Chapter Nine: Jhun

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

 

The day following the boy’s little mini camping trip, their manager alerted them that they were all being given a break to go home the break was a day and a night for most but there were a few exceptions for those whose families were living outside of the country. The reason for their random vacation is that as soon as the boys return, they will be busy practicing for their final auditions – the showcase – which was just a mere two weeks away. The boys had been practicing for it their whole time in Top Media and it was now quickly approaching – the company was trying to ease some of the tension that was building up in the group since the tension was rising as the showcase came closer and they feared that it would soon burst and result in arguments between the ten, possibly affecting their performance in the showcase.

 

As soon as the news was delivered, the boys had all packed up and went their separate ways, the oldest of the ten didn’t pack up though, he just left since he was returning to his noona’s apartment where he had been living prior to moving into the apartment with the other members – as the company had wanted – and his belongings were still at his noona’s apartment.

The oldest member was the first of the boys to be dropped off to where they were going.

 

Younghun trekked up the countless flights of stairs to the level of his noona’s apartment, silently grumbling about how he didn’t see too much good coming out of the visit – despite how much he loved his noona. He had a feeling his noona was going to do something that would ruin his little vacation. He took a deep breath as he pressed the button – hearing the bell chime on the other side of the door. He strained his ears and could hear little feet running towards the door in excitement and a little girl calling out for her mommy, alerting the woman of the guest – whom she already knew was there.

As the door opened, Younghun smiled widely as he felt his niece latch herself onto his leg. The little girl hugged his leg tightly only to let go as he kneeled down and picked her up, holding her close as well. The little girl happily wrapped her arms around her uncle’s neck nuzzling into the male’s hold.

“Younghun-ahjusshi,” muttered the four year old, stumbling under her words slightly.

Younghun grinned, pressing a chaste kiss to the crown of the girl’s head, “Hey Soo Mi.”

“Soo Mi, that’s not how you address him,” muttered Chan Mi, “He’s not that old.”

The young girl looked at her mother, tilting her head down towards the ground cutely as her mother scolded her – her lips stuck out in a pout as she hugged her uncle’s neck even tighter.

“Neh, umma.”

“Also, father came by earlier – he’s in the city for a business trip,” stated Chan Mi, “I also let it slip that you were free tonight and he wants you to join us for dinner tonight – he knows that there is some still tension between you and him, but he wants to get your relationship back to how it used to be before umma’s death. Also, Dr. Choi contacted me, it’s time for you to get your annual checkups – I know they annoy you as does Dr. Choi but it’s just a precaution we don’t want you suddenly falling into depression again also, you’re a month over due for the appointment, plus you have an appointment at the hospital for the annual appointment there as well.”

Younghun hummed, “So in other words I’ll be spending my time off at appointments?”

Chan Mi nodded, “I’m sorry Younghun, but the first one is one that I want you to go to.” Younghun nodded in understanding, “And the second one is one appa wants you to go to – I had my appointment last week as well. He’s just worried about you getting cancer, after all our family has long histories of it and plus you smoked like seven packs daily for three years – your lungs aren’t in the best condition, so we can’t exactly just let you go a year without the checkup.”

Younghun hummed in understanding before stating, “That’s an exaggeration – it was only one pack a day, noona, not seven and it was just one year.”

“I know,” stated Chan Mi, “but it’s still a lot.” 

Younghun nodded in agreement before looking at his niece, “How about we play some before I have to go to the various appointments?”

The little girl hummed and suddenly Younghun noticed something, “Where’s Jong Suk?”

“He’s having a father-son bonding day with his appa,” stated Chan Mi, “They went fishing.”

Younghun nodded in understanding before moving inside the apartment with his overnight bag and Soo Mi.

 

A couple of hours later, Younghun sat on a black leather couch in an bland room with off-white walls that looked rather yellow from the light hanging over head – which made everything look like it had a yellow hue. The male sat anxiously – not wanting to think of the past that still haunted him despite it being years ago – picking at a loose string on the hem of the bottom of his shirt. With an aggravated sigh, he looked up at the doctor who was on the chair across from him, looking at his file before looking up at him.

She looked at him, examining his actions; she then spoke up, “Relax Younghun, this is the last time we’ll meet unless you think you need to come in again.”

Younghun looked up at her in shock, “You’re kidding, right?”

