Chapter Twelve: Chris

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

The fifth oldest of the Spectrum boys climbed out of the taxi as it pulled up in front of a small flower shop – stretching his aching body after traveling for over four hours via both train and bus to Busan. A small smile lit up the male’s face as he pulled out his overnight bag and handed money to cover his travel fair to the taxi driver before moving towards the flower shop where he could see a woman in her mid-forties tending to a costumer who was interested in some foreign flower the store had started selling just recently – with the arrival of the spring.

Through the window he spotted some neighborhood ahjumma smiling as she looked at the ten-month baby in the familiar man’s arms – the sight of the ten-month old baby made the male’s smile grow broader.

Slowly, the tired male moved towards the mystical looking store – his eyes scanning over the array of colors and plants that filled both shelves within the store but some shelves outside. The young male looked around the store – dreaming of a time he’d see the store grow into something bigger, possibly into a chain of flower shops that were all over the country, not just in Busan.  He smiled impossibly wider as he passed through the opening that acted as the front door to the store and the calming scent of all the flowers greeted his nose – the scent was one that he missed during his days training in Seoul. He had become so accustomed to smelling the scent of both his own and the other member’s sweat, so the flowers were a nice improvement.

“Christopher?” muttered his mother in shock – not expecting the male to suddenly appear in the shop like he had, “What are you doing here? What about training?”

The nineteen year old smiled, moving towards his mother who happily embraced him, who she admits to missing greatly during his absence. The woman’s oldest smiled and hugged her back, speaking as he did so, “I have the day and night off – I have to go back tomorrow, but we don’t have to be there until the evening. They decided to give us the day off with how we’ve been so busy training in recent weeks and with the final audition coming up so soon.”

The woman smiled, hugging her son tightly, only to pull away and catch her son his lip – she rubbed the boy’s arms, “Have you eaten yet?”

Chris shook his head, smiling towards his mother who automatically clasped her hand around his thin wrist, pulling him towards the stairs in the back of the large shop that lead up to their flat.

“Eomma,” stated the nineteen year old, pulling his wrist out of his mother’s grasp, shocking the woman slightly, “I want to greet abeoji and Alex first.”

The woman smiled, patting her son’s cheeks and nodding, “Alright, come up when you’re ready – I’ll make you some lunch before coming back down.”

Chris smiled happily, nodding towards his umma, who then moved towards the stairs again as he moved towards where he had previously seen his father holding his precious baby brother – despite his stomach growling in protest, the male moved towards the duo.

“Abeoji!” called Christopher as he saw the elderly woman moving away from the said male, the male automatically turned towards his older son, smiling widely as the baby in his arms made slight gurgling sounds, reaching towards Chris.

As soon as he got close enough, Chris snatched his little brother out of his father’s arms and cradled him close to himself – pressing a chaste kiss to the infant’s forehead before greeting his father happily.

“What are you doing home with your final audition being just around the corner?” asked his father, ruffling his nineteen year old son’s hair gently.

“We were given the day off to relax with how busy we’ve been recently,” stated Chris, his attention more towards his adorable little brother than his father. A broad smile was spread over the infant’s face as the said boy played with his hyung’s fingers with his small hands.

“Where did your eomma go?” questioned his father.

“She went upstairs to make lunch,” stated Chris.

His father turned towards the two workers that he and his wife had hired to help around the shop, which was steadily growing more popular, “Mi Young, Tae Seong – can you two handle the store for an hour or so?”

The two looked up and the female chimed happily towards her boss, “Go spend some time with your son; we know how much you’ve been missing him.”

With that being said, the man led his sons up the stairs and into their home – where upon entering they were greeted by the delicious scent of dukbokki.  Chris happily entered the kitchen with his drowsy brother in his arms, his mother turned around for a second from where she was busy cooking to see the two – a smile spreading across her lips.

“How did I expect that this was coming?” questioned Chris’s mother, smiling widely, “Honey, it’s time for his nap, so could you take care of it since I’m busy with lunch?”

Chris smiled and nodded, “Did he eat already?”

Chris’ mother nodded, “If he becomes stubborn warm up some milk for him.”

Chris hummed – knowing the drill, moving out of the kitchen with his brother who was nodding off in his arms – not wanting the sounds of his mother cooking to awaken the boy once he finally did slip into slumber.

