to be an idol in the first place. I want to do what I love and be surrounded by people who support me no matter what I think. I want to sing and dance and I want people to not tell me that it’s wrong. And then, once I have the money, I’ll take Minji away from these people we call our parents. I’ll let her be free, and I’ll let her live her dreams. And maybe…maybe I can be with him.

 

            That night, I wanted nothing more than to be back at the dorms with the people who care about me.

 


 

“Hm? Oh! Minki, welcome back! How was your mini-vacation?”

Home, sweet home! It’s good to be back!

“Younghun hyung~”

He laughed as I hugged him, and messed with my hair a bit. That’s something I like about this hyung. He always cares, no matter how crazy it may be, he’ll care about you. I hummed in response, but it seemed to be good enough for him. Honestly, I wouldn’t have let go, but he wanted some food, so I headed for the living room instead.

There weren’t too many of us back yet. Younghun hyung was in the kitchen, Woojung hyung just walked out of his room, so Minhyun hyung is probably around too, and Minseokie hyung is on the couch.

“Wah!”

A voice sounded from behind me as I felt someone run into my back.

“Jaydenie!~”

Poor kid. That hug I gave him might have scared him a bit. Just a little bit.

“H-hyung! You’re happy today.”

“Ne~” Wow, I really am happy today. I guess I missed this place that much, even if I was only gone for a day.

Now, what else can I do? Technically, schedules don’t resume until tomorrow morning, and they can’t because only half of us are here. Oh, I know!

“Um…”

Woojung hyung seemed more surprised than Jayden. I guess that’s what happens when you randomly hug people, but they don’t seem to mind too much. Besides, Woojung hyung looked lonely. While no words were exchanged, he awkwardly patted my head, and I let go. I’m pretty sure I heard Minhyun hyung laughing from somewhere, but I couldn’t quite pin point his location.

And now, I saved the best for last.

“Minseokie hyung!”

I must have had a lot of energy, because I literally ran, jumped, and tackled Minseok hyung on to the couch. We laughed for a moment, and he held his phone up.

“Smile Minki-ah!”

With my arms tightly secured around his waist, the two of us took who knows how many selcas.

Soon enough, everyone else made it back to the dorms, and Younghyun hyung called us in to eat dinner. Afterwards, when we finished swapping stories about our vacations. That night, I laid in bed again, staring up at the ceiling; while everyone else was sleeping, I was preoccupied with my own thoughts.

It’s definitely not going to be easy in the coming weeks, and I know I’m going to miss some of these friends, but it’s okay. Maybe we’ll get separated, but if we follow our dreams, then we can be happy. And so long as we’re happy, it’ll all be okay.


Yo, quick note from me (cat-turtle) who wrote this chapter. If anything, our awesome author-nim nailed Minki's personality. This is really an explination of how he acts around certain people, and what goes on in his head since he really doesn't say much. Also, the Spectrum members that he (not me, Minki) has taken a liking to are mentioned, while his crush is hinted at.

Thanks for reading!

 

Thank you cat-turtle for putting the time and effort into this chapter - and again I will repeat this:

You all really know how to make me feel attached to your characters. It's really going to be a hard decision on my part. Each time I think I have who I'm going to pick figured out, one of the chapters about your characters would come and mess it all up. *pouts*  Anyway, onto the final member Jay. ^^

- Lane (your author)