Chapter Six

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

 

The weeks passed by quickly with their constant training as well as their filming for the show that had become pretty popular amongst the fans of Teen Top, but it wasn’t too well known of a show but it helped them get recognized. Despite the fact there show wasn’t too popular it was slowly growing in popularity with the fans curiosity about Younghun that had arisen since his appearance in his historical drama.

It was like the previous weeks and they were woken early to head to their filming sight, however, when they go to the car where Hyun Soo was waiting they were shocked to see that they were missing someone.

“Where is Younghun-hyung?” asked Minseok.

“He had to leave early for filming,” stated Hyun Soo, “Plus, it’s been decided that he won’ t be showing up this episode so that those who are interested in the group now can learn more about you all and plus, the television company has been editing most of Younghun’s parts in even when we tell them not to, so he has voluntarily stepped down from the show for the time being – he’s going to be focusing on his drama as well as the vocal lessons since his vocals have dropped pretty drastically from before. Aside from the lessons, he’ll be focusing on his preparations for the final round of auditions that will be taking place in two weeks.”

“Which probably means that this is our first time filming a game like episode for the show,” stated Sora a little disappointed.

Hyun Soo nodded, “That’s exactly right.”

Sora pouted slightly, “You can’t be serious this can’t be the last episode with this game like setting.”

“I’m not joking,” stated Hyun Soo, starting up the car finally, getting on the move towards their filming location, “This is the final game-like episode you will film as a group of ten, well, in this case nine.”

The boys frowned and Minseok stated, “Shouldn’t Younghun-hyung be here then?”

“He chose not to appear,” stated Hyun Soo, “We tried to change his mind but he felt that as long as he was here you all were going to be neglected by those who were brought to the group through him.”

The boys frowned but nodded in understanding.

 

It was an hour into the drive and Hyun Soo peeked at the nine through the rear view mirror and smiled widely at the scene he was witnessing. Sora and Minseok were happily talking (rather loudly) while taking selcas together while Hajoon, Jay, and Minki who were stuck in the back seat sat and had a quiet conversation. Shin talked to Chris – who was being left out of the other conversations – and then Minhyun and Woojung were quietly talking to each other (well, more like Minhyun was talking to Woojung). The nine boys had obviously grown closer together within the past weeks and Hyun Soo was really hoping that the boys stayed friends even after the final members were chosen since he knew that it would be good for the boys to have friends to support them in the company. Plus, he saw those that wouldn’t be picked making it into the next boy band the company was going to make.

“Hyun Soo-hyung.”

Minseok, snapped the elder out of his thoughts, causing Hyung Soo to turn his attention towards the boys while focusing on the road, “What is it?”

 “How much longer are we going to be on the road?” asked Minseok, curiously?

“About two more hours,” the words caused the car to erupt into a chorus of groans.

“Seriously?” asked Sora.

The elder nodded, “Yes, you all two more hours. I’d go to sleep if I were you, after all these type of filming days tend to make you all exhausted.”

The males nodded in understanding, silently settling into their seats – the chatter had resumed but on a lower level until it finally started to decrease and the car eventually fell into complete silence, giving the manager some peace.

 

The boys were all awoken as the car came to a complete stop, the nine looked around groggily but seeing the ocean, they all woke up rather quickly – all rushing to get out of the car, not even knowing if they were supposed to be there or where they were supposed to go, better yet, they weren’t aware of what was going to happen. Hyun Soo watched the nine in amusement as they moved towards the water, completely oblivious to the cameras that were already filming them. As soon as they were a safe distance from the car, he locked the door and just as the nine started to move back towards the car for their bags and other things – started to drive away.

“Hyun Soo- hyung!” called out Sora.

“Where are you going?” cried out Minseok.

“Comeback here Hyun Soo-hyung!” called Chris.

Hajoon and Minki joined in and Jay stood there shouting towards their manager who they could hardly see anymore. However, when the car was out of sight, they all fell silent.