Chris smiled as he gently rocked the infant, lulling him to sleep with the action and soft tune he sang. In a matter of minutes, Chris had Alex in a deep, restful slumber – resting happily in his crib. Once he was sure that the infant wouldn’t wake up again, the elder moved back through the living room and into the kitchen, where he happily took a seat at the table – awaiting the food that was nearly done. His father sat across from him reading the newspaper.

“It looks delicious,” stated Chris as his mother set down the dishes covered in food. The boy smiled happily as he filled his plate with food – a lot more than his mother and father, who were still surprised by how much their son ate. He smiled towards his mother, bowing his head respectfully, “I’ll eat it well.”

His mother laughed, eating her own food as her son started to stuff his face with his mother’s delicious cooking – his parents watching on in amusement, both noticing that he was eating more than he used to.

“Do they feed you properly?” questioned his mother in concern.

The male nodded, smiling towards his parents, covering his mouth which still had some food in it as he spoke, “They feed us plenty of food – after the audition, they’re going to put some of us on a diet. I don’t really understand why though.”

His mother shrugged and looked at her son, “How has training been?”

“Good,” stated Chris, pausing to swallow the food in his mouth, “Everyone’s gotten better. The competition is really tight.”

“Chris, even if you don’t make it into the group, know that we’re proud of you,” stated his father, patting his shoulder, “Also, if you don’t make it, don’t get discouraged and give up, after all if you got this far for this group, think about how far you can go with the next.”

Chris smiled, nodding to his father’s words.

“What do you think the chance of you getting into the group is?” asked his mother curiously.

“I think it’s pretty low – there are so many people that are better than me, their skills are well developed all across the boards while I’m not too sure about mine,” stated Chris, looking at his plate, “I’m really nervous about the final auditions – all of us are because we all know that we all have to be good otherwise none of us would’ve made it to this point in the competition.”

“It must be difficult for you – for your group mates,” stated his mother, staring at her son who was back to stuffing food into his mouth, “You all have to go against your friends – family, possibly, if you all are already that close with each other.”

Chris nodded, smiling sadly at his mother, “It’s going to be hard on those who make it into the group since they’ll have to see the rest go and it’s going be hard for those of us who don’t make it into the group because we didn’t make it.”

“I really hope the cut doesn’t tear any of your friendships apart,” stated Chris’ mother, caressing her older son’s cheek – wiping away some sauce that was there.

 

Later that night, Chris’s parents had closed down their shop early – happily spending some time with their son, who they had a feeling they’d be seeing less of in coming weeks. Chris, however, was completely focused on his baby brother – not really paying attention to his parents.  

“Eomma, abeoji, it’s been a while since you’ve gone out together,” stated Chris, “since I’m here – why don’t you go out and enjoy the night?”

“Because we have you and your brother to take care of,” stated his mother.

Chris pouted slightly, looking at his mother and father, “Please go out. I’ll take care of Alex, you don’t have to worry. You two are always working, so go out and enjoy the night while I’m here.”

“We should spend time with you though since you’re here,” stated Chris’ mother, “After all, who knows when the next time we’ll see you is.”

Chris pouted, “Please?”

“Why are you trying to get rid of us?” question his mother, acting offended.

“Annie,” stated Chris’s father, “Let’s go out, it’s not every night that we have a chance like this.”

“But I want to spend time with Chris,” stated his mother.

“You can spend time with me tomorrow morning,” stated Chris, “I only need to be back later in the evening for a practice.”

His mother nodded in understanding, pressing a kiss to her sons’ foreheads before heading to her room, changing to go out.

As his mother and father left the apartment, his mother lectured him about Alex and told him when to feed and put the little boy to bed. Once Chris’s father got his mother out of the apartment, Chris shut the front door and looked at the little boy in his arms who was on his pacifier.

“It looks like it’s just you and me, Alex,” stated Chris, smiled towards his infant brother, who blinked at him, a smile appearing on his face as his brother spoke to him. The little boys’ eye smile got his older brother’s attention right away, especially as the little boys’ small pink lips spread into a smile.

Chris smiled at how adorable his brother was, pressing a kiss to the boys’ little button nose before moving back into the living room with the young boy.

 

Here is the chapter for none other than Christopher (maximumj's character), with this half of the members' chapters are up and we're all getting closer to the final decision - ever so slowly.

What do you think of all the characters you've learned about so far? 

- Lane