She shook her head, “I was going to clear you last year, but you failed to come to the appointment.”

Younghun looked down at his hands in embarrassment, flinching slightly as he saw the familiar scar poking out from under his watch.

 “It still bothers you?” questioned Dr. Choi.

Younghun shook his head, “It just makes me think of the time I want to forget.”

The woman hummed, patting the male’s shoulder, “We all have that point in time – also, Younghun. I heard you got into the final round of auditions.”

Younghun hummed, looking towards the doctor.

“Congratulations,” stated Dr. Choi.

Younghun smiled and thanked her quietly, looking up at her – he could see how much she cared for him through the emotions in her eye.

“Younghun, before you go, I want to say something.”

“What is it noona?” asked Younghun curiously.

“I know for a fact that the entertainment industry can be extremely harsh on people’s mental health and their self-confidence – so if you ever feel like it ever getting to be too much, or if you find that you have something you really need to talk to someone about but don’t know if you can talk to your friends or family about it, you can come to me. I’ll always be here if you need help. I normally would stay out of my patients’ lives; however, with you going into the entertainment industry with a history of randomly going into depression spells, I can’t help but to be worried for you.”

Younghun nodded in understanding, smiling towards the woman – not really sure why he had hated the woman so much as a teen. Thinking back on it, it was probably because he was really stubborn in the past and didn’t want to burden others with his problems – he still didn’t like to, but he knew that it was her job to listen to other’s problems.

“Alright, Mi Young-noona.”

The woman smiled and handed him a card, which Younghun looked at in confusion, “What is this?”

“That card has the office’s number, my cell number, and my house number – that way you can contact me whenever you need me,” stated Mi Young, Dr. Choi, smiling at the boy that was fifteen years younger than her, “Good luck with the final auditions.”

Younghun smiled towards the woman, thanking her again as he stood up and bowed before exiting the room, following behind Dr. Choi as she lead him back to the lobby. He silently followed, secretly hoping that it would be the last time he entered the building even though he liked talking to the woman since he knew for a fact that she couldn’t speak about what happened during their meetings to anyone.

 

 

A couple hours later, he went through multiple different tests at the actual hospital and when he was cleared, he finally joined his noona and his niece in visiting his father – his noona was wearing a short evening gown that clung to her figure and made her look of her “social class” while Younghun walked beside her in a pair of black skinny jeans and a royal blue dress shirt – it wasn’t too casual but it was in no way as formal looking as his noona. Soo Mi, who he was carrying, was dressed in her favorite little pick dress.

“Are we going to go see halabeoji?” questioned Soo Mi, Younghun hummed and the little girl squealed in excitement over seeing the man who she hadn’t seen for a good year.

“You like halabeoji?” questioned Younghun.

The little girl smiled and nodded, tilting her head to the side, blinking at Younghun, “Why wouldn’t I like him?”

Forcing a smile onto his face Younghun chuckled, “I was just wondering since you don’t see him often.”

The little girl pouted slightly before turning her attention to look around the fancy restaurant they had arrived to – her eyes scanning the restaurant for her halabeoji. She then spotted him and pointed, making Younghun turn his attention towards his father who he was seeing for the first time in two years – the last time his father had come in he had used training as an excuse not to see him. However, this time the meeting was unavoidable thanks to his noona.

As Soo Mi began to squirm, he let the little girl down letting her walk ahead with her mother as he hesitated a bit, however with a deep sigh he moved into the restaurant and to his father’s table where his father was happily greeting his sister and niece. His father was smiling happily towards the little girl who he had picked up.

Younghun took the moment as a time to examine the man who he hadn’t really communicated with, within the past two years. The man’s hair was grayer than it had previously been and he was noticeably thinner since the last time – a lot thinner. He really looked unhealthy and it worried Younghun who suddenly started feeling really guilty about the fact that he had held a grudge against his father and had refused to see him very often through the years he lived in Seoul.

“Abeoji,” muttered Younghun suddenly, causing the old man to look up from where he was setting his granddaughter down into her chair. The old man smiled towards his only son and allowed his son to see his face – allowing him to see that he was getting more worn out as the years wore on.

Younghun nervously stuck out his hand, not really knowing what he should do after holding a grudge against his father for so long and with the tension that was hanging around them heavily. The twenty year old was shocked as his father suddenly pulled his arm so that he could hug him, the old man then stepped back and looked over his son, a smile on his face.