Minhyun decided to break the silence, “Why does it matter that he left us here? We’re at the beach, let’s have a vacation.”

“It’s too cold to play in the water though,” stated Jay, looking at his hyung.

“We can still have fun on the beach,” stated Shin, ruffling the magnae’s hair.

“You guys do realize that we’re filming for the show right? Do we ever get a break from being tormented?” asked Woo Jung, speaking the most he had since the show had started.

Minhyun smiled and the other seven nodded a little bitterly, sitting down rather reluctantly, glancing around the beach and spotting some of the cameras but they had yet to spot Teen Top – that is until another van from their company pulled onto the beach. They attempted to warn the Teen Top members – who were also oblivious of their event that day – not to get out of the van, however the six were too excited about being at a beach to actually notice.

As Chunji tried to get in again, he realized the door was locked and he started knocking on the window, trying to get the manager to open the door and instead of the man opening the door, he drove away. Chunji turned towards the six, “You guys were left here as well?”

The nine nodded and the Teen Top members collapsed onto the sand with the Spectrum members as they did so the PD showed himself, walking to the group of fifteen with the VJs following him, making it so that they could get better shots of the fifteen boys.

“Today, you all are on a vacation, courtesy of both your company and Jhun – who was unable to join us today due a scheduling issue,” stated the PD.

“It’s not going to be very relaxing,” stated Minhyun, “What’s the thing you’re not telling us?”

“Where are we going to be staying?”

“That is today’s game,” stated the PD, “You all will split into three teams of five and race each other to the house you will be staying in tonight and the following.”

“What is so great about winning?” asked Woojung.

“The team that wins not only gets to choose their sleeping arrangements, but everyone else’s. Plus, the team that wins gets out of chores the whole time you are all on this little mini vacation and on top of all that, the winning team gets to choose what games you play and what you do, where you go on, etc.”

The boys all looked at each other in excitement, making eye contact and communicating with those they want to team up with, “There is a catch though,” the PD’s words made the group turn their attention back to him, “We asked Jhun to put you into groups because we knew that you all would try to split up like you all are now.”  The boys groaned and the PD continued, “Team one is made of Shin, Jay, Minhyun, L.Joe, and Chunji. Team two is made of WooJung, Niel, Chris, Changjo, and Xue. The final team is made of those who remain: Len, Sora, Minki, Ricky, and CAP.”

“How exactly are we supposed to get to the house?” asked the boys.

“These maps,” stated the PD, revealing three pieces of rolled up paper – each a different color, “Each team will choose one member to be in charge of the map – the leader – and that person will get to face off the other two map holders in a round of rock, paper, scissors and the winner will get to choose their map first and the runner up second, thus meaning the first person to get out gets the last one remaining.”

The boys frowned, but they talked within the groups and it was decided that Shin, CAP, and Woo Jung would be the leaders. The three did the rock, paper, scissors battle. The order they got to choose in was Woo Jung, Shin, and then CAP. When the boys got their paper and returned to their group, they unrolled the paper and protests arose.

“How does this qualify as a map!?” asked Minhyun, revealing his team’s map that looked like a mess of squiggly lines – it looked like a five year old had drawn it.

“They don’t even look like they are leading to the same location,” stated Woo Jung, revealing his team’s ‘map’ it looked a little like the other’s map but it was clearer.

The third team jumped around laughing excitedly.

“What are you guys so excited about?” asked Chunji bitterly.

“We’re going to win,” stated Sora, covering the map when the other teams tried to take a peek at it, “Can we head off now?”

The PD nodded, “You all can head off whenever you want to.  Please be aware you all have a couple of missions you must do through the race – they are check points. If you fail, you will be sent back to the previous check point to do it over again as well as the one you failed.”

They all looked at the PD in shock.

“You want to torture us huh?” stated Chunji.

“No, your company did,” stated the PD, smiling, “This race was designed by Andy and some parts were made with the aid of your managers and the maps are the courtesy Younghun and his four year old niece and six year old nephew.”

The two groups that had maps that were scribbled on were scowling and eyeing the last group’s map, however before anyone could make a move to steal it the group with the unrevealed map took off running in a direction opposite of what the maps the other teams had. As team three ran away, they were all laughing loudly, unable to control their happiness as they did so.

Seeing as how team three was long gone by the time the other two teams were finished deciphering their maps, the two teams set off in the same direction, hoping that they’d see something that was marked on the map so that they’d know that they were going the right direction.

 

About fifteen minutes later, the two groups made it to the first check point – the two racing each other towards it, looking around for team three – only to be told that they had passed by about ten minutes ago because unlike the two teams that were slowly moving along, they didn’t keep getting lost and didn’t go in the opposite direction they were supposed to.

“What is the first mission?” asked Shin, since his group had arrived at the checkpoint a step before the other.

“Two of you must jump rope together ten times with one jump rope,” stated the writer who sat at the first check point. Handing Shin a jump rope, “choose a member from your team.”

Shin looked at the other four, L.Joe and Min moved away from him.

“Also, just letting you know, you only get one try, if you fail – you’ll be sent to the beginning,” stated the writer, automatically stirring up the boys.

“That is outrageous, at least give us a warm up round!” stated Chunji, “You guys can’t keep doing this.”

The writer covered her face and stated, “I’m just following the orders Andy-sshi gave me.”

The boys frowned and Min pushed Jay out to Shin, “He’s the youngest; he should be able to handle this.”

“Please give us at least two chances,” stated Shin, trying to get an extra chance for the group. The lady stared at him for a second, before nodding.

Shin smiled and stood facing with Jay, who was frowning at being forced to jump rope. The duo started and the others counted.

“One, two, three, four, five…Ahh!” stated the other three on the team as Jay came down on the rope, making them fail the first attempt.

“We’ll start our second challenge,” stated Shin, he started to move the jump rope and the magnae started to jump with him while those watching yet again began to count.

“One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine…one more!” called out Chunji in excitement, however, his happiness was crushed as the two suddenly messed up on their final jump. As soon as it stopped, Shin dropped the rope and moved towards Niel who had purposely reached out and stopped the rope – it hurt his hand a bit, but it was worth it for the race.

“Yah!” yelled Shin angrily, moving towards Niel, who moved back a bit, moving towards Woojung, who stepped between the two to stop the fight before it even began.

“Fail,” stated the writer, “You all must walk back to the beginning line and return before challenging again.”

Shin spun to face her, “Niel stopped the rope though, that is interference – we were so close.”

“That’s not my problem,” muttered the writer before laughing, “go back.”

Jay then moved forwards, “Can we please have another try? Please?” He gave her an adorable pleading expression, begging the woman for a third and final try, “If we fail this time we will go to the starting line.”

The writer shifted in her seat, “I wasn’t even supposed to give you the second try, but alright.”

The five on team one cheered and Shin and Jay got ready again, they jumped happily, getting to nine before Niel disrupted them yet again. As soon as Niel did it, the writer looked towards Niel’s team, “Fail, you must return to the starting line. As for team one, you all came to nine twice, so I’ll let you pass.”

The five smiled and moved away in excitement, moving towards the next check point – or well, the place where they thought it was.

 

Team three leisurely walked towards the third check point for the fourth time, having failed it again. As they walked, they all looked at the very detailed map that led them through the town with no issues so far – which was far better than the other groups were doing.

“How many more check points do we have after this one?” asked Sora.

“There is one after this and then we should arrive the house, so as long as we get through the check point this time, we should make it there before the others have a chance to catch up,” stated CAP, “then again we don’t know how the others did, so we could be running into some problems.”

The others nodded and they carried on until the third check point which was winning a memory game and the boys decided it was Minki’s turn to challenge it since Sora and Minseok had done it previously and had failed.