“You seem healthier than the last time I saw you,” stated the old man.

Younghun looked at his father in worry as he stated, “I wish I could say the same about you.”

The old man chuckled, patting his son head, motioning for him to sit – seeing as how his daughter was already doing so, “You won’t be getting rid of me too soon Young Hun.”

Younghun smiled at his father, however he still couldn’t help but feel the silent tension in the air – although there wasn’t as much as there had been their previous meeting ,  it was still very much existent. However after the countless arguments within the past six years, it was understandable, especially since their previous meeting had been a horrible one that had ended in a big argument.

Younghun took his seat as did his father.  The dinner was relatively quiet and consisted mainly of conversation between his father and sister with him adding a few remarks on the side as well as his niece butting into the conversation when she wasn’t putting food into .

 

As the family started to head in their different directions, Younghun was pulled to the side by his father – who had told Chan Mi to take the dozing Soo Mi to the car and wait for Younghun so that they could talk in private.

“Younghun,” stated the old man, standing outside with his son.

“Neh, abeoji?”

“I’m proud of you, I hope you know that,” stated the male, “Also, congratulations – I heard you got into the final round of auditions – really, congratulations. I really wish I could come see the finals but I’m going to be on a business trip in Japan at that time. Chan Mi already promised me to cheer for you since I’m not going to be there. Also, son, I know our relationship is a bit strained and I know that you know I still don’t fully support your career choice – however, it’s your life and you’re old enough to choose what you think is best for yourself, so I’ll stop trying to interfere and change your mind, but please know that I’m always going to be there for you to fall back on.”

Younghun smiled, hugging his father – thankful for the man’s words since they were the words he had been waiting for, for six years – since he left Jeju to go to Seoul. However, when he realized that he was hugging his father, he automatically backed away and bowed respectfully, only to be pulled into a hug by his father again.

“Take care of your noona, alright?” stated the man.

Younghun smiled and nodded, “Abeoji, be sure to take care of yourself, alright?”

The older man smiled, patting his son’s shoulder, “Take care of yourself son, the press can tear people apart, so be careful – and continue you to think positive.”

Younghun nodded towards his father in understanding, following his father’s line of sight to the scar that was peeking out from under his watch yet again.

“Neh, abeoji,” responded Younghun.

“Now, go – you need your rest, I can tell that you haven’t had an day of rest in weeks,” stated the old man, patting his son’s cheeks now, “Also, your noona looks like she is about to fall asleep as well.”

“Neh, abeoji,” stating Younghun, smiling, he hugged his father one last time before moving towards the car, “Abeoji, have a safe trip home.”

“I will, son,” stated the man, “I’ll call when I arrive home in Jeju.”

“Alright, abeoji,” stated Younghun, smiling, opening the car door and getting ready to get into the driver’s seat.

“Have a safe trip back to the apartment as well,” stated the old man.

“Neh, abeoji,” responded Younghun again, nodding towards the old man – who he was really scared of leaving by himself, since the day of his mother’s death had been similar to this. He had been the last to see her before she suddenly lost her battle against cancer.

As soon as the car door was shut and Younghun started the engine, Chan Mi placed a hand on his upper arm, knowing exactly what her brother was thinking about due to his expression, “Don’t worry, Younghun, he’s not going anywhere any time soon – you heard him didn’t you?”

Younghun smiled faintly, nodding in response to his sister’s words, “I know, but I can’t help but to worry – especially with things seeming as bright as they are.”

The woman nodded in understanding and her brother’s hair, “Let’s get home.”

“Neh,” responded Younghun, pulling out of the parking lot and throwing one last wave to his abeoji before turning his attention back to the road – his mind cleared of most of the previous worries that had plagued it.

 

I'm back. ^^ For now.

I decided to post a chapter about Younghun as an example for you all whom are writing a chapter about your characters. As you can tell this chapter has some "secrets" that will come back later on in the story - that I can use later on in the story. 

For those of you who have told me that they are doing your character's chapter, how is it going? Are they going to be ready soon? For those I haven't heard from, are you going to write one or not?  If you don't want to write one please let me know so I can write a chapter including an insight on your character - which will come from what you told me about your character on the application.

 

 

Also, for those of you who wanted a fan account of the B.A.P. Live on Earth Tour in Washington D.C. here is a link to the blog post: 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/548116