As the boy was playing the game, team one came up all excited about how they were coming closer to the end of the race and claiming first, however, when they saw the game their excitement level dropped severely.

“The last card is…red?” stated Minki, unsure of the actual color.

The writer nodded, “Pass, you all can go on to the fourth challenge.”

The boys cheered happily, patting Minki on the back, Minseok and Sora complimented the boy who still seemed rather awkward around them and in front of a camera. Minki smiled happily, waving towards those on team one as he followed his team mates towards the final check point.

Seconds later, team one was joined again by team two who were out for vengeance, completely forgetting about the team that was moving towards the final check point and were just one stop away from getting to the house and claiming the control spot.

 

“We need a plan to distract them so they’re sent back,” stated Niel, turning to look at his team mates, “Does anyone have any ideas as to what we can do?”  

“Why are we focusing on them and not on the race?” asked Chris, curiously, “I say we go after the first place team.”

“We’re already too far behind them,” stated Niel, “We might as well get our revenge and come in second.”

“Does any place after first actually matter?” asked Woojung.

“Listen, we were forced to go back so we should make sure they have to go back as well,” stated Niel, “There is no way we’ll catch up to the first place team with the map we have.”

“That is true,” stated Changjo, nodding to his hyung’s words.

“If you want revenge, you might want to do it soon,” whispered Xue, “They’re nearly done with the game.”

Niel screamed, making Chunji turn to face him with a frown as he said the wrong color, making the oldest member furious as the writer – the judge of the game – told his team to return to the previous check point. Chunji moved towards Niel and again, Woojung stepped between the two.

“Go back to the second check point,” stated WooJung motioning towards the direction his group came from seconds ago.

Chunji glared at him before walking past them, grumbling angrily under his breath as he was followed by his team mates. Minhyun looked at Woojung in amusement, knowing that this battle between their two teams wasn’t over just yet and wouldn’t be for a while – until they returned to Seoul.

 

“Where is the last check point?” muttered Minseok, “We should be there already according to the map.”

CAP nodded glancing around the area with the others; they all looked around for the buildings written down on the map. Suddenly, Ricky noticed something, “Look over there.”

The male’s team mates turned around and saw the stairs leading to the top of a small mountain and back at the map they held and saw the faint drawing of stairs along the path they were following, so they all left out sighs and began their climb. As the moved up the stairs, they saw the confrontation of the other two teams in the distance and started laughing at the problems the two teams were having, especially as it looked like Chunji and Niel were about to fight with each other.

“Oh, god, this is priceless,” stated Sora, taking a picture of the scene at just the right time, making his photo hilarious to look at.

“Send that to Younghun-hyung, give him something to laugh about since he’s probably tired at his drama set,” stated Minseok, Sora nodded and sent it to the oldest member of Spectrum as they continued up the stairs.

“How much longer is it going to take,” muttered Minseok, “This is making my legs hurt.”

“We’re about halfway,” stated Minki, “at least I think.”

Minseok sighed, but nodded.

The boys were relieved to see that the final check point was right at the top of the stairs and they were relieved that it looked relatively easy. The five walked to the writer who smiled at them, “This is your last check point, you pass this and you get the keys to the house and even if you arrive at the house last, you’ll win.” The boys smiled, an idea popping up in their heads as soon as she finished speaking, “Anyway, all you have to do is answer three of the five questions right and you win. You all can have three chances to answer one question.”

The five smiled.

“Minseok’s mother has seven children,” stated the writer, “red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple – what is the seventh child’s name?”

“My mother doesn’t have seven children though,” stated Minseok.

“Think of it as a hypothetical situation,” stated the writer, laughing slightly as she spoke, “what are your answers?”

“Indigo,” stated CAP.

“Violet?” stated Ricky.

“Both of those are wrong,” stated the writer.

“It’s me,” stated Minseok, “After all, I have no siblings named after colors.”

The writer laughed at Minseok’s response and moved onto the next question, “This is a question about the Spectrum members, how many members have both a brother and a sister?”

CAP and Ricky looked towards the three spectrum members in their group and patiently waited for them to answer the question.

Minseok, Minki, and Sora were counting on their fingers.

“Do brother in laws count?” asked Sora, “I know Younghun-hyung has one.”

The writer nodded.

“Then it’s four,” stated Minseok, “Because Younghun has a sister and a brother in law, I have a sister and baby brother, Sora has an older brother and younger sister, and then Xue has a younger brother and sister.”

“Correct,” stated the writer, “The next question is, how many Spectrum members have a relative under the age of ten?”

“We learnt today that Younghun has a six year old nephew and a four year old niece,” stated Ricky, “So that’s one we know of.”

Minseok nodded, “I have a five year old brother.”

“Chris has a baby brother, doesn’t he?” asked Sora, thinking about the other member’s families, “Woo Jung’s sister is eight years old if my memory isn’t failing me.”

“I have a sister that is ten, does that count?” asked Minki, politely, knowing that his parents watch the show to check up on his behavior.

The writer nodded.

“Xue’s siblings are both under the age of ten,” stated Minseok.

“So that’s six,” stated CAP, since he had kept track of the Spectrum members on his fingers, “Does Jay have any siblings?”

“He only has a twin, so there are only six members that have a relative under the age of ten,” stated Sora, the writer nodded, she smiled.

“You all pass,” stated the woman, “You answered three of the five questions right, so here are the keys to the house.”    

“Can we answer some of the other questions?” asked Ricky, “It’s going to be a while until we see the other groups, seeing as how they are both heading back to the second check point.”

The lady smiled, “I guess you can.”

“Wait, we have to trick the others though,” stated CAP.

“How?” asked Minseok.

“Obviously we act like we failed this one, which is the easiest one,” stated Sora, smiling.

“Sounds like a plan…I guess,” stated Sora, the others nodded and they move back down the stairs and towards the third check point to start their trick.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” asked the members of team one, looking at the members of team three.

“We failed the final check point, obviously,” stated Minseok.

“You guys don’t seem too angry about it,” stated Chunji, suspiciously.

“That’s because we’re too tired to waste energy on  being angry,” stated Sora, going along with Minseok’s act – doing CAP’s plan of tricking the others.

“Are you serious?” asked L.Joe, eyeing the group as he felt that something was off about the confrontation.

“Very,” stated CAP, lying straight to the face of two of s while Ricky looked towards the checkpoint booth, trying hard not to let the lie show through, Chunji eyed the second youngest Teen Top member before moving towards the booth to challenge the test again.

“Are you lying?” asked Min.

The three other Spectrum members smiled at him, “Not at all.”

“That is sarcasm, isn’t it?” questioned Min.

“As if it is,” stated L.Joe.

“Be quiet shorty,” stated Min, looking towards the younger 93er, glaring, “I wasn’t talking to you.”

L.Joe glared towards the other before moving to the other Teen Top member on team one to help him with the challenge, not really wanting to deal with Min for the time being since he had been teased enough about his height that day as it was.

Team one then passed the third check point and moved onto the fourth and final check point, leaving team three at the third check point where they acted like they were challenging it again for team two who was arriving just as team one left the area.

“You guys failed?” questioned Woo Jung, a little suspicious of the group.

The boys nodded and Woojung had problems believing that team three’s winning streak would suddenly end like it had.

Minseok nodded, “We ran into complications at the fourth check point.”

“Why do I have a hard time believing that?” questioned Niel, watching as Minki made team three pass the third check point and move on to the final check point.

The boys in team three then took off running to the hill again, trying hard to keep their act together, however, when they made it to the top of the hill team one awaited them in anger. As soon as they stepped foot in the area of the checkpoint, a frustrated Chunji grabbed the collar of CAP’s shirt, pulling him close and angrily ranting towards the oldest Teen Top member – just as that happened, team two arrived and were angry to hear that they were played and refused to go through the fourth check point since they had already lost as it was.

“Alrighty then, calm down kids,” stated the PD, laughing, “The race was just about two hours long due to you all getting lost countless times and some of you being sent back to the very beginning twice.” He looked towards team one and two who were secretly plotting team three’s demise, “However, it wasn’t all for nothing.” He pointed towards the road and the Teen Top and Spectrum members spotted the two vans for Spectrum and the single van that belonged to the manager of Teen Top, “Your managers will you all to paradise.”

“How far away is it?” asked the boys towards the PD.

“An hour and a half,” stated the PD, “Anyways, we’ll see you all there – also be aware of the cameras in the cars.”

The boys nodded, already used to the way the PD ran things.

The boys split up into their groups, Teen Top going into their van and Spectrum splitting up into their two. The members of Spectrum were surprised to find that Jong Suk was in the second van with Younghun, who looked like he was about to fall asleep where he sat in the middle seat. Min, Shin, Minseok, and Sora climbed into the van since the group had split up so the oldest five were in the van and the younger five were in the other. Minseok and Sora were sitting on the side of Younghun while Min and Shin moved into the back seat since they wanted breathing room.

“Why are you here?” asked Sora.

“Should I take it that you don’t want me here?” shot back Younghun, covering his mouth as he yawned.

“We thought you were busy filming,” stated Minseok.

“I was, the filming finished earlier than planned though and they don’t need me for the next couple of days since I’m vanishing for a little bit in the episodes we’re filming,” muttered Younghun, “Since I finished earlier, Andy-hyung decided to make me come and stay with you all.”

“You don’t sound too enthusiastic about it,” muttered Min, from the back seat.

“Wait, are you filming with us?”

The elder shook his head, “I’m not to be filming so I’ll be off on my own tomorrow and the following morning – that or Jong Suk-hyung will be with me.”

“He’ll make appearances, but he will mainly be away from you all for the day because we don’t want them suddenly cutting your air time,” stated Jong Suk, smiling at the other members.

“I have a really important question hyung,” stated Minseok.

“What is that?” asked Younghun, glancing towards the oldest 94er.

“Why in the world do you smell like baby powder?” questioned Minseok, “You smell it too, right Sora?”

The other 94er in the car nodded, “It is strong.”

 

With that the boys set off towards their ‘paradise’ home where CAP, Ricky, Minseok, Sora, and Minki got to choose the sleeping arrangements – aside from Younghun who got to have a room to him, which was right beside the room the managers were sharing.

When they arrived at the house – after taking a couple of detours and making a couple of pit stops, the five went to work choosing the sleeping arrangements and telling the ten losers their chores before retreating to their rooms and taking a nap until dinner since they didn’t have anything else to do and because they all were very tired. As for the man who was running solo in the house, he was out of it almost as soon as they arrived at the house – a full night of filming and early morning shoot to blame.

The dinner team made the food and woke up those who were sleeping and then after the meal, some of the ‘losers’ from earlier that day washed the dishes while the rest of the boys were sitting around the living room of the house and watching movies together, the sixteenth young adult had slipped back to his room in the house and let himself get taken away to dream land since he had no responsibilities while they were at the ‘paradise’ home.

Their movie marathon ended at around one – halfway through a horror movie they were watching – because the managers had come in and scolded them all for staying up so late when they were supposed to start filming earlier the following morning.

The boys all went to bed after cleaning up and after being scolded by the managers a second time at three in the morning, however, they all ended up asleep by four in the morning – which was far later than the managers wanted. The managers didn’t care too much though because they weren’t the ones that were going to be tired the following morning.

 

 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

The question for this chapter (you all are probably annoyed by these) is still what members do you like best - since not everyone has answered yet, plus opinions tend to change. 

There is also another question:

If the group was real, what members would you ship together? (needed info for later - the pairings you come up with aren't actually going to be the couples in the actual story, well, some could be however, I haven't decided who is paired with who yet because I'm still worried and torn between choosing the members of the group